Thread: New Owner! Yay!

Member ID
    CZCC-9429

Default New Owner! Yay!

Hi everyone!

I'm now the lucky owner of a '78 280Z. The car has 81k original miles and is in, overall, pretty good shape. Even after having it just a couple of days, I'm thrilled.

That's not to say the car isn't without it's problems. The weatherstripping is in sad shape in a couple of spots, but I haven't spotted any leaks. The car is equipped with the 3-speed auto, and will not start in park. I have to pull the car down into neutral to crank the engine.

The oil pressure guage stays in the first 1/3 of the gauge when running. I'm not sure exactly where it's supposed to be, but the dipstick reading is a little less than halfway between low and full, so I think and oil change is in order, if anything just to make sure the pan is full. Fuel guage works, temp guage works, and so does the volt guage, although the charge light doesn't come on when I start the car, so it might need replacing. Best of all, the clock runs and, get this, is accurate.

The interior lights all work, and so do all the parking lights and side markers. Neither headlight seems to work, and the fuses LOOK okay...at least, they aren't broken...the filiments to seem a little bent. I'll end up replacing the bulbs I guess just to see if it works...which I hope they do. I need to check the wiper fuse too...the washer motor was just replaced and works great...but I can't get the wipers to actually move.

Other than that, the only other problem I have is more because of me...I'm a big guy (6'2" 350lbs) and have trouble getting the seatbelt out far enough to fit...although it does after some pulling and retracting. I also have a habit of resting my leg against the center console, and it does get pretty warm.

Even with these issues, I'm very happy. I still need to pick up the stock Z wheels from the previous owner and get a balance and alignment. I'm going to try to tack a few pics for all to see on here.

Thanks for having me, and if anyone has any suggestions on my problems, I'd love to hear from you.

-Kelly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0174S.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	9322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0176S.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	9323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0181S.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	9324  

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

Virto, you dident give a location , where are you ? I am in the Portland Or area. Your lack of oil pressure may be because of a weak sending unit. It is a round thing with wire sticking out of it on the passanger side of the engine next to the oil filter . on the passenger side of the transmission there is a electrical cnnection where there three wires connected , this is the lock out for the trans so it wont start in gear . Make sure that the wires are all connected . This maybe the reason the engine wont start in park . Take my word for it , check the fuses with a meter , they may look good but I have seen fuses that looked good where not . This may save you a lot of unneeded time and money not to mention frustration. You may have a bad headlight switch . I drive a '73 and my clock works too . Welcome to the club , Gary
    I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dieing. CZC 1887 IZCC 12602 Member of NorthWest Z Car Club

Member ID
    CZCC-9429

Thanks Gary...updated my info so now people can see where I'm at.

I'll see if I can find my meter...haven't needed it in a while. May even just grab some 10A fuses, that's cheaper than a new meter if I can't find it.

Didn't see the oil sender on Zcarparts. Any other good places to take a look online, or should I start calling up scrapyards?

Member ID
    CZCC-9354

Hello Kelly,
    I also just recently acquired my Z. Victoria British has a website where you can order parts, but the website does not have the full listing of all the parts they carry. I recently requested and received their catalog (quite extensive at 130 pages) and they show their part number 71-602 OIL PRESSURE SENDER-GAUGE 280Z ZX 78-83 for $39.95. They also have an 800 phone number - 1-800-255-0088. I think I'd call them to verify this part number, because curiously they show the '78 sender to be a different part number from the '70-'77

Also, Courtesy Nissan has an online parts department. Hope you enjoy your new car!
    Gary S.

Member ID
    CZCC-9429

Wow...two replies and two different Garys. Lol.

Thanks for the input...bookmarking now.

Member ID
    CZCC-9429

Arrgh.

Well, late night curiousity has taken the best of me, and I replaced the headlamp fuses with 2 known good ones, from the radio and lighter, specifically. Still nothing to the headlamps, dim or otherwise.

Are the headlamps available at auto retailers, like AutoZone or Murray's? I'd hate to have to order a pair, and I'd hate it even more if they didn't fix the problem. I know the car sat for quite a while before I got it, so I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the bulbs were just busted.

I might feel better if none of the lights worked. At least then I'd know something was really wrong. Arrgh. Stupid payday far away.

Member ID
    CZCC-6323

Put that meter to use and verify that there is voltage at the headlight connectors. If you can't find your meter, how 'bout a continuity tester? Pull the connector from the back of the headlight, turn the lights on, and check for voltage. I'm not sure which pin in the connector is the low beam, but if none of them have any voltage, you'll have to track backwards through the wiring harness & switch to find the problem.
    Kenny P.

