Thread: Goodwood Festival of Speed 2008 Press Day

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Default Goodwood Festival of Speed 2008 Press Day

GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED 2008 'Press Day' event:

On 9th April I was honoured to be invited to this event by Nissan UK's press department, and was asked to bring along the 1971 KPGC10 Skyline GT-R to take part in demo runs up the Goodwood hillclimb course, and to display outside the house.

Nissan UK had arranged for a new ( French registered, but RHD ) R35 GT-R to be brought along by one of their motorsport partners, and it was nice to have a C10-series GT-R and the latest R35 GT-R together in the UK for the first time.

Well, what can I say? The weather was great, the other cars taking part were stunning, and the atmosphere was really friendly and relaxed. I haven't had such a good time in ages. It was a nice opportunity to run the KPGC10 on open - unsilenced - side-exit exhaust and newly-fitted slicks, and to show the car to many people who had never seen one before.

This year's Goodwood Festival of Speed takes place on the 11th, 12th & 13th of July, and is well worth visiting if you can make it.

Some pics from the Press Day ( my thanks to nissansportz.com for sending the photos to me, and allowing me to use them here ):

Alan T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-1.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	381.2 KB 
ID:	23192   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	377.5 KB 
ID:	23193   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-3.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	396.9 KB 
ID:	23194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-4.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	398.5 KB 
ID:	23195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-5.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	385.4 KB 
ID:	23196  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-6.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	380.4 KB 
ID:	23197   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-7.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	479.9 KB 
ID:	23198   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-8.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	339.6 KB 
ID:	23199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-9.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	329.6 KB 
ID:	23200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-10.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	425.4 KB 
ID:	23201  

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

More photos:

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-11.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	364.0 KB 
ID:	23202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-12.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	314.1 KB 
ID:	23203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-13.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	346.1 KB 
ID:	23204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-14.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	338.9 KB 
ID:	23205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-15.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	379.2 KB 
ID:	23206  

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-16.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	343.2 KB 
ID:	23207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-17.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	359.3 KB 
ID:	23208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-18.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	359.4 KB 
ID:	23209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-19.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	318.7 KB 
ID:	23210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-20.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	275.3 KB 
ID:	23211  

Member ID
    CZCC-16253

Amazing man, thanks for the pictures. Do you have a thread with your Skyline build?
    RLS30026010
    HS130160325

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

And a few more:

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-21.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	321.8 KB 
ID:	23212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-22.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	280.8 KB 
ID:	23213   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-23.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	281.7 KB 
ID:	23214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-24.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	448.7 KB 
ID:	23215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-25.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	361.5 KB 
ID:	23216  

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-26.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	380.7 KB 
ID:	23217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-27.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	494.5 KB 
ID:	23218  

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Quote Originally Posted by RayG1988 View Post
    Do you have a thread with your Skyline build?
    I'm afraid not ( I didn't build it! ), but there is a thread where I reported bringing the car from Japan to the UK. If you have a search around on the site I'm sure you should be able to find it fairly easily. I wrote some of the story surrounding the car and how I came to own it, and there were quite a few pics too.......

Alan T.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Quite an honour indeed, to be invited to spend the day with such an illustrious gathering of cars. Must have been great fun to stretch her legs a bit and leave the picture taking to someone else. Very nice photos, thanks for sharing.

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Given a choice I'd take the one on the Left. Sounds like you had a great time and I'm sure everyone else enjoyed seeing your GT-R and getting to hear it as well. The only thing that is more fun than owning these cars is sharing them with others. Getting to run them up to speed however comes in a close second... Hope someone took some video for you....

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Crumudgeon
    Member ID
    CZCC-798

Congratulations Allan! Did you get to hob-knob with the rich and famous? Your Skyline looks great and yes, I would take it over a new one in a New York minute. Goodwood is on my list of must do's before I die.

