Thread: 1st time Z-owner from Norway=)

Member ID
    CZCC-29487

Default 1st time Z-owner from Norway=)

Hi!

My name is Tom-Anders and I am the proud owner of this newly acquired 1970 240z

The car arrived in norway coming from the US a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the car had been messed with during transport so the front windshield was cracked badly and the propshaft was torn apart. I also heard bad rattling sounds coming from the head which turned out to be one of the rocker arms that had jumped out of position Seems like someone has tried to do burnouts with it or something Anyways, I am fixing all these things + some other things to get the car registered here in norway.

This is my first Z, so I am probably going to have some questions that I hope to get some answers for here I will of course also share the development of my Z-project with you

Regards,

Tomzern
    Last edited by Tomzern; 07-25-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Welcome Tom! Too bad about the shipping damage, but at least your car wasn't on this ship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0eVvDmDIQs

2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Hi Tom:
    That looks like a pretty nice 240Z - it is a shame it was damaged in shippment. Nonetheless, I'm sure you will have to bad to great shape soon. Did you have any other Sports Cars before this? What made you decide that you wanted a 240Z?

Do keep us posted on your progress.
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-26037

Nice car you have there Tom -Anders, hope to see you on the road soon! Where in Norway are you from?
    Seems like there has been many Z`s coming to Norway this year.
    Terje

HLS30-37705, 07/1971, 905 red , DA 40865

Member ID
    CZCC-29487

Thanks for the warm welcoming

I have previously owned a 200sx (same as 240sx, but with Ca18det engine) which restored from ground up with rebuilt engine and around 300whp I sure miss her sometimes, but I have always wanted a 240z because of the great design and because it is a lot cheaper to own and easier to legally modify a veteran here in norway.
    I will post pictures of the 200SX later when I am not on my cellphone.

Nice to meet other Norwegians here I am from Asker you?

Member ID
    CZCC-29487

Member ID
    CZCC-29487

There you have my 200sx sorry about the separate posts, but it's complicated to get everything into one post when writing on a phone

It's awesome bartsscooterservice's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Quote Originally Posted by LeonV View Post
    Welcome Tom! Too bad about the shipping damage, but at least your car wasn't on this ship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0eVvDmDIQs

Welcome Tom, car looks good ! You own a legend ! Sorry to hear about the damage to ! How can that happen ?!
    HLS30 32581, 5/71 Matching numbers

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

It's awesome bartsscooterservice's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Quote Originally Posted by LeonV View Post

/ double post sorry internet kept hanging
    HLS30 32581, 5/71 Matching numbers

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

Stunning car Tom!
    '72 Fairlady 240Z-L - HS30-10052, Imported in 1973 from Yokota Airbase
    '70 240Z - HLS30-19927, History in SCCA CP & Trans-Am, ICSCC CIP, IMSA GTU
    '77 Porsche 930 Turbo Carrera - Black on black
    '13 Subaru BRZ Limited - Daily Driver

Member ID
    CZCC-26037

Quote Originally Posted by Tomzern View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcoming

I have previously owned a 200sx (same as 240sx, but with Ca18det engine) which restored from ground up with rebuilt engine and around 300whp I sure miss her sometimes, but I have always wanted a 240z because of the great design and because it is a lot cheaper to own and easier to legally modify a veteran here in norway.
    I will post pictures of the 200SX later when I am not on my cellphone.

Nice to meet other Norwegians here I am from Asker you?
    Jessheim
    Terje

HLS30-37705, 07/1971, 905 red , DA 40865

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the club. Thats a bummer about the shipping, but your lucky you didnt use that russian shipping company Leon posted in post #2.

Enjoy

Chas
    Chas
    5/77 280Z HLS30 403100 with some modifications
    Original colour: 305 Light Blue. The PO changed it to Red

Member ID
    CZCC-874

Welcome to the club. That is a great looking Z. I am partial to yellow Z's, since I owned one for 7 years. Does it have any rust? IT looks pretty solid from the pictures at least.

You will have to tell us the story on how you found it.

Enjoy it!

Marty

Member ID
    CZCC-22303

Hello Tom, glad to have you as part of our group. That's a really nice looking car, too bad about the abuse by the shipper. Since the driveshaft was damaged, be sure to also check the forward mount on the differential for any damage - the rubber component may have sheared from the stress.

That is a slick looking SX you pictured, congratulations on your excellent taste in accessories.

Looking forward to hearing of your work with the new car, be sure to keep us updated.

Jim Arnett
    HLS30-15320 12/1970, original owner
    L24-020208 (original)
    IZCC Original Owner Registry #53

Member ID
    CZCC-29487

I am glad to hear all the positive comments on the car Unfortunately the car does not look as good from a near distance as it does on the pictures, but it looks good enough to be used for a season or two before repainting! A real detailing job will also help alot

Quote Originally Posted by bartsscooterservice View Post
    Welcome Tom, car looks good ! You own a legend ! Sorry to hear about the damage to ! How can that happen ?!
    Thank you! The way I see it, this can only come from too high rpm's and trying to do burnouts.. I have heard several similar stories where cars have been messed with by the guys moving them around on the docks. Sad, but not much to do about it other than to fix it. No one wants to take the blame for it either, so better just put it behind me

Quote Originally Posted by EuroDat View Post
    Hi Tom,

Welcome to the club. Thats a bummer about the shipping, but your lucky you didnt use that russian shipping company Leon posted in post #2.
    Thank you Chas! That's true, what an awful video!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Rogan View Post
    Welcome to the club. That is a great looking Z. I am partial to yellow Z's, since I owned one for 7 years. Does it have any rust? IT looks pretty solid from the pictures at least.

You will have to tell us the story on how you found it.

Enjoy it!

Marty
    Good to hear that I am not the only one liking the yellow color. It stands out, and I think that's cool on an old iconic car like the Z I have to admit that I was a bit sceptical before I saw the car in real life though I have not found any bad rust other than a couple of small areas on the passenger. The car was repainted in the US before it came to norway, but it seems like there is very little bondo on it. Time will show, but it looks pretty solid from what I have seen to this day

I first found the car on eBay a few months ago, but didn't have the cash or the experience to dare bidding on it so I let it go. It turned out that it was sold to a guy here in norway who has been importing many 240z's before.
    I had been talking to him recently about another 240z that he imported before this one, so after he had sold that one he told me that he had this yellow '70-model on it's way to norway. I linked him to the eBay ad and asked him if it was that car, and it was, so I guess this car was kind of meant for me

Quote Originally Posted by jfa.series1 View Post
    Hello Tom, glad to have you as part of our group. That's a really nice looking car, too bad about the abuse by the shipper. Since the driveshaft was damaged, be sure to also check the forward mount on the differential for any damage - the rubber component may have sheared from the stress.

That is a slick looking SX you pictured, congratulations on your excellent taste in accessories.

Looking forward to hearing of your work with the new car, be sure to keep us updated.
    The forward differential mount has indeed sheared so I have this clunking sound everytime I accelerate. I am going to buy a new mount and the technoversions diff strap replacement mount. Is there a good upgrade alternative to the original differential mount?

Glad you liked my SX! The Z is going to have an air dam (not sure which one yet), lowering springs and better shocks, and some nice wheels (suggestions?). Thinking of ZG-flares as well but that will be later.

-Tom

Thread Information