Thread: seat belts

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Default seat belts

Is there a late model shoulder harness seat belt system that will bolt into my 240 z. I'd like to find a retractable type.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

One of the other Z sites(HybridZ if memory serves) has an article about adapting 76/77/78 retractable seatbelts to the 240Z, but be aware that the strut towers in a 240Z are not as tall as those from the later cars(the reason the quarter window trim is different), so the upper belt will be coming from behind at a substantially lower angle than intended.

Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-2062

The 73 240 came with shoulder harness'es but they are not the retractable type. Or at least mine did.

Member ID
    CZCC-5416
    4856′19″N, 11926′6″W Oroville, Washington at the top of US97 in the Sunny Okanogan Valley

Here's a site with an article on use of seatbelts from a variety of Zs to get retractable lap and shoulder belts for the early Z cars. http://www.automedic.org/smzcc/tech_tips.htm.

I put together such a combo and mentioned it and was criticized for using parts from a wrecker. They seem as good a shape as the belts from my 1992 Chevy pickup and are all Nissan parts. First time I heard anyone get razzed for recommending using OEM parts to restore/modify their car. The choice is yours as there are manufactures that make brand new aftermarket lap and shoulder belts that can be adapted. I'm sticking with the set I put together. Of course it doesn't matter much until I get my car running. Gary
    1970 240Z - 7/70 HLS30-07273
    1971 240Z - 12/70 HLS30-17821
    1972 240Z given away, then went to crusher
    1983 280ZXT sold to finance 1970
    1992 Chevy Shortbox K1500
    1999 BMW R1100GS

Rust Never Sleeps

Neil Young

Member ID
    CZCC-7027

Hmm, alordzot, my 73 240Z did not come with shoulder harness. I do not believe they were stock, option possibly??? I am sure someone here can answer that

Member ID
    CZCC-5231

My '73 had non-retracting shoulder belts. Very stock California car.

Member ID
    CZCC-4602

My 73 also had the non retracting seperate shoulder belt, definitly not an option piece on this particular car.
    Lance

73 240Z, tripple webbers, 5 speed, 4 wheel disk, Einbach springs
    98 BMW 540i/6

Member ID
    CZCC-3312

Quote Originally Posted by Schevets
    Hmm, alordzot, my 73 240Z did not come with shoulder harness. I do not believe they were stock, option possibly??? I am sure someone here can answer that
    There are bolt holes above and behind the quarter windows. This is where your shoulder harness is supposed to be bolted in. Some retard took it out apparently.
    -Andrew

03/72 240Z HLS30-70xxx - R.I.P. 2011/01/04

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Quote Originally Posted by GaryZ240
    I put together such a combo and mentioned it and was criticized for using parts from a wrecker. They seem as good a shape as the belts from my 1992 Chevy pickup and are all Nissan parts. First time I heard anyone get razzed for recommending using OEM parts to restore/modify their car. The choice is yours as there are manufactures that make brand new aftermarket lap and shoulder belts that can be adapted. I'm sticking with the set I put together. Of course it doesn't matter much until I get my car running. Gary

Hi Gary:

I remember that thread.

My car is a early 72, it has the pockets for retractable lap belts, but did came with the old style non retracting belts. Anyway, I bought some nice retractable lapbelts on eBay a year ago.

Just a few months a go I was at a Pick N Pull and spotted a 73 240Z with what looked like a nice set of lap and shoulder belts, so I snatched up the shoulder belts an brought them home. I started cleaning them and the more I fiddled with them it became apparent that the webbing was severely deteriorated and somewhat brittle. In one place that I bent the material over double, it cracked. Not completely into 2 pieces, but enough to demonstrate that these belts would provide no safety benefit at all in the event of a sudden stop.

The sun has done it's damage to these otherwise nice belts. The hardware is in very nice condition, so I'm saving them and will have them rebuilt by that place (in TX IIRC) that 26th-Z mentioned.

If someone can find JY belts that are in good shape, use them. Just make sure you examine them carefully before putting your life into them.

Member ID
    CZCC-5416
    4856′19″N, 11926′6″W Oroville, Washington at the top of US97 in the Sunny Okanogan Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Bambikiller240
    Hi Gary:

I remember that thread.

My car is a early 72, it has the pockets for retractable lap belts, but did came with the old style non retracting belts. Anyway, I bought some nice retractable lapbelts on eBay a year ago.

