Thread: Need advice: Adding to the garage... Duetto anyone

Supporting Member Zedyone_kenobi's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Default Need advice: Adding to the garage... Duetto anyone

I am looking into buying the wife a project car that she can drive around. She desperately wants an E-type, but 100k is not in the budget. But a 1967 Alfa Duetto is more than possible.

have any of you guys ever dabbled in these cars? I am looking to buy one in very good shape. I plan to fully execute the buy the best one I can possibly afford mantra.

But does anybody here have experience with these cars?
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691
    93.9% done and getting better every day
    Now with 100% more DATSUN SPIRIT L28 Power
    1968 Datsun 2000 SRL311-03416

Boat Anchor Repairman Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-24608

I have lots of experience with it's hardtop predecessor. A 61 Giulietta Sprint. [sigh...]

What advice can I provide? Same as a Z. Buy one that has as little rust on it as you can afford. Other than that, everything is easy. The driveline is rugged assuming it hasn't been abused, but the rust is the big issue. Interior is "just money".

Other thoughts? You've got the choice between Veloce ("Performance" model), and Normale ("Normal" model). Veloce commands more money. Your wife probably doesn't need one, and your wallet will be thankful. Your troubleshooting time will be thankful as well.

Beyond that?
    Lucas electricals - The only thing worse is Marelli.
    Girling brakes - As bad of a reputation as Lucas electricals.

I love the old Alfas.... If I had more room, I'd still have one.

Member ID
    CZCC-24608

And, I've still got some old books and repair literature, etc that I would be more than happy to send you if you pull the trigger and buy something like that. Just LMK.

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

I had one when I was in college. Wet sleeve engine and it was difficult for me to keep a head gasket in it. Valve adjustment was more difficult because it had shims on top of the valve stems rather than a screw and lock nut. Really enjoyed it and if you look around the internet, there is plenty of info on them.

I'm not certain of the 'veloce / normale' designation for a 1967 Duetto. The early models did not have the chopped tail like the later versions. My Duetto had headlight covers also.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1967-alfa-romeo-duetto.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	63101
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Thanks very much guys. This is all so fun. It reminds me of back when I had no idea about what an SU carb was and how it worked. Had no idea about slow Datsun wipers, etc. It is another whole car with another whole set of issues/strengths/weaknesses. In short I have the chance to get an italian dance partner to go with my Geisha girlfriend.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-22303

It sounds like you and the wife are very much a well-matched set. Congrats!

Jim Arnett
    HLS30-15320 12/1970, original owner
    L24-020208 (original)
    IZCC Original Owner Registry #53

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

Sounds like a great family hobby to me - hope you find one
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

The Alfas are nice, fun cars. But depending on how deep into your wallet you want to go, a similar experience that might be more affordable might be an early Fiat 124 Spider. A twin-cam-but-small-bumper Spider can be a seriously nice driving car. I personally prefer the looks of them over the Alfas.

Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-7641
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

Member ID
    CZCC-18366

My mom had a Fiat 124 spider back in the old days. I got to drive it once in a while, it was fun to drive.
    I enjoyed the Triumph GT6 MkIII I had though the Lucas electrics drove me crazy. Only car I ever drove where the headlight switch cover fell off.

Member ID
    CZCC-20758

Porsche short wheel base 912 or long wheel base 911T, if you can find one that's affordable

Easier to work on than most people think!
    '72 Fairlady 240Z-L - HS30-10052, Imported in 1973 from Yokota Airbase
    '70 240Z - HLS30-19927, History in SCCA CP & Trans-Am, ICSCC CIP, IMSA GTU
    '77 Porsche 930 Turbo Carrera - Black on black
    '13 Subaru BRZ Limited - Daily Driver

Member ID
    CZCC-13823

I say definitely go for it! Italian cars have a style and personality all their own. I agree with Arne that a Fiat spider is another good choice. And don't believe what you hear about the (lack of) reliability of Italian cars....they are just like anything else, it depends on whether they have bee maintained or not. I bought my Fiat ('84 X1/9) a year and a half ago and its been a total hoot to drive and I've had ZERO problems.
    '82 Datsun 280ZX Turbo
    '14 Ford Focus ST
    '84 Bertone X 1/9
    '07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
    '97 Ducati 916

Member ID
    CZCC-7517

OK, I give up.
    What is year/make/model of that "or" car? Kinda looks like a "Steve McQueen" 275 GTB4
    I love it.
    Bart

5/71 240z, HLS30-31306, mostly stock, ZTherapy SU's, Pertronix, Eibach ProKit, KYB, Poly bushings, 60 amp alternator w/Dave's plug bypass, headlight and parking light harness upgrades.

