Thread: Age-Old Battle! 240Z vs. 280Z

Member ID
    CZCC-4910

Default Age-Old Battle! 240Z vs. 280Z

Hey folks! It's time to open up that wound again! We all know there's a little bit of tension between the 240z guys and the 280z guys (At least I have a little) about the differences in our cars.

I wanna know why you think each car, 240z or 280z, is better than the other, and your reasoning behind it. No cheapo answers like, "The 240z is better because it's the original." We've heard that one enough, tell me YOUR reasoning behind your argument, even if it's simple.

I think the 240z is an awesome sports car, and it has its place in history as a car built out of need, but the 280z was ALSO born out of necessity: to stay powerfull in the face of a gas and safety crisis.

As a result, I think it made it a better car in some ways than the 240z. For example, its frame rails are thicker as is the metal, making it stiffer car in general (heavier as well, yes).

Not to mention the fuel injection. The 240z had 150hp stock with a 9-to-1 compression ratio. The 280z not only overcame its 8.3-to-1 ratio by gaining enough horses to reach 149 (rated at 170 at the engine) but GAINED 15 LB/FT of torque over the 240z! (check zhome for the specs) I think this is augmented by the lower redline, making the power more accessible.

This is my view of a couple facts that have been overlooked when considering the 280z compared to the 240z. I LOVE both cars though, so don't worry, I'm not bashing! This thread was partly born out of envy of the 240z's out there!

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

The 240 is lighter and handles better. On a really tight course the 240 would win a race. But i have a l28 in my 240 tho
    HLS30-217804 6/75 "The Unnatural One"

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-4995

I love the 240z because its lighter , not as common and doesn't have the larger bumpers. Besides I like the simple aspect of the 240z , just your basic motor , light car and lots of fun.
    72 240z Yellow
    HLS3077658
    Nickname "Rusty"
    Slow Restore

71 240z Red
    HLS3033776
    43k original
    Getting Done

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by seerex
    I love the 240z because its lighter , not as common and doesn't have the larger bumpers. Besides I like the simple aspect of the 240z , just your basic motor , light car and lots of fun.
    I agree totally. I haven't found my Z yet, but I'd say that chances are better than 90% that it will be a 240.

Member ID
    CZCC-4910

According to Zhome, the 240z pulled between .72 and .78g's on the skidpad, while the 280z pulled about .72. that's 6/100ths of a g difference. I guess you're still right, but the gap is not large. That is, if we're talking stock form.

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

the 240z is better looking

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-1243

What about the 260Z? Some people prefer the via media, so to speak.

Anyway, 240Z for me. Lighter, better looking, simpler, more focussed in terms of its philosophy and THE ORIGINAL!

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

oh yeah and the 240 is totally awsome!

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-4910

I think if my Z gets totalled or stollen or explodes, I'll get a 240z..but for now, I like my 280z. I would like to see a race between an SCCA prepared 240z and 280z. Hmm..better head out to the track next month! hehe.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by Pennyman
    According to Zhome, the 240z pulled between .72 and .78g's on the skidpad, while the 280z pulled about .72. that's 6/100ths of a g difference. I guess you're still right, but the gap is not large. That is, if we're talking stock form.
    There's a lot more to handling than just the skidpad numbers. Lighter car is crisper and more responsive. Skidpad can't tell that.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Mass and geomerty-240 had lower mass, 280 had better geometry!
    Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-4910

280 had better geometry!
    Please explain...

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

The front suspension has more travel in a 280Z.
    Sway bars were standard on both ends in a 280Z.
    Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-8964

The bumpers kill me on the 280z, but I prefer to work on the fuel injected L28 over a L24 any day. I am young and I know nothing about carburetors, I dont even know if I spelt that correct, so I looked for and found a 75' 280z. It is simple to work on and reliable for the average person. So if this discussion was on the original car, no swaps, I would go for the 280z for the motor.

Member ID
    CZCC-4910

Awesome.

My mistake, this thread has been covered before actually. Sorry for wasting space, hehe.

It's my understanding that the 280z was a better built car, and feels more solid when compared to a 240z, not to mention less rust, and cheaper.

I also think it was examined that the the 280z had a slightly better power to weight ratio if you can believe it.

