Thread: Tuners

Member ID
    CZCC-2476

Angry Tuners

Alright!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting tired of all these kids calling themselves tuners!

What the heck is a tuner anyway!!!!!!

"Yeah man, I put a wing on my corsica and it's got 300hp man"

SHUT UP SHUT UP I Cant' take IT!!!!!

You see i work part time in a parts store and I have to deal with these mommas boys every day.
    Which guy knows about cars...
    A. Blue jeans and a T-shirt dirty hands and asking for a meter and jet kit for his 600cfm Edelbrock...
    .....or.....
    B. Hat on side ways, not even backwards but sideways, pants falling down Yellow FUBU shirt and a gallon of cologne, asking for a muffler with a 8 inch tip that will add a 100 hp!!!!!!!1

AHHHHHH , hey man can i get some high performance wires for my del sol, man.

Tuners, ricers hell, I called this guy with a Golf today a ricer and he corrected me and said he was a Deutscher!!!! WTF!!!!!

I CANT TAKE ANYMORE... I actually think this is going to cause me to quit. The whole problem is the 2nd job is going to be my savings for my Z!!!

Thanks for letting me vent

Nate

...I've developed a twitch...
    -Nate

1972 Datsun 240Z #HLS30-47945 (aka: Kikka)
    2007 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed SE 4x4 6 spd
    2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8s SE (Wife-Mobile)

Member ID
    CZCC-3019

Wink

Blessed are they whom are born without self awareness, I aways say about people like that. Some of these kids don't have a clue but the ones that do are our future and alot of them are sharp as hell.
    See where common sense got you? You can't let crap like that eat you up. I would laugh and roll with it and say sure, I got your muffler, but it will cost you.

Britt Boyette

Member ID
    CZCC-2476

Default RE:

BAH! I say. BAH!

signed,

Angry and Bitter
    -Nate

Member ID
    CZCC-3057

Lightbulb

Tuners?!?
    Think a new Muffler would add 100Hp to my Kenwood, hold the 8" tip, I've already got one (no pun intended).
    Darylick
    Will AutoX for food

Ahh, the farty exhaust generation of trying to squezze another hundred horse out of a sewing machine.

I run into many of that kind. Honestly there are some that know their deal and know it well, but there are many that think a supertrap muffler and 4 X 8 sheet of plywood will win lemans. I see alot of guys popping motors like teenagers pop zits before the prom running nitrous. It's all a learning experience I guess. my generation was before the FWD honda or VW became a muscle car.

My biggest pet peeve is that hat sideways crap. who am I to judge, and I am no where near perfect......but am I the only one who thinks that looks completely stupid??

here's a community just like ours

http://www.phathonda.com/members/

this is truly amazing!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assclown.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	1051  

Member ID
    CZCC-3044

I bet with all those sticker mods and huge wings they have..
    They must be putting out atleast, what.. 54 horse power?
    -98' GMC Sonoma ZQ8 4.3l Vortec V6-
    -Dynomax Ultraflo 2.5" Catback-
    -K&N performance drop-in filter-

I wish I had one..

Member ID
    CZCC-1428

can't stand farty 4cl exhausts
    can't stand done up FWD's

They were designed to be cheap economical shopping trollies not race cars

Member ID
    CZCC-1743

They're not cars, they're whitegoods.
    halz
    ---------------------------
    New headers and 2.25" sports system: They say "loud doesn't mean fast"... I'm just testing the theory!

Member ID
    CZCC-3029

whats wrong with building a honda............... i considered building a hatchback with a motor swap befor i got my 240, i dont understand why people hate on other types of cars when time and effort has still gone into them, i just hate ricers weather they drive a mustang or a honda.......
    VC23109 Exhibition of speed.

Member ID
    CZCC-1469

Default Ricer

I know all to well what you are sayin. I have been looking @ putting some ( ricer ) parts in my shop. But after dealing with the part houses that deal in this stuff and talking with some of the dumb azz kids like you talk of . I just wont do it.
    I dont see them as any diff. from the mini truck people in the mid 80s early 90s. Pushing junk parts for the newest craze. Just give it time and it will pass just like hartburn only the hartburn is of the eyes & ears.
    Hang on @ the parts house job. I feel you may bump into kids like that more then you want but you will find more of the real motor heads there then kids. That will make life so easy for you later with knowing the real guys. The price cut on parts will never hurt eather.
    The thing that chaps my azz is all the ( custom ) cars. See the way I see things is. If you made or had the parts made then it can be called a custom car. But if you went and ordered pre made body parts as you can a pizza. Then glue them on so they stay in place so you can get the (cool?) look isnt custom. Thats just plug & play junk that looks the part.
    I reside in Oklahoma and live at the wheel of my 240Z

gimmie the Z or he's toast

Member ID
    CZCC-2504

Default ??????

