Thread: 240z radio face plate painting

Member ID
    CZCC-11951

Default 240z radio face plate painting

Does anyone have anyexperience trying to restore the heater/radio/center console piece on a 240z. I have one with good chrome edges but the black paint is worn. My thought is to repaint the black but how can I protect the lettering for the heater controls? My brother suggested using rubber cement to cover the letters and it can then be easily removed but my concern is the cement would remove the letters. Any suggestions. I am trying to find an alternative to spending 200 dollars for a new one. Thanks!

Carl
    HLS30 00333
    1970 240z

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

As an experiment with my old cracked heater control panel I actually used a black permanent marker to restore the worn black paint. It came out better than expected.
    -Mike
    Add your Z to my online spreadsheet registry

Member ID
    CZCC-10534

I just removed the lettering from the panel after I went to the local Art supply co. and got some transfer lettering that matched. Each sheet had the complete alphabet with individual letters in multiples of 4 or 5, along with numbers as I recall. It was more than I needed, even with the few mistakes I made.

Be safe, don't remove your lettering until you've checked out the store and made sure they have both the font and size you need. Good luck.

Thread Information