Member ID
    CZCC-1243

Awesome shots Alan. The C10 looks so dainty next to the R35. I see a few new stickers - and you look very cool in that outfit. Is the car treating you well?

How did you enjoy the day? Any "interesting" moments or comments?
    Last edited by Alfadog; 05-16-2008 at 07:22 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Carl and John,
    I'm surprised that you would both pick the KPGC10 over the R35. I have to say that when I saw the 'disguised' R35 last year I wasn't a fan - but since I saw the final production versions it has been growing on me a lot. I think the reputation that it is building for living up to its own hype performance-wise is making it look different. It certainly had enough 'presence' to not be upstaged by much else at the Goodwood Press day........

Quote Originally Posted by Alfadog View Post
    Awesome shots Alan. The C10 looks so dainty next to the R35. I see a few new stickers - and you look very cool in that outfit. Is the car treating you well?

How did you enjoy the day? Any "interesting" moments or comments?
    Hi Alfadog,
    The car is treating me very politely I have to say. Yes, a couple of new stickers. Some of them are to cover stone damage ( and jack handle damage ) - but others, well, I find it hard not to!

Did you spot any other revisions to the car? The front-mount 'Works' style oil cooler was only fitted a few days before the event. I took off the 432R cooler and have requisitioned it for the 432R replica project.

Some changes inside too: Deleted the console ( weighs a ton! ) and fitted a 'Works' style switch bracket instead, and added a period 'Izumi' steering wheel that Matsui san kindly gave me. Fitted an untrimmed, black-painted Ikeda Bussan replica seat base on the passenger side. I reckon it looks better than having nothing at all there.......

"Interesting" moments? Well, the car was pretty squirrely on the high crown of the road ( it is deceptively difficult a bit further up the hill - as the surface undulates a lot ) and the road was really dusty on the first run. Looking in the rearview mirror to see a Group C 'Silk Cut' Jaguar closing fast was heart-fluttering to say the least.

Stone-cold slicks are 'interesting' too.....

My main impression of the day was the friendly, informed and relaxed atmosphere. Lots of people took the time to come over and have a closer look at the car, and they seemed genuinely interested in the engine in particular. Meanwhile I was wanting to run off and take a closer look at so many of the other cars present. It was a real treat.

Alan T.

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-28.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	482.7 KB 
ID:	23278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-29.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	341.7 KB 
ID:	23279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWFOS-2008-Press-day-30.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	360.9 KB 
ID:	23280  

Member ID
    CZCC-3193

Default Cool!!

Hello Alan,

Congratulations on your attending the great festival
    I see people are looking at your GTR and you!!

I must go there and see your GTR and 432R project.I will fly to London June and July...

Thank you for sharing pictures.
    kats

P.S Thank you for the post on my thread,when I fly to you please let me know the meaning of the " casett tape". I will bring a small gift for your GTR/S20 engine.
    Katsuhiko Endo
    1970 DATSUN 240Z
    HLS30-02156 (03/70)
    L24-005562

1970 FAIRLADY Z432
    PS30-00088 (01/70)
    S20-000884

1972 DATSUN 240Z
    HLS30-60213 (12/71)
    L24-072419

JAPAN
    Welcome to my web site,
    http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz903

Member ID
    CZCC-1608

Yes indeed, my first thought was "nasty on cold slicks". Too much camber on the rear? I too recommend anyone to go to this event. It is a wonderful day out with many many fantasic cars on display. Any old F1's this year Alan?

I'll stick my neck out and say that I'd take the new GTR. Shame we won't get them offered by Nissan New Zealand, but I'm sure there will be some imports and soon.

