Thread: Ever drive/own a 300ZX Turbo?

Member ID
    CZCC-4602

Default Ever drive/own a 300ZX Turbo?

Not exactly classic Z stuff but I was wondering what it was like. I may have an "opertunity" to pick one up right and wondered if it would make a good DD on the rainy days when I don't want to get the 240 out.

Looking for general opinions on handling and ride, I had an 81 ZX and thought it was $hit handling and performance wise, not that I dropped a dime trying to fix either of those areas, but still what are they like compaired to the early Z's?
    Lance

73 240Z, tripple webbers, 5 speed, 4 wheel disk, Einbach springs
    98 BMW 540i/6

Member ID
    CZCC-7738

Default Z31,z32?

What year?

Member ID
    CZCC-4602

84-85 I guess, Z31? Shows how much I know about them
    Lance

98 BMW 540i/6

Member ID
    CZCC-7738

Default Z31

Well,it's still a Z like it or not.Z31s went from 84-88,84-85 being fairly close
    to each others body styling [sharp fender flair lines and hood scoops for the turbo models],86 was the first year of the more rounded fender flairs and 16in wheels,they knocked out the hood scoop,87-88 changed the front end to a more rounded style,tail lights from the two larger outer units to the long stream lined fender to fender lighting system.and a more rounded hood,drive train pretty much stayed the same through out the years.engines were VG30Es or a 205hp VG30ET,Transmissions T-5s of course or the getto matics
    differantials remained R-200s some came with viscous couplings [trac type
    loc].88 was the only year to have a hot rodded turboSS version,wider wheels,more horse power and torque.and slightly wider fender flairs and it only came in white.there arm many odds and ends I just named the major ones.I owned an 86Turbo it was alright,drove it for about a year and half
    then sold it to a guy who wrecked it two months later.I bought the drive train back.still have it.at the time I was going to Install it in one of my 240Zs.
    bottom line is there really good Zs.I think you'll enjoy it.
    JZM

Member ID
    CZCC-791

I drove a Z32TT "once". Test driving it for a member who lived cross country.

Can't say I liked it much. Felt VERY heavy. IMO the braking was not as good as I expected.

I'm used to driving a much lighter 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-4995

I have driven several z31 models and they are ok , not my cup of tea at all, personally thought they handled less than wonderful and they were so loaded up with crap like digital dash and extra stuff that just seems to break , the z32 I would take I agree they drive and steer like a heavy car and the ones I have driven had pretty good brakes not 911 quality or oversized front and rear disk 240z braking but pretty good. the z32 has a great driving position and I enjoy the twin turbo models , but be warned the 300tt is a maintance hog , the regular z32 isn't that bad but the tt can get very expensive , good luck , but the way the z32 drive alot like a toyota supra
    Last edited by seerex; 01-23-2005 at 09:06 PM.
    72 240z Yellow
    HLS3077658
    Nickname "Rusty"
    Slow Restore

71 240z Red
    HLS3033776
    43k original
    Getting Done

Member ID
    CZCC-3769

Quote Originally Posted by Bambikiller240
    I drove a Z32TT "once". Test driving it for a member who lived cross country.

Can't say I liked it much. Felt VERY heavy. IMO the braking was not as good as I expected.

I'm used to driving a much lighter 240Z
    I've driven a mates Z32tt quite a bit so can comment on this. After getting out of an S30, the Z32 certainly feels pretty damn fat. But, if you do get in there and give it a good go, they're surprisingly nimble for a car of their size and have plenty of mechanical grip. Driving position is good IMO, but some don't like it. Powerwise, not overly quick when stock, but with exhaust, larger intercoolers and some more boost it's quite a different story. Maintenance can be a PITA though. Nothing overly hard, just everything is a little bit more time consuming than on most other cars. My mate has sucessfully done pretty much all the servicing and modifications on his Z32 himself and he's no mechanic.

