Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do people notice you in your classic Z on the road?

Member ID
    CZCC-5999

Default Do people notice you in your classic Z on the road?

This is a follow up to my post about seeing 240-Z's on the road.Many folks mentioned getting lots of attention from others on the road when their in their Z. Plus the oft quoted line in most ebay sales that "this car turns heads". I think it may depend on where you live. In the Spokane area, I rarely get any attention at all! Sometimes I even watch other drivers as they go by on the roads to see if they are looking. But that does not seem to be the case. This seems to be US made muscle car territory as far as enthusiasts go.
    When someone does wave or notice the car when Im getting gas, it really makes my day, but it has only happened a handful of times in the last few years. It does seem like more younger folks notice,.maybe because they have hardly ever seen a 240-Z before.

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

aOOH YEAH

First time an old lady walked up on her way into a store, smiled and said
    "NICE CAR!"

I smiled back with my shades on and felt HAPPY
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

ウイングゼロ 競争 GangLoadOParts.com

240Z Elec. Upgrade guy Zs-ondabrain's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Just ask Leah, I can't go ANYWHERE without getting Thumbs up, or the words "WOW, Nice ride dude, sweet Z man, or That's the best looking Z I've seen in years, Damn, ya don't see those very often and that ones NICE"

Must just be the area. I actually got a note on my car the other day, while parked at the local "Fred Meyers" grocery store. My back window says "It's a Z thing, You would'nt understand" and some lady wrote me a note that said....

" OH I totally understand the "Z" thing, I left my husband of 10 years after he wrecked my 72' Z" She said "that was the last straw" and she was either gonna leave him or KILL him. Easier to leave and not have to hide the body, I quess.

I can't go any where without compliments or nods, thumbs up, or little kids pointing and asking their parents what it is.

Dave.
    Rate my Z at Car Domain.com
    My 70' 240Z, Daily Driver

My Parking Light and Headlight Upgrade Harness's at MotorSport Auto
    HLH - PLH - SCP - ZXP's at MSA *They accept PayPal!!*
    Headlight Upgrade Harness info here at ClassicZCar Club
    HLH info at CZCC Do a search for info on the other upgrades I offer.

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by deadflo View Post
    ... It does seem like more younger folks notice,.maybe because they have hardly ever seen a 240-Z before.
    You can problely thank Gran Turismo video game for that.
    First thing I did when I bought my first car in that game on PS2
    (a Nissan Skyline Gts-t Type M J' 91), J meaning Japan model, was get a
    1998 Sonic Silver Metallic JDM 300ZX then imediately went looking for the old school
    1971 S30 Fairlady 240ZG which I won in a race and came as Grand Prix Moroon
    Last edited by WingZr0; 11-06-2007 at 09:21 AM.
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

Member ID
    CZCC-11544

Why dont the 300zx or 350z people ever notice my classic Z?

Member ID
    CZCC-14339

I have to drive my z on my days off because i get pulled over by local pd because they want to talk about the car. i don't mind really, just gives me a chance to show off my baby. it never fails when i get gas, or go to a grocery store someone always notices the z lol.

Member ID
    CZCC-15054

Here its saturated with 350z's i dont think most of them know about the S30. Also loads of ferraris, mercs, bentleys, porches and other high end exotics. People still notice the Z tho.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by justin260z View Post
    Why dont the 300zx or 350z people ever notice my classic Z?
    They don't wave or notice cause they either......

1) don't have a clue that the 240Z is the great grandfather of the Z and the car that started it all.

2) we're out of their league or vice versa.

3) they're too busy figuring out how all the bells and whistles work on their car to pay attension to the road.

I see alot of older folks driving the 350Z's and younger guys (younger than me - 36) in the 300ZX's

Every once in a while a get a nod from other non-S30 drivers. But funny enough is when I get good nods from Vette and Camaro drivers. Weird but true.

and of coarse the typical "REV" from a ricer now and then.

Dave.

Member ID
    CZCC-11544

I see. I get props from the muscle car guys every now and then. There are lots of them here in Elyria.

