Thread: Searching for original 240Z leather key holder

Member ID
    CZCC-2148

Default Searching for original 240Z leather key holder

I remember getting the leather key holder with a snap closure with the keys to my new 1971 240z almost 38 years ago. Looking throught Kat's web site, I noticed that he has this key holder ( Of Course he has one!!!! ).

Has anyone else managed to save or salvage one of these key holders? It might be pretty simple to have something like this duplicated, a fun accessory for an original 240z. I can't remember if it was embossed or stamped with any logo or lettering, and can't tell in Kat's picture. He shows a picture of his under a listing of "Original Details" on his home page at www.geocities.jp/datsunz903/

The part number on the Parts CD under miscellaneous is 80690-E8200 but haven't tried to order from Nissan as I am fairly certain it wouldn't be available.

Dan

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Dan,

This is my eBay search link for items like this. http://collectibles.search.ebay.com/...MEFSRCHQ3aSRCH
    I picked up a brand new key FOB some time ago from this listing. The fob is aftermarket, but the Datsun logo is enameled. Best of luck finding a holder. Sure you could have one made.

Chris
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-2148

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the search link info. I have one of the aftermarket enameled logo key fobs as well, but always thought that the folding leather holders with the snap closure are very retro. Being an old guy, I can remember when most all car keys came in similar cases with new cars. I'll post updates if any progress is made in locating or making these key holders in case anyone else is possibly interested.

Dan

Member ID
    CZCC-5718

Default key fob

would this be a vinage fob from the era or an aftermarket fob?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zkeys 005.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	23058  
    to be or not to be- shakespeare
    do be do be do- sinatra
    vehicles owned
    72 240z
    2009 honda civic exl
    1973 triumph tr6
    wife's
    2002 vw jetta
    68 390 mustang coup

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

I don't know if mine is what you are talking about. It is black leather and when opened and laid flat is 2 3/4'' square. It has a snap closure. so when the leather is folded over it is abut 2'' wide . It has a chrome fitting riveted inside that will hold 4 keys on metal chrome loops . there is a chromed metal disk the size of a quarter. It looks like it is filled porselen, white with a red center and a blue band across the face about 3/16'' X 7/8'' the blue is rimed in chrome and in the center of the blue band is 240 Z. The leather is black and is soft like glove leather. on the back of the fob (disk) it says Windsor made in England. I would take a picture and post it but I am computer impaired and don't know how. Gary
    I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dieing. CZC 1887 IZCC 12602 Member of NorthWest Z Car Club

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Hi Dan:
    If you search google.com for "Key Wallet" you might see something that is close.

The Nissan Dealers actually bought them in bulk and they could be either vinyl or leather. Some Dealers had their business names printed on them/others didn't.

Here is one I bought a few years ago on E-Bay, it came with a complete lock-set and four original keys for a 71 Z. Also received one of the early key fob's.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Name:	KeyWalletAndFob71.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	23059  

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

I would challenge the authenticity of that key fob. IMO it is aftermarket and not a "correct" logo, Carl. It looks like it is made of plastic. Early anything would have been glass on chromed metal, or what we call enameled. Here is what the "correct" Datsun logo looks like.

Name:	DatsunSign.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	23073   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MoneyClip.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	23074  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Hi Chris:
    Oh my! ... I guess that Nissan got their DATSUN logo wrong on the 1970 240-Z Sales Brochures. The key fob I pictured is metal and the Datsun logo is plastic.... It is a very authentic, period correct, after-market key fob and it looks like they used the correct DATSUN logo of the time.

As for "authentic DATSUN" key fob's - - - I haven't seen any actually produced by Nissan. As far as I know, all of the key fobs that the local DATSUN Dealers gave away were after-market. The key wallets however could be ordered from Nissan, but most were less expensive when purchased from the local aftermarket suppliers and could be printed with the Dealers name, address and phone numbers.

So far, I can't find anything printed, published by Nissan/Datsun that has the red circle in the Nissan/Datsun Logo surrounded by a larger white circle - as shown on the money clip. It would be closer to "correct" if they had left the large white circle off - and just put the smaller red circle with the word DATSUN

The NISSAN logo always seems to have the word NISSAN larger than the red circle behind it - whereas that is not always the case with the various DATSUN logos used by, or approved by Nissan/Datsun. Indeed, when printed in black/white the DATSUN logo has the words "Product Of Nissan" used as the surround.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Name:	DatsunLogo8sm.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	23075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DatsunLogo 15sm.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	23076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NissanLogo7sm.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	23077  

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Carl,

Thanks for confirming what I said to begin with. "It is a very authentic, period correct, after-market key fob and it looks like they used the correct DATSUN logo of the time."

Now, I was surprised (and pleased) to see the logo you pictured from a Canadian brochure, however it could be just as easily said that it "looks" like they DIDN'T use the correct logo as no evidence is offered. The other pictures are not within the realm of the conversation as we are talking about Datsun logos. Now have a look at this! More pictures of the Datsun logo - in brochures and on the cars. But look at this picture I have of a Prince / Nissan "crest". Interesting, yes?

Name:	240ZBrochure60P2Small.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	23079   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brocure_Norway_240Zback.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	23080   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1932Datsun11Phaeton-1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	23081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1952dc3.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	23082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Radiator_Ornament_1951.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	23083  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crest.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	23084  
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Opps, sorry for the second picture. I meant to post these.

I don't know, Carl. I'm not coming up with a Datsun logo that looks like your Canadian brochure. Perhaps the brochure is aftermarket.

Name:	OwnersManualPouch.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	23085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PR_Daytona_76-0001.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	23086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Datsun Advertisement_Captivatingsm.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	23087  
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-2148

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck View Post
    Hi Dan:
    If you search google.com for "Key Wallet" you might see something that is close.

