Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 240Z Door Panels 70-73

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Default New 240Z Door Panels 70-73

Here's some information that I could have used about 2 months sooner, before I bought my new door panels from a re-seller. Oh well, maybe this will save someone else a few bucks. New door panels are available from the Nissan Parts Dept. here in Canada. According to the post on Hybridz, where I heard this, they are around $200.00 per side. I don't have any particulars and am just passing on a lead if you are in the market for new door panels. Here are the current Nissan part numbers:

H0901 N3300
    H0901 E4100

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

I got a call into Maple Nissan right now. He sort of chuckled and said he'd have to give Nissan HQ a call and get back to me if they're available.
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

Ron, I assume those part numbers are for BLACK, left and right side?
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Quote Originally Posted by Zak's Z View Post
    Ron, I assume those part numbers are for BLACK, left and right side?
    That would be my assumption. I going to look for the post on HybridZ and see if we can't find more info. I will link the thread here when I find it. The post is a few days old and I glossed over it because I'm not looking for door panels, but as an after thought, I was surprized it wasn't relayed here on CZCC.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread...0Z+door+panels
    Last edited by geezer; 01-27-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

The other side part number is H0900 E4100 not H0901 E4100

Member ID
    CZCC-14224

Those are the part numbers for black only.
    1970 240z #1905 - L30ET Resto-Mod Project

1971 240z- LS1/T56

New club forming in the Northeast. www.NYZCC.org NY,NJ,CT,PA. PM for info.

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

Ok, I called the guy and ordered a set. I will have a look when I get them to make sure they are the right ones.
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Zak, I have a set here now if you want to see what they look like. I will try to get a good picture posted later tonight when I get back home.

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

Ya sure Ron thanks. Did you just get them? I wonder if they are from a new supplier, slightly different, or just old stock. Why is it that they werent available for so long then all of a sudden theyre available in Canada? Did anyone from the US check down there?

Z
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Zak, those are the same questions I have. I bought these before Christmas from Charlie Osborne at ZeddFindings. They were offered by him on Ebay. There were a number of sellers suddenly selling OEM door panels at reduced prices from what was considered the norm. Previous to this the panels that surfaced on Ebay were being called NOS with claims of being leftover from the Vintage Z program. These appear to be new and come in very recent Nissan packaging. They haven't been stored on a shelf somewhere. I think these were recently manufactured and restocked by Nissan and resellers such as Charlie Osborne got the jump on us by keeping their ears a little closer to the ground perhaps. He might be reluctant to share the secrets of his livelyhood, but I suspect he is just better connected and learns of parts availability quicker than us. Here are the pics of the ones I have. That is glue/adhesive you see showing as darkened areas on the backside. The installation clips are in the bag taped to the back. If anyone else can answer these questions, please enlighten us.
    Last edited by geezer; 02-14-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

Ron... I'd be happy if the ones I ordered look like that. The glue you're talking about looks like surface rust on the metal in the pics. If they are being restocked in new Nissan packaging, then why arent they available in the US? .... or has anyone tried to order them down there?
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Ha! I figured the glue would look like rust in the pic, that's why I mentioned it. Trust me...no rust on these. Here's a close up.

Yeah, it looks like all Charlie did was peel off half the barcode/part number label and ship them to me. Don't get me wrong though, I'm glad to have gotten them, even if I had to pay a modest middleman fee.

Member ID
    CZCC-14224

Those panels have been around for at least 18 months now. Here in the US only one side is available and the other isn't. My local dealer order 4 of the same side thinking they were ordering 2 sets. So I am waiting them out to get them for close to nothing before they toss em in the trash. If you notice on your door panels....they can be used for USDM or JDM cars. The pull handle holes need to be made for the right application.

1971 240z- LS1/T56

Member ID
    CZCC-9965

The panels I got from MSA about 1 1/2 years ago were the same way; needed the pull handle bolt holes drilled through the panel. Otherwise, they are great!
    January 1970 240Z
    HLS3001399

Member ID
    CZCC-10665

If you need colored door panels, Les at Classic Datsun has a beautiful kit with the chrome strip and all. He only has skins so you will need good panels to make it happen. I believe the kit goes for under $300 for both sides. I saw a set of white he at the shop that were reapplied to an old panel, they looked awesome.