I think part of the problem was the fact that the suspension wasn't augmented to hold the extra 500-or-so lbs of 280z and the suspension was mostly carried over from the 240z, probably to save production costs, and as a byproduct, Nissan marketed the car as more "luxurious".
    Last edited by Pennyman; 08-21-2005 at 10:51 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-5664

Both are great cars. You won't be disappointed with either one.
    Mark
    '71 240Z White 904
    VIN HLS3022975
    '78 280Z Wine Red Metallic 611
    VIN HLS30468702
    IZCC #13834 CZC #5664
    '07 Nismo 350Z Silver Alloy Serial #0007
    VIN JN1BZ34E47M552354

Member ID
    CZCC-8401

As much as i love the original 240z i would go with the 280z , but remove the bumpers totally =) Ive had the chance to fix both and drive both ( not very far but... hey i can tell the difference) and the 280 had a lot more zip. As for handling thats totally stock and most people out there atleast have modified tires so it will most likely cancel that catagoery out. They are both beautiful fun cars but when it comes down to working, fine tuning, driving, and saftey regulations i would take the 280( once again without the bumpers)

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

I have also owned both. I had told myself that I would ignore this thread since it's been done to death but I couldn't ignore the '280 had a lot more zip' comment. Must have been the cars you were driving. I own a 280 and it's in as good running condition as most basically stock ones you will find. But I also owned a 70 and a 72 in the past and as far as 'zip' goes I would take either of my former 240Zs over the 280. As far as ease of operation, however, I'll keep the 280. But, leave the bumpers alone, they are, as I have said before, part of what makes a 280 a 280. If you want a 240, buy a 240. Trying to create that 240 feel with a 280 will only leave you wishing you'd done that in the first place. Peace, out.
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-8401

maybe it was just my 240. I drove it before restoration but it was fine tuned. I did the same with my 280 before restoration. Maybe im just remembering wrong. Anyways my 280 isnt totally stock either, has quite a few mods to it so maybe thats wat caused it =)

Member ID
    CZCC-4910

Speaking of mods, I thought about the track Z's I've seen in Grassroots Motorsports and at SCCA events, and here's something I've found:

For a stock comparison, the 240z edges out the 280z because of its lighter weight, and better suited suspension.

Light modification: 280z. Suspension upgrades really help the 280z overcome it's soft suspension, and compensate for its heavier weight, while intake and exhaust allow the fuel injection L28 to work at its full potential with the stock cam.

Moderate modification / light race tune: 240z. New camshafts match the L24 well, and when coupled with race-tuned carbs and engine balancing, a 240z becomes very quick.

Heavy modification / full race tune: 280z. Thicker overall construction makes for a more stable racecar at very high speed and high G application. Better platform for very high horsepower. (just look at the BRE racing history)

I could be wrong about a bit of this, but it's just an interesting comparison I played around with.

Member ID
    CZCC-8401

I put a 240z exhaust on my 280 ( just straight pipes from the manifold back then a nice muffler) to get rid of the catylitic converter because it was a california car. Now since i did this did i get much of a HP increase? I know when you take off the cats ( or cat. in this case) it adds some but i was wondering how much. Sorry for the random response but mods were brought up. Anyways perhaps safety and emission regulations were the reason 240z's beat out the 280'z's totally stock? I think with mild modifications a 280 can become about the same weight as a 240, those damn bumpers have a few pounds on em heh. Ohh yah is it legal to remove them? or do you have to have some means of a bumper on a vehicle in massachusetts.

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

That's exactly I have been reluctant to get into this thread. A modified anything should be able to outpreform a stock car. I can strip everything out of my 280 that's not necessary, build the snot out of it and be as fast as a lot of things out there including most 240Zs. And the point would be? We're no longer talking about stock vs. stock and I'm no longer talking about this topic. Once again, peace, out! (this time for real)
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-4910

I'll be making a "test pipe" for my Z's exhaust when I get it put on. Not legal, but totally acceptable in my opinion, hehe.

BTW, here's the thread we should have continued:
    240z vs 280z

Member ID
    CZCC-5121

Quote Originally Posted by hls30.com
    Mass and geomerty-240 had lower mass, 280 had better geometry!
    I would like to know why the 280 has more suspension travel than the 240. I know that the rear strut housings are 1" taller on the 280 vs the 240, but I thought the fronts were exactly the same length. I was also under the impression that the stroke was the same on all of the Z struts, front or rear. Same stroke = same amount of travel unless there is something that I'm missing.

Geometry is slightly different in that the 280 has a higher cg and higher rear roll center as far as I can tell. Above and beyond that I see no major difference in geometry, and I'd prefer the 240's geometry if it was to remain stock.

Sway bars are easy to install on a 240 or a 280, FWIW.

