Thread: Question on originality

Member ID
    CZCC-9737

Default Question on originality

Two questions on the originality of this car on ebay.

1. Where the air cleaners ever painted blue? I've seen this before, but didn't think it was accurate.
    2. The driver's door has a pull handle. I thought only the passenger side had this? Again, original equipment?

Thanks,

Bob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-...QQcmdZViewItem

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

1.) To the best of my knowledge, all 240Z air cleaners were orange.

2.) The only replacement door panels for the early cars that have been available lately were for RHD, and therefore have the holes for the pull handle. So the obvious answer is to install the handle to cover up the holes. Not original, but understandable.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-3738

In North America the air cleaner for the 1974 260z was light blue.

-Ben
    "A real sports car chooses its owner because it has a soul. If you're chosen, you'll love it, and the more it requires care and maintenance the more you love it." -Mr. Morita (Z432 owner)

RLS30-034436
    305 GP Light Blue

Member ID
    CZCC-1243

1) 260Z/280Z came with blue air filter housing, but not 240Z.
    2) Like Arne said. Interestingly, later 260Zs and 280Zs did get a pull handle on driver side, though it was a one-piece joined to the arm rest (not relevant to this car).

EDIT: Sorry Ben, you just beat me!
    Last edited by Alfadog; 06-18-2006 at 12:46 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

Either / either way it's a sensational looking Zed best of luck if you decide to bid.

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

I have seen blue air filters for the 240 Z model and have been told they were air filters sold as replacement parts rather than the air filter that came with the car.

The door pull handle on the left is the configuration for RHD. Currently, the only new interior door panels available (if they are any more) fit the RHD models only and come with the holes for the pull handle so the only thing to do is install a pull handle.

Nice car! The rear deck carpeting is incorrect and the luggage straps are missing. The shift boot is incorrect as well as the choke knob.
    Last edited by 26th-Z; 06-18-2006 at 05:15 AM.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-1492

I live about 20 minutes for this car maybe I will see if he will let me see it !!! How much do you think it will go for ????????????
    John 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-2033

Default Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by 26th-Z
    I have seen blue air filters for the 240 Z model and have been told they were air filters sold as replacement parts rather than the air filter that came with the car.
    This might help solve the puzzle of a 1970 that I flew to New York to inspect in 2002.

The car was European exotic car dealership in upstate NY. It was repainted the original butterscotch color, and with the exception of clear headlight covers and a set of Panasport wheels, looked to be original on the exterior. When the salesperson opened the hood I noticed the light blue air cleaner. It looked to be taken off a later model car, but it didnít have a flapper or provision for the aluminum heat collector that connects near the exhaust manifold. It might have been a year correct dealer replacement after all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	240Z#4.JPEG 
Views:	119 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	12848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car79img4.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	12849  

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

This car has undoubtedly received some very careful TLC, but there are a few nagging points which the seller has NOT mentioned.

Is that a dash cap?
    Sure seems odd that a 71 with Hatch Vents would have the indent for the Flasher Label, and that the "eyebrows" for the center instruments would NOT be crisp. These have a suspicious "rounded" edge to them. Then again the grain of the dash....?

In the picture showing the resonator, what is that crud on the differential? While we're at it, the picture showing the front radiator support, that's some suspicious looking Texas "mud" on the lower edge.

I presume that Chris is referencing the split rug in the rear as being incorrect due to it being split, since presumably a vehicle with the hatch vents would have had plastic lid tool boxes in front of the rear deck, but I think there has been at least ONE vehicle discussed on this site that has had that anomalie (i.e. deck tool boxes with hatch vents and IIRC, a side vent on one side only). In either case the missing luggage straps may have been an affectation of the owner when the car was refurbished.

But, all that being said, the car is a beautiful example of having been cared for and having been patiently refurbished. Personally, I'd love to see it going for over $25k....that increases ALL other car's value.

E

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Default $16K to $19K

add:
    Wrong Dash
    All the parts that should be Bright Yellow Cad plated - look to have been painted silver... uck
    Pin Striping on hood.. uck..
    we could go on and on....