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

I purhased a set for my restoration last year. The damn things were a mint. I'm glad to see the price is coming down, I wish I could have saved a $100 or so on my purchase. The quality and workmanship were excellent. If you want to pull your interior together and make your doors stand out that is the only way to go (even though they are expensive).
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

Ron,

I believe these panels you refer to are older NOS. Yours look identical to the ones my dad found last year. We went to Va Beach last year to cut a Z into 4ths. My dad needed the front clip for his current resto. After the cutting we decided to have a look around. We saw two new 240z door panels in clear plastic with Nissan printed all over it in blue stuffed up in the ceiling of a shipping container. I believe my dad offered the guy $70 a pop and he said yes!!!!!

The adhesive looks identical. The ones my dad bought were definately older as there were a few tiny blemishes just from age.

I wouldn't have regret for paying the extra bit from Charlie though. They are beautiful and well worth $400 + or -

Member ID
    CZCC-5664

Quote Originally Posted by Montezuma View Post
    If you need colored door panels, Les at Classic Datsun has a beautiful kit with the chrome strip and all. He only has skins so you will need good panels to make it happen. I believe the kit goes for under $300 for both sides. I saw a set of white he at the shop that were reapplied to an old panel, they looked awesome.
    I plan on doing this for my Blue door panels. I already bought the plastic replacement pieces from him.
    Mark
    '71 240Z White 904
    VIN HLS3022975
    '78 280Z Wine Red Metallic 611
    VIN HLS30468702
    IZCC #13834 CZC #5664
    '07 Nismo 350Z Silver Alloy Serial #0007
    VIN JN1BZ34E47M552354

Member ID
    CZCC-14224

The door panels in the picture above are not "NOS". I have a set of NOS panels and the ones that are being sold now, the grain on the panel itself is different. I like the newer panels more anyway but this is why the part number changed a few years back. Anyone with the new panels, take a good look at them and then at the ones on your Z and you will see what I am talking about. Glad to see the prices are back down for now.
    Last edited by EVILC; 01-28-2009 at 11:22 AM.

1971 240z- LS1/T56

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Quote Originally Posted by EVILC View Post
    The door panels in the picture above is not "NOS". I have a set of NOS panels and the ones that are being sold now and the grain on the panel itself is different. I like the newer panels more anyway but this is why the part number changed a few years back. Anyone with the new panels, take a good look at them and then at the ones on your Z and you will see what I am talking about. Glad to see the prices are back down for now.
    Clive, I agree with you. I just compared the panel in my pic with the originals from my 10/70. I would describe these as OEM, not NOS. Looking at the front of the panel it would take an expert who knows what to look for to distinguish the difference. The difference lies with the vinyl around the perimeter. The "new" panels vinyl has a slightly finer grain. The difference is so slight, I could not see a difference until the two panels were side by side. The inner/center coarse vinyl piece is identical to the original. The chrome strip is identical. For a OEM remake, they would exceed anyones expectations. On the other hand I have heard, the ones that were being sold as NOS or Vintage Program leftovers were quite different and easily spotted. I have not studied the VP panels in person and will defer judgement from those who have. The backside of the "new" panels have staples all around the perimeter, whereas the originals have no staples and are only glued, that being the only difference I noted. Both panels came in a single, Nissan logo, purpose designed cardboard box with each panel inside an individual white frosted, plain plastic bag which was taped closed. Kraft paper bundles protected the edges from damage. I would highly recommend these if they are still available.

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

Very interesting. I assume my dads were actual NOS as they were just glued without staples and were in clear plastic Nissan wrapping that appeared to have quite a bit of age to it.

Member ID
    CZCC-14224

Quote Originally Posted by five&dime View Post
    Very interesting. I assume my dads were actual NOS as they were just glued without staples and were in clear plastic Nissan wrapping that appeared to have quite a bit of age to it.
    I have a set just like that which are NOS.

1971 240z- LS1/T56

Member ID
    CZCC-17326

Ron... I'd be happy if the ones I ordered look like that. The glue you're talking about looks like surface rust on the metal in the pics. If they are being restocked in new Nissan packaging, then why arent they available in the US? .... or has anyone tried to order them down there?
    Do anyone know if they are available in other colors than black ? Is there a different Nissan part number for Red panel ?

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

I asked the guy at the parts department and he said it doesnt say anything else about it other than the part number and a name. He wasnt even sure what sides were what.