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dade280 View Post
    Here its saturated with 350z's i dont think most of them know about the S30. Also loads of ferraris, mercs, bentleys, porches and other high end exotics. People still notice the Z tho.
    OH Yeah, Miami, go figure
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

All three of my Datsuns get noticed when I drive them. I'll be washing the 810 and someone walking by will say 'nice car' or 'what year is that' (as if they have a clue what it is), or something along those lines. Someone invariably comments or waves when I'm driving the Z or getting gas. The truck, well you can't miss it. It's bright red, fairly clean, and unique in this world of mega trucks and suv's. Of the three, it's the most noticed. But then, this is Southern California. Year round driving of classics, special interest, muscle, etc. cars, lots of car stuff going on all the time so it doesn't surprise me.
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I get the usual "what year is that?" from guys in big trucks, and occasionally a 'nice car' while getting gas. A couple weeks ago, a guy with a bike doing the crosswalk gave me a thumbs up.

Sometimes, while at a cruise-in, a guy with his little kid will start telling him "It's a Z car" and stuff like that. One guy mistakenly told his kid "It's a 240ZX."
    thxZ
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 11-06-2007 at 10:35 AM.
    Drive Responsibly.
    enjoy classic Rock music.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Like my MGB before it, I get lots of comments about my red 240Z. Seems like 50% of the population over the age of 35 has a Z story - either they owned one, a family member owned one, or they know someone who owned one.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-9729

My Z does get alot of attention, but it is extremely rare around here and people usually do not know what it is. Frequently see people pointing at it as I pass by - occasionally feels a little too conspicuious.
    This morning when going through a Tim Horton's (coffee shop) drive through four young maids squeezed out to the take out window and one said in sweet tone "We love your car, Is that a Porche?" I was a little disappointed but hey - they did notice. I told her it was a Datsun (no lights) and explained it was thirty years old, she replied "thats so cool" (good enough for me).
    That's not uncommon - many times in parking lots as well.
    Last edited by Sailor Bob; 11-06-2007 at 10:43 AM.
    Cali 4/77
    NA 9/72
    FA 90 300TT
    C220 Mercedes 96 (DD)

Member ID
    CZCC-15205

Almost every time I go anywhere someone is always saying "that brings back memories" "Nice car" or "I haven't seen one of those in years".

Member ID
    CZCC-14692

Its a head turner alright.
    i'd say i get someone to give me the thumbs up or rubber neck the car at least once per drive.
    when i drove the car from FL to ontario I couldn't keep track of the # of people noticing the car.

Member ID
    CZCC-15054

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Like my MGB before it, I get lots of comments about my red 240Z. Seems like 50% of the population over the age of 35 has a Z story - either they owned one, a family member owned one, or they know someone who owned one.
    For some reason its full of MG's here. I must of seen at least 10 MG's. Yet only one S30.

Member ID
    CZCC-11908

Also loads of ferraris, mercs, bentleys, porches and other high end exotics.
    The community I live in is full of extremely rich (I mean stincking filthy rich-average home price $1.5 million) people who drive extremely nice cars. While I may glance at thier Porsche, Bentley, Jaguar, Masarati, or Rolls Royce, they are the ones staring at my car as I go around a corner or through the intersection.
    One guy pulled up next to me in his brand new Escalade at the grocery store just so he could say "That's a nice car."
    While the majority of "normal people" don't notice it (or care about it), it is nice to know that I have a car that even the richest of the rich envy or reminist about.

BTW, I am not one of the wealthy people. I happened to find one of the few affordable apartments around.
    David

Member ID
    CZCC-15054

Here its like a mix of wealthy and average people. Its kind of hard to explain if you dont live here because one street is average/below average area and 3 streets down is 2 million dollar houses. Usually the old hispanic people that recognize the power of the S30 down here.

Member ID
    CZCC-10667

People definately notice the Z when i drive it. I always get a thumbs up or a head nod. There aren't very many S30's around here (maybe 4 or 5 that I have seen), but there are a few ZX's and all of those guys appreciate the Z. The only thing I've noticed is a lot of people call it a 240Z or ZX. But without the bumpers I guess it could be mistaken for a 240.

