Thread: General price range for a Turbo engine?! L28eT?

mmm Z cars.. ohhh bbabyy PrOxLaMuS©'s Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4022

Default General price range for a Turbo engine?! L28eT?

Hey guys... I did do a search but not much help...

what is a good price for a 1982 Turbo engine from a 280ZXT with 96,000 miles and a rebuilt turbo? I have been able to find one, but I wan unsure of the price... this is for EVERYTHING for the install including the ECU and the harness'es etc.
    The engine I have found he wants $630

I have seen sites with write-ups and previous installations where they bought a good engine for $200 - $300 miles.... but I am not sure...

I also tried eBay and the classifieds to get an idea.. but I was just curious

BTW I know this is more a classic Z car and classic engine site.. but I really love turbo's and are soo easy to add power... help!

1978 280Z Boring Mods :
    F54/P90a, Holset HY35W turbo, 3.75" downpipe, 3" exhuast, NPR intercooler, 440cc injectors, Innovate Wideband, Arizona Zcar springs, Tokico 5 ways, MSA sway bars
    www.putfile.com/proxlamus
    SEE my 280Z in ACTION! VIDEO!

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

I paid $500.00 for a 82ZX non turbo complete with headers and alternater , no dist. It has a aftermarket cam and headwork and 35,000 miles on the rebuild. I dident want the injection and gave it away as well as the cluch and pressure plate to a local Z driver. This was about a year ago . I dont know what a turbo is worth but if it is good and the engine is sound , it sounds about right. Did you look at the oil on the dip stick to see if it was tar or clean were you able to hear it run or take a compression check ?

mmm Z cars.. ohhh bbabyy PrOxLaMuS©'s Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4022

He said the compression was 90 psi on all cylinders.... isn't that really LOW for a turbo engine? I thought it was supposed to be between 130-150 ish right?

1978 280Z Boring Mods :
    F54/P90a, Holset HY35W turbo, 3.75" downpipe, 3" exhuast, NPR intercooler, 440cc injectors, Innovate Wideband, Arizona Zcar springs, Tokico 5 ways, MSA sway bars
    www.putfile.com/proxlamus
    SEE my 280Z in ACTION! VIDEO!

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Isn't the compression ratio on a L28ET 7.38-1? I would think that would make the compression lower than the standard 130-150.
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

I am not a turbo guy , but I know that they do have low compression , if they are all consistant that is a big plus . At 130 with a turbo ? I think that would be way too high. I deferr to the turbo drivers on this one . All being the same is a vary good sign .

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I have bought several low to medium mileage turbo engines.
    I have paid from $271 for a complete car to 251 for just the engine with both manifolds, injectors, distributor, but no Alt, Starter, or turbo-check car-parts.com .

Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Thread Information