Member ID
    CZCC-7611

The light weight of the 240 is the selling point for me and because, I know I am not supposed to say it, it is the original. The feel of the lighter wieght is awesome. I have done some modifications to the car, but if I did the same suspension work and got the same power to weight ratio in a 280 as my 240 and used the same tires the 240 would win in an autox (autoxing is the reason I drive a Z) due to the weight difference. Lighter weight cars handel better and feel better.
    Did I hit that cone?
    1/71 series II 240z, 920 gold (AKA baby poo yellow, but I love it anyway)
    Christopher Gray

Member ID
    CZCC-7457

I have a 260, which combines a little of both (but mainly the 240 with a stroked engine). The Z car is all about weight. Not power. If it was power Nissan would have stuffed some oversized V-8 it and called it a muscle car (okay, Nissan probably wouldn't go with an 8 cylinder, bu let it run). In my eyes, the Z was all about handling. It isn't going to win any straight-line drag races against cars of the similar era, but in the twisties it will run circles around, say a '73 Camaro. Those things used arcaric suspension and soft steering. The Z is what I like to call "pure". Just driver, engine and road.
    But the 280 is a great machine as well, that goes without saying. It's more refined, not as raw. And it's much better for a daily driver because of the fuel injection which makes it more reliable and gets it better fuel mileage (although a set of well-tuned SU's aren't too shabby in the MPG, espically when you have only 2.4 liters). The 280 is slightly bulkier, and I think doesn't have the same lines and body as the earlier Zeds.
    I think the best of both worlds is an L28 in a 240. The L28 weights much more than the stock L24, but the 240 has a more nimble chassis. Needless to say, this is a debate that will never be solved.

Dave
    1974 Datsun 260z manual: garage queen

Member ID
    CZCC-1243

Quote Originally Posted by zman525
    I put a 240z exhaust on my 280 ( just straight pipes from the manifold back then a nice muffler) to get rid of the catylitic converter because it was a california car. Now since i did this did i get much of a HP increase? I know when you take off the cats ( or cat. in this case) it adds some but i was wondering how much.
    I have heard the catalytic converter doesn't really restrict that much. But I guess on an older car when they were first being used it may be different. Anyhow, it's illegal to get rid of your cat, if your car came with it.

Member ID
    CZCC-8401

oops......

Member ID
    CZCC-8401

any way of uhh... gettin away with that in massachusetts?

Member ID
    CZCC-7611

Quote Originally Posted by chickenwafer
    But the 280 is a great machine as well, that goes without saying. It's more refined, not as raw. And it's much better for a daily driver because of the fuel injection which makes it more reliable and gets it better fuel mileage (although a set of well-tuned SU's aren't too shabby in the MPG, espically when you have only 2.4 liters).
    Dave

I prefer the rawness of the 240 (to each their own). I do wear ear plugs on the free way though, at 80 the noise gets kinda loud. Around town the raw feel of the car is great. I have a much stiffer suspension and an L28 block so I guess it is not a "real" 240 but it does have the 240 feel only a faster one.

The SU's on my 240 are never touched. I got them from Ztherapy, put them on and tuned them and have not touched them since. I get nearly 30MPG at 75 (with an 83 ZX 5 speed and a 3.9 R 190) on the free way and about 20 in town. The intown milage can go down fast though if I "drive" the car. Even though the SU's are not as frugal as fuel injection the light weight of the car counter acts that in the world of fuel economy. I think the diference in the 4 speed and 5 speed transmissions in the 240 and 280 make more of a difference in milage than the type of fuel delivery. When I had the 4 speed in the car (3.54 diff, low gearing) the milage was terrible on the free way.
    Did I hit that cone?
    Christopher Gray

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Quote Originally Posted by jmortensen
    I would like to know why the 280 has more suspension travel than the 240. I know that the rear strut housings are 1" taller on the 280 vs the 240, but I thought the fronts were exactly the same length. I was also under the impression that the stroke was the same on all of the Z struts, front or rear. Same stroke = same amount of travel unless there is something that I'm missing.

Geometry is slightly different in that the 280 has a higher cg and higher rear roll center as far as I can tell. Above and beyond that I see no major difference in geometry, and I'd prefer the 240's geometry if it was to remain stock.

Sway bars are easy to install on a 240 or a 280, FWIW.
    What you have not taken into consideration is that the shock in a 240Z is a) shorter than that in a 280Z, and b) not mounted within the strut to maximize its available rebound, both of which lower its travel.
    It is true that the sway bars are easy to mount it is also true that the 240Z came from Datsun with only one, while the 280Z, and a few 260Zs came with 2.
    Don't forget 50 lbs added at the far ends of the 280Z also adds a good bit to its turning moment of inertia, and then there is all of the other added mass-no wonder the COG moved up and the performance went down!

