Thread: Carpet: Is it possible?

Member ID
    CZCC-5498

Default Carpet: Is it possible?

Interior questions:

I was wondering if you could do your own carpet job and not need to buy the expensive kits from MSA or Victoria British?

Also where is the best bang for your buck insulation and adhesive?

Also which is better just prime and paint job for the interior or POR 15?

Member ID
    CZCC-5447

Default carpet job

I had cranberry carpet installed in my first 72. Even the trans tunnel. Looked good. Sort of "wall to wall" if you will. I would suggest POR-15 for interior "under carpeting" paint. Insulation depends on your taste. Loud exhaust? Tunes? Just want quiet?
    Depends on what you want and how much to spend.

Member ID
    CZCC-5498

Sound wise I want quiet, I could care less about loud exhaust.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I have done my own carpet for years! I got tired of having to accept cheep carpet kits that would not fit after insulating the floorboards and tunnels, I use 3M Weldwood Contact cement to hold the carpet and the pad in.
    I have found that the carpeting with a fade and stain guarantee is the lowest maintenance, but the carpet with a foam backing is the easiest to work with, and the best insulating.
    I use Urethand truck bed liner to seal the inside of the floors, it also deadens them to transmitted vibration, then I use HeatShield aluminized jute (shiney side down) to pad the carpet.

I will post an article about this in the Technical articles forum
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-5498

Great thanks, think you could tell me where I can pick up these things?

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I'll put a more detailed article up tonight, but I bought the carpet and adhesive from Home Depot/Lowes/Carpet Store, and the Bedliner form AutoZone, and the Heat shield from JC Whitney.
    They are available from other sources. Check Ebay for the generic form of HeatShield. If you have other questions, just ask. I am currently applying most of it to my in-laws truck. In the mean-time, check out my 280ZX carpeting at hls30.com-the carpet came from Home Depot, I even carpeted the headliner-I will upload a picture to my gallery.
    Will

P.S. I will put a link on this forum to make the article easy to find.
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I have the majority of the article done, but after letting someone read it who has no familiarity with carpeting a car. I found that I need to work on the clarity of a few of my explanations-since I am in the throws of the unclear parts on the truck I mentioned, I will shoot some video to take stills from. It will be the weekend before I have the chance to do this, so it should be posted on Monday.
    Will

Member ID
    CZCC-2476

Question question...

To the best of my understanding Automotive grade carpet is fire retardant. Is home carpetting? Granted you are not manufacturing an automobile for sell but the floorboards of a car, especially turbo, are subject to higher temps ,and often at that, than that of a house. A professional automotive upholstery shop doesn't use just any carpet either they buy the automotive grade carpetting. Just a question and possibly some food for thought.

Nate

Remember the Vans from the 70's and 80's with the "wall-to-wall" shag carpetting!
    -Nate

1972 Datsun 240Z #HLS30-47945 (aka: Kikka)
    2007 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed SE 4x4 6 spd
    2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8s SE (Wife-Mobile)

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

That is a good point CoastGuardZ! Many of the carpet offerings at Home Depot and Lowes are fire retadant-just don't expect to find that info from the attendant-you have to look at and decipher the markings on the back, or contact the Manufacturer. As a side note, the finest cars out there have used wool carpeting-with no fire rating at all. In addition, the aluminized jute has the highest fire rating and most efficient thermal barrier of any readily available underlayment!

Compare the quality of the automotive carpet to the home carpet-in most cases, there is no comparison-certianly not at the same price per linear yard.!

Keep hitting me up for the details I leave out!

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

My carpeted headliner is now in my gallery:

http://www.classicZcars.com/photopos...php?photo=9071

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

The article is written, but the pictures were horrid, I don't want to post it with out them-they are truely worth 1000 words...I will take new pictures soon.
    Will

Member ID
    CZCC-6323

Default carpet for 240Z

I bought a carpet from Auto Interior and Upholstery, try this URL:
    http://www.auto-interior.com/datsun1.html#240Z

It was $134 for a five piece set with sewn bound edges, 80/20 loop. The front sections didn't have the snaps like the original carpet, but I was able to remove the snaps from the old carpet and put them on the new set.

The new carpet looks excellent and made a huge improvement in the look of my interior.

I'll get photos posted in my gallery soon.

Kenny P.

Member ID
    CZCC-6534

Default mm

I cant seem to find your article in the tech section

Please, I am in need of those information

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I never posted it because the pictures were soo bad. I will be carpeting the floors of a '73 in a few days. I will take new(and better)pictures and post the article then.
    Will

Member ID
    CZCC-6534

Default m

Thank you very much
    I will be checking it.

Do you know where I can find information on restore/refresh car seats by DIY?
    I just bought this 1979 280z and the interior is horrible

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Contact Ron Fryer at http://www.autoupholsterykits.com/
    He made me a set of leather oem style upholstery for my ZX. Terrific price, quality and worksmanship. He also does Vinyl, and will get as close to the factory look as you would like-he far exceeded my expectations!
    I was going to give you a link to my site so you could see the seats, but I checked it first to find the pictures are not showing.
    I will put them in my gallery here, and fix the site tomorrow
    Will

Member ID
    CZCC-6534

Default mm

I am living in New Zealand, somewhere in Southen hemisphere, next to Australia. We dont have many people doing the seat restore so I decide to tackle the tasks on my own. Thanks for the links but I really do need some technical info so I can perform the restoration on my own here.

Thanks again and I am looking forward to see your articles

Thread Information