Thread: Steering Wheel - 300ZX / 240SX Wheel Into First Gen Z

Boat Anchor Repairman Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-24608

Default Steering Wheel - 300ZX / 240SX Wheel Into First Gen Z

The steering wheel on my 280 has seen better days. The foam along the top started to degrade like they all do, and the whole wheel was squishy, especially when hot. I looked into options and finally decided on a wheel from the 90 300ZX. This wheel was used on the first year 90-96 Z (the only year without an air bag) and also on a couple years of 240SX.

Why this wheel? Because I wanted something that "looks like it belongs". I didn't want a fancy multi-colored racing style wheel or a small quick turn go-kart wheel. I wanted something that looked "right". "Appropriate." Something that could be mistaken for factory. And as a bonus... It's still a Z wheel:

There were several hurdles in getting this thing to fit the old Z, but the biggest challenge is that the spline design is different and the new Z wheel doesn't fit the old Z steering column. I made new hub with correct splines, cut off the original 300ZX hub, and welded on my hub in it's place. Here's the hub I made. Aluminum test piece on left, steel real piece on right:

Back of 300ZX / 240 SX wheel:

Cut off original hub:

Welded my hub on. I'm no welder, but it's secure. Note the two prongs to cancel the turn signals:

Bottom line? The results are fantastic! Overall size is almost identical to stock as is the distance from the driver. The leather grip portion is firm and much thicker and meatier than stock which feels much better to me than any of the first gen wheels. Was a lot of work, but I'm very happy with the results.

Member ID
    CZCC-22303

Outstanding bit of fabrication work and it looks good in the car. Most important - you like the results!!!

Good job, earns a bonus "attaboy".

Jim Arnett
    HLS30-15320 12/1970, original owner
    L24-020208 (original)
    IZCC Original Owner Registry #53

Boat Anchor Repairman Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-24608

Haha. Thanks! As projects go, this was a more complicated one.

Here's a couple more shots. The obligatory "close up":

One of the things that always seems to be a weakness with the aftermarket stuff is the way the adapters always look goofy. Accordion rubber bellows and all that stuff... I never liked that look at all. With that in mind, here's a side shot so you can see how the new wheel blends in with the stock column.

Thread Information