Car Guy
    Member ID
    CZCC-12941

Sometimes I even watch other drivers as they go by on the roads to see if they are looking.
    Haha funny how that is, I do the samething some times!

I'd say 50% of the people that I pass or see give it a look or if I'm out washing it in the driveway or something, they might ask about it. Now that it's painted and stands out more, I've noticed it getting more attention than when it was when primer.

I've too also found that none of the 350z drivers pay any close attention or give a wave. I'm always curious to see if they do, but as far as they know, they probably don't even know what it is!

Member ID
    CZCC-15158

I get alot of people in cleveland that give me thumbs up or ask if I am going to sell my 280z. 350z drivers never pay attention to me though.

Member ID
    CZCC-13117

You can hear my car looooooong before you see it. Most of the time, people's expressions read something like, "Where the heck is that airplane going to......oh."

1971 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-30806
    Asheville, North Carolina
    IZCC #14802

Member ID
    CZCC-3035

Quote Originally Posted by WingZr0 View Post
    aOOH YEAH

First time an old lady walked up on her way into a store, smiled and said
    "NICE CAR!"

I smiled back with my shades on and felt HAPPY
    Let's see.. Old lady, that make her about what, 45?
    (I read your profile to check your age...)

One of my sons tells me that all of his friends have gone out of their way to tell him what a strange/weird/ugly shade of green my car is painted. So it got their attention...

My oldest daughter still hates the car because her first several boyfriends were, from time to time, as interested in it as they were in her...

Before I put the badges back on the car people used to tailgate me through town trying to figure out: "What is that thing?"

Some guy in a BMW Z4 chased me for over a mile to get close enough to read the badges, then turned another way. Apparently a Datsun was unworthy to be seen following...

So yes, it gets some attention. Not as much drooling as an old Mopar or other muscle car gets, but it attracts attention.
    '71 240Z, Because any fool can drive fast in a straight line.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Walt-

I'll bet your color is easily seen in traffic, huh? What's so bad about that?
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-6449

as rough as mine is right now,(driver's mirror busted off,bad paint and such) i even got a nice car comment while filling up and a i haven't seen one of those in years. i said thanks, and this one will be 34 next February.
    '74 260 2 + 2 trying to get it together
    '69 2000 roadster
    '00 Maxima SE for the wife
    '93 300ZX convertible - daughter's car
    '02 Sentra SER-4 -son's car
    '10 Frontier, my work truck
    '88 300ZX SS, my ex
    '79 280ZX my first one, sold after getting married

Member ID
    CZCC-8920

Both my Z's and MGB get attention (except from 350Z's!) around here. Just Sunday had the yellow Z out and was shopping with the wife and as we parked, some guy walked over and starting checking out the car. We ended up chatting for about 15 minutes until his daughter came over to get him, he had owned a 240Z before and had the usual nostalga thing. The week before, was at a drive thru with the lime Z and the young girl there said she loved the car, and asked about it.
    Doug

'73 240Z (HLS30-126840)(10/72) Yellow (64XXX original miles)
    '66 MGB (GHN3L108501)(12/14/66) BRG
    '10 BMW E93 Silver

Member ID
    CZCC-14525

Quote Originally Posted by bandoni View Post
    I have to drive my z on my days off because i get pulled over by local pd because they want to talk about the car. i don't mind really, just gives me a chance to show off my baby. it never fails when i get gas, or go to a grocery store someone always notices the z lol.
    That's happened to you too????? That's awesome. I got pulled over a few days after I got the car with no plates and all he wanted to know was "what kind of car is that?"

It seems like everytime I take the car out, some one notices. Sometimes they're young kids, sometime they're older people who remember the car. Being that rust thrives up here in nw Indiana, there aren't many classic Z's left. So people get excited to see them. It seems the car is well recieved by everyone. The only semi-negative thing someone has ever said was "Little-miss-trying-to-be-a-Porche" And I told him I got rid of two of those cars for a reason.
    Nothing compares to the beauty of the world as seen through the windshield of my Z

Currently own:

HLS30279316: 1976 Datsun 280z Kharma
    2001 Dodge Neon: Nitro

Member ID
    CZCC-10133

Well, with a '66 E-type parked right next to my 240Z, it doesn't even get noticed in my own HOUSE let alone around the neigborhood.