I think you need to find the part # first then call about it. Is it listed in the parts fiche, or a catalog somewhere?
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

I had great luck talking with a guy at Avenue Nissan. I just asked for parts dept. I wish I had saved the guys name. he was able to give me all sorts of info and was extremely nice. He was the one who helped to get the correct part number for the other side I referred to earlier in the thread

The number I called was 416-783-3303 Avenue Nissan in Toronto. Apparantly there are lots in stock in VanCouver

Member ID
    CZCC-17326

Did some search with the E-Fast software and there is no mention of the color. Also did search on http://carfiche.com and only mention was for Black, Brown, Beige, Dark Brown colors. Nothing on Red.

Just spoke with a Nissan dealer located in Blainville, Quebec which is close to my hometown. There is 7 sets available in Vancouver (British Columbia) and 3 sets in Toronto (Ontario). The part guy at that dealer is searching for all available colors and should call me back with the details.

Price for a set is 425.97$ Canadian dollar (federal and provincial tax and delivery to my home included). I am thinking of buying 2 or 3 sets.

Anyone know if Red is available from Les at Classic Datsun ?

Would also be open to exchange one of the new canadian black set for close to new or new red set.

Member ID
    CZCC-10665

Quote Originally Posted by mikemerkury View Post
    Did some search with the E-Fast software and there is no mention of the color. Also did search on http://carfiche.com and only mention was for Black, Brown, Beige, Dark Brown colors. Nothing on Red.

Just spoke with a Nissan dealer located in Blainville, Quebec which is close to my hometown. There is 7 sets available in Vancouver (British Columbia) and 3 sets in Toronto (Ontario). The part guy at that dealer is searching for all available colors and should call me back with the details.

Price for a set is 425.97$ Canadian dollar (federal and provincial tax and delivery to my home included). I am thinking of buying 2 or 3 sets.

Would also be open to exchange one of the new canadian black set for close to new or new red set.
    I will ask Les....

Member ID
    CZCC-6600

Check out this "Blue Interior Kit" available on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsu...Q5fAccessories
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6b68_1.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	27842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6d4f_1.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	27843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72a9_1.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	27844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	76d4_1.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	27845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	748a_1.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	27846  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6746_1.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	27847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6996_1.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	27848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7103_1.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	27849   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7850_1.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	27850  
    Steve

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

Quote Originally Posted by lonetreesteve View Post
    Check out this "Blue Interior Kit" available on Ebay:

Yep, that is the same person that did Larry's top notch restoration in this thread http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...threadid=32275.

The seat covers are not correct for a 240z. At least one of the door panels is broken, and looks to have some other damage at the top. It looks like he used the blue paint he includes to paint the door panels. Probably the seat covers too, since I don't think they make these later covers in blue. I am sure there are other undisclosed items defects that someone will only discover after the fact.

-Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-17326

Did order a set this morning from Nissan Canada. Will be deliver before the end of the week next week. Will post a few pictures then.

Member ID
    CZCC-874

Let us know if they have any other NOS colors available. I have been looking for an NOS driver's door panel for 10+ years.

Marty

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Marty, it might be worthwhile asking that question on HybridZ, In the most recent post by poortecher, he says he works for a Nissan dealership and that there are 8 other numbers per side that he is going to look up. He didn't report back yet though. Maybe PM him. At least he could supply you with the part numbers you would need to order from Nissan Canada. Go to the link I left in post #4.
    Last edited by geezer; 01-29-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-874

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Marty, it might be worthwhile asking that question on HybridZ, In the most recent post by poortecher, he says he works for a Nissan dealership and that there are 8 other numbers per side that he is going to look up. He didn't report back yet though. Maybe PM him. At least he could supply you with the part numbers you would need to order from Nissan Canada. Go to the link I left in post #4.

Thanks for the tip Ron. Also I meant to say that I have been looking for "Blue" NOS drivers door panel. If anyone happens to find one for sale, let me know.

Marty

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

I picked up the door panels today. I got 2 sets, one for me and one for another guy here. There were 3 sets there and the guy said one was going to another dealer in Toronto today.

As mentioned, there are holes in the back on both sides for the pull handle. I asked the guy to check stock, and he said there were 6 left in Vancouver, none this side of the mountains.