I have owned bone stock versions of both 240Zs and 280Zs, and when tuned equally, the 240Z leaves the 280Z every time, but the 280Z starts every time, runs exactly the same every time, and is less persnickety when the weather changes-not that the 240 is horrendous by any means.
    regardless of the state of tune, weaving through traffic, cones, or a dotted line on a deserted highway is much more fun in a 240! The 240Z is simply more responsive-just shy of a street legal go-cart.
    Will

Age really means nothing! agemeansnothing's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-8820

Smile

2222222228888888880000000000. Fuel injection all the way I don't like the 240's because everyone has one. Can someone tell me if this is good. I found out that the head on my 280z is a N42??????

Member ID
    CZCC-4910

It'll say N42 on the passengers side of the head stamped into the metal.

280z's certainly LOOK a little more muscular than 240z's. For some reason, they almost appear wider even though the track is the same. It's also true that when it comes to enthusiasts, more people go for the 240z than the 280z, which means there;s WAY more spare parts for 280z's in the average junkyard.

Member ID
    CZCC-5121

Quote Originally Posted by hls30.com
    What you have not taken into consideration is that the shock in a 240Z is a) shorter than that in a 280Z, and b) not mounted within the strut to maximize its available rebound, both of which lower its travel.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think so. The 240Z front strut is the same length as the 280Z front strut, of this I am 99% sure. I know the 240 and 280ZX front struts are the same length.

The rear is a little tricky. If you buy an aftermarket 240Z strut like a Tokico Illumina for instance, you get a 240 front strut with a 2" spacer on the bottom. My understanding is that the 280 strut is a 240 front strut with a 3 inch spacer on the bottom. I don't have a 280, but I've read that quite a few times on threads where people are trying to figure out how much to section their strut housings.

Your comment about the spring perch being mounted differently also doesn't make sense to me. I know Nissan raised the spring perch on the 280, but I assumed that they moved it up 1" to fit the new taller strut. Otherwise the spring would have to be shorter, or else it would just be that much more preloaded than a 240 spring. I thought they were the same length.

Just did a little checking and I came up with spring lengths for 240s and 280s. Looks like the 240 had a free spring length of 15.19" and the 280 has a free spring length of 15.43". So there is a .24" difference in the length of the springs. The springs are not the same rate, but the 280 is heavier. So again, either the springs on the 280 are preloaded a whole bunch more, or else the spring is basically in the same position as the 240, just 1" higher on the strut.

Again, all of this is contingent upon the struts have the same stroke, which I believe they do. If that is true, then the rest of it is pretty clearly going to be similar. The reason the 280 sits higher than the 240 is the bigger insulators on top of the struts, and because of the 1" taller strut in the back and the relate 1" raise of the spring perch.

I tried to look up stock spring specs to see if I could find out how much preload they have on them, wasn't able to find it. If we had the spring rates, we could figure out the rate to weight ratio and see what kind of a difference there is there, I would venture a guess to say they're pretty similar in this respect as well.

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

Quote Originally Posted by agemeansnothing
    2222222228888888880000000000. Fuel injection all the way I don't like the 240's because everyone has one. Can someone tell me if this is good. I found out that the head on my 280z is a N42??????
    The only 240z i every seen around here is parked in my yard...

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Quote Originally Posted by jmortensen
    I could be wrong, but I don't think so. The 240Z front strut is the same length as the 280Z front strut, of this I am 99% sure. I know the 240 and 280ZX front struts are the same length.

The rear is a little tricky. If you buy an aftermarket 240Z strut like a Tokico Illumina for instance, you get a 240 front strut with a 2" spacer on the bottom. My understanding is that the 280 strut is a 240 front strut with a 3 inch spacer on the bottom. I don't have a 280, but I've read that quite a few times on threads where people are trying to figure out how much to section their strut housings.

Your comment about the spring perch being mounted differently also doesn't make sense to me. I know Nissan raised the spring perch on the 280, but I assumed that they moved it up 1" to fit the new taller strut. Otherwise the spring would have to be shorter, or else it would just be that much more preloaded than a 240 spring. I thought they were the same length.

Just did a little checking and I came up with spring lengths for 240s and 280s. Looks like the 240 had a free spring length of 15.19" and the 280 has a free spring length of 15.43". So there is a .24" difference in the length of the springs. The springs are not the same rate, but the 280 is heavier. So again, either the springs on the 280 are preloaded a whole bunch more, or else the spring is basically in the same position as the 240, just 1" higher on the strut.

Again, all of this is contingent upon the struts have the same stroke, which I believe they do. If that is true, then the rest of it is pretty clearly going to be similar. The reason the 280 sits higher than the 240 is the bigger insulators on top of the struts, and because of the 1" taller strut in the back and the relate 1" raise of the spring perch.