Like ZBane, I live in an upscale community - a few Ferraris, some old 'Vettes, oodles of AMG Mercs, etc. If I pull the Jag out, the crowds literally flock. If I pull out the Z, I may get a look, that's it.

Doesn't matter much to me, I love the car no matter what!
    '72 240Z HLS30-73667 (sold)
    '66 Jaguar XKE FHC, numbers matching
    '67 Honda CL77 305 Scrambler, 8,000 original miles

Member ID
    CZCC-14988

Default None in Mass

Since I just bought mine, and haven't driven it yet, I don't know how people on the street will react. But I can tell you, I never, I mean never, see any S30 Z's around here. I drive alot for work, all around Boston, RI, CT and I bet I haven't seen an S30 on the road in 10 years. Not too many of them survive the New England winters. Fortunately, mine was a garaged, nice-weather only car, and survived just fine.

I did get comments from 2 different drivers when I trailered the car home. The ride was about an hour, in bumper-to-bumper Boston commuter traffic, and a older guy in a semi asked if it was for sale, and a young guy in a VW asked what it was, he'd never seen one before.

And every friend around my age (38) who comes into my garage, can't believe their eyes.

No doubt, these cars turn heads, even standing still.
    Paul Martin
    1973 240Z HLS30-127623 (10/72)
    4.11 R-180, 79 ZX 5-speed, ZX Distributor, ZTherapy SU's

Member ID
    CZCC-11946

I get comments while gassing up - "I love the lines of the older sports cars. All of the newer ones all look alike."

But while driving around here (Houston) no one seems to take note. Probably because they're busy watching the other three lanes of traffic, eating fast food and talking on the phone all at the same time!

And don't even get me started on (most of) the 350z drivers. I've tried waving to them and they look at me like I've just run over their Yorkshire Terrier.
    Last edited by twsutt; 11-07-2007 at 02:52 PM.
    Terence W. Sutton
    1975 DATSUN 280Z
    2001 Volvo S60 (Wife's daily driver)
    2002 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed (My daily driver)

Z Club of Houston Member

Member ID
    CZCC-14525

Quote Originally Posted by rdefabri View Post
    Well, with a '66 E-type parked right next to my 240Z, it doesn't even get noticed in my own HOUSE let alone around the neigborhood.
    Like ZBane, I live in an upscale community - a few Ferraris, some old 'Vettes, oodles of AMG Mercs, etc. If I pull the Jag out, the crowds literally flock. If I pull out the Z, I may get a look, that's it.

Oh the E-Type. I met a brown one once and fell in love!!! That's almost what happens when the Delorean comes out. She draws a crowd almost instantly. But still, I get almost as much attention in the Z. However, we live in a small town about an hour south of Chicago with a population that isn't exactly rich. So when people see something other than a Dodge Neon, it makes them happy.
    Nothing compares to the beauty of the world as seen through the windshield of my Z

Currently own:

Member ID
    CZCC-14161

same here

Member ID
    CZCC-14161

mine only has 7,909 miles.
    1/500 made

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Quote Originally Posted by 280zx10 View Post
    mine only has 7,909 miles.
    1/500 made
    Yeah, the one with the magic odometer

Posted by you on 07-19-2007, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 280zx10
    i agree
    but this one is still in pretty good shape.
    8,817 miles.
    GO AWAY!!!!!!
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-14161

km or miles?

Member ID
    CZCC-14161

most of them wouldn't want to pay the price for a really nice classic z car though.
    they sure are a lot of fun to drive and are very fuel efficient too!

