Thread: Safe distance from salt water for parking a car

Member ID
    CZCC-18366

Default Safe distance from salt water for parking a car

How far does one have to park from the ocean to keep a car safe from salt water corrosion? Has anyone lived near salt water and seen corrosion from the water?

70 240Z HLS30-00907, 1/70, wiper motor 97 Accord, Dave's harness mods, turn signal relay mod, quartz movement in clock, map light fixed, connectors cleaned/greased, 60A alt w/ NOS voltage regulator, weatherstrip replaced, defroster grid replaced, undergoing rust prevention. Previous owner of 71 240Z, 8/71, HLS30-41545, last seen in Sacramento painted blue (originally orange) has anyone seen it?

Member ID
    CZCC-20649

We live half a mile from a harbour, and get salt spray on our house windows when we get a storm. I havn't noticed corosion on my car because it is covered, and not outside in the weather.
    Last edited by olzed; 06-05-2014 at 04:48 PM.

'72 240Z(G) 3.2L
    Member ID
    CZCC-7328

Kansas
    if a little knowledge can make you dangerous, I'm a little dangerous

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

It kills our cars here. If you are in sight of the ocean on a windy day you can see the salt spray dry on your car.

The fog also is salty and bathes the car and every crevice with salt.

They also salt the roads here but the ocean moderates the temperature so that it is usually above freezing in the day and below freezing at night. This results in the ice melting in the day and the salt making a brine that makes cars white and crusted. It soaks in every crevice in the underside and rots wheel wells. At night it freezes and the water turns to black ice...fun and adventure.

Welcome to Nova Scotia! It makes one a better driver as well as identify which cars rust faster (WORST Mazda, Hyundai, Subaru, Nissan, Honda , Toyota BEST)

Cars are now made better at not-rusting. All cars used to have visible rust after 5 -6 years in the 90's, now they go 8-10 years. Seam sealing has helped a lot.

Nissan had problems with steel and aluminum subframes (electrolysis) . the funniest are steel and aluminum tire pressure sensors and caps that corrode... a tire valve cap causes a few hundred dollars to replace a pressure sensor.
    Last edited by Blue; 06-05-2014 at 07:47 PM.
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

Member ID
    CZCC-18366

Interesting answers. Kansas. Now that is good. I guess my Z is already at risk and I didn't even know it. I better start packing to move further inland. heh heh.
    I didn't know fog could carry salt inland. I wonder what the film is that gets left on the windows. Just salt I guess.
    Half a mile? Wow that is a longer distance for salt to carry than what I thought it could do. I remember being on vacation at the seashore and noticing an outside circuit breaker box showing signs of corrosion. It was about 400 yards from salt water.
    Blue, I have wondered about cutting sheet metal out of JY newer cars to fix sheet metal on a Z due to better corrosion resistance.
    Last edited by Mikes Z car; 06-05-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

It also makes a difference exactly where the car parked relative to buildings. A friend of mine has an apartment on the ocean front in Venice, and the difference in corrosion rate (on balcony railings) is incredible between the front and rear of the building. He ultimately scrapped out the iron and replaced with stainless.
    Tlorber
    '73 240 +/- done
    '73 240 survivor
    '69 SRL 311
    '54 GMC Going onto S10 frame w/LS motor
    '99 Lexus GS Driver

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Quote Originally Posted by Mikes Z car View Post
    How far does one have to park from the ocean to keep a car safe from salt water corrosion? Has anyone lived near salt water and seen corrosion from the water?
    500 miles
    Bryan Pilati
    1971 Datsun 240Z (8/71; 920 paint)
    IZCC #583; TZCC #16; CZC #110
    I'm never serious unless I should be.

Member ID
    CZCC-12190

You could take a freshly sand blasted datsun fender and put in the full sun in the Mohave desert in August, and it would be rusty in 72 hours....

If you want to get all scientific about it,

Air + the earth and its oceans => wind => clouds => humidity => rust. Fast or slow, its gonna getcha!
    -----------------------------------------
    Jim
    73 240Z HLS30 149331
    69 510 PL510 77603

www.zKars.com
    www.calgaryzclub.ca
    Reference materials
    www.xenonS30.com

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Jim you listening to Neil Young again?

Get some sleep!
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

It's awesome bartsscooterservice's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Quote Originally Posted by Mikes Z car View Post
    Interesting answers. Kansas. Now that is good. I guess my Z is already at risk and I didn't even know it. I better start packing to move further inland. heh heh.
    I didn't know fog could carry salt inland. I wonder what the film is that gets left on the windows. Just salt I guess.
    Half a mile? Wow that is a longer distance for salt to carry than what I thought it could do. I remember being on vacation at the seashore and noticing an outside circuit breaker box showing signs of corrosion. It was about 400 yards from salt water.
    Blue, I have wondered about cutting sheet metal out of JY newer cars to fix sheet metal on a Z due to better corrosion resistance.
    When we have the wind from the south, sometimes sand all the way from the Sahara drops down on everything here. It happened a few weeks ago, my entire car was covered in fine sand... and that's over 1000's of KM of travel for the sand! Looks like this:

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/...ary/143092.jpg
    HLS30 32581, 5/71 Matching numbers

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Member ID
    CZCC-18366

Holy crapola I never thought sand could travel that far.
    I saw a post on the net somewhere where someone lived close to a saltwater beach and they said they were always fighting rust though they didn't say anything about cars nor how close to the water they were.

Thread Information