Just a few months a go I was at a Pick N Pull and spotted a 73 240Z with what looked like a nice set of lap and shoulder belts, so I snatched up the shoulder belts an brought them home. I started cleaning them and the more I fiddled with them it became apparent that the webbing was severely deteriorated and somewhat brittle. In one place that I bent the material over double, it cracked. Not completely into 2 pieces, but enough to demonstrate that these belts would provide no safety benefit at all in the event of a sudden stop.

The sun has done it's damage to these otherwise nice belts. The hardware is in very nice condition, so I'm saving them and will have them rebuilt by that place (in TX IIRC) that 26th-Z mentioned.

If someone can find JY belts that are in good shape, use them. Just make sure you examine them carefully before putting your life into them.
    Like any used part, especially one that involves your personal safety or that of your passenger's, you have to take precautions to make sure it will work in the way it was designed. I found a nice combination of belts and altho they're not new, they are certainly in good shape. I got my retractable lap belts out of a 280Z 2+2 and they are definately in better shape than my late 70 build car has. I got the shoulder belt from a 75 280Z two-seater and it bolts right where the non-retractable belt was and the difference in strut towers doesn't make any change, because they don't connect there. I only recommend going this route to someone who can find nice parts. Like any used part we put on our Zs, the nicer the better. For a 1970/71 car with non-retracting belts all around and no pockets behind the seat this is a good solution, but everyone needs to make up their own mind as to what works for them. My old '64 Chevelle SS only had lap belts. There was this weird chrome cylindrical thing with springs that would retract the belts (sort of wind the belt around itself). It worked well, but I'm sure it was an aftermarket add on. I think they still sell them, but not as neat as original Nissan retractable belts. Like I said, I was just a bit surprised at the reaction to my post in the other thread. Oh yeah, and I changed my screen name, because I never cared for the other one. Just something I chose because I couldn't think of anything else when I signed up. Go Zags, darned SF Dons anyhow . Gary
    Last edited by Go240Zags; 01-21-2005 at 11:06 PM.
    1999 BMW R1100GS

Rust Never Sleeps

Neil Young

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Quote Originally Posted by Go240Zags
    Oh yeah, and I changed my screen name, because I never cared for the other one. Just something I chose because I couldn't think of anything else when I signed up. Go Zags, darned SF Dons anyhow . Gary

Ah, when I got the notice of a reply to this thread I was wondering who the heck "Go240Zags" was. It'll take me a while to get used to the new ID. I'm not into college sports, what are Zags?

BTW, how do you use 280Z retractable lap belts in a car that doesn't have the pockets for the retractors? Do the retractors for the shoulder belts mount on the strut towers?

Member ID
    CZCC-5416

Quote Originally Posted by Bambikiller240
    Ah, when I got the notice of a reply to this thread I was wondering who the heck "Go240Zags" was. It'll take me a while to get used to the new ID. I'm not into college sports, what are Zags?

BTW, how do you use 280Z retractable lap belts in a car that doesn't have the pockets for the retractors? Do the retractors for the shoulder belts mount on the strut towers?
    Carl, It's getting late. I had a big a$$ reply, but then the browser crashed. So God or someone must be telling me to keep it short. Zags=Gonzaga, a small Catholic Univ. in Spokane, WA. My Alma Matre, as well as John Stockton's who went on to play for the Utah Jazz. They've been going to the NCAA playoffs for the past several years. Unfortunately they lost their basketball game to long time rivals and former powerhouse SF the other day. Pronounced gone-zag-a, not gone-zog-a. P.S. Not to be confused with Gonzaga H.S. in DC area where Bill Bennet and Pat Buchanan went to high school, at least that's what I've been told.

If you read the link I supplied it might explain it better, but the retractable lap belts from the 2+2s mounted in the same area as the 70/71 non-retractables did. This, I believe is because the 2+2 had no pockets to put them in because they would be at the feet of any passenger small enough to fit in the back seat. The 74/75 couple shoulder belts bolted in same location high up behind the quarter windows, just like the 240Z ones did, but they had retractors. The seat belt mechanism didn't involve the strut towers until 76 on, at least as far as the link is concerned and my observations. I haven't tried to actually bolt them up yet, but there seems to be no reason they wouldn't work. However, I need to figure a way to rivit the two together, just using a bolt and nut doesn't sound very attractive. I believe when I am done, you won't be able to tell the car didn't come equipped that way to begin with.
    Last edited by Go240Zags; 01-21-2005 at 11:57 PM.
    1999 BMW R1100GS

Rust Never Sleeps

Neil Young

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Thanks for the explanation , Gary.