Great pics Alan, keep them coming.
    Zed not Zee

HS30-00352 still being rebuilt (year 6)
    HS30-101370 chopped in half

CZCC #1608

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

What a comparison shot with your car sitting aside the new GTR. The thing looks like a behemoth! I saved it to my screen saver file.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Torch Wielding Villager gogriz91's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-2233

So what does the "PMC S" stand for on the rear quarter panel? I've seen it on a bunch of vintage cars and assumed it was the sanctioning body or something like that.
    '73 HLS30 129806 ; L-28, street cam, SUs, 5-speed, Koni's, Suspension techniques springs, swaybars, 3.90 R200 LSD

Heavily medicated for your protection

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Quote Originally Posted by gogriz91 View Post
    So what does the "PMC S" stand for on the rear quarter panel?
    PMC.S = "Prince Motor(ist) Club. Sports"

The Prince Motor Company, like many of the Japanese car manufacturers in the late Sixties, made their race teams like little supporters clubs. PMC.S was formed as the Prince in-house race team, and fans could join the club and get extra benefits at race meetings and regular newsletters etc.

When Prince were merged with Nissan in 1966, PMC.S became a focus point for sporting Skyline fans in particular. The Skyline factions inside the Nissan organisation kept up the traditions of the club and still used the famous white on red PMC.S stickers on their cars.

The 'Works' C10-series Skyline GT-R race cars were entered into races under the PMC.S banner ( so that PMC.S was the 'entrant' rather than Nissan ) and the Works drivers were - technically - employed by PMC.S, whereas the Zs, Sunnies and Bluebirds for example were raced under the SCCN banner ( SCCN = Sports Car Club of Nissan ) which was Nissan's non-Prince faction equivalent.

PMC.S and SCCN still exist as clubs, and still organise events for their members.

Hope that helped to explain it a little.

Alan T.

Crumudgeon
    Member ID
    CZCC-798

I would be happy with the R35 too. But, your car is rarer and is more visceral. Plus, I can get a R35 this summer just by taking out a big fat loan.

Member ID
    CZCC-10015

An R35 over a KPGC10?
    Not a hope in hell once they dropped the RB engine - after all, a GT-R is supposed to have a fire breathing straight six!.

Good to see the C10 where it belongs, Alan.

Member ID
    CZCC-6607

Quote Originally Posted by aarc240 View Post
    An R35 over a KPGC10?
    Not a hope in hell once they dropped the RB engine - after all, a GT-R is supposed to have a fire breathing straight six!.

Good to see the C10 where it belongs, Alan.
    Shyeah right. No I6, therefore not a real GTR. If it bothers you that much, then drop in an L28 and go nutz

I'd gladly have one sitting in my driveway over any other $120k (ish) car, thank you very much.

Just like I'd rather drop a million bucks on a fleet of Porsches over a GTHO anyday.

Disclaimer - I love classic cars - be they Japanese, Australian or American (sorry, the british stuff doesn't do it for me). Just can't fathom people's biased views towards these antiques when modern cars are so much better in every way.
    So many arseholes...
    So few bullets.

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

Quote Originally Posted by 440k View Post
    Just like I'd rather drop a million bucks on a fleet of Porsches over a GTHO anyday.
    You don't need a fleet of Porsche's these days, one new GTR will do the job of all of them

Alan, how does your GTR brake when your driving it hard? I couldn't really see the booster in the pictures of the engine, but it looks like the really small one mine had that was shockingly bad for pulling up.

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Quote Originally Posted by 240kconvertible View Post
    Alan, how does your GTR brake when your driving it hard? I couldn't really see the booster in the pictures of the engine, but it looks like the really small one mine had that was shockingly bad for pulling up.

Yes, It's got the tiny booster. Needs two feet on the middle pedal really!

The car is fitted with the Sports Option MK63-20S four-pot 'FIA' front calipers, and the vented front discs. Front pads are special 'ENDLESS' compound that need quite a lot of warming up before they will really bite. Rear brakes are the standard type drums but with the Sports Option linings. Whole driving philosophy of these cars in period ( for the tracks that they drove on ) was one of keeping up momentum. Later in the '72 season they fitted rear discs to the Works cars, which must have helped a great deal I reckon. They also deleted the booster and fitted a bigger M/C on the Works cars for better 'feel'. Must have been hard work to drive in the long races.