Member ID
    CZCC-25433

I like Alpine A110.
    Alpine A110: Description of the model, photo gallery, modifications list ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alpine-a110-07.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	63111

Haven't seen real one in my life.
    '75/280z

Member ID
    CZCC-26864

Default Not necessarily in that order...

Quote Originally Posted by Zedyone_kenobi View Post
    does anybody here have experience with these cars?
    I had an E-type, 1967, 4.2 motor, covered headlamps. WHEN it ran, it was fantastic. Smooth, powerful, tons of torque out of that big six.

The E's as a breed had lots of problems. Overheating was probably #1. I eventually diagnosed what caused probably 85% of all E-type overheating, a very funky original thermostat with unique features that NONE of the available or aftermarket replacements had --- namely a second plate which shut off the bypass. And a too-small coolant overflow tank. Along with 22 hoses, one of which was almost ALWAYS leaking or ready for replacement. The problems with that car were almost NEVER in the bottom of the engine, clutch, or transmission. They lay elsewhere -- electrical, cooling, hydraulic...

The electrical system was not robust in any manner; and the OEM 2-blade cooling fan downright pathetic.

And the parts were horribly, horribly expensive, even 25 years ago.

It's a beautiful car to look at. A treat for the eyes. As a weekender, maybe. A daily driver, no way.

The two best days of a Jaguar owner's life are the day they purchase it, and the day they sell it. Not necessarily in that order.

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

I am currently working on getting pricing and info on this...

It is new york state.

But that would be a great long drive back. The prices are all over the place. I have seen great ones from 18-25k. NO telling where this guy will come in at.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-18366

That looks like the car in that Richard Pryor movie where he is blind and his buddy is deaf?

70 240Z HLS30-00907, 1/70, wiper motor 97 Accord, Dave's harness mods, turn signal relay mod, quartz movement in clock, map light fixed, connectors cleaned/greased, 60A alt w/ NOS voltage regulator, weatherstrip replaced, defroster grid replaced, undergoing rust prevention. Previous owner of 71 240Z, 8/71, HLS30-41545, last seen in Sacramento painted blue (originally orange) has anyone seen it?

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

That white car is OUT, I mean out

That guy is looking for 40k for that car. Hagerty and hemmings show the current value for a concurs restoration is 32. I think everybody in NY state is crazy.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-24608

There's a lot of love for the Duetto and the prices reflect that. You're probably already aware, but you can get basically the same car with the Kamm tail for much cheaper. I think the Duetto ended in 69 and the vertical back Kamm tail started in 70. Cheaper, but doesn't carry the same "mystique" as the Duetto. If your wife doesn't care, then a later Kamm tail might suffice.

Forgot to mention it before, but I've not heard good things about the SPICA fuel injection system. Everyone is always screwing with it and bitching about the unreliability and lots of people pull the whole system off and throw on a pair of Webers instead. However, with myself being a flat top carb proponent, I'm sensitive that there may be different views on that situation.

I looked at my books and I don't have anything new enough to cover the Duetto.
    All my info is from back when the Spider looked like this:

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Default Adding To The Garage..

I just went though a similar process. Looking for something that the Wife and I could enjoy in a more or less Classic Car or Special Interest Car. We really didn't want a "project" as much as something that was ready to drive and enjoy.

Had to have:
    Modern A/C for Florida {her main objection to the 240Z}
    Convertible - she missed her last one...
    Sporty..to Sports/GT
    Classic Car Insurance

The requirement for modern A/C pretty much ruled out most 40 year old sports cars. A retractable hardtop seemed to be the best of both worlds ie Convertible with good A/C.

Mecerdes Benz SLK 230 Sport

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-15138

You should come up here for this auction, this guy donated his whole car collection to a local collage to auction off as a fundraiser. I count three E's in the bunch. Have no idea what they will fetch or condition.
    J.C. (Jack) Anderson Auto Auction - VehiclesMar2013 - a set on Flickr

Member ID
    CZCC-24403

I'm considering a later model XJS convertible (1995-1997) for my "ball and chain" (lol). I had an earlier year model with the V12 which was an awesome driver.....when it ran. But, Jaguar had still not worked out all of the kinks in their electrical systems by 1992. I understand that the 6 cylinder models made during the end of the production were about as good of a car as Jaguar ever made. Anyway, it's the type of car that the little lady can appreciate, while being one that I can enjoy as well.

As for 60's era roadsters, I've always liked Maxwell Smart's Sunbeam Tiger.....but how often do you run across one of them?