I'll look for that old thread (and the link it contains).

Member ID
    CZCC-5416

"I'll look for that old thread (and the link it contains)."

I included the link, below in my first post to this thread. It is from the Smoky Mtn. Z Car Club and includes a variety of tech tips, including using the flywheel out of an 810 for a lighter one; fusebox repair; etc. Someone has put a lot of work into writing/compiling all this stuff. My '64 Chevelle SS had retractable lap belts (only) but having been the seventh owner when I was a youngster I am not sure the retractable part was original. It had these chrome cylindrical mechanisms that rode on the belt itself, when you pulled the male end across your lap they wound a spring to put tension on. When you unbuckled they wound back up. (It's kind of hard to explain). I believe they still sell these somewhere for people who want an easy fix. Out of curiousity I'll look and see if I can't find some for sale somewhere. Go240Zags (formerly GARYZ240)
    http://www.automedic.org/smzcc/tech_tips.htm
    Last edited by Go240Zags; 01-22-2005 at 12:18 PM.
    1999 BMW R1100GS

Rust Never Sleeps

Neil Young

Member ID
    CZCC-791

.............I included the link in my first post to this thread. It is from the Smoky Mtn. Z Car Club and includes a variety of tech tips, including using the flywheel out of an 810 for a lighter one; fusebox repair; etc. Someone has put a lot of work into writing/compiling all this stuff.
    Sheesh, Now why didin't I think to look "up" the page? Anyway, when I tried to save it locally, it turns out that I had already saved the info to my computer when I saw it on the older thread.

My '64 Chevelle SS had retractable lap belts (only) but having been the seventh owner when I was a youngster I am not sure the retractable part was original. It had these chrome cylindrical mechanisms that rode on the belt itself, when you pulled the male end across your lap they wound a spring to put tension on. When you unbuckled they wound back up. (It's kind of hard to explain). I believe they still sell these somewhere for people who want an easy fix. Out of curiousity I'll look and see if I can't find some for sale somewhere. Go240Zags (formerly GARYZ240)
    I have been using my late fathers garage as a work space the last couple of years and I found one of them last summer. (you'd be suprised what you will find in someone else's garage!)

Member ID
    CZCC-5416

Carl, those look about the same as the ones I had. Gary
    1999 BMW R1100GS

Rust Never Sleeps

Neil Young

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Default Gonzaga Girls... sing it again Bing...

..snipped... Zags=Gonzaga, a small Catholic Univ. in Spokane, WA. My Alma Matre, as well as John Stockton's who went on to play for the Utah Jazz. ..snipped....

Hi Go240Zags:
    If you were around the "Bubble Inn" between 69 and 73... then you would have at least mentioned Bing Crosby in the same breath as Gonzaga High School and Gonzaga University .... yes/no?

Was it "Goofy's" that had the hot spiced wine in the Winter... anyway there was nothing else in the country like "Gonzaga Girls" back then.. and I enjoyed every minute of them... ;-)

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Carl Beck
    Clearwater, FL USA
    http://ZHome.com

Member ID
    CZCC-5416

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck
    Hi Go240Zags:
    If you were around the "Bubble Inn" between 69 and 73... then you would have at least mentioned Bing Crosby in the same breath as Gonzaga High School and Gonzaga University .... yes/no?

Was it "Goofy's" that had the hot spiced wine in the Winter... anyway there was nothing else in the country like "Gonzaga Girls" back then.. and I enjoyed every minute of them... ;-)

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Carl Beck
    Clearwater, FL USA
    Warning Thread Hijack