On the topic of the Z31, wasn't there also a VG30DET powered model? Was that a jap only model like the RB20DET powered version?
    RS30-000756

Member ID
    CZCC-7738

On the topic of the Z31, wasn't there also a VG30DET powered model? Was that a jap only model like the RB20DET powered version?[/QUOTE]

No.there was not.the VG30DET is a VG30DETT not one T but two TT,
    which only came in the Z32s and some infinitis...VG stands for V-Series
    blocks.I own a 90 Z32 and I will tell you it out handles most any car you
    pit against it.stock braking is not good.but you can upgrade.as with the 240Z they were not the best handling cars when they came out but with some mods here and there holy ****.my 90 is a non turbo at this time I'm coverting it to a tt.the tt is 8-900lbs heavier than an n/a.thats why I chose the n/a.I'm very surprized that some of you would knock a Z of any
    year!.As with any line there needs to be a continuation or that line WILL fade.
    I consider my self to be a very passionate Z enthusiast.I've devoted most of
    my time to educating myself on the Z line.

JZM

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Quote Originally Posted by JZM
    ...............I'm very surprized that some of you would knock a Z of any year!.As with any line there needs to be a continuation or that line WILL fade................
    You haven't been here long, have you? You've missed some intense discussions about Z's vs ZX's. S30's vs S130, Z31, Z32, Z33. For the most part, this club is populated with people who's main interest is the S30 version of Z Car.

Why would you be suprised? Some of us aren't enamored with a name (well 1/2 of a name anyway), and that's all that a Z32 shares with the (early) previous (S30) iteration of Z. The different versions of Z/ZX are quite different from each other and frankly cater to people with different tastes, and desires.

People who like 60's era Corvette's don't necessarily like 1980's Vettes. The same goes with many other models of cars, including the Nissan Z line..

I'm not saying a Z32 is a POS, I'm saying it's SO different from my S30 that I don't care much for it and I don't recognize it as a "Z". It's a Z32 version of a ZX to me. Far, Far different from an S30.

PS Even with a "continuation of the line", it DID fade. Sales dropped to nothing point nothing due to various factors including the high sales price and complexity of the car (ie the cost of maintenance). That's why they (Nissan) stopped importing them after the 1996 model.

Member ID
    CZCC-3769

On the topic of the Z31, wasn't there also a VG30DET powered model? Was that a jap only model like the RB20DET powered version?
    No.there was not.the VG30DET is a VG30DETT not one T but two TT,
    which only came in the Z32s and some infinitis...
    Nope, there most certainly was a VG30DET which came in a bunch of models including the Y31, Y32, F31 series cars. Power was 255PS (in some of them at least). It seems many have done the VG30DET -> Z31 swap, I was just wondering if there was a Z31 from the factory with the twin cam VG.....it seems not.
    RS30-000756

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

I think the Z32 is a far better car than the Z31. I know lots of people with many electrical gremlins in the Z31's. I'd say you'd be spending alot of money on your DD if you chose anyone of these cars. The Z32 is a reliable car but have you seen the cost of some parts especially if you go genuine nissan.

I guess it all depends on your budget sometimes I wonder how i can afford to drive my S30 and I would consider them to be a very good car in terms of maintainability and cost of doing so.
    Another words I don't have much $$$ to my name to support a second car or DD so it all depends.

Of course and I'm sure you would know this a Turbo model is gonna require a bit more care and blown turbo's can cost a bit of money.

Member ID
    CZCC-1278

Like Datto-Zed says,

Yes there was a Z31 3 liter V6 Turbo model. It was sold in the Australian Market.
    www.nostalgictrio.com Skyline - Silvia - Fairlady Z
    www.ozdat.com The Australian Datsun site.
    www.cafepress.com/vintagedatsun

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Camouflage
    Like Datto-Zed says,

Yes there was a Z31 3 liter V6 Turbo model. It was sold in the Australian Market.
    It was also sold in the US and I'm sure in other markets as well. But the Z31 would have a VG30ET not a VG30DET. (Single cam w/distributor vs Dual cam distributor-less)
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-3769

Yeah the oz model is VG30ET.
    RS30-000756

Member ID
    CZCC-4602

OK,
    Thanks for all the responses!! I'm thinking that this might be a pass for me, I don't really need it and for sure don't need a high maintance one!
    Lance

98 BMW 540i/6

Member ID
    CZCC-7738

Default Hmm!