The guy I got this time was very interested in it and had some different numbers to call guys directly to check for parts or something. I took a pic

Name:	doorback1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	27873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doorclose1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	27874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doorfront1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	27875  
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

Those are the same panels that MSA has sold before and the ones that people charge twice as much for on ebay. I think they may be left overs from the Z program cars. I got a set from MSA about 2 yrs ago and they said that they had been getting them from Nissan Canada until they ran out and then had to get them from Japan. They didn't have any colors other than black. It seems like they only made a batch of black ones for the program cars, probably to save on costs, because most cars have a black interior, so not much of a demand for the colored panels.

Marty - I have a NOS blue passenger side panel, but not a drivers side side. I was hoping to get a 903 blue car with a blue interior someday, but then I ended up buying #32, which is a 903 blue car with black interior. I wouldn't want to change the interior on such an early car, so I will sell off the blue pieces I collected at some point.

-Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-17326

I picked up the door panels today. I got 2 sets, one for me and one for another guy here. There were 3 sets there and the guy said one was going to another dealer in Toronto today.

As mentioned, there are holes in the back on both sides for the pull handle. I asked the guy to check stock, and he said there were 6 left in Vancouver, none this side of the mountains.

The guy I got this time was very interested in it and had some different numbers to call guys directly to check for parts or something. I took a pic
    Just spoke with my Nissan dealership and the 6 left in Vancouver are gone/sold. Apparentely my order was not put in fast enough to grab a pair ! What a bummer....

Anyone knows if the ones sold by Les at Classic Datsun are of equal quality with these ?

Member ID
    CZCC-874

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    Those are the same panels that MSA has sold before and the ones that people charge twice as much for on ebay. I think they may be left overs from the Z program cars. I got a set from MSA about 2 yrs ago and they said that they had been getting them from Nissan Canada until they ran out and then had to get them from Japan. They didn't have any colors other than black. It seems like they only made a batch of black ones for the program cars, probably to save on costs, because most cars have a black interior, so not much of a demand for the colored panels.

Marty - I have a NOS blue passenger side panel, but not a drivers side side. I was hoping to get a 903 blue car with a blue interior someday, but then I ended up buying #32, which is a 903 blue car with black interior. I wouldn't want to change the interior on such an early car, so I will sell off the blue pieces I collected at some point.

-Mike
    Thanks Mike. I was able to get an NOS passenger side panel from MSA years ago. I might be interested in your other blue pieces, depending on what you have. Send me a PM with a list if you are looking to get rid of them.

Marty

Member ID
    CZCC-14224

Just spoke with my Nissan dealership and the 6 left in Vancouver are gone/sold. Apparentely my order was not put in fast enough to grab a pair ! What a bummer....

Anyone knows if the ones sold by Les at Classic Datsun are of equal quality with these ?
    Just check every week.....they have been sold out 3-4 times over the last 2 years.

TRUST ME.

1971 240z- LS1/T56

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

I just called the Nissan guy again... cuz there were 6 sets when I was there earlier today. He says it shows out of stock Japan... he said he would make some calls but as is, its out of stock.
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Member ID
    CZCC-17326

I just called the Nissan guy again... cuz there were 6 sets when I was there earlier today. He says it shows out of stock Japan... he said he would make some calls but as is, its out of stock.
    Thank for the confirmation Zak. Did call back my Nissan dealer and was told that the next batch should come in from Japan at the end of March beginning of May. My fully paid set is in priority back order on that next batch (if it mean anything !!!).

Let's make a deal and whoever is inform on the arrival of the new batch will discretely PM all interested in buying a new set.

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

Hey, I thought you got a set... its too bad you paid for it and were told its on backorder. I dunno... I would probly get my money back til they are for sure in stock. May is a long way away to have paid up front for something. I thought I'd have at least a few days to buy another set if someone wanted them.
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Member ID
    CZCC-10534

What do you know....already being listed on eBay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsu...QQcmdZViewItem
    1971 240Z Tenth Anniversary
    1975 280 Zzzap
    1977 280 ZXR

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

The ones that I purchased last year on ebay did not 10,000 staples in the backboard, nor did they have waterdamage and rust on the interior panels.............?? Mine looked a lot better than that. It appears somebody could have reskinned these above^^^.
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

Mitchell... Thats not rust or water damage... its an adhesive residue. No rust.

moonpup... that seller is about 2 hours away from toronto. There must be a Nissan dealership in Peterborough. No reserve either.
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Quote Originally Posted by moonpup View Post
    What do you know....already being listed on eBay!
    Doesn't surprise me. It could have been a mistake listing them with no reserve though, now that the word is out they will be available again in May at the dealership without paying a shipping charge. They won't be bought by anyone reading this thread.

