Thread: Glove box replacement?

Member ID
    CZCC-6615

Default Glove box replacement?

My glove box in my 71 240z is in pretty bad shape (ok so I ripped it when I took my dash out). Wondering if a newer z car glove box would fit? If so what year/model would you recommend? I was hopping to find one that was plastic, that would hold up a bit better then the cardboard one it came with.

Thanks

Jason

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

There are probably plenty of us around that would love a 240Z cardboard glovebox. I've heard that the later plastic boxes (260, 280?) will fit but can only be installed with the dashboard out. I for one would happily settle for someone just providing me with a measured drawing from which I could fabricate a replacement.
    -Mike
    Add your Z to my online spreadsheet registry

Member ID
    CZCC-3674

Mike

I might be able to help there. I think I have a very shabby but complete cardboard glovebox which I can take apart to provide the measurements for. The originals cardboard parts are only stapled together before fitting in the car.

Andrew

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Originally posted by abas
    I might be able to help there. I think I have a very shabby but complete cardboard glovebox which I can take apart to provide the measurements for. The originals cardboard parts are only stapled together before fitting in the car.
    That would be fabulous. It's been over 15 years since I ruined mine (probably trying to get to the clock) and as you say I recall that it was fairly fragile cardboard just stapled together. I'd even consider fabricating extras for anyone else who might need one.

I don't recall if it was symmetric but I can always reverse the pattern if not. Which car is it from, the LHD or RHD?
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-3674

Originally posted by MikeW

I don't recall if it was symmetric but I can always reverse the pattern if not. Which car is it from, the LHD or RHD?
    It's from my LHD car. But I think ( without having checked so I could be wrong) that the LHD and RHD ones are the same.

I'll dig the glovebox out of my storage in the next day or so and get the measurements.

regards

Andrew

Member ID
    CZCC-791

........... I'd even consider fabricating extras for anyone else who might need one...........
    Careful now Mike, the line up is liable to get long for a new glovebox. I'd like to have a new one if this project comes to fruition. Please keep me in mind if this happens. Thanks.

Member ID
    CZCC-5573

Default Glove Box Replacement

I used my old old box and carefully remove the staples, traced the parts onto some heavy duty poster board and cut them out with a razor knife. I scored the back side at each location where there would be a bend so that it would be clean and sharp. Then I covered the inside with the same fabric that I used on my seats. It's not stock but it looks kinda cool. I chose to glue the pieces together for a cleaner look rather than use staples or rivets. BTW, I had to remove the heater fan/box and right side defroster vent tube to get my box out and then back in.

Photo of finished glove box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glove box.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	419.8 KB 
ID:	5074  

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Originally posted by Bambikiller240
    Careful now Mike, the line up is liable to get long for a new glovebox. I'd like to have a new one if this project comes to fruition. Please keep me in mind if this happens. Thanks.
    You're officially at the top of the list. All you have to do now is encourage Andrew to get me the information.

I'd like to try to match the original as close as possible so high quality close-up pictures would be quite helpful.
    -Mike

240 Z Owner/Nut Case dhoneycutt's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4557

I was also thinking about making one using a what looks to be good original in a spare dash I bought. I was thinking about making it out of fiberglass using a vinyl material with spray adhesive to finish off the inside. I have some other projects going on with the Z so it will still be a while. I will post back here when I get ready.
    David A. Honeycutt
    United States Air Force, Retired

1972 Datsun 240Z HLS3079961
    A Work in Progress

2004 Mazda 6s
    2009 BMW 535xi

The Only Difference Between Men & Boys... Is The Price Of Their Toys!