I tried to look up stock spring specs to see if I could find out how much preload they have on them, wasn't able to find it. If we had the spring rates, we could figure out the rate to weight ratio and see what kind of a difference there is there, I would venture a guess to say they're pretty similar in this respect as well.
    There are pictures in the archives here comparing both struts side by side, while you said the strust are the same length, what I said was the 240 has shorter front shocks.
    If you take a 240Z front strut apart, and hold the shock beside its mounting lpocation, you will find the shock is not in a position to allow full travel-that is a shortcoming with the geometry of a 240z front suspension. Many people section the strut(shorten it) about 2", and use MR2 of VW Rabbit shocks-that allows the front suspension to have greater travel.
    Will

Member ID
    CZCC-5121

OK let me change my wording. I believe the 240Z and 280Z have the same length shock and the same length strut housing in front. They also have the same length spring within .25" so I don't think the amount of travel is significantly different between the two in the front. I looked through the album archives and I could not find a side by side comparison of the two. I know the 280 has larger strut tubes (OD and ID) and that the rear struts are taller, but the front are the same IIRC.

I don't get your point about "holding the shock beside its mounting location." The strut extends all the way when the suspension is out of the car, right? I mean the spring is still compressed a bit, but it can't extend any further because the strut insert is topped out. So it physically can't extend any further. And I know you can bottom the front struts from personal experience. So where is this shortcoming in the travel again? I'm sorry to perseverate on this, but I still just don't understand what you perceive the difference to be.

People section struts because the Z has a limited amount of travel (about 5" at the strut itself) and when you lower a Z more than about 2" you lose enough of the available bump travel that it becomes a problem. The 280Z is identically affected by this problem in front since the inserts and the strut housings are the same length. Maybe you are saying that the 240Z sags more than a 280Z, meaning that the strut with the weight of the vehicle on it sits in a position that is further through the travel when just sitting at rest. I don't think this is correct though. If you have observed this personally, my guess is that what you really saw was a 240 with worn out springs.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I posted the very picture I am referenced, but now I can't find it either.
    Over the next couple of weeks, I will get a 280 strut and put it next to my 240 strut, remove the shocks, and show you what I am talking about, I recently traded a set of 280 struts for 240 struts with another member here, and I saw the differences at that time. I still have the 240 struts, and the springs are not worn out.
    Will

Member ID
    CZCC-5121

Found one: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread...ut+differences

Looks to me like the strut tubes are the same height, but the spring perches are mounted differently, and the isolator hat is taller on the 280.

The guy says he swapped in the complete 280 strut and the front end of his 240 sat too high, so he swapped out the isolators and then it was lower. He wanted it lower than that so he bought 240 springs and strut inserts and put them in the 240 strut housing and it was lower still.

So it kind of helps with our argument but kind of doesn't. I think it is pretty clear though just from looking at the pictures that the struts are very close to the same length and the housings are very close to the same length. I would venture a guess to say that this guy didn't need to buy new struts, could have used the 280 struts in the 240 housings with no issues. The only thing left is the spring perches and spring rates. It's clear that switching to the Koni 240 springs lowered his car, but it's not clear to me why. In looking at the picture it appears that the 240 spring perch is welded higher on the strut tube, which makes me think softer springs and more sag is the reason the car was lowered.

Agree?

Member ID
    CZCC-4657

Oh for cryin out loud. ALL 1st gen Z's kick a$$. After reading through all these responses, I have to say that jmark has the best answer "Both are great cars. You won't be disappointed with either one." Amen to that.
    Jared (1977 280Z - SOLD )

"Any car can get you where you need to go. A special car gets you there with a smile on your face"

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I must appologize to Pennyman-seems that Jmortensen and I are trying to hijack a thread-Sorry!
    When I get the pictures, and the rest of my ducks in a row, I will start a new thread.
    WIll

Member ID
    CZCC-4910

That's perfectly alright. I realize I kinda made a mistake by bringing up this topic again, when it already had been covered in another thread.

I always wondered about marketing some sort of conversion kit to modify the front end of a 280z to turn it into a 240z-by-looks. You know, small bumpers, relocated turn signals, new tails, smaller front valence, etc. That way you'd shed weight AND be left with a "240z-looking" car with an L28 already installed!

Just a daydream i had...

Member ID
    CZCC-8016

240z!! The nostalgic feeling is what I want.. i dont own one, my bro had a 280z when i was a kid.. but I want the car with the most history..