Member ID
    CZCC-10534

Based on their description (not rust....adhesive), I'd say it's either someone who's a member here or a visitor who checked out this thread. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Last edited by moonpup; 01-30-2009 at 03:57 PM.
    1975 280 Zzzap
    1977 280 ZXR

Member ID
    CZCC-17326

In anycase someone would be foolish paying more than 425.97$ (Canadian dollar that is) for these...

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

Heres another set... also the last pair available.

Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Member ID
    CZCC-10534

If I had to buy from one of the two....I'd choose our Canadian friend.
    1975 280 Zzzap
    1977 280 ZXR

Member ID
    CZCC-3299

Default EVERY time Reddat lists those panels...

He says "these are the very last ones" and he's been selling these for 3-4 years now! And that Canadian shipping is a JOKE! 110.00 bucks??? gimme a break!
    1978 280z A/T, No. HLS30-457084, purchased 11/2002
    1972 240z A/T, No. HLS30-60614, purchased 11/2007

Member ID
    CZCC-1608

Heh Zak,

Did you notice that the first door pic you posted shows that the panel has the cut out for the door courtesy light. The previous one didn't.

Did HLS30 240z come out with door courtesy lights? Or Nissan is making generic reproductions?

I've got them on my HS30. Not sure if standard though becasue the cable is a .75mm2 twin trurip (speaker wire) with a shoddy grommet and red lens.
    Zed not Zee

HS30-00352 still being rebuilt (year 6)
    HS30-101370 chopped in half

CZCC #1608

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

I dont know what you mean.. I just thought it was the holes for the armrest, window roller-upper and the door pull on the JDM cars. But from what others have said this is a repro part that covers both doors on both US and JDM markets. This does look slightly different from the other set I have, but I havn't had them side by each to compare fully.
    Last edited by Zak's Z; 02-01-2009 at 07:02 PM.
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Member ID
    CZCC-1608

This cutout here

Name:	doorback1.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	27930  
    Zed not Zee

CZCC #1608

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

I think Nissan is now making one set of panels that will adapt to all markets. The courtesy lights would be a nice feature to have for some, but my Z is being kept "bare bones" as far as niceties go.

PS - I'm still trying to see which "previous pic" didn't have the cutout.

(OK, I got it...you mean the original HLS30 panels?)
    Last edited by geezer; 02-01-2009 at 08:56 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Which picture did not show the courtesy lamp cut out? All the ones I've looked at on this thread show the 4 rounded corners stamped out.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I've had three different '71s, one Series one and two later cars. I believe that all 6 original door panels had the courtesy lamp holes pre-cut but not removed. Could be wrong about them all having them, but I know for certain that I have seen those personally on at least one of my car's panels.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Quote Originally Posted by EScanlon View Post
    Which picture did not show the courtesy lamp cut out? All the ones I've looked at on this thread show the 4 rounded corners stamped out.
    Zak and I were both confused at first about that. I believe 240znz is refering to the original HLS30 door panels in general and not a pic.

PS - Gee, I just saw your post Arne...now I've gotta dig out some panels and have a look................Yep, just looked and my two original sets have the courtesy light openings stamped out on the corners also.
    Last edited by geezer; 02-01-2009 at 10:41 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

Ok, now I see what you meant.
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Member ID
    CZCC-14224

Does anyone have a pic that shows the light installed? Would be nice to see it. Thanks.

1971 240z- LS1/T56

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Since when has Nissan been making 240Z door panels again?
    Bryan Pilati
    1971 Datsun 240Z (8/71; 920 paint)
    IZCC #583; TZCC #16; CZC #110
    I'm never serious unless I should be.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Quote Originally Posted by EVILC View Post
    Does anyone have a pic that shows the light installed? Would be nice to see it. Thanks.
    Search "Step Light"- Kats bought one on ebay a year or two ago-and he photographed and posted it.
    Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-14224

Thanks Will.

1971 240z- LS1/T56

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Apparently there were a couple of kinds of lights, but the only people who spoke up about having found preexisting wiring were those with 73 models. I wouldn't expect a 71 to be wired the same.
    Bryan Pilati

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Here's what I found.