Bottom line.... it's a very nice #3 car. Should sell for between $16K and $19K in Texas... a couple grand more back East...

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-9737

Quote Originally Posted by Alex 240Z
    I live about 20 minutes for this car maybe I will see if he will let me see it !!! How much do you think it will go for ????????????
    Hey, Alex if you do go see the car, give us an update!

Thanks,

Bob

Member ID
    CZCC-3591

Quote Originally Posted by EScanlon
    This car has undoubtedly received some very careful TLC, but there are a few nagging points which the seller has NOT mentioned.

Is that a dash cap?
    Sure seems odd that a 71 with Hatch Vents would have the indent for the Flasher Label, and that the "eyebrows" for the center instruments would NOT be crisp. These have a suspicious "rounded" edge to them. Then again the grain of the dash....?
    My late 70 (Nov 70) has the same features. Judging by the photos I would say that it does not have a cap on it. However, it is the wrong carpet, and choke handle. And the replacement shift boot would be what he has installed.
    Russell A. Buckwalter
    SFC US Army
    Aviation

She now lives on a showroom floor.....I WILL BUILD ANOTHER ONE

If Nissan Motorsports is NISMO, is Honda Motorsports HOMO?

Member ID
    CZCC-1492

I was looking at the wrong car !!! Sorry the car I was interested in was

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...QQcmdZViewItem
    John 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Oh my! That one is much worse, John. Incorrectness everywhere!
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-1492

Need some expert opinions on what to look for and what this car is really worth !!! I do own a 71 240Z but my dream is to own a series I 240Z I am going to call the owner today to set up an appointment to see it !!!
    John 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Alex, read every thread on this site before you look at another Z-you have chosen a scam! Do the all of the pictures show a restored car(missing/broken switch pull, a non-restored steeringwheel, stitched door panels, home made fuse box cover, overspray on the dash (and the cover over it) painted over hardware under the hood(strut bolts, cowl screws, almost everything on the carb side of the engine, Radiator was painted while installed)? Look closely at the pic of down the core support, looks like a wave or two at the union of the headlight bucket/fender/core support to me... Not to mention the missing VIN, Nissan NEVER released a Z with a factory sunroof, Power steering didn't come on a Z until 1979, and the wheels are from an early 300Z.
    This is a quick repaint on a highly questionable car, couple that with no pictures of the notorious areas, a 0 feedback seller with three other cars that are high dollar with very lacking ads, (with the '80 Mercedes coincidently having a high bidder with the same name that is on the paperwork pictured in the ad), !
    don't look, just run!!!!

Will
    Last edited by hls30.com; 06-19-2006 at 08:44 AM.
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-1492

Thanks for the heads up !!!! Sometimes in ones excitement we overlook the whats right in front of us !!!! My 1971 240Z is in much better shape !!!!
    John 240Z

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Never buy from a 0 feedback seller. Especially when pruchasing a car. This guy's been around for over two years and has never sold anything, at least under his present ID.
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Now THAT'S a dash that's had a cover applied....ever seen more bulbous "eyebrows"? Looks more like a boxer after a 15 round fight.

Hatch is wrong, no vents.

Interesting fuse area cover, I wonder what "oem" option THAT was?

Anyone know what those items are above the window crank handles?

Will said it best....."don't look, just run!!!!"

E

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Quote Originally Posted by EScanlon
    Anyone know what those items are above the window crank handles?

E

They are the NOS OEM Nissan factory tweeters that came with the factory sunroof/power steering bundle-says the seller!

Will
    Last edited by hls30.com; 06-19-2006 at 02:18 PM.
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Dang!!!!
    Boy, the rest of us really got the short end of the stick! Just think of all the "OEM"* options we missed out on! (* OEM here means Only Enhanced Memory....read that as "What have you been smoking?")

I wonder if the foot pedals had the ****zu "Magic-Finger" massage pads or if that was a later model....

While customizing and modifications all run the gamut from "Wow!" to "Yikes!", to claim them as OEM .... well that takes a LOT of chutzpah!

E

Thread Information