It could certainly do with more brakes, but I'd like to try and keep it as period-correct as possible. I'm aiming at mid-1971 type spec, which leaves me stuck with the current setup.

Quote Originally Posted by 440k
    Disclaimer - I love classic cars - be they Japanese, Australian or American (sorry, the british stuff doesn't do it for me). Just can't fathom people's biased views towards these antiques when modern cars are so much better in every way.
    Personally speaking, I like both old and new. Everything should be taken on a case-by-case basis. If I had unlimited funds I'd have a very varied and 'catholic' collection of both old and new, and of any market sector / purpose. I don't 'see' nationalities of manufacturers as any kind of excuse for complete dismissal or affection. I find it hard to relate to anybody who would say that they "love" classic cars, but then say that "British" cars "don't do it" for them. If you see something that you have never seen before, would you change your opinion of it once you found out what country it was made in? That seems quite obtuse to me.

I guess we won't be seeing you at the Goodwood Festival of Speed then?

Member ID
    CZCC-6607

You don't need a fleet of Porsche's these days, one new GTR will do the job of all of them
    Dam Strait!! The fleet of porsches comment was referring to the dude who got offered 4 brand new Porsches in exchange for his mint GTHO.
    Personally speaking, I like both old and new. Everything should be taken on a case-by-case basis. If I had unlimited funds I'd have a very varied and 'catholic' collection of both old and new, and of any market sector / purpose
    Totally agree.
    I don't 'see' nationalities of manufacturers as any kind of excuse for complete dismissal or affection
    I don't completely dismiss anything based on nationality. I said that British cars don't do it for me. From my experience with old British cars (admittedly limited to MG's, old Jags, Minis and various Triumphs) I just don't get as excited about them. Not to say there aren't any desirable British classics out there - just that what I've experienced hasn't really excited me.

That's not to say I dismiss them completely, or would never own one. Probably a bad choice of words on my behalf. Apologies if this offended - that was not my intention.

That seems quite obtuse to me
    Hehe I can be a little on the obtuse side at times.

I guess we won't be seeing you at the Goodwood Festival of Speed then?
    Not while I'm on this continent. Perhaps if I were in the neighbourhood, I'd make more effort to come for a bo peep.

By the way - I love your C10
    So many arseholes...
    So few bullets.

Torch Wielding Villager gogriz91's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-2233

Quote Originally Posted by HS30-H View Post
    PMC.S = "Prince Motor(ist) Club. Sports"

The Prince Motor Company, like many of the Japanese car manufacturers in the late Sixties, made their race teams like little supporters clubs. PMC.S was formed as the Prince in-house race team, and fans could join the club and get extra benefits at race meetings and regular newsletters etc.

When Prince were merged with Nissan in 1966, PMC.S became a focus point for sporting Skyline fans in particular. The Skyline factions inside the Nissan organisation kept up the traditions of the club and still used the famous white on red PMC.S stickers on their cars.

The 'Works' C10-series Skyline GT-R race cars were entered into races under the PMC.S banner ( so that PMC.S was the 'entrant' rather than Nissan ) and the Works drivers were - technically - employed by PMC.S, whereas the Zs, Sunnies and Bluebirds for example were raced under the SCCN banner ( SCCN = Sports Car Club of Nissan ) which was Nissan's non-Prince faction equivalent.

PMC.S and SCCN still exist as clubs, and still organise events for their members.

Hope that helped to explain it a little.