Member ID
    CZCC-4747

Default eagerly waiting

We will be on the edge of our chairs waiting.
    Brian
    Ramstein, Germany
    Lady J has been sold..Feb. 20, 2007
    "I miss my Z!"
    Shift_Imagination
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1727310
    http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=L...ch=izzy%20numa

Member ID
    CZCC-3604

slightly OT but does anyone know how to get the glovebox open if the lock is stuck in the "locked" position? i locked it about 3 years ago and havent been able to unlock it since. i dont even know whats in there.
    73 240z,
    sequential Fuel injected L28 3 Litre,
    152 KW @ wheels (6800RPM)
    300zx TT Brakes, R200 LSD
    Sydney Australia

Member ID
    CZCC-791

You're officially at the top of the list. All you have to do now is encourage Andrew to get me the information.
    Officially cheering on Andrew to provide sufficient information to build Gloveboxes!

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Originally posted by Brett240
    slightly OT but does anyone know how to get the glovebox open if the lock is stuck in the "locked" position? i locked it about 3 years ago and havent been able to unlock it since. i dont even know whats in there.
    Have you tried spraying a graphite spray lubricant into the lock assembly to "unstick" the works? Then use your key (spray it also) and wiggle it about. I have had luck on occasion trying this method.

Member ID
    CZCC-3604

thanks carl,
    cant hurt to give it a shot, ill see what happens...
    73 240z,
    sequential Fuel injected L28 3 Litre,
    152 KW @ wheels (6800RPM)
    300zx TT Brakes, R200 LSD
    Sydney Australia

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

Default Im fortunate

I am fortunate to have the original and very good condition carboard glove box in my 240z still.
    I don't wanna pull it out atm because i don't wanna ruin it as the last time i tried i did as MikeW and ruined it.

If i ever do though I'll make the measurements and let you guys know. I should take some photos aswell.

Member ID
    CZCC-6615

Default Poster Board?

Poster board?

Thats not a bad idea? I'll have to give that a try. Hopefully I'll be able to pick my car up from the shop next week. I'm having my wife's uncle (one of the best mechanics I know for old datsuns and toyotas) do some work on the front end.

Thanks

Jason

Member ID
    CZCC-3674

Default progress on glovebox measurements

I have produced some paper templates for the glove box sections which I will send to MikeW on Monday. It is far easier to do this than to try and post the measurements here. He should have them in a week or 10 days.

Andrew

Member ID
    CZCC-5573

Default Glove Box

Maybe someone could scan the idividual templates and make a downloadable PDF file? I could do it, if nobody else wants to. I would trace mine and do just that, but I threw the template away after I made mine, not thinking I might need them.
    Brett

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Default Re: Glove Box

Originally posted by bimini_blue
    Maybe someone could scan the idividual templates and make a downloadable PDF file? I could do it, if nobody else wants to. I would trace mine and do just that, but I threw the template away after I made mine, not thinking I might need them.
    I'll be happy to do that once I get the templates from Andrew. Another thing that would help tremendously would be to get an idea of the proper thickness and density of the cardboard. I plan on shopping around (craft stores, art supply stores, etc.) to find the closest possible match. If anyone has an original glovebox that's beyond all hope it would be great if I could get a scrap of the cardboard. If that's too much to ask a close approximation would be useful (such as if you could find a scrap of an old pressboard box that matches).
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-3674

Default Re: Re: Glove Box

I'll be happy to do that once I get the templates from Andrew. Another thing that would help tremendously would be to get an idea of the proper thickness and density of the cardboard.
    Mike

I'll enclose a piece of my old knackered glove box with the templates.

regards

Andrew

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I have one I removed the staples from as well, some of the pieces fell apart, but fortunately they were parts that had been paired(two of each piece was used) so there is still enough to have it right. I was going to cut them out of some sheet ABS I have for vacuum forming(really close in thickness). and screw them together.
    MikeW, if you make them out of the heavy paper, you might saturate them with resin, or POR15 to make them less likely to crumble through time. I would make sure they can still be taken apart to facilitate installation and removal.
    Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Default First attempt

With a huge thanks to Andrew I've made a prototype replacement glovebox liner. His templates arrived this morning and I managed to find a very close match for the material at a local crafts store. Andrew also e-mailed me some high quality photos which enabled me to get the staples in the right place as well as find proper clips at the local hardware store. I plan on building a metal template to make the edges sharper as well as a jig to make assembly easier.