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

km or miles?
    Those would be miles, according to you as you stated on 08-06-2007, 07:56 PM:
    9000 miles
    So, how did it go from 9000 miles August 6 to 7909 miles on November 8? Did you use a flux capacitor?
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Quote Originally Posted by 280zx10 View Post
    most of them wouldn't want to pay the price for a really nice classic z car though.
    they sure are a lot of fun to drive and are very fuel efficient too!
    There's a lot of truth to what you say. I've watched all of your eBay non sales over the last few months and no one seems to want to pay the price for yours. Okay guys, I'm done. He's back on my ignore list. I just thought I'd take a look at his post and see what he could posssibly have had to say since the last go round of rolling mileage updates. And I do mean rolling! Rock on, 280zx10!
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-14161

datsun saves!
    Last edited by 280zx10; 11-08-2007 at 10:48 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-14161

sorry about the rolling posts
    i didn't realize you were the moderator too, sorry blakey!
    now i know why you were always on here, i apologize for everything!
    Last edited by 280zx10; 11-08-2007 at 10:49 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-14988

We've got a couple guys like 280ZX10 on my softball league website. Snipers...sitting back throwing in the 2 cents, just to stir the pot. Seems like a lonely existence.
    Paul Martin
    1973 240Z HLS30-127623 (10/72)
    4.11 R-180, 79 ZX 5-speed, ZX Distributor, ZTherapy SU's

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

It's okay. Like I said, he's back on my ignore list so I can't see nor do I really care what his answer(s) are.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-14525

Quote Originally Posted by sblake01 View Post
    Those would be miles, according to you as you stated on 08-06-2007, 07:56 PM:
    So, how did it go from 9000 miles August 6 to 7909 miles on November 8? Did you use a flux capacitor?
    My flux capacitor must be broken...

Currently own:

Member ID
    CZCC-14339

Quote Originally Posted by Darbji280z View Post
    That's happened to you too????? That's awesome. I got pulled over a few days after I got the car with no plates and all he wanted to know was "what kind of car is that?"

It seems like everytime I take the car out, some one notices. Sometimes they're young kids, sometime they're older people who remember the car. Being that rust thrives up here in nw Indiana, there aren't many classic Z's left. So people get excited to see them. It seems the car is well recieved by everyone. The only semi-negative thing someone has ever said was "Little-miss-trying-to-be-a-Porche" And I told him I got rid of two of those cars for a reason.
    glad i am not the only one. I bought my z from a local in town so it's not like they haven't seen it in town before. It still doesn't stop them, oh well it must be that blue color that attracts them

sorry i havent taken any real good pics of my Z yet

blue 78 datsun 280Z

Member ID
    CZCC-14878

I live in San Diego, Calif. In my neighborhood I am known as "the Z family". In the last 6 years my husband and I have owned 7 Z's. 3 for parts and 4 forr the road. The '73 240 screamed. Previous owned had a "cherrybomb" on the end of the tail-pipe. Over 100 decibles. The guy next door hated it. Sold it. My '74 260 was my workhorse. That car would drive me to hell & back. 280 head, 280 block, 240 SU's( the good ones) and all the power I would ever need. Sold her.
    Now the '77 I am selling has more power than I can use. She is like right off the showroom floor. A little over 47,000 original miles. She is what we call a "low flyer". 135 so far(up hill and picking up speed).
    And last but not least my '75 280 Z is my beauty. I named her "Car-Car".
    She is the best of them all even with the Toyota Gray paint. I can take her into a 45 m.p.h. turn at 100 + and she won't budge or squeal. She hugs the turns just like I hug my pillows! !!!
    She always turns heads.

Stacey Pike- Cornish
    "Drive Fast- Take Chances"
    San Diego, Calif

Member ID
    CZCC-14082

Quote Originally Posted by BRE-240Z View Post
    You can hear my car looooooong before you see it. Most of the time, people's expressions read something like, "Where the heck is that airplane going to......oh."
    Since I got the car out of the shop last week, complete with the new pipes, I know what you mean. The sound gets them first. Now, with my shiny new paint the car gets noticed a LOT. Before, with the drab, faded silver paint & stock exhaust, I got about as much notice as I did driving the Corolla...

I have got compliments almost every day since I got the car out, be it a simple thumbs up (several), or getting chased down and gawked at by the ricer boyz in their Civic (Weds.), or having a MILF in the a brand new Mustang GT roll up and tell me how nice my car looked and how she had a '78 herself (yesterday).

Life is good ;-)

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I better get ( another) new exhaust!