And JDM 240zg is pure sexiness.. esp the one piece rear lights

but as far as "Buying a Z" in todays age.. 280z would be far cheaper and possibly alot of em are better condition, I see 280zs in teh junk yard with no rust.. the 240zs are another story.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

That's perfectly alright. I realize I kinda made a mistake by bringing up this topic again, when it already had been covered in another thread.

I always wondered about marketing some sort of conversion kit to modify the front end of a 280z to turn it into a 240z-by-looks. You know, small bumpers, relocated turn signals, new tails, smaller front valence, etc. That way you'd shed weight AND be left with a "240z-looking" car with an L28 already installed!

All you need is a 240Z parts car to pull the pieces from!
    Will

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

It would be easier to put the l28 in the 240...

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

of the Silver Shield Soc. dogma420's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3789

<<2222222228888888880000000000. Fuel injection all the way I don't like the 240's because everyone has one. Can someone tell me if this is good. I found out that the head on my 280z is a N42??????>>

???

Everyone has one? Like in who? If I ever do see an S30 out on the road, more than likely it's a 280z looking like it's near the end of its life.

So in NM if I went there, everyone drives 240z's....

Odd because they made so many more 280's....
    --Dave aka Dogma420 My Gallery
    Early '72 red 110 / white (10/71)
    HLS30 56895

Battle House!
    Member ID
    CZCC-8711

I would rather have the lighter car. Sure, everyone swaps out the motor, for either the L28 or some Chevy V8, but I love the good ol' L24. The serial numbers match on the body and the motor, and I'm very happy of that. 240Z started it all, its a gorgeous car, and it will never go out of style. Even though my 240Z looks like a retarded kid took a chainsaw to it, I know after I finish the body work and get it painted it'll be stellar. I wouldn't get that same feeling out of a 280Z, its just the bigger car, and I personally don't like that.

Member ID
    CZCC-8319

Smile

I'm gonna have to agree with my fellow Minnesotan Z-owner. First-gen Z's really are the beez-neez, regardless of specific model/installment.

Ideally, some day, I'd like to have both a 240 AND 280... with the former being my perfectly restored take-out-for-a-sunday-drive car, and the latter being my cool looking, modified daily driver.

I hate to state the obvious, but it really boils down to personal preferences and needs. There was hardly an afterthought to picking a 280 for me because at this stage in my life, I need a car that's not going to give me a ton of headaches, and having something with a carbuerator didn't seem like it quite fit the profile, so, fuel-injection is my path.

I think if we're really going to debate, we should debate about inter-generational things (like first-gen vs. second-gen) ... and we all know how that'll turn out... since the first generation PWNS... hands down... though... I have to admit, I'd like to find a 280ZX turbo some day... T-tops rule.
    Silver '76 280Z Daily-Driver - "Lindsey" -- HLS30286119
    The Miracle Car! -- Spared from disaster TWICE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfadog
    Z - 2
    Trees - 0!

Member ID
    CZCC-4910

Yeah, I've actually seen a few JDM-styled 280xz's and early 300zx's (like Kei Miyata's 200ZR, GOD!) that look really awesome.

Can't deny though, that the 280z has about 80lbs extra bling on each end thanks to U.S. safety regs!

Member ID
    CZCC-8820

All I am saying is what I think about the topic. If you go to all the junkyards all you find is 240's and 260's. Have you even ever been here Dogma 240?

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

Have you ever been here? They are all Zxs here

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-8820

I feel for you!

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

This all seems kind of strange to be at odds over. Obviously, since I notice that your'e talking about different parts of the country, the amount of S30's you would see would vary. I'm in So Cal and I see them on the roads quite often. I also see them in the junkyards. But I can't assume that the situation would be the same in New Mexico, Minnesota, Arkansas, Oregon, etc. Lots of nice examples of all of them exist out here. My 280 is in the midst of it's second life as are the majority of the Z's I see out here. But, that's out here. Each of you probably have the right assesment of the area you live in as far as S30's go.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-4910

If you go to all the junkyards all you find is 240's and 260's. Have you even ever been here Dogma 240? gre:

Out here in Norcal, I see probably 10 280z's for every 240z I see in a junkyard.

Not to mention the 280z's I see are sometimes in very good shape (sometimes even road-worthy), while the 240z I'll see will be in very bad shape.

Battle House!
    Member ID
    CZCC-8711

That's mainly because 240Z's are older and have taken years more abuse before a 280Z came out.

Member ID
    CZCC-7346

The only difference i see between the two visually is the bumpers and turn signals/taillights. Am i missing something? What else is different between them, besides drivetrain of course?

Member ID
    CZCC-3312

Texas is the same, junked out 280Zs are fairly plentiful in junkyards compared to 240Zs.