Ok, who wants one?

Name:	glovebox.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	5164  
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-791

I'd like to get one, Mike. Have you thought about a price point and/or shipping method?

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

I'd like to get one, Mike. Have you thought about a price point and/or shipping method?
    Not really. I certainly don't plan on ripping fellow club members off but I wouldn't mind being compensated for my time and for the materials. Feel free to send me a PM if you want to discuss what you might think reasonable.
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Hi Mike:

Actually, since I haven't been sufficiently motivated (or skilled) to create a replacement glovebox I do not feel that I'm in a position to quibble on price. You have gone through the effort (with assistance from Andrew) to make it happen and should certainly be compensated for your materials, time, and effort. A reasonable amount of profit wouldn't be out of line either, IMO

Respectfully, I'll leave pricing up to your good judgement.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Put me down for one!

Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-3674

Default great job!!!

Nice one Mike, impressively done ( and very quick as I sent the photos less than 12 hours ago!!!!!)

regards

Andrew

Member ID
    CZCC-3674

Mike

just tried to PM you and your mailbox is full

Sounds llike replacement gloveboxes could be fairly popular

Andrew

Member ID
    CZCC-4540

I also got the "full mailbox" response to my PM attempt. Put me down for one.
    Since I'm in the Atlanta area, consider me for volunteer labor if you want to set up an assembly line for club members.
    BILL
    1973 240z L28 engine
    1985 300zx
    1959 AH 100-6 289 v8
    1947 Ford 2N/8N hybrid (SN 8N0268)
    Kawi ZX11, Ural
    GaZClub #676

Member ID
    CZCC-5232

Take Paypal? =D
    '72 in perpetual progress.

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Sorry about the full mailbox. I didn't realize there was a limit and simply let old messages pile up. I just cleaned it up.

Someone mentioned PayPal; that's probably the best option. Each box will have about $5 in materials (cardboard, clips, staples) and will probably take me about an hour to make by hand. At my going rate hourly rate as a software developer that means that the price would be considerably more than the last NOS box I saw on eBay. Since that's obviously a joke I'm thinking about $20 (US) each. Obviously the mailing weight will be next to nothing but I'll need to get some cardboard boxes in which to mail the, well, cardboard box. My office is right next to a US post office so I'll try to figure out the mailing costs up front (and maybe even include them in the $20). Does that seem reasonable?

Since there seems to be plenty of interest here I'll go ahead and purchase some more materials and get started. I'll let everyone know when I'm ready to mail them out. In the meantime feel free to PM me with your e-mail address (for PayPal) and your shipping address and I'll start the list.
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-3356

Damn, damn, double damn.

I wish I had seen this thread sooner, I just picked this one up on eBay.

I'm having it shipped to a friend who works for Boeing on contract to NASA to have him reverse engineer it (fancy words for measure it, put it into a CAD program and print out a full-sized template) for me and I was going to start making them also, but I was thinking of something made of metal or resin so it would last longer.
    '70 240Z - HLS30-08215 - Production Date 8/70
    '70 240Z - HLS30-06293 - Rusty and has Identity Crisis (must have been wrecked and the back 1/2 sectioned in from a later car maybe even a 280Z)...PARTS CAR!
    '71 240Z - HLS30-018482 - Production Date 1/71,Corvette Yellow, driven under a 4Runner, bought for parts, hit lotto with parts on car, may fix and put back on road

My Photo Gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Originally posted by texasz
    I was going to start making them also, but I was thinking of something made of metal or resin so it would last longer.
    I thought about that as well but you really have to squeeze and contort the cardboard box just to install it. I don't think a solid glovebox could be installed without removing the dash, or, if you're lucky, removing the blower motor and defroster vent.