I can barely hear mine inside the car, and not at all with the window up and the radio on. I gotta look at the tacho, and pop the throttle, to see if the engine is on. I'm not sure that with the exhaust so quiet, I won't be allowed to go on any car cruises with the musclecar people.
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 11-10-2007 at 04:07 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-14161

yeah, so are you!

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Quote Originally Posted by TomoHawk View Post
    I better get ( another) new exhaust!

I can barely hear mine inside the car, and not at all with the window up and the radio on. I gotta look at the tacho, and pop the throttle, to see if the engine is on. I'm not sure that with the exhaust so quiet, I won't be allowed to go on any car cruises with the musclecar people.
    HaHa!!...Reading this reminded me of when I was 16 years old. My dad gave me the money to put a new exhaust system on my '52 Ford. It was too quiet for me so the next day I put an ice pick to good use. Dad wasn't impressed to say the least.

Car Guy
    Member ID
    CZCC-12941

Today I passed a really nice fixed up '77-'78 280. Unfortunately I wasn't in mine as I could have given a wave, but I did give it good look!

Member ID
    CZCC-13827

I had my car out every weekend this summer here in Pittsburgh, I did not see a single old Z. I did see a couple 350Z's but they did not seemed to notice at all and most of the other drivers of classic cars don't notice either. It's sad that here there are not many Z or even people that appreciate the car.
    Michael 11/75 - 76-280 - HLS30-281,114
    Web site -Click Here and ORIGINAL OWNERS OF THE 280Z (1975-1976 -1977 - 1978 - ONLY) REGISTRATION[

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Dude-

If you want the musclecar people to notice you, you'll need a 27-inch chromed air filter sticking out of the bonnet! At "classic car" shows, the guy with the biggest air cleaner wins!

That's why all the hoods are up like that.

thxZ
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-15054

Why does no one in a 350z recognize S30's.

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Why does no one in a 2007-08 Mustang recognize S30s? Same reason, completely different cars with no connection to each other. The companies that made them used different names (even though we all know Nissan and Datsun are the same company). Datsun 280Z-Nissan 350Z. Datsun 280Z-Ford Mustang. Other than the Z in the name (which should be Nissan 350ZX), there's no connection.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

So wWhy does no one in a 350z recognize S30's?
    Because S30s look like and are REAL sportscars and not squatting frogs!!
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 11-11-2007 at 09:18 AM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Personally, I don't hate the 350Z or resort to calling it names, it's just a different car than an S30. Period. And that was my point. It might has well have been made by some other company. There's nothing to compare.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-15054

The Z name is the connection. You dont have to like the 350z but there is a connection to s30's. After all it is a Z.
    I dont expect some guy in a mustang to recognize my car but i expect him to recognize an older mustang.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

IMO, the newer Mustangs resemble the older ones. The 250Z doesn't have anything in common with an S30 except the letter Z.
    Drive Responsibly.

Bitten by the Z bug hard bigoak's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-8037

The 250Z doesn't have anything in common with anything...
    Bigoak

'71 240Z
    '77 280Z
    '87 300ZX

Member ID
    CZCC-14925

Heads turn, smiles evolve, jealousy shows it's green hue, people notice! Could be we're in the Bay Area, could be 'cause I'm beaming with humungous smiles since Hubby chipped off the tar mat and found no rust on our '71 240Z, could be that it just sounds hell-o-good! 'course it could be just because it ROARS when you run her and she can tell it like it i!

A Classic Z just can't go unnoticed! It just can't doesn't make sense!
    Love the Z
    Ours is a 1971 240z with a 260z engine for sale (California native) VIN HLS3028499 Asta

Car Guy
    Member ID
    CZCC-12941

Quote Originally Posted by TomoHawk View Post
    IMO, the newer Mustangs resemble the older ones. The 250Z doesn't have anything in common with an S30 except the letter Z.
    Ford wanted to take the styling cues from some of the pervious gerneration Mustangs of different years, ie the dash, front and rear tailights and a lot of the lines are the same. Nissan didn't seem to make as much as an effort to do this with the 350, other than the dash in my opinion resembles an s30somewhat with the three gauges in the center. Let's just be glad Nissan didn't do what Dodge did to the with new Charger!