I see quite a few 280Zs on the street as well (relatively), but seeing another 240Z is quite a rarity
    -Andrew

03/72 240Z HLS30-70xxx - R.I.P. 2011/01/04

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

Jayru, age means nothing.....

It's been brought up a million times, I'm not going to write about it again...but a 240s is completely different than a 280z. It attracts a completely different car person.

Besides sharing basic look of external sheet metal, not much else is an exact match.

Emissions were basically non existent on 72 and older 240zs--more power.

Less wiring, no bumper weight, weight is a lot less, so they drive completely different. Having owned a 240z, a 260z, and a 280z I can definitely say the 240z is the funnest of all of them. Less complicated is how I view em, so that's why I have one. nothing complicated like fuel injection...if I am having any mechanical issues with my rig, I can pinpoint the problem real fast.

The 240z is essentially why this website even exists. The 280 people are along for the ride.
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-7611

Quote Originally Posted by dogma420
    The 240z is essentially why this website even exists. The 280 people are along for the ride.
    Well that aughta' stir up some arguments.
    Did I hit that cone?
    Christopher Gray

Member ID
    CZCC-1608

Quote Originally Posted by zguitar71
    Well that aughta' stir up some arguments.
    Oh yes....wait for it...wait for it................tick tick tick......

I for one like the 240z just because I like the look better. I'm spoilt with the lightest Series 1. It is just the business. Nothing against the 260z, 280 or FairladyZ L20E either, I just like the 240z best that is all.

In answer to the Dagma last statement...tick...tick...tick!
    Zed not Zee

HS30-00352 still being rebuilt (year 6)
    HS30-101370 chopped in half

CZCC #1608

Member ID
    CZCC-4657

"The 240z is essentially why this website even exists. The 280 people are along for the ride."

That has got to be one of the most stupid comments made on this site. The 280Z is a first generation Z just like your 240Z. Yeah, there are some differences but it is the same body style and is just as beautiful as a 240Z IMO. The 280Z (US) began in 1975 which was 30 years ago. but yeah, we're just along for the ride. RIIIIIIGHT whatever you say man. What color is the sky in your world????

"Any car can get you where you need to go. A special car gets you there with a smile on your face"

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by DatsunZsRule
    "The 240z is essentially why this website even exists. The 280 people are along for the ride."

That has got to be one of the most stupid comments made on this site.
    I knew that comment would draw some flak...

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

Here we go

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-4657

Hell, the last thing I want to do is get into an argument over a stupid comment. I enjoy BS'ing with all fellow Zers on this site but as a 1st gen. 280Z owner, I just couldn't sit and let that comment slide.

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

280Z is a 3rd gen Z

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Well, I hate to admit it but the first part of that statement is true. Does '240Z.org' ring a bell. But as far as being along for the ride, mabye those of you who really feel that way should have your own site. The 20 or so of you would have a great time discussing cloth braided radiator hoses, mirrors with the sun and star, and all that interesting stuff. But seriously, a lot of the 'purists' have left. Where's 2manyZs, or Zvoiture, or Frank13, or any of those 'Z-holier than thou' types. Good riddance! I really don't care what's discussed, with the possible exception of stuff like sound powered turbochargers with cold air boost or whatever that was but I have been made to feel, at times, like I don't belong here since I'd rather drive the version of the car that was the most advanced of the series rather that sinking my life savings into one that was the least advanced.
    (I don't really feel that way, I love all S30 as well as many other Datsuns, but that ought to bring things to a boil!)
    Last edited by sblake01; 08-31-2005 at 04:57 PM.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

I agree with you steph. I am a 240 owner but so what i Like all Zs.

The 280Zx is becoming a classic Z. Why not have a forum for them?

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Quote Originally Posted by Fun_in_my_z
    I agree with you steph. I am a 240 owner but so what i Like all Zs.

The 280Zx is becoming a classic Z. Why not have a forum for them?
    Why not here? Enough of their parts wind up in the S30's anyway.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

Mine included!

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-4657

"I agree with you steph. I am a 240 owner but so what i Like all Zs."

Thats always been my feeling. I like them all (240, 260, 280, 280ZX ect.) Nissan has never made an ugly, slow Z I.M.O.

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Haven't you ever seen a fully optioned, automatic trans, 280Z or ZX 2+2?
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

Lmao.......Hey i dont much care for the 2+2 but i would buy one if the price were right.