It looks like you got a good deal on that one. The last one I saw on eBay, and it's been a while, went for $70.
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-1303

It looks like you got a good deal on that one. The last one I saw on eBay, and it's been a while, went for $70.
    And I wont bother to mention what I was quoted on my last inquiry. But, a hint, The ebay $70.00 was a deal. Expensive carboard indeed! Like Carl, I too haven't the previous motivation, But I do have cash for someone who becomes motivated to mass produce.
    DatsunVic CZC1303
    ダットサンビク
    72 HLS30 94071
    72 510
    70 SRL311 13136
    71 PL521
    Los Angeles
    Visit My Other Photo Site

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Originally posted by Victor Laury
    Like Carl, I too haven't the previous motivation, But I do have cash for someone who becomes motivated to mass produce.
    Ok, PM me with your e-mail and mailing address and I'll add you to the list.

By the way, mass producing is the key. I've probably got 6 hours of work in the one prototype - from buying supplies to assembling and test fitting to shopping for mailing boxes and prices, etc. Hopefully the more I can make the better off everyone will be.
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-4028

Originally posted by Victor Laury
    And I wont bother to mention what I was quoted on my last inquiry. But, a hint, The ebay $70.00 was a deal. Expensive carboard indeed! Like Carl, I too haven't the previous motivation, But I do have cash for someone who becomes motivated to mass produce.
    Yeah, about 9 months ago I paid rzola on e-bay $50 for his. It was used, although you can't really tell. Looks NOS. As several others have said, I thought about making them too, but just don't have the time. Go for it Mike! $20 plus or minus would be a steal for anyone that doesn't need absolute Nissan NOS stuff.
    Mark Brandyberry
    1970 240Z (11/69) HLS30 00215
    1978 280Z (05/78) HLS30 466356
    IZCC #802 & CZC#4028

Member ID
    CZCC-4747

Lightbulb

Mike, I would like one also. (I don't even have a liner ) I will try to pm you soon with my info.
    Thanks
    Brian
    Ramstein, Germany
    "I miss my Z!"
    Shift_Imagination

Member ID
    CZCC-3075

Smile Well Done!

Hey Mike,

Well done with the glove box! i don't have the spare cash now for a glove box, but would be interested in one in the future. Are you going to be saving the templates for future production? Maybe post a pdf version of the template to the website? If you want to sell the template at a later date that would be cool too. Thanks for all your effort and contribution to the Z community!

-Ty

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Default Progress update ...

I've made 8 boxes for the people who've asked for them so far but I'm waiting on a special order of speed nuts (the metal clips where the glovebox attaches to the dash) from the local hardware store before I can send them out. They didn't have enough in stock and I didn't want to send out the PayPal money requests until I was ready to ship.

I definitely plan on keeping the templates and jigs so that I can make more gloveboxes in the future. At this point I've spent over $100 on supplies and tools so if I ever want to break even on this little project I'll have to make some more.

I did, however, install the prototype box in my car and it's cool to have a glovebox for the first time in almost 20 years.

Name:	gloveboxes.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	247.5 KB 
ID:	5183  
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-791

I'll bet if you pop them up (one at a time) on eBay, you'll make a few bucks in short order.

Member ID
    CZCC-4028

If you were really ambitious, you could contact MSA and see if they'd use you as a supplier of the repro boxes. Could be a problem if demand got really hot, though ! They sell Charlie Osborne's floorpans....
    Mark Brandyberry
    1970 240Z (11/69) HLS30 00215
    1978 280Z (05/78) HLS30 466356
    IZCC #802 & CZC#4028

Member ID
    CZCC-4747

Lightbulb

Could you patent it? Oh, wait, Nissan already owns it, right?
    Brian
    Ramstein, Germany
    "I miss my Z!"
    Shift_Imagination

Member ID
    CZCC-1278

Can someone post a plan with dimentions so we can make our own?
    www.nostalgictrio.com Skyline - Silvia - Fairlady Z
    www.ozdat.com The Australian Datsun site.
    www.cafepress.com/vintagedatsun

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Probably not a very kosher thing to ask, since MikeW spent time, energy, and money (which he hasn't recouped as yet) to reverse engineer and produce the glovebox.