Up to 7/73 - PN 26420-E4100 - optional in Japanese home market

They changed after 7/73 and not sure but is that both versions depicted in this illustration? Couldn't find the pic Kats posted though.

Member ID
    CZCC-1608

Oops, I put my new glasses on and now I see that the pic of the panel on the first page does have the cut outs. Sorry for the confusion chaps.

The lenses I have are red. I'll take a pic tonight and post. It's a pretty shoddy installation. The hole drilled between the hinges for cable access wasn't deburred on the footwell side. I'll change the wiring from trurip to circular to ensure a tight fit through the grommet in an effort to keep it water and duct tight. Probably overkill but I won't ever need to worry about it.

The more I think about it, there is no way to tell if my car was fitted with these at the factory or put on at some stage by a PO. My guess is that Nissan wouldn't have used speaker wire to connect from the assembly to the underdash wiring loom or at the very least they may have sleeved the cable. Maybe Kats can confirm what cable type is used or anyone else who has these fitted.
    Zed not Zee

CZCC #1608

Member ID
    CZCC-7211
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Okay, so we know that Kats always has access to everything. A white light would not make sense for the doors because when they are open, they would look like front lights. They should be red lights to warn traffic of an open door. I've seen this in some Toyotas I've owned. Anyway, they need to be internal to light the floor like courtesy lights.
    Last edited by bpilati; 02-02-2009 at 05:00 PM.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

In my experience all the Z's from 70+ had the step-light wiring included in the dash harness.

Look at the harness itself, right about where the wiring for the Door Plunger Switch exits the harness. On the driver's side it's pretty much at the end of the harness. You should find a pair of wires taped / insulated with some BLUE electrician's tape to the main harness. Those two wires (Red/Blue and Black; one pair on each side of the dash) are the wires for the step-lights.

When you connect a set of lights to them, you don't need to ground the light as the black wire provides the ground. (Remember, they're supposed to be mounted to the door panel itself and not to the door frame behind the door panel.) The Red/Blue wire provides 12v from the same source as the Windshield Washer Pump, the Clock, the Map and Glove Box Light receive theirs from. (4th fuse down on the Right of the fuse box)

Also, when you turn on the Dome light, regardless of whether the door(s) are open, the step-lights will actuate as well. The Step lights will, of course, illuminate when you open the door.

As far as running the wire from the fender into the door:
    I don't know how Datsun was planning or expecting to do it. But since there aren't any powered items in the doors and no way of getting power to the inside of the doors without using a wire pair, I'll offer the following:

Back in the 70's when I was doing stereo installs in vehicles (and yes, in the doors), we found that the easiest way we could "channel" that wiring without leaving it exposed where it could get pinched and frayed and end up with a "warranty" fix was to route the wire through some rubber or silicone tubing.

We would drill a pair of holes, one each in the door and door hinge pillar. One of the holes would be just barely undersized of the OD of the tubing, and the other hole would be just barely oversized. The undersized hole was so that the tubing wouldn't slip in and out of that hole, while the oversized was to allow it to slip. Which hole was what depended on which side could accept the tubing as it slid in. The side that was stationary also received a dash of silicone around it's opening. The tubing was of a length that it extended at least one or two inches into each side with the door fully open. With the door closed, the tubing will insert itself into the oversize hole, and will extend fully with the door open. The advantage of this system is that the wire was protected by the tubing (and kept straight and tangle free) and there was a modicum of "seal" at the holes that got drilled.

We used 16 ga speaker wire (extension cord type wire) for the majority of the installs. The current going to a step lamp is low enough that you don't need thicker wire. I only recall one installation where the owner insisted on "Monster" Cable and we just used two pieces of tubing then.

There are "no-wire" contact systems out there for use by the hot-rod builders, but they all have the limitation that once the door is open, there is no electrical contact or current. Since the purpose of the step lamp involves having current when the door is open, those systems won't work.

E

Member ID
    CZCC-14342

Hi

Very nice tips! Doe anyone know if that parts are still available anywhere?

Filipe

Z is the best

Member ID
    CZCC-1608

Here are a few pics of the step lamps on HS30-00352

Not Nissan by the looks of them. If you look close you will see that there were two mounting studs that have been cut off with a hacksaw. They are too small for the cut out in the door card. But the cable looks very much like a Nissan product with the ends heat crimped.

So sorry guys, I'm now not sure what the hell they are. They will not be going on the car until I know more. Not that the car is ready for them...sheesh.