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-4657

Yes I have and still beats the hell out of some of the crap out there on the road today. I'd take it over a focus, neon RT, cavalier ect. Not to mention like our 2 seaters, there built to last.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Blasphoemers!
    the series one 240Z is the only true S30, everything else is on this earth just for fun!
    I have several 280ZXGLs and on saturday I will have a 280ZXT GL 2+2.
    I think of it more as transportatipon for my family to and from local Z events than classic.
    Any well kept (or intentioned) S30 is a classic, but 240Zs are the height of that status.
    DZR, thanks for not putting a Z in your second sentance, it does not belong in that company!
    Will

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

I've seen some nice ones. I'll bet that kid over in Australia that used to ride the moped does a nice job on his. He left the site for a while a finished school as a mechanic, I believe, but he was a regular here a while back learning all he could about Z's so he'd be ready when he got one.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Like I said in my earlier post, I was just playing with you guys. The ain't nothing better than a clean early 240. I've owned two of them in the past. But, I'm retired now. I don't want to work that hard anymore.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-4657

My point is defending the Z. Why would I list it in my second sentance???

Member ID
    CZCC-4910

It's interesting with regard to old S30 Z's, the older, the more coveted.

With something like the Jaguar E-type, the series one was absolutly NOT the most sought after.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

DZR: You wouldn't, and you didn't!!!

Will

Member ID
    CZCC-4657

Well of course I wouldn't man.

Member ID
    CZCC-4028

Quote Originally Posted by dogma420
    ..but a 240s is completely different than a 280z. It attracts a completely different car person.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wr ong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wron g,wrong,wrong, etc.

I own both now, and I have owned both in the past. My 240's are/were great. My 280's are/were also great. If I had to pick one as a daily driver again, I'd pick the 280z. Lose a little speed and agility, but keep the fun as well as a little more refined ride, the wonderful fuel injection, a bit more safety (more sheet metal), etc. Now I have both so I don't have to choose. The are both very similar, great versions of the same car. They are definately not "completely different". That's just silly. Move on to the 280ZX, and then I'll agree with you.
    Mark Brandyberry
    1970 240Z (11/69) HLS30 00215
    1978 280Z (05/78) HLS30 466356
    IZCC #802 & CZC#4028

Member ID
    CZCC-8820

I think I could have been a little harsh towards the 240z just that I like fuel injected but, still after now 81 posts there still great cars.

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

You must not have ever been stranded at 1 am becouse you clogged a injector...

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-8820

Guess not ...... that sucks.

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

You all know I was just stirring everyones brains like scrambled eggs on that 280 people are along for the ride...I mean c'mon...I owned one....just wanted to get flamed I guess is all. Bless all 280 owners, one and all.

All the 280z bumpers/shocks throw the earth's magnetism off a bit, don't ya think?
    Last edited by dogma420; 09-01-2005 at 09:31 PM.
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

dogma, I know you were just 'signifying' as my uncle used call it. I made a half-hearted attempt to give it back to you in one of my earlier posts here. As for the bumpers, well I've been tapped a couple of times at a stop light and I was glad I had a 280 instead of a 240 at that point.

Bill, a clogged injector won't strand you. The car will run like shi* but it will still get you home.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

Yeah i discovered that, It ended up being something in the timeing. But the injectors where cleaned out to...But now im missing a day of work becouse the cars in the shop and i cant get their!

Damn i was the Z was put backtogether

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

as far as the big bumpers, you know, honestly, all things being equal they look pretty good...the 2 different choices are cool (74.5-76 and the 77-78)...

When you compare the big bumpers on other cars done during the same period, the 260/280's big bumpers looked pretty good, IMO (see 74/75 Camaro)...

Just giving ya 280 owners a bad time, cause I can....

now I'll be back after I adjust my SUs.....
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-5121

It's interesting with regard to old S30 Z's, the older, the more coveted.

With something like the Jaguar E-type, the series one was absolutly NOT the most sought after.
    The Jag didn't come out just as smog and safety regulations made cars crappier and crappier. Not too many mid 70's cars that are highly sought after. 1970 had quite a few great cars. The difference was in the government intervention in the car biz. Leave it to the govt to screw **** up.

Member ID
    CZCC-4657

No, a clogged injector won't leave you stuck. Also if it's clogged, then it's usually the fault of the person behind the wheel with lack of maintenance. For example, motor not getting run for a long period of time, running sh!tty old gas, never changing fuel filter on schedule, ect.

Electronic Fuel Injection is not as difficult as some people think it is. Once you learn it, understand it, and have the proper tools/equipment, it's really not bad at all

Member ID
    CZCC-4910

I like FI, I just don't like how no one has come out with some performance ECU upgrade for the 280z. I guess it's because of the near-antiqueness of the system and it's simplicity.

Thread Information