'73 240Z
    '82 ZX L28
    '82 ZX 5-speed
    Round top SU's
    Tokico HP struts
    Tokico Springs
    Urethane bushings

my gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

Quote Originally Posted by Virto
    Didn't see the oil sender on Zcarparts. Any other good places to take a look online, or should I start calling up scrapyards?
    Virto , dont buy a aftermarket sender , your Nessan dealer will have them. Gary
    I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dieing. CZC 1887 IZCC 12602 Member of NorthWest Z Car Club

Member ID
    CZCC-8997

congratulations for teh Z ownership!

a really nice one you have, I would like to have same one

keep it clean and stock

good luck with the parts, cant help that much with them guys in US do better..

c ya arround..

Mohamed.
    Mohamed.

Women, you would prefer to be Z's if you knew how do we treat them

Member ID
    CZCC-9429

Quote Originally Posted by beandip
    Virto , dont buy a aftermarket sender , your Nessan dealer will have them. Gary
    Just to clarify, what I'm looking for is:

Oil Pressure Switch - 1970 - 1978 - 240Z, 260Z, 280Z
    25070-S30

Is this correct?

Age really means nothing! agemeansnothing's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-8820

Smile

That's just beatiful have fun with that beatiful car.

Member ID
    CZCC-7309

About your headlights. Mine didn't work when I first got my car either. Click the brights on and off for a while to see if they come on. Mine had some crud built up on the switch, and clicking the brights a few times wore it off so they work. Just a thought.
    Drum breaks & Front Wheel Drive = Double negative
    Cardomain Page

Video about my 280Z

1977 280Z (Somewhat daily driver) HLS30385975
    1987 Buick Century Custom (When it runs, its great)
    1997 Geo Prizm (33mpg, nuff said)

Member ID
    CZCC-9429

Quote Originally Posted by Hrududu
    About your headlights. Mine didn't work when I first got my car either. Click the brights on and off for a while to see if they come on. Mine had some crud built up on the switch, and clicking the brights a few times wore it off so they work. Just a thought.

I've popped the brights toggle a few times, just to see if maybe the highs worked and the lows didn't. I don't get the "brights on" indicator either way, but since my brake warning light doesn't work either, I'm not all that surprised. I'm starting to wonder if the headlamp position on the stalk isn't making contact...it's just odd that both the headlamps AND the wipers don't do anything.

Here's a couple more pics for all.

Edit: Oh Hrududu, this car began life in the same beautiful shade of blue as yours. The PO changed it to yellow and then to grey. Looking at yours, I wish they hadn't done either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0186S.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	9327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0175S.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	9328  

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

Quote Originally Posted by Virto
    Just to clarify, what I'm looking for is:

Oil Pressure Switch - 1970 - 1978 - 240Z, 260Z, 280Z
    25070-S30

Is this correct?
    Just go to Nissan and buy an sending unit for a '78 280 Z this is the car you have , right ? I havent had any experience with a after market unit my self , however over the years I have heard from many Z drivers that have. So when one of mine went gunny sack , I just went to the dealer . Gary

Member ID
    CZCC-4995

you should be able to pick the headlight for 5-7 bucks a piece , but you will still need a tester , I suspect its a connection or in the switch being that the brights don't work, clean the connections you can find and spray then down with a cleaner and then a sealer, either motorsport or courtesynissan should have the sending unit , good luck
    72 240z Yellow
    HLS3077658
    Nickname "Rusty"
    Slow Restore

71 240z Red
    HLS3033776
    43k original
    Getting Done

Member ID
    CZCC-9429

Quote Originally Posted by seerex
    you should be able to pick the headlight for 5-7 bucks a piece , but you will still need a tester , I suspect its a connection or in the switch being that the brights don't work, clean the connections you can find and spray then down with a cleaner and then a sealer, either motorsport or courtesynissan should have the sending unit , good luck
    Yhea, I got the part number I posted above from courtesy. I think I'll order thru them because they have the fuseable link covers I'm missing in stock, and it's easier to order all at once. Plus, I think they have the hood emblem I'm missing as well.

Anyone have a detailed disassembly written up (or photographed) for getting at the headlamp switch. I'd like to clean the contacts on the switch, and make sure all the wires are still soldered on.

I'll certainly be picking up a new multimeter. I can't find mine, and it's pretty obvious I'm gonna be needed one.