The Nissan Dealers actually bought them in bulk and they could be either vinyl or leather. Some Dealers had their business names printed on them/others didn't.

Here is one I bought a few years ago on E-Bay, it came with a complete lock-set and four original keys for a 71 Z. Also received one of the early key fob's.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Carl,

Sorry for the delay in responding to the information and pictures you have.
    I guess that I was fooled into thinking that the folding key case, much like you have pictured, was a Nissan provided item, given the part number in the miscellaneous section of our parts CD.

I am sure, as you have said, they are an aftermarket item provided by the dealer and most probably without any printing or logo in the leather.

I'll keep searching throught Google and am sure to find one much like the one you have.

Interesting sidebar with you and Chris about the logo. Yet another interesting discussion about something we have all taken for granted, although I had to pay a lot of attention to the Nissan logo when reproducing the master vac decal.

Dan

Member ID
    CZCC-3706

When I got an NOS lockset a few years ago, the keys came in a plastic/leather key wallet. I will upload pics later.

Member ID
    CZCC-2127

Default Searching for original 240Z leather key holder

The parts book supports Fred's comment about the key holder being included in the lock and Key set. It does list the part number separately which is: 80690-E8200.

Dan good luck with your search.

Bob
    ZULAYTR

72 240Z
    ZCCA Gold Medallion & AACA Senior Grand National Award
    94 300ZX TT SMZ #11
    96 300ZX NA

Member ID
    CZCC-3706

Here are the pics:

Name:	100_3955.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	23093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3956.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	23094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3957.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	23095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3958.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	23096  

Member ID
    CZCC-10534

Will someone help clear up this Nissan vs. Aftermarket thing. In another thread dealing with 8-tracks, Mr Beck states;

The 9999 indicates an after-market, locally sourced part - sold though Nissan USA and its Authorized Dealers.
    Here in this thread, the leather/vinyl key case apparently has the part number
    "80690-E8200". Is this aftermarket or not and why? This number doesn't indicate "locally sourced part - sold though Nissan USA and its Authorized Dealers."
    1971 240Z Tenth Anniversary
    1975 280 Zzzap
    1977 280 ZXR

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

From #8 above:

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck View Post
    The key wallets however could be ordered from Nissan, but most were less expensive when purchased from the local aftermarket suppliers and could be printed with the Dealers name, address and phone numbers.
    Hi Moonpup:
    As I said above at Post #8 - the key wallets "COULD" be ordered from Nissan through the Datsun Parts Dept. OR they could be purchased in the after-market, from many promotional speciality companies by the Dealers.

To the best of my knowledge - there are no 9999- numbers for the after-market key wallets, because they were not sold by the Dealers, but rather given away with the car. The Factory supplied parts had Factory Part Numbers.. The Dealers could buy and use either of the two.

The Factory Supplied 8-Tracks had Factory Part Numbers, and the after-market 8-Tracks sold through Nissan USA and thus through the Authorized Dealers had 9999- Part Numbers. Customers could buy either of the two.

Note the Factory "Authorized" Accessories in the 72 Brochure - all have 9999 Part Numbers. You will also see the 9999- Part Numbers on many of the items in the Datsun Competition Catalogs from Nissan USA. Meaning they are locally sourced, but Authorized by, and sold through, Nissan USA and their Authorized Dealers.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Name:	240ZLockSetsm.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	23097   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72Broc2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	23098  

Member ID
    CZCC-10534

Thanks Carl. I missed that "could be" part in your earlier post.
    1971 240Z Tenth Anniversary
    1975 280 Zzzap
    1977 280 ZXR

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Quote Originally Posted by Zulaytr View Post
    The parts book supports Fred's comment about the key holder being included in the lock and Key set. It does list the part number separately which is: 80690-E8200.

Dan good luck with your search.

Bob
    Hi Bob:
    Yes - as I said, the Dealers could order only the Key Wallets from Nissan if they wanted to... and many did. 80690-E8200

Fred however was smart enough to order the whole montie...80010-E4155 "Set-Cylinder Lock Key" applied up to 04/70. So he got the one sided keys, and the gas lid lock!! (along with everything else).

Fred: Is your key wallet (HOLDER-KEY).. leather or vinyl? Picture looks like leather. The one I have is very much the same shape, size, construction - but it is vinyl.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-3706

I obviously did not order the lock set anytime recently but it was sitting on somebodys shelf ......

I thought it was vinyl but after playing with it I cannot tell.
    The outside seems like vinyl but the inside has a slight texture so it must be leather.

Member ID
    CZCC-8607

Default More fuel for the fire,,,,,,,,,,,,

Mike Ethridge

Member ID
    CZCC-15177

I managed to have retained both original key sets for my 240Z with the wallet issued from Nissan when the car was bought in 1970. The case is leather with a plastic printed coating with a Hato-Hasi catch.
    Craig

Member ID
    CZCC-2509

I never cease to be amazed by the amount of effort our members go into regarding Datsun/Nissan related minutiae. I love these posts, and I hope nobody takes offense, but they remind me a little of that old chestnut about why college politics are so viscious.....because there's so little at stake. Lol. Keep up the good work, I gotta go drive my Z.
    1972 240Z Resto almost finished
    1983 280ZX This winter's project

Member ID
    CZCC-15177

Default Changes to Keycases

I recently bought a Nissan keycase for my second set of keys and noted that the keycases of today have somewhat changed from the original including size and material. Refer images - the original 1970 case has the keys attached.

Name:	Keycase Inside.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	66606

Name:	Keycase Outside.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	66607

Thread Information