Gee ,,, I just do not see the reason for the angst.... You must have been a kid once, maybe been a little too arogant... Maybe made a mistake or two,,, or three.... Heck I even owned a 63 corvair once.... slowest thing on the raod back then... I raced it for all it was worth.... Must have got it to 60 once or twice..... These young guys will grow up and most of the ones that don't go to jail will be driving old taurus station wagons full of new kids in a few years .... Don't rain on their parade... Truth be known most of them really admire your Z.... Pay attention when you drive by. The stares are not them laughing at you.... every car enthusiast appreciates a classic....

Chilll let them grow for a while..... someday they will be us,,, and we will be old codgers...

I need another drink now.... BY

Member ID
    CZCC-1542

Default riceballs, sauerkraut,& warm beer

CoastGaurdZ,
    I was having a lousy day till I read this thread. What a hoot.
    I have been in the race business for many years, and even though I might be put off by the type of people you describe, ya gotta deal with them like their really humanoid. After all, a few of them are going to turn out to be good ol' hot rodders just like us. So hang in there.
    Also, thanks to you and your brother Coast Gaurd guys out here on the West coast. They saved my skinny back side one day about two miles off Depoe Bay, central Oregon coast.
    Phred

Member ID
    CZCC-2803

Halz,

What are Whitegoods?

Rob

Member ID
    CZCC-1743

whitegoods: washing machines, refrigerators, dishwashers, microwave ovens, clothes driers etc.

In other words, mass produced utility goods with a fixed life expectancy that we all have just to add a little convenience to our lives. So you can see: Daewoo, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Daihatsu...etc... producers of 4-wheeled whitegoods that clutter the roads!
    halz
    New headers and 2.25" sports system: They say "loud doesn't mean fast"... I'm just testing the theory!

Member ID
    CZCC-1243

I feel young and out of place here when you guys say things like what smg said!!!

btw when I was looking to buy a Z I also looked at Preludes. *hides*

Member ID
    CZCC-2803

Thanks for the clarification halz.

I find that most people I know, in general, drive whitegoods. Or what I refer to as appliances. I especially doubt they have ever experienced a high g-force hairpin curve or a four wheel slide!
    Like the guy a few years back that asked me "when are you going to sell that Z and but something newer". I told him "when they stop selling parts". He drives whitegoods.

By the way, socal means Southern California. It generally refers to the area of the state that extends from the Mexican border to the south up to the Santa Barbara area.

Rob

Member ID
    CZCC-2476

Default Wow!

So this is pretty cool!

Never expected this to get the attention it did! Especially from all over the globe.
    To clarify a few things...I don't hate these idiots, they just bother the piss outta me. The way I look at it, my part time job is to help Joe Blow get the family truckster running so the kids make it to Soccer practice and he can get to work.
    The truth of the matter is most of these clowns don't like old Z's. I've talked to them plenty of times and often you get "when my VTEC kicks in I'll smoke your old Carbuerated piece of $#!t." Of course If you took a Z put a huge tailpipe or two on it, Some glue of Ground effects, neon kit and type R (ugh!) badges you just might be cool enough.
    On the white goods comment, thats about the funniest thing I've heard in a while! But watch out my wifes car is a 95 Acura Integra...Which with her at the helm smoked down an 01 Civic with 17" rims and fart Cannon out the back. The guy commenced to saying she was running nitrous, But couldn't fathom 1.8 with 150hp and less weght could beat his "awesome" 1.6 126hp shopping cart.
    Age: I just recently turned 23. For the most part I am the same age as these clowns. They make me look bad, and they could use a haircut. When I was 16 I built an '84 Monte Carlo SS with a 300hp 350, TH350 tranny, and a 3.73 posi. I knew more about carbs and cams then than the fellas know about anything.

So any way, that's my piece. Not looking to offend anyone just needed to vent that evening...But the post is becoming quite interesting!

Nate
    -Nate

Member ID
    CZCC-2476

Default HALZ

Hey HALZ is that an old Norton in your picture on the left?

Nate
    -Nate

Member ID
    CZCC-1499

I guess when it comes down to it we shouldn't laugh at them too much. When I was their age all the rage was having a 65-70 Chevelle or early Camaro with big fat tires on the back, little skinny tires on the front, and of course air shocks.
    Only good in a very straight line....and usually it was a matter of stopping when the car got around to it....

We all go through the same stage in life, just the objects of our attention change.