Carl, Bing had passed on (Oct. 77) by the time I got to G.U. in Sept. '79, altho the legend lived on. Spent a lot of time at the Crosby Library he donated. It is now a student lounge I guess. We now have the Foley Library, named after the parents of another fairly famous G.U. grad. Upstairs atCrosby Library they had the Crosbiana Room w/ a copy of his Oscar and the White Christmas gold record. Even a few of his hair pieces (which he hated to wear). We liked to call it the Bingatorium. The biggest legend around campus was that he and his chums threw a baby grand or some sort of piano off the fourth floor of DeSmet Hall. I was there for the dedication of Bing's statue. The statue is bronze and is in front of the old libary. He has his golf hat, clubs and pipe. The Jesuits didn't like the fact that the pipe was stolen quite frequently, so I think they only put it in on special occassions. . His wife Kathy and Phil Harris and some of the younger kids were there for the dedication. I've included a photo of the statue, sans pipe. It is a must have in grad photos and alumni reunion photos. Bing's boyhood home is the Alumni House now. He is still revered by most G.U. grads. They still show the promotional film Bing made to recruit new students to Gonzaga. Yes, I know about Gonzaga H.S. in Spokane (G Prep). Just didn't want people to get the University and G. Prep confused with Gonzaga H.S. in the east. Bubble Inn must be gone, in those days my family went to the big town of Spokane a few times a year or I went for sports events, altho I have more family living in Seattle area. Goofy's must be gone too -- I have some people I know who live in my town that probably remember all those places.
    I believe I read that your first 240Z came from Spokane, correct. Were you in the USAF and based at Fairchild? Where'd you get your Z -- Jeremco Motors?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bing crosby statue.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	7019  
    1999 BMW R1100GS

Rust Never Sleeps

Neil Young

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Default Spokane and Datsun 240-Z's....

Hi Go240Zags (everyone):
    Believe it or not.. I'll get this discussion back to at least DATSUN and 240-Z's, even while keeping it associated with Spokane, Washington! Don't want to hijack the thread, but traffic is slow...

First... all 240-Z's came with lap belts and shoulder belts. Both being required by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). In the Series I, 1970/71 model years the two had individual buckles. One for the lap belt and another for the shoulder belt.

From the Series II "Late Model 1971" and forward model years, the shoulder belt hooked onto the seat belt's male side of the buckle.

As you mentioned and I am told - one can use the retracting mechanism from the 280Z 2+2, although I've never done it. I happen to like the manually adjustable types far better.

Meanwhile, back in Spokane, Washington....
    Yes, I know Paul. I actually purchased my first 240-Z in March of 1970 from Valley Datsun. Paul Jaremko sold it to me.... that is a long side story in and of itself... I had been at the local Porsche Dealer trying to trade my 67 911S in on a 1970 911E..... we couldn't get together on the price (they wanted to give me next to nothing for my 911 and they wanted top dollar for theirs..). I also had a 1955 Ford Thunderbird at the time.

So as I was on my way back to Fairchild AFB... I happened to pass Valley Datsun and they happened to have a silver 240-Z in the showroom window. It was late in the day and I thought they were closed, so I turned around and went back to look in the showroom windows. I had never seen one before and wondered what it was... whatever it was, it was beautiful!!

As I peered in, Paul came out of his office, saw me standing there... and motioned for me to come to the side door. He let me in.... and to make a very long story short... I bought that car. HLS30 001777.

Being assigned to the 92nd Bomb Wing of the Strategic Air Command... in 1970... my 240-Z sat 6 months in the hangers at Fairchild, as the Wing rotated overseas... six months in SEA then six months in the States... While in the States, Paul and I went auto-crossing on the weekends etc... and I wound up selling DATSUNS for him evenings and weekends...(while off-duty at the base).

When I was finally discharged from the service, I took a job as New and Used Car Sales Manager at Jaremko Motors (downtown store). I am proud to say that Paul and I were friends, and still are to this day. He and his entire family are typical of the people that make you proud to be an American.

At the auto-crosses, no one could beat Paul. I don't know if you know it, but Paul Jaremko won Nissan their First SCCA Regional Championship in 1964. Paul completed 14 successive victories in a DATSUN SPL310. (as mentioned in John B. Rae's book on the History of Nissan USA).

Fred and Pauline, Paul's parents, were among Mr. Katayama's first supporters and first Authorized DATSUN Dealers on the West Coast. Their Daughter and her husband owned the Dealership in Cor de'Lane, Idaho (Boudrey Motors) (spl??).

So what does all this have to do with seat belts and shoulder belts in the 240-Z? If it wasn't for those very early Dealers and racers.. we would never have seen the DATSUN 240-Z by 1970.

I still have the 1972 DATSUN 240-Z that I bought from Paul, at Valley Datsun at the end of 71. For that matter I still have a son that was born in Spokane in 73. Spokane is a town located in a beautiful area of the Country and it's filled with wonderful people. ( I just couldn't take the Winters and the Space Program was located here in Florida... so by 73 it was time to move).

FWIW,
    Carl

Carl Beck
    Clearwater,FL USA

Thread Information