Name:	DSCF3196.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	27958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3197.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	27959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3198.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	27960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3200.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	27961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3201.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	27962  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3202.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	27963  
    Zed not Zee

CZCC #1608

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Quote Originally Posted by 240znz View Post
    They will not be going on the car until I know more.
    To me, they look like the work of a safety conscious individual, maybe someone who made frequent stops on the side of the road. Who knows? Anyways, they are something that make your Z unique. Unless you are a stickler for originality, I'd keep them. Get yourself a paper route.

PS - Maybe I should explain that...We have an elderly gent here who delivers papers here early in the morning. He drives on the wrong side of the road with his door open, throwing the newspapers in the driveways.
    Last edited by geezer; 02-03-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

Doesn't surprise me. It could have been a mistake listing them with no reserve though, now that the word is out they will be available again in May at the dealership without paying a shipping charge. They won't be bought by anyone reading this thread.
    I guess the buyer didn't read this thread. They sold for $510 US, plus $110 US for shipping.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
    Not a bad profit for something that cost about $345 US a few days ago.

-Mike

...it must be Japanese BenJammin's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-15081

Default You think $110 is a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by cnixzgo View Post
    He says "these are the very last ones" and he's been selling these for 3-4 years now! And that Canadian shipping is a JOKE! 110.00 bucks??? gimme a break!

Just try buying something from that Ebay seller 'reddat' ("these are the very last ones"). He doesn't list shipping quotes and there's the rub. He rapes you on shipping. Charges Express or Priority prices and then ships parcel post or regular first class. Charged me like $8 shipping on a box it cost < $2 to actually mail... stamped right there on the package. The other side of that coin is he sells mostly quality and hard to find stuff.
    '72 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-8920

Well like some other ebay sellers, "raddat" does not list his shipping charges, if there is something I am interested in, I will contact the seller via ebay and ask what the shipping charges are to my zip code. I have not had an issue getting an answer.

Whether or not I thought the shipping charges quoted were reasonable remains another matter, but I simply factor them into any bid I make. I would hope everyone would do this as well, but based on some of the bids I see for items (not necessarily 240Z items), it appears that many people do not do this!
    Doug

'73 240Z (HLS30-126840)(10/72) Yellow (64XXX original miles)
    '66 MGB (GHN3L108501)(12/14/66) BRG
    '10 BMW E93 Silver

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Quote Originally Posted by BenJammin View Post
    Just try buying something from that Ebay seller 'reddat' ("these are the very last ones"). He doesn't list shipping quotes and there's the rub. He rapes you on shipping. Charges Express or Priority prices and then ships parcel post or regular first class. Charged me like $8 shipping on a box it cost < $2 to actually mail... stamped right there on the package. The other side of that coin is he sells mostly quality and hard to find stuff.
    Reddat sells predominantly what he buys at his local dealer-probably works there or close by-in watching over 100 of his auctions, four pieces were not available at the dealer-and they were all aftermarket or used. As an example he is still listing A new series 1 240z Console-not OEM, reproduction-I believe originally from MSA, and from what I understand from someone whjo bought one from him a year or more ago, the ashtray does not fit well-the reason MSA is no longer selling it.
    Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

I don't know how that guy sleeps at night.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Be fair,
    He is just trying to make a buck-ridiculous shipping charges not withstanding.
    If people are too lazy to buy a club CD and check parts availability with their local dealer, that is their own doing. Though, from first hand knowledge, I am certain there are some dealers who don't bother going through Efast and hunting part numbers and then verifying them-it is just too easy to say "No Longer Available."
    If you check with your local club, they probably have a discount at the local dealer. Our local Club gets what the dealership employee pricing.
    Will

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

I only refer to his "shipping charges"

Member ID
    CZCC-17326

For anyone on the North Side of the US Border : I am being told by my Nissan dealer that a bunch of new door panels came in from Japan late last week :

7 X left side in Vancouver/Nissan warehouse
    4 X right side in Toronto/Nissan warehouse
    3 X right side in Montreal/Nissan warehouse

The pair that i have ordered 6 weeks ago also came in with that shipment and will be deliver to my workplace tomorrow. Wow, Wow and Wow

Member ID
    CZCC-874

For anyone on the North Side of the US Border : I am being told by my Nissan dealer that a bunch of new door panels came in from Japan late last week :

7 X left side in Vancouver/Nissan warehouse
    4 X right side in Toronto/Nissan warehouse
    3 X right side in Montreal/Nissan warehouse

The pair that i have ordered 6 weeks ago also came in with that shipment and will be deliver to my workplace tomorrow. Wow, Wow and Wow
    Do you know if the Candian Dealers will sell and ship them to the U.S.?