Alan T.
    I appreciate it.
    '73 HLS30 129806 ; L-28, street cam, SUs, 5-speed, Koni's, Suspension techniques springs, swaybars, 3.90 R200 LSD

Heavily medicated for your protection

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

Quote Originally Posted by 440k View Post
    From my experience with old British cars (admittedly limited to MG's, old Jags, Minis and various Triumphs) I just don't get as excited about them. Not to say there aren't any desirable British classics out there - just that what I've experienced hasn't really excited me.
    440k I bet you couldn't look at an old Aston Martin DB6 and not get excited, or the Jensen with the 6.3lt V8 which correct me if I'm wrong was 4wd also.

I like anything that looks good and goes fast, from rotarys to V8's even the citroen DS special does it for me. cars from Korea are my most disliked though.

You should post more Alan, you know more than most about the old skylines and everyone jumps in on your threads. I'm glad to hear your keeping it original, the KPGC10 has nothing to prove to anyone, it's done it all before.

Member ID
    CZCC-16100

440k I bet you couldn't look at an old Aston Martin DB6 and not get excited, or the Jensen with the 6.3lt V8 which correct me if I'm wrong was 4wd also.
    I think the 4x4 (and ABS!) Jensen Interceptor was only a very limited edition called Ferguson Formula, but I think the great, great majority of Interceptors are rwd.

Member ID
    CZCC-11840

Alan many thanks for the pics. Good job.

If I could just see your car in person. That would be a dream come true.

Dewayne
    Last edited by dscott@shouri; 05-26-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    I think the 4x4 (and ABS!) Jensen Interceptor was only a very limited edition called Ferguson Formula, but I think the great, great majority of Interceptors are rwd.

You are correct, it was the ferguson formula (ferguson being the tractor company). This would make the Jensen the worlds first 4wd sports car not the audi quattro, although the Audi was affordable whereas the Jensen Ferguson formula wasn't. From what I've been told the Jensen is faster than the Quattro as well.

Does anyone else know of any other obscure 4wd sports cars that were before the Jensen?

Member ID
    CZCC-16100

There was also a small run of 67 Mustangs 390GTs with Ferguson Formula 4x4 too.

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

Mustang 4wd??? how much are they worth now I wonder...
    Does the 390 denote hp or engine size or something else entirely

Member ID
    CZCC-16100

Mustang 4wd??? how much are they worth now I wonder...
    Does the 390 denote hp or engine size or something else entirely
    390 means 390 cubic inches, and I think it was 320hp or something.

Here's an article on the Mustang...seems that there were only 4 made plus some Torinos given the 4x4 treatment
    http://www.ponysite.de/fmcog/isis/ferguson/fergusen.htm

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Talking of 4x4s...........

Here's a way of bringing us back on topic somewhat: My tow car. It's a QUATTRO

Name:	Home time-1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	472.7 KB 
ID:	23595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Home time-2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	443.3 KB 
ID:	23596  

Crumudgeon
    Member ID
    CZCC-798

Alan,

I think you need to get something a little more period correct to haul your Skyline around with:

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Mmmmm, that'd be nice. Except the transporter would be worth about 500 times more than what I had to put on it........

I need Nissan to step up to the plate and loan me a new tow vehicle. Or maybe they might have one of these left hanging around in a dusty corner:

Name:	69 Works trucks-1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	723.9 KB 
ID:	23597  

Member ID
    CZCC-16100

Sorry Alan a man with your Nissan/Prince credentials needs to roll in something with a decent number of cubic inches:

6.3L should tow your car quite adequately...you may of course have to marry someone in the japanese royal family to obtain access to that...

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

That Merc truck is really weird. . . i like it, not as much as the 6.3lt though.

Alan, you need a RS6 avant to tow your car around. Then you could drive as quick to the race track as you could around it

Talking of tow vehicles I spotted this C110 being towed in Brisbane, also a shot of mine on its way to get it's exhaust fitted

Name:	Tow1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	475.6 KB 
ID:	23609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tow.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	688.5 KB 
ID:	23610  

Crumudgeon
    Member ID
    CZCC-798

One of those Nissan (or Hino?) transporters would be cool. I NEED one as a shop truck.

Thread Information