What I really would like to know is where the hell these kids now get all the thousands of dollars to throw away on all of this stuff. I worked my butt off for $2.25 an hour when I was that age, and could hardly afford to put gas in my 73 Cuda 340 so I could cruise for chicks.........and gas then only cost 60some cents a gallon!

Did I miss something? Or am I just getting old?

Member ID
    CZCC-1615

Default parents... or lack-there-of

2Many -- I think a major difference is that our folks gave us love and attention...

...instead of showering us with money to keep us happy.

And I guess we can look at it this way -- they are helping to keep the economy going!
    Rick Hanson
    HANSON Motorsports
    www.hmsports.com
    rickh@dmrassociates.com

Member ID
    CZCC-1330

Default You gotta see this...

I figure that this was fitting to the post and would crack you up as much as it did me.

**Warning** May scare young childern...

~Brian

Name:	les schwab special.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	1052  
    When you are on the downside of advantage relying purely on courage...
    It's possible.

Brian
    '72 240 HLS30 59756

Member ID
    CZCC-1743

Default Norton? No...

Nate,

Its a Moto Guzzi 1000S, a twin cylinder 1000cc, shaft-drive Italian bike. Alas I sold it late last year ...all funds raised go to the "Z for Hayden fund!" The pic was taken on the day the new owner picked it up and that's my 3 y.o daughter standing next to it. The same daughter who said "I like your bike Daddy, don't let that man take it away!!"...

Interesting fact for you: the California Highway Patrol used Moto Guzzi bikes extensively in the '70s (?) before swapping out to (you guessed it) Harley Davidson. That brief association was the origin of the numerous Moto Guzzi 'California' cruiser models.

Name:	1000s_i.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	1054  
    halz

Member ID
    CZCC-1430

Default Whiteoods, et al..

Greetings,
    Got to chime in on this topic for sure...

I am just glad not to be 16 to 20 yrs old right now or I would probably also be blatting down the road in a ricer with a big phaty pipe sticking out the rear... It depends on your point of reference what constitutes cool. To them the honda/acura/etc is their point of reference just like early Datsuns were for me.

I ran across a shop local to me that actually produces some very good speed products for these cars, not just cosmetic bolt-ons. This place even had a dyno and ricer race cars that matched anything I have seen at any of the tracks I've been to. Not all of them are profiling and some are serious gearheads.

Most of the people driving down the road are just plain satisfied with a whitegoods ride (BTW love that term). The majority of them are droids in this world anyway and aren't here trying to get a kick out of anything, just pluggin along is all they need. At least the gearhead spirit is alive in with some of these ricer guys and will mature in some fashion - or they may just end up pushing around minivans filled with kids and a big phaty pipe sticking out the back!

My $.05 worth.

Hey CG Z - Just think of the goof-ball posers as bringing you that paycheck money and sell them anything their little heart desires...

I'm just investing in the "miracle-ear" company stock cause all those ricers are going to be deaf when they hit 40 from that god-awful music playing so loud on the stereo....I'll retire in style.
    Dave Sommers - 240Z
    Z Car Club of Northern Virginia

Member ID
    CZCC-1428

Default Re: ??????

Originally posted by smg1404
    You must have been a kid once, maybe been a little too arogant... Maybe made a mistake or two,,, or three....
    I need another drink now.... BY
    I agree, you don't get born an expert, it takes a fair few years to establish some standards. Parental Guidance is at fault!

Member ID
    CZCC-1303

Question It's a mystery to me...

I can't for the life of me see how these kids could possibly have the money they sink into these cars! In my town, Late model Acuras with at least $20K of bolt-ons are driven by 16~20 year olds! How can this be?

At that age (in 1977), I had a job, a 68 Dodge Polara that I bought from my Father for $50.00 and could just - JUST - afford gas and insurance.
    Where did I go Wrong?
    DatsunVic CZC1303
    ダットサンビク
    72 HLS30 94071
    72 510
    70 SRL311 13136
    71 PL521
    Los Angeles
    Visit My Other Photo Site