Member ID
    CZCC-9729

What is a 250Z?
    I was not a fan of the 350Z - I thought of it as a clone of some other cars on the market, "but" the more I look at them recognizing their tunability, current cashe and when I disassociate with the actual Z the more I like them.
    If only I could fit in a one.
    Cali 4/77
    NA 9/72
    FA 90 300TT
    C220 Mercedes 96 (DD)

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

IMO, a 350Z looks like an attempt to make a street car that resembles a car used on the LeMans circuit, with the curved-down front & back. The only thing it dopesn't have is the long nose with the radiator cooling tunnels, and a huge wing.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-11544

Did Mr. K have any input in the design of the 350z?

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

The Z name is the connection. You dont have to like the 350z but there is a connection to s30's. After all it is a Z.
    I dont expect some guy in a mustang to recognize my car but i expect him to recognize an older mustang.
    Well, that wasn't really my point. The 350 Z is about as different from an S30 as a Mustang is. The Z name is only a connection in marketing terms. I really don't expect any recognition from either the Mustang driver or the 350Z driver.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-15588

Here's the deal , it's all about attitude ,and these car's are all that ! they are absolute magnets and no one can resist the draw when there is one parked\driving anywhere ! I feel proud to pull up beside a high end car and watch someone look over to check out my ride , and it feels even better to know that I don't have to pay outrageous moneys to have my car repaired\tuned or otherwise .Long live the Z
    See ya fellow magnets
    Chris
    BTW , I know of only a couple of other early Z's in my community so we do tend to stick out !
    71-z , great for me , awesome for the parts store , hey I'm helping the local economy !

Member ID
    CZCC-14932

I remember reading years ago that Nissan was coming out with a new Z. At the time I read that they were going to take styling cues from the original Z and go back to the roots of the car, a fast, inexpensive, lightweight 2 seater. I eagerly awaited its arrival and have to admit, I was sadly dissapointed. I had seen some early mockups and artist renditions and the final car was nothing like them. It seems besides the 2 seats, 3 gauges in the center of the dash they got lost along the way.
    I have only had my car out on the road 3 times since getting it in September (I finally got the title last week from the P.O.), I have had a few people look at it at traffic lights and thats about it.
    I have only seen 2 others on the road in the past year, so it does tend to stick out.
    1977 280Z
    I'm great at taking my Z apart, putting it back together has been a whole different story.

Member ID
    CZCC-14525

Well, the 350Z's (as well as the newest altima) kinda have the s30 hips. Not quite as bold, but I can see it. I hate to admit it.

I do like the 350Z's. I like everything that has a Z attatched to it, though. Since it'll be a cold day in hell before I see another s30 in my neighborhood, I'll take what I can get. Plus, those other Z guys get so excited when an s30 shows up.

Currently own:

Car Guy
    Member ID
    CZCC-12941

I passed a 240 two days ago. I flashed my lights but he wasn't paying attention as he was on is cell phone. I it would have taken me flashing my lights, honking the horn and giving hand motions out the window to get his attention.

Member ID
    CZCC-11908

Just the other day I was driving along and saw another red 280zx driving my way! It was a lovely day so the window was down, I waved and he waved back.
    I've had the zx for a couple years now, and this is just the 3rd one I've seen in town...and the first to acknowledge mine.
    David

Member ID
    CZCC-14252

Theres a couple of 300z's around here and they always wave. Other than that i really dont get much attention other than some people that come up and say how much of a classic it is.

early 260z RLS30 030417 mars23z's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-9330

I get noticed in my car a lot. I usally roll with 2 911's and a 944 so that helps to . but I get a lot a compliments and this spring when I install my twice pipes I will FORCE THEM TO NOTICE ME.

Member ID
    CZCC-4167

2 young lads walked by my 72 and said " Datsun........ what the hell is a Datsun ?"

