Thread: 1973 240Z and Lotus SCCA Production Racing Rules

Member ID
    CZCC-19337

Default 1973 240Z and Lotus SCCA Production Racing Rules

Hello,

Does anyone have an SCCA Production Racing Rules Book? I am looking for the rules relating to the 1973 240Z and the Lotus Europa.

The information needed is the race weight, engine size, wheel and tire size, etc.

Does anyone have a dyno read out for the 240Z for that time period? Or, do you have a dyno of an engine built to the 1973 specs? If so, please email a copy.

Can you help?

Thank you, Jim Pennington jpenn35633@yahoo.com

Crumudgeon
    Member ID
    CZCC-798

From the July 1 1972 CP rules:

Datsun 240Z Sports

Capacity: 146 cu. in.
    Official Weight: 2018 lbs.
    Wheel Diameter: 14"
    Rim Width: 5.5"

Lotus Europa Twin Cam

Capacity: 1158 cc
    Offical Weight: 1338 lbs.
    Wheel diameter: 13"
    Rim Width: 5.5"

Member ID
    CZCC-24346

Any other information would be very helpful. I am also trying to start Class C production racing. I'd like to eventually take a 2.4 liter 911 Porsche.

Member ID
    CZCC-24346

Lag, duplicate entry. Deleted.

Member ID
    CZCC-7454

Quote Originally Posted by proracer View Post
    Hello,

Does anyone have an SCCA Production Racing Rules Book? I am looking for the rules relating to the 1973 240Z and the Lotus Europa.

The information needed is the race weight, engine size, wheel and tire size, etc.

Does anyone have a dyno read out for the 240Z for that time period? Or, do you have a dyno of an engine built to the 1973 specs? If so, please email a copy.

Can you help?

Thank you, Jim Pennington jpenn35633@yahoo.com
    Having raced "C" back in the day then upgraded the car to IMSA specifications, I have some correct parts for you project if interested send me a PM. jlp
    Jerry Purcell
    1970 HLS30 00029 Owner since 1976 Now owned by Les Canaday (Classic Datsun Motorsports)
    1972 HLS30 93606 IZCC Registion #105 Original owner back home after full restoration by Classic Datsun Motorsports

Member ID
    CZCC-8839

I believe it's completely achievable to get 260 hp out of a CP engine build. We already do it. Also, I don't think the 2.4 liter Porsche is in the CP class according to the rules in SVRA. That's a good thing because they make tons of power and can get down to weight which is very hard for the Z. The Z is CP trim must weigh 1968 lbs. Try to get there. It's probably best to take the penalty and the brake upgrades. I have found that there's a lot of tolerance at these event because they like the numbers, BUT-UNTIL-WAIT, don't beat the Porsches. Oh my, once you start beating these guys, all heck breaks loose and you might as well put you car in the hauler because about ten rich guys will be crawling under it. It happens to me almost every time I go race against them. People in general, except Z enthusiasts, have forgotten how fast a well prepared and well driven Z car is.....

Go get em!!

Greg Ira

ZCOOR #109
    Member ID
    CZCC-1844

Yo Greg,
    Thanks for carrying on the Z car tradition in SCCA racing. Are you to be at RA in EP again this year?
    Lowell
    original owner 72-240Z
    Original Blue w/White, 79,000Miles

Member ID
    CZCC-5664

Quote Originally Posted by gira View Post
    I believe it's completely achievable to get 260 hp out of a CP engine build. We already do it. Also, I don't think the 2.4 liter Porsche is in the CP class according to the rules in SVRA. That's a good thing because they make tons of power and can get down to weight which is very hard for the Z. The Z is CP trim must weigh 1968 lbs. Try to get there. It's probably best to take the penalty and the brake upgrades. I have found that there's a lot of tolerance at these event because they like the numbers, BUT-UNTIL-WAIT, don't beat the Porsches. Oh my, once you start beating these guys, all heck breaks loose and you might as well put you car in the hauler because about ten rich guys will be crawling under it. It happens to me almost every time I go race against them. People in general, except Z enthusiasts, have forgotten how fast a well prepared and well driven Z car is.....

Go get em!!

Greg Ira
    Greg,

Tell them how the Porsche drivers had you bumped in class so you were out there with Audi R8's etc. at Sebring! The Porsche guys need to remember the Z cars regularly kicked their butts back in the day.
    Mark
    '71 240Z White 904
    VIN HLS3022975
    '78 280Z Wine Red Metallic 611
    VIN HLS30468702
    IZCC #13834 CZC #5664
    '07 Nismo 350Z Silver Alloy Serial #0007
    VIN JN1BZ34E47M552354

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

I don't recall the 2.4 L Porsche 911 racing in CP back in the day. But I DO know what you are talking about, Greg. Keep the faith!
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-8839

Hi Lowell,

We will be at Road America again this year with a lighter more powerful car. We are also using the newer Hoosier radials, which is a sharp contrast to what has been used for many years. Anyway, I think we still have a decent shot at a win. We just need a little bit of luck.

Greg

Thread Information