On the subject of VG30DET.the D in this stands for dual cam.the Z31s did not have VG30DET engines.hence VG30E or VG30ET,note no D in either.But as far as the Y and F series cars I would have no idea. and A Z is A Z not matter what year!Everybody is entitled to there own opinion.And this is mine.Please keep in mind I'm not tring to step on anyones toes.

JZM
    Last edited by JZM; 01-26-2005 at 06:59 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Hi John:

Everybody is entitled to there own opinion.And this is mine.
    That was my point. Different strokes for different folks.

Please keep in mind I'm not tring to step on anyones toes.

Neither am I.

I was just suprised by your statement, given that this club is centered on the S30 varient of Z, and that many people look at the later Z/ZX's only as Organ Donors. (L28's, 5-speeds, R200's, wheels, brakes etc.)

I didn't mean to offend you, or your opinion. It's just different than mine.

Member ID
    CZCC-7738

Default Cool!

You did't offend.We walk the same line,just with different clothes on our backs.

Member ID
    CZCC-3769

On the subject of VG30DET.the D in this stands for dual cam.the Z31s did not have dual over head cam engines.
    *pedantic bastard mode on

There was actually one dual overhead cam Z31, the RB20DET NICS powered 200ZR.

/pedantic bastard mode
    RS30-000756

Member ID
    CZCC-7738

Default Ahhhh!

My bad!I forgot the lone wolf,But it's not a VG30DET,it's a RB20DET.so I've got a Q for you guys.what does RB stand for?[I already know the A]I'm just checking.

JZM

Member ID
    CZCC-3769

Not sure on that one actually! Will be interested to hear.
    So if the V in VG is because it's a vee engine, what's the G for? What the Q in VQ for?
    RS30-000756

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

I don't think the RB stands for anything there are a number of thoughts as to what it could stand for but no definitive answer.

Member ID
    CZCC-1243

I think the most popular rumour was that it stood for "Race Breed", but I wouldn't call it anything other than a rumour. Like Gav said there are lots of theories! Wouldn't it be nice to talk to someone who was actually involved?
    Last edited by Alfadog; 01-24-2005 at 11:16 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4

Hey now, the ZX has a great spot in history. It's just like the 350z. All of the cars will hold a special place in all of our hearts. I never did own a 300ZX TT, but, I came *VERY* close to buying one about three years ago at the MSA show.

You're gonna get a few old timers who resist any kind of change. But, there are a bunch of us fans of the whole "life of the Z" and would be proud to drive any of them.

It's a hell of a lot better than driving a Dodge Dart. Well, the Dart also has a lot of fun memories as well.... haha.

Anyway, I did drive a TT one time. It was a pretty fun drive, but, I was young at the time and any kind of newer sports car would have been a DREAM to me. My most unique experience driving a Nissan was in Australia. One of our members owns a RHD Skyline GTR and I took that out for a spin. The car was amazing and not to mention the RHD was a trip. I couldn't get used to shifting with my left hand.
    Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Hey now, the ZX has a great spot in history. It's just like the 350z.
    How do you figure that it's just like a 350Z? I mean I know you own a 350Z, but how are they alike? This I'm interested in hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    All of the cars will hold a special place in all of our hearts.
    That's a pretty heavy blanket statement. Don't count me under that blanket. I'll be one of the "old timers". Not resisting "any change", just not liking those particular changes. (you know, the changes that almost killed the Z line by 1996)

Different strokes for different folks, Mike.

Member ID
    CZCC-7738

Default Movin on down the road now!

I think we should just move on.seems to be that some people are taking things abit to strongly.

As someone once stated,'this site is dedicated to the older S30s'
    maybe it should just stay that way. completely.