JMO & $.02 USD

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

If Mike already has $100 and gobs of time in them, why would you want to reinvent the wheel? I was going to make one from ABS, but in reviewing MikeWs efforts, here is a 10 minute solution for (probably) less money than I could do it myself, and it's done. There are other things for my car that need doing that someone has not already investigated and taken care of-I will spend that time and energy making up the next "fix" to help MikeW and everyone else out! We all share the same shortcommings in OEM parts, if we all take one of the problems-they all will get taken care of, all of the cars will benefit, and there will be high quality aftermarket parts available to everyone!
    I think that using the diversity of the membership (we go from Highschooler to Rocket Scientists), we can come up with fixes for several of the nagging, stupid problems, and all benefit. I certianly don't mind supporting someones efforts by making making a "fix" on a problem we share, and putting some money and another fix in the pot!
    One problem down, many to go!
    Kudos to you MikeW!
    Will

Member ID
    CZCC-1278

Probably not a very kosher thing to ask, since MikeW spent time, energy, and money (which he hasn't recouped as yet) to reverse engineer and produce the glovebox.

JMO & $.02 USD
    Well actually if you follow the thread from the start, it was abas
    who spent the time and effort reverse engineering the glovebox and produced a template, which he sent to Mike W who made a few.

Is he gonna cut abas in on the profits?

Also I woudnt pay for shipping for a piece of cardboard to get sent from the USA, when I could just make one myself. for less than the cost of shipping.

Are we going to stop giving people advice on how to fix their old zed's because one of the members here may own a car workshop and we's be doing him out of business if people fixed thier own cars.

So abas if you have the dimenions drawn up, i'd like a copy.

Share the knowledge. That's what this forum is all about.
    www.nostalgictrio.com Skyline - Silvia - Fairlady Z
    www.ozdat.com The Australian Datsun site.
    www.cafepress.com/vintagedatsun

Member ID
    CZCC-2692

For some odd reason I was thinking about this subject just last night. Hadn't even read this post yet. Was musing that if someone does make a replacement part, they need to designate someone on this site as a beneficiary of their plans or jigs and tools to make the part in case they should croak or get burned out on Zs and move on to old VWs. That way the manufacturing process won't be lost and future Z nuts will always have access to these impossible to replace parts. This is the kind of thinking you do when you're retired and have insomnia and don't have a good book to read. Plenty of ability on this site to make some of these parts, but I would suspect it's just getting the spare time that would be hard for most people. As far as getting the plans for the glove box down to Australia, that sounds like a PM issue between those concerned to me. Victor.
    73 Z, 06 Honda civic

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

To those interested in dimensions: I will try to come up with a way of providing something electronic. Others has asked about this and the problem is that it's not easy to go from a paper template (which is what Andrew sent me) to a measured drawing of some sort. There are a lot of precise angles and cuts and few right angles. I may be able to provide something based on a coordinate system but a small error could cause problems.

I think anyone who wants to go the route of producing their own will quickly find that it's a lot of work. What at first seems like a simple exercise of cutting and stapling cardboard turns into several hours of work and possibly a few false starts. You'll need to find the proper materials and likely buy some tools to make it easier.

Based on prices on the US postal service web page, I can ship the 1 pound box to the UK for $8.70 and Australia for $9.70.
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

MikeW,
    If you have a dimensioned drawing it can be scanned in as a rashter graphic, converted to a vector graphic, and then re- dimensioned in one of the shareware Cad programs out there. Then after a little fine tuning of a printers output, eveybody could generate their own correct templates.
    That will be fine for posterity, but I still want one of yours! Some dollars and installation time sure beats investing all of the time and money to re-create the work you have already done!
    Will

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

I think it's a hard one because I see both sides of the coin.
    On 1 hand why bother recreating the box when someone has gone to the effort to do it themselves.
    On the other hand if not about money then maybe its about the DIY factor sometimes we derive satisfaction from creating something like this.
    I know MSA was selling a speaker box for Z's and was asking $300US that was just too much money for me.
    I can admit there box is probably a better job than mine but at the same time mine cost me $40 in products to build.