Member ID
    CZCC-2504

Default Oh boy

Yeah I know about the all show guys and the guys that had cars that could really do something other than make a lot of noise.... Even when I was a young guy in the late sixties and early seventies there were mostly cars with loud exhausts and fat tires jacked way up in the air.... I remember seeing before that the really strange ones that had the front jacked up high and the rear dragging the ground.... who thought of that???? I guess the reality of this whole discussion is that every generation uses the equipment available, mixed with thier own skills to find out where they stand on this image versus real performance thing.... Heck when I was young , there was a constant conflict of interests between the cars and the girls..... Depending on where my head was ( not up my ass ) one or the other took priority at that time.... I found that cars were more predictable... and sometimes more fun..... but not always.... and cars were cheaper,,,, but not always... I guess the thing is growing up is a bitch for all of us.... Priorities are hard to get into place .... and when you do , sometimes you hate the answer.... Getting pretty deep??? isn't it Wait I will get my boots..... I amm seriously looking at buying a Miata... My Z is a a total bitch.... It kicks ass without a doubt, but It also consumes tooo much gas,, and tooo much time , and is not alwasys there for me when I need it... I have yound kids,,,( I started late, ) And I am maybe being too consumed by this whole Z thing to see what really counts... I love the Z and may not sell it , unless someone wants to pay enough to get my interest... But the idea of having a trouble free car that is economical, and can kick my Z's ass any day at the autocross is hard to resist.... Sorry for the BS ,,,, But when I see that the discussions sometimes get so intense.... I wonder where my real priorities should be.... After all we are all just passing through this world,, lets make the passing easy for all.

Member ID
    CZCC-1898

Default Car modding

Hi all,

I think it is harmless what the "young ones" do to their cars (not like I am old or anything!!)

I say, if they aren't harming you in any way, then let them be!!!
    Its not like they are forcing you at gun point to attend one of their import car shows etc right???

I used to have a Honda Civic with 17" wheels, suspension work, exhaust, air filter, different body parts etc (this was when I 1st got my drivers licence in '95) But does that make me one of those guys that you are all bagging??? (so what if it does, I am still the same person regardless if I now drove a zed or a Civic!!!)

There is no difference in "them" changing parts on their cars, then you guys spending money on your zeds, its all to a different "taste" ie swapping bulky later model impact bumpers on your zeds for 240 style ones etc

Also with the money spent on cars issue: times have changed and you cannot compare old times with now!!! The amount of disposable income for each age bracket has changed etc and if now days the younger ones have more disposable income that what you had before, you should just think that they are luckier than you were and accept it at that and not be jealous etc!!!

I had a Porsche 911 when I was 19 years old (and sold it to do my RB26DETT 240Z ) but did anyone know how much of a bank loan I had to pay off??? NO, people assume parents buy it for you or you are dealing drugs etc, can't they accept that even young kids can have a job and save up and get bank loans???

If you don't like something bad luck, if it is not harming you then people are allowed to freely do whatever pleases them!!!

How boring would it be if the amount of zeds on the roads is the same as say Civics etc!!! Then would zeds be whitegoods too???

Relax a bit, give and take; there are others around on the planet too.
    Imola Yellow RB26DETT 240Z
    Perth Western Australia

Member ID
    CZCC-1243

hahaha cuong had a riced civic

Member ID
    CZCC-1889

ricer or not ...the fact of the matter is ... the jap auto makers are more succesfull world wide.

Whether it be a 240Z or an Integra Type R they have the audience with the disposable income to afford them and all the mods that go with it. They have a winning formula.

Just out of curiosity, if a person who drives a japanese car is referred to as a ricer than a person who drives an american car would be a "hot dog" .... hhmm

Member ID
    CZCC-2504

Default Food

FUnny how all of these names are based on food...

Member ID
    CZCC-1330

Default Hey SMG...

I know that this is off the subject and I apologize in advance, but SMG, what are you running to supply the triples fuel wise?

I have the triple mikuni set up on my '74 up and running and I need a fuel pump that will run it.

Currently, I am using the stock electric pump from my parts stash and amazingly enough it seems fine, even at the higher revs...

And holy cow that car is FAAAAAAAST.

Thanks sir!
    When you are on the downside of advantage relying purely on courage...
    It's possible.

Brian
    '72 240 HLS30 59756

Member ID
    CZCC-2533

The way all of you guys talk about the "young ones" with the big pipes in the back of the hondas makes me feel really mature. I feel the exact same way that you guys do. I have alot of freinds that fix up "rice rockets." They sure do look fast with the fiberglass body kit but 9 times out of 10 it is stock with a noisy pipe. This one guy i know fixed up up a 91 accord with almost 300,000 miles on it. He put a turbo and nos on it. I will aggree that us kids are dumb like that. You know how the old saying goes. A bird doesnt learn to fly till it falls from the nest few times. I just turned 20 the other day and I'm having a blast restoring my 72 240. It has an L28 F/I and will probably beat the pants off any of my freinds with ricers. I almost get some kind of apprieciation fixing up a car that is older then me...epsecially when it's 10 years older then me. I feel I more respect and interest from all ages and interest and not just the "ricer street race scene." I wont be just another annoying, noisy, wannabe, honda driver. I'll be driving a Classic! ...oh yah and noisy too
    Z pride!

Steve
    1972 240z
    L28 F/I
    Bringin her back to life.

Thread Information