JZM

Member ID
    CZCC-3015

I have owned both versions of the Z31. The turbo model I owned was a 50th anniversary turbo with the very non-sporting digital dash and a host of other electronics that add weight to an already heavy car. Don't get me wrong it was a fast and capable car but, you always felt the weight. On the other hand I continue to own an '86 Z31 hardtop (analog dash, and no t-tops) which is a nice and capable everyday car. It can be expensive to maintain and unfortunately Nissan had signed off on this car a long time ago and now things like molded vacuum hoses are no longer available from the dealer which is how I choose to maintain the mechanical aspects of my Z's. I have modified the suspension with Tokico struts and springs and the car is a much better handler than when I bought it. With 201k and counting the engine still shows no signs of getting tired yet. The only other thing to keep in mind is that the Z31 was not designed for the driveway mechanic and thus the engine bay is not as friendly to your knuckles as the S30's.
    I have also driven a Z32TT from Atlanta, Ga. to D.C. for a friend last year and I wasn't impressed. It was fast and handled well but, you feel more disconnected than in the S30. I surely can't imagine paying the 40k or so when those Z's were new to own one.
    If you want a daily driver go for a sentra SE-R or a 240SX SE; if said daily driver has to be a Z then buy a '77 or '78 280Z (fuel injected and easy to maintain) or even a 280ZX (good luck in finding one that is not rusting badly).
    Who knows in a few years when depreciation takes its toll a 350Z might be a good used car choice. I wouldn't drive mine as a daily driver because of the weather here in the Mid-Atlantic but, it would be fast enough for sure.

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb203/daddsun/

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopos...00&ppuser=3015
    77 280Z HLS30366531
    78 280Z HLS30434713
    78 280Z HLS30456240
    81 280ZX hardtop blackout pkg
    81 280ZX hardtop
    83 280ZX hardtop
    86 300ZX hardtop *146597
    86 300ZX hardtop *148652
    96 300ZX hardtop LP2
    03 350Z AX8

86.5 Toyota Supra hardtop
    87 Mazda RX-7 base hardtop

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I just gotta jump in here lest I be dismissed as a rock. The next non S30 Z I will own is a 300ZZTT, it is the second coming of the Z to me(even though I already own a 280ZX). It is a rather large stray from the 240Z, but what in the lineage isn't. The late 300ZX body style is pleasing to me(easily second to the 240Z), granted all of the Z(x)s up until the curent derivation had unique side views-in that they were not easliy confusable with and audi or an infinty, or any other car for that matter, if only the designer had seen a 240Z instead of an AudiTT moments before he was to draw the finalized 350Z design-even a new Mustang is easily traced visually to its roots!
    I appreciate the mecahical and technical advances that each Z(X) has gained over the previous version, it is too bad that the styling has been so hit and miss. In 5 decidedly different body styles there aren't many ques that carried over, nor is there but one other I like, the late model 300ZX!

Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

Im going to test drive a 300zx TT sometime this next week. Guy wants 500 for it.

Says it has straight body with all glass and a 5 speed.

Anyone want to loan me some cash?
    HLS30-217804 6/75 "The Unnatural One"

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-7738

Well said will........

JZM

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Quote Originally Posted by billramsey2002
    Im going to test drive a 300zx TT sometime this next week. Guy wants 500 for it.

Says it has straight body with all glass and a 5 speed.

Anyone want to loan me some cash?
    If it truly is a TT (Z32) and it runs, and not just another of those single turbo pos Z31s (that's my opinion) about $10-15K later, you might have something there. But, why bother?
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Quote Originally Posted by sblake01
    If it truly is a TT (Z32) and it runs, and not just another of those single turbo pos Z31s (that's my opinion) about $10-15K later, you might have something there. But, why bother?
    Especially since you already have a Z that needs lots of work ($$$$).

Why piss away $500 on another money pit?

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Hate to rub your nose in it Bill,
    but...
    What Carl said!!!
    Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-791

I didn't mean to rub his nose in it either, but if he keeps on playing Fred Sanford, he'll never get to play Z Racer, Focus, Bill, Focus!!

Member ID
    CZCC-7738

Thats funny!

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

Actualy i was thinking engine swap.....but i dont wanna part with the L28 in the 72...it runs to damn good.

My yards starting to look like a parking lot as it is. The youngest brother is dragging in a 65 mustang this weekend.

Guesss you guys are right.

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Bill, I am forever guilty of to many projects, and not enough time. My advice is get one going, finish it to the point you could drive it anywhere with no problems, and not be embarassed to do so. Then and only then start something else.
    I have three project cars, two of which are going off to containerized storage in the next month or so, they will be put back in progress when the 240Z is screaming ready for the MSA show(even if that is next year). When they are done, then the 300ZXTT search will begin.
    Will

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

Yup i know the feeling...my dads got a hot rod hes build..ontop of helping me and my brothers build ours.

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Thread Information