Not to mention i found out later that a friend of mine imported one and he paid close to $1000 AUD after shipping and import tax .

In the case of a Glove box I think ABAS did a good thing and perhaps he could provide Mr C with the same diagram that he gave MikeW if MikeW has the time to build these and do them how he see's as a proper job then by all means good luck to him and if not for the fact that my Glovebox was in perfect order I would be buying off him myself just to save the time involved.

Anyway not sure if i made a point or just added 2c of nothing to the convo.

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Originally posted by Mr Camouflage
    Well actually if you follow the thread from the start, it was abas
    who spent the time and effort reverse engineering the glovebox and produced a template, which he sent to Mike W who made a few.
    I have followed the thread from the beginning. MikeW mentioned his desire for a template, abas offered him one, MikeW spent time and money to use that material to create a box.

Originally posted by Mr Camouflage Is he gonna cut abas in on the profits?
    I think MikeW is still seeking to break even at this point. If there are profits, maybe they will be shared, but that would be a private matter between the two of them.

Originally posted by Mr Camouflage Also I woudnt pay for shipping for a piece of cardboard to get sent from the USA, when I could just make one myself. for less than the cost of shipping.
    So make one. My opinion is that your public request is in poor taste given the stated shipping cost to AU and the efforts and expenses already incurred. (perhaps your request should have been in a PM)

Member ID
    CZCC-1303

I'm afriad I had (and still have) the same reaction as Carl and others.

If anyone is going to put in the effort to remanufacture ANY rare or NLA part, we should support it by purchasing his/her product and not undermining the effort to save a possible buck.
    DatsunVic CZC1303
    ダットサンビク
    72 HLS30 94071
    72 510
    70 SRL311 13136
    71 PL521
    Los Angeles
    Visit My Other Photo Site

Banned User
    Member ID
    CZCC-1315

My hat goes off to MikeW.

$20USD is very reasonable. Think of all the time and money it would take me to even try and make a box to similar quality.

We know how much it took Mike to get it right. No need for me to go through the same experience.

What means the most to me is, I rather give my money to a fellow member to support the same hobby that all of us enjoy!

Keep up the good work Mike
    -Brandon
    71 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-3674

I don't have another paper copy of the template, and realistically I am not likely to produce any more. Not because of any 'attempts to restrict trade' but because it wasn't that easy to do.

My original plan was to remove the staples from a shabby z glovebox and simply trace the pieces onto a template. I then found that the shabby glovebox wasn't actually from a z..... Me and my big mouth

Plan B was to produce a template from the one good glovebox I have. But I wasn't about to take that one apart, and so I traced around the sections of the box, and than had to manually correct my templates for any effect that the overlaps made, and then a lot of measuring up to make sure the templates were consistent with the assembled glovebox. The result was in total about 3 hours careful work. A few detailed photos to Mike were necessary to show how it all went together.

It's great that this little project has been so well received. Shows what we can do as a club together.

Andrew

Member ID
    CZCC-4747

I agree with Victor, and stand behind Mike 100%. Kudos to you for taking the time to make owning a Z just that much better!
    Brian
    Ramstein, Germany
    "I miss my Z!"
    Shift_Imagination

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Thumbs up MikeW's Repro Glovebox

Mike; Just wanted to let you know that I received the Glovebox today. It arrived safely, and you did one helluva job reproducing it. I can't imagine how you were able to get all of those cardboard pieces cut and bent to proper shape so precisely. And, all those staples installed in so many different orientations! Wow!

Since you have already installed one, do you have any words of caution, or tips to fit the new box before I install mine on Monday?

Thanks very much to abas and you for tackling this project, and doing such a great job!