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Are you looking for a project, or ready to drive? The first post said project, but the white was obviously not.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

I am looking to buy the best Duetto/spidier I can. Yes the boat tail is a definite requirement. The reason I started to look up cars like the white one is my budget is around 20k. That gets you to near the top of a #2 condition car. As these cars are nearing 50 years old, they are going to be projects as we know no matter how good they look in pictures. Unless you buy a #1 pebble beach car there will be gaskets to fix, rubber to replace, carbs to tune, bushings to renew, wiring to clean off, etc. The list of projects goes on. I had pretty good success with my spend more up front approach to my Datsun, and I still replaced the engine, tranny, bushings, hoses, seals, mounts, fuel lines, fuel tank, well you guys know. So I thought I would throw more money at the problem with a car that will no doubt not be as robust as a Datsun. I do believe that these cars like british cars are not nearly as bad as they are made out to be, when they are in a good state of repair. So I want to by one that,like my datsun requires next to ZERO body work. Thus the 20k price. I will spend the next 5 years getting the car how I want it.

So in my mind any Duetto outside of a perfect #1 condition, is going to be a project.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-24608

Gotcha. If the boat tail is a requirement, then you're painting yourself into a beautiful corner.

Aluminum block and head, wet cast iron sleeved, chain driven DOHC hemi with direct tappet driven valves. The clatter is hypnotizing. The whine of the gears. The smell of the seat foam. The 'snick-snick' of the gearshift. The way it flits through the curves...

The way the heater doesn't work for shat.
    The constant voltage regulator and generator replacements.
    The carb percolation.
    The faded sun crazed plastic on the once beautiful dash gauges.
    The seats from an era before headrests and shoulder belts and where the recline mechanism is an adjustment screw on the bottom.

You either get old Alfas or you don't. If there's anything I can do from the eastern end of PA, LMK.

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Hey at least it is a 12V system!

I think suffering through a italian car is mandatory for a self proclaimed car enthusiast.
    I sincerely thank you for your offer, and I may very well end up asking (read as begging) for help one day.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

Stephen,
    I thought I remember you recently having a kid. Doesn't that have to factor in? Or is your wife scheming for the "oh honey, I can't possibly put the baby in the front seat so I'll have to go alone and leave the baby with you?"

That scheme has served me well for years.
    Last edited by tlorber; 05-02-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

There is one here where I am visiting for the next 2 weeks: http://ajuda.olx.pt/alfa-romeu-duetto-iid-434101031

Lisbon...I can ship it
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

I did, He is awesome!

But this car is destined to be driven by my wife and I for the time being, then I will give it to my oldest son for a high school car (if he wants it) and when he goes to college, it will get passed to my youngest son. They are 4.5 years apart.

It is a perfectly conceived plan!!!

Except the part where I have time to work on the Alfa.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-24608

Here's one of those poorly written broken english Craigslist ads with no pics:
    ALFA ROMEO DUETTO SPYDER 1969
    But the price indicates it might be something interesting.

Of course... There are ads like this too:
    73 240z

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

That 73 Z makes me sneeze just looking at it.

My search for the boattail spider continues...
    I will call that guy and get pics.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Just walked by one of these new Alfa's..... looks even better in the flesh:

New Duetto-ish

http://aveiro-aveiro.olx.pt/alfa-rom...-iid-436750128

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

That does look like fun man!

Get one before they become polluted with Chrysler engineering.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

How about this? http://fafe-braga.olx.pt/alfa-romeo-...-iid-294783727

Saw a DB5, Bugatti and a 1980 GTV drive by today

Member ID
    CZCC-16285

OH man, GTV's are one of the VERY few cars I would sell the Datsun for....I love them.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

GTV reminded me of a scirocco crossed with an eclat...nice Kamm back too. There was a parade of cars around the city on Sunday.... some beauties.

aha: http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/04/26/p...sic-car-rally/

That explains it.
    Last edited by Blue; 05-05-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-15138

Just an update as this auction was the past weekend. Here are the prices they sold for:
    1956 Jaguar XK140 2 Dr - 27,000
    1960 Jaguar MK11 4 Dr - 10,100
    1965 Jaguar XKE- 15,700
    1968 Jaguar XKE 2+2 4.2 L auto - 17,800
    1968 jaguar 420 4 Dr - 9,000
    1972 Jaguar E Type V12 2+2 -23,750
    1982 Jaguar XJ12L Vanden Plas 4Dr - 3,100
    1985 Jaguar XJS 2 Dr - 4,600
    2000 Jaguar S-type 4 Dr - 13,500
    2000 Jaguar XKR 2 Dr - 24,000
    as well
    1973 240Z - 4,600
    I was not at the auction so I can not speak as to what condition the cars were in and these prices are in Cdn dollers.
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by 240dkw View Post
    You should come up here for this auction, this guy donated his whole car collection to a local collage to auction off as a fundraiser. I count three E's in the bunch. Have no idea what they will fetch or condition.
    J.C. (Jack) Anderson Auto Auction - VehiclesMar2013 - a set on Flickr

Thread Information