Member ID
    CZCC-4995

home depot carries a line on contact cleaner its in a dark blue can that works wonders , its been a life saver for me
    72 240z Yellow
    HLS3077658
    Nickname "Rusty"
    Slow Restore

71 240z Red
    HLS3033776
    43k original
    Getting Done

Member ID
    CZCC-9429

WHOOOOO!

Tonight is the night of miracles.

Got bored, decided to go try the "flip the switch real fast back and forth and hope for the best" technique, and to my amazement, POP, two wonderful beams of (not exactly well aligned) light!

The bulbs seem plenty bright (for the standards of the day) and the bright toggle works too. I need to bring the left lamp down a bit, but heck, now I can SEE!

The car might actually be out to make a fool of me. The little lady came out to see what I was doing and saw my happiness when the lights came on. While sitting there, I commented "too bad this doesn't work" and flipped the map light. Boom. Instant light. This car is out to get me.

Unfortuneatly, the same method doesn't seem to work with the windshield wipers, so I'll need to check further into that. I'm still going to try and get those contacts clean...obviously that was the problem.

Thanks for the help everyone. Now I'm just waiting for the money to get the car registered and insured so I can take it around more than the block.

Member ID
    CZCC-4657

Welcome aboard

Sharp looking Z. Congrats.

Just so you know on the hood emblem that your looking at. It's hard for me to tell with your pictures but it looks like the previous owner had the emblem removed for good by having the holes filled in on the hood where the 2 little stubs go.

Here is the back side view of the Datsun hood emblem to show you what I'm saying.

Thought I'd point that out before you buy one

Best of luck.
    Jared (1977 280Z - SOLD )

"Any car can get you where you need to go. A special car gets you there with a smile on your face"

Member ID
    CZCC-9429

Quote Originally Posted by DatsunZsRule
    Welcome aboard

Sharp looking Z. Congrats.

Just so you know on the hood emblem that your looking at. It's hard for me to tell with your pictures but it looks like the previous owner had the emblem removed for good by having the holes filled in on the hood where the 2 little stubs go.

Thought I'd point that out before you buy one

Best of luck.

Thanks for the concern. The two holes are still present, which is why I'd like to fill them with the emblem. If they had been puttied and painted, it wouldn't be so big of a deal, but instead of having two holes in my hood, might as well use 'em.

One thing I don't have are the original hood vents. The PO had the current ones made from sheet metal. They don't look bad, but they aren't original. Anyone know where I can find the stockers?

Member ID
    CZCC-4657

Well if you want stock ones then you will have to go visit the junk yards. The down side with that is the ones in the junk yards are pretty brittle already and will break when you try to remove them no matter how careful you are. SOMETIMES you get lucky though.

MSA has just recently came out with an alternative to the stock ones. They will have to do if you can't find any good used factory ones. They want $124.95 for them though

Here is the link if your interested- http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merch...gory_Code=7BSA
    Last edited by DatsunZsRule; 09-19-2005 at 08:37 PM.
    Jared (1977 280Z - SOLD )

"Any car can get you where you need to go. A special car gets you there with a smile on your face"

Member ID
    CZCC-6323

Dude,

Get an air compressor and a paint gun, you can paint your Z any color you want. But first, do a little troubleshooting and figure out for yourself why your headlights don't work. It's not rocket science...
    Kenny P.

'73 240Z
    '82 ZX L28
    '82 ZX 5-speed
    Round top SU's
    Tokico HP struts
    Tokico Springs
    Urethane bushings

my gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Make sure that the wiper motor is actually running. It's located right in front of the passenger side of the windshield, below the cowl. Turn on the wipers and then listen to see if the motor is running.

If it isn't, then your problem is probably a bad connector someplace along the way, or your switch is needing cleaning. (Unless someone welded your wiper posts and the motor is just stopped due to the resistance. J/K )

If on the other hand you CAN hear the motor running but still no wiper action, now you have to remove the cowl to inspect the wiper motor linkage connection. It's just possible that the link wasn't properly tightened and it's fallen off. Just be careful that when you reconnect it that the wipers are left OFF until after you test them, so that if they rotate in "reverse", i.e. they start sweeping DOWN first instead of UP, that's because the linkage was mounted 180 off. Remove the linkage, rotate it, and reconnect. Then test again. A simple piece of masking tape or some other type, taped to the wiper post, will let you see the initial direction of rotation.

Hope this helps,
    Enrique

Thread Information