Member ID
    CZCC-15469

got a thumbs up yesterday from a passing bimmer.
    ***PREVIOUSLY OWNED***
    1970 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-01704
    71,000 Original Miles

- Jon

Member ID
    CZCC-11908

Pulled up behind another red 280 zx the other day at walmart. The car was sitting right in front of the entrance, and both our cars got quite a few comments (mostly like "you don't see those everyday," and "I bet you feel like your seeing your car in a mirror").
    The coolest thing about the other ZX was the build date of 9/78...
    The owners daughter came out of the store and said "Cool!" and her mother commented that she saw me drive in (as I saw her as I drove in). It's nice to know that there is another local driver around. Alas, no camera so no photos. Perhaps next time.
    David

Member ID
    CZCC-15533

Well, I can say without hesitation that it takes me twice as long to do anthing when I am out as the car gets tons of attention. I even take it to the local Thursday night cruise at A&W and it sits amongst the hot rods and the all the domestic muscle...all the while people gathering around it with smiles on their faces.

The great thing about the 240Z is that everyone has good things to say about it. They owned one, they always wanted one or just kind words about how she looks today. The best feeling in the world knowing it's mine.

of the Silver Shield Soc. dogma420's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3789

"250" was an accidental mistype...somebody needs to grow up here...

The 350z is a cabin forward modern sports car--besides the name, nothing is similiar to the S30...they may have said they were trying to be retro, but the final product, especially with the cab forward design--doesn't resemble the S30, especially when driving. There's a thread somewhere on here where somebody photoshoped the 350z and added 6-8 inches between the rear of the front wheel well and the door crease. THEN it looks like a S30 and it would probably be more like the S30.

The person who buys a 350z is not interested in the classic s30, an unmodified original S30.

But, a fellow apt. dweller a few years ago bought a 350z and his first car wash he was in line right after me at the apt's car wash spot--we talked quite a bit about Z this and Z that...but it's apparent it's for a different driver, in my opinion.
    --Dave aka Dogma420 My Gallery
    Early '72 red 110 / white (10/71)
    HLS30 56895

Car Guy
    Member ID
    CZCC-12941

On my home from work today, I pulled up to a stoplight next to a 350Z with the top down and the guy in the passenger seat yells at me so I roll the window down and he says he likes my car and said he owned a 240 and a 260z and I told him the 350Z was cool too. Then as he pulls away he yells "Cya Z dude"! and gives me the thumbs up, nice to see someone in a 350Z show some love to an older Z
    Last edited by 76Datsun280z; 02-13-2008 at 10:03 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Typically, the 350Z drivers I see while in my 240Z are too busy yacking on their cell phones to even notice any of the traffic around them. Seriously. I see two or three a day on my way to and from work, and the drivers (both men and women) are ALWAYS on their phones.

Not so for Z32 drivers. Many of them notice my car, and lots wave.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-15080

my car has been in the shop for some time now, but a couple weeks ago i was taking my laundry out and i overheard the kids that play in my apartment complex go "DUDE! That's the guy with the TIGHT NISSAN!"
    I kinda chuckled thinking to myself "wow, a kid that knows a datsun is a nissan haha"
    i think it's kind of funny because no where on the car does it say nissan. it says datsun all over.
    Owner of:
    1978 280z HLS30-465974
    Current Progress:Tweaking, tuning, planning, waiting

Member ID
    CZCC-8319

Quote Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r View Post
    i think it's kind of funny because no where on the car does it say nissan. it says datsun all over.
    Except where it really counts... on the engine and on the seatbelts...
    Silver '76 280Z Daily-Driver - "Lindsey" -- HLS30286119
    The Miracle Car! -- Spared from disaster TWICE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfadog
    Z - 2
    Trees - 0!

Member ID
    CZCC-15743

Bought my '72 out of Arizona and brought it back to Canada through Windsor/Detriot. Had a lot of customs people on both sides of the border come out to see the car... at the time I wasn't sure if that was a good thing but it worked out OK.

Stopped by the local Nissan/Infinity dealership last year and all of the mechanics came out and gave the car a full inspection in the parking lot for about 10 minutes. That was pretty cool.

Some days lots of comments, others none. Seems to constantly get comments from people on motorcycles (except Harleys).

The biggest smile she usually gets is on my face when I fire her up.

Member ID
    CZCC-8920

Quote Originally Posted by DougN View Post
    Both my Z's and MGB get attention (except from 350Z's!) around here.
    Since there is an exception to every rule, wanted to share this!

Well, this AM, driving