YOU DA MAN (MEN) ! ! !
    Last edited by Bambikiller240; 06-25-2004 at 02:15 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4540

Default Ditto the Thanks

I PMed Mike with my gratitude for the box, but want to echo Carl's sentiment. This is a great piece of work at an amazing price. It underscores the cooperative spirit of this e-club. Thanks to all involved.
    BILL D.
    1973 240z L28 engine
    1985 300zx
    1959 AH 100-6 289 v8
    1947 Ford 2N/8N hybrid (SN 8N0268)
    Kawi ZX11, Ural
    GaZClub #676

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Default Re: MikeW's Repro Glovebox

Mike; Just wanted to let you know that I received the Glovebox today. It arrived safely, and you did one helluva job reproducing it. I can't imagine how you were able to get all of those cardboard pieces cut and bent to proper shape so precisely. And, all those staples installed in so many different orientations! Wow!

Since you have already installed one, do you have any words of caution, or tips to fit the new box before I install mine on Monday?

Thanks very much to abas and you for tackling this project, and doing such a great job!

YOU DA MAN (MEN) ! ! !
    Thanks for the kind words; I appreciate it.

Well, you kind of have to squeeze it a bit to get it in place. I suspect this is one reason that so many of us tore them up trying to get them out. The blower fan housing and defroster vent tube get in the way. This is one reason why a rigid box would be impossible to install without completely removing the dash. Luckily the cardboard will bend enough to get it in but still return to the proper shape (perhaps with a few wrinkles).
    Last edited by MikeW; 07-02-2004 at 03:01 AM.
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-791

I got the new glovebox installed on Tuesday. I'd forgotten how much you have to contort the old box to get it out. I managed to pretty much destroy the old brittle box in removing it. I was a bit worried about damaging the new one while installing it, but it came through just fine. It fits perfectly and is a very welcome addition to the interior of my car.

Thumbs up to MikeW!

Member ID
    CZCC-1895

my glove box was broken when i got the car. i took the plastic box out of a 260 i think, and was almost a direct fit. took no more than 10 minutes with a handy drimmel and not only do i now have a box, it looks better than the cardboard box, too.

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

I just found this thread, Mike. I got the three glove boxes and am very impressed. Thanks. You guys really did a super job.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-1390

Mike: I sent you a PM, I'm interested in purchasing as well.
    GatorJ
    1996 300ZX
    1970 Fairlady Z

Member ID
    CZCC-7006

Mike,
    I would like to purchase a glovebox from you IF your still making them. Just let me know the total price with shipping (AZ) and I can send a check right away. I also sent you an email but not sure if it went thru.
    thanks
    Brant

240 Z Owner/Nut Case dhoneycutt's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4557

Mike do you have any left? or will you be making anymore? I would like to buy one from you. Just p.m. me and let me know how much? I can do paypal if you are doing that.
    David A. Honeycutt
    United States Air Force, Retired

1972 Datsun 240Z HLS3079961
    A Work in Progress

2004 Mazda 6s
    2009 BMW 535xi

The Only Difference Between Men & Boys... Is The Price Of Their Toys!

Member ID
    CZCC-7781

I cheated and just bought mine from Motorsports for my 72 240z

Member ID
    CZCC-10802

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Bambikiller240
    Have you tried spraying a graphite spray lubricant into the lock assembly to "unstick" the works? Then use your key (spray it also) and wiggle it about. I have had luck on occasion trying this method.
    Wish I had read this twenty minutes ago.....was so mad at my glove box lock that I broke out the drill and terminated the tumbler. I didn't destroy anything else so, maybe I can find a replacement lock somewhere.
    My 260 box is plastic so, even after unscrewing the lid in order to try and jam my fat fingers up inside from the bottom, it was no luck. Now that I'm sitting here looking at the graphite tube on the bench, I might as well lube all the other locks for good measure.
    phiz
    GROSS POLLUTERS
    SoCal

Thread Information