Marty

Member ID
    CZCC-874

I just called Avenue Nissan at the number five & dime posted. They confirmed that that Vancouver warehouse had H0901-N3300 for $184.48 and Toronto had H0900-E4100 for $192.90. Unfortunately for me, they would not take an order over the phone for shipment to the U.S. They said you had to pay in person.

Marty

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

My dad would like one more set if anyone could buy them and ship them to us. We could paypal you the money.

Member ID
    CZCC-12190

Everyone

I'm willing to purchase and ship door panels to who ever wants them in the US. I'm in western Canada. Real and actual cost of shipping of course. Drop me a pm or email z240 "at" shaw "dot" ca and we'll take it from there. My pleasure to help. This is too important an opportunity for all of us to let it slip away.

Jim

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

PM sent. Please let us know asap.

Member ID
    CZCC-14933

Jim PM sent

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

Hey, Ive sent a set out to a member already and I'll do it also if anyone needs. I wont be able to get to a dealership till Friday though.

Zak
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Member ID
    CZCC-7395

Just ordered mine , $380.39 CDN taxes in both panels . I know I should wait until I get them in my hands before jumping around , but it beats paying the
    inflated Ebay prices in US dollars ! I will let you know......

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Quote Originally Posted by Unkle View Post
    Just ordered mine , $380.39 CDN taxes in both panels . I know I should wait until I get them in my hands before jumping around , but it beats paying the
    Don't you mean $380.39 US? I just bought a set for another member and the total with the taxes was $490.41CAD or $387.36US. There can't be that much of a price difference between dealerships.

Member ID
    CZCC-7395

Nope, $380.39 CDN. with car club 10% off .

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

The ones I bought a while back were $424 CAD taxes in.
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Thanks for the headsup even if it might be too late. I'll see if they will improve on the price I paid, after the fact. It depends on how much they value my business I guess.

Member ID
    CZCC-17326

Quote Originally Posted by Unkle View Post
    Follow your order closely Unkle. My first set was ordered and put in the Nissan system by my dealer in late January but someone else on the canadian Nissan network reallocated the panels...Long story short, new order had to be put in for the next Japan shipment resulting in a 6 weeks delay.
    Last edited by mikemerkury; 03-16-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-17326

Thanks for the headsup even if it might be too late. I'll see if they will improve on the price I paid, after the fact. It depends on how much they value my business I guess.
    Paid 425 Can, including shipping. Panels delivered 2 minutes ago at my workplace. Will try to post a picture tonight.

Member ID
    CZCC-7395

S'okay , it's snowing here right now . The car doesn't move until the
    weather clears . I like saving $300.00 anyday, and it's worth the wait !

Member ID
    CZCC-3299

Default 240z panels

jim , i PMed you also
    1978 280z A/T, No. HLS30-457084, purchased 11/2002
    1972 240z A/T, No. HLS30-60614, purchased 11/2007

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

Payment sent Jim

Member ID
    CZCC-7395

Just arrived today, 2 days after ordering . Nice new panels for $380.39CDN , =$306.10 USD, no shipping charges. Finally a Canadian gets a break !

Member ID
    CZCC-14126

I got the door panels in the mail today. They're great.......Thanks Jim for helping out a fellow Z owner. I hope I can return the favor some day. Guys like you are what makes this forum great. Thanks again.....Guy
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7600346077563/

70, 71, 2 72's, and a 73 240z....
    90 300zx and a 1996 Acura NSX.....but who's counting?

...it must be Japanese BenJammin's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-15081

Default Got my door panels from Jim....

... and they look GREAT! Thanks Jim / z137, that was an awesome thing to do for board members and I truly appreciate the effort. I know what a pain it is to get things coordinated and shipped.

Man, I don't think I've enjoyed opening something that much since I was a kid at Christmas time and got my first BB gun (oh, and the Evel Knievel stunt cycle )
    '72 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-10534

Double your pleasure, Double your fun
    Double your price....Screw someone!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsu...QQcmdZViewItem
    1975 280 Zzzap
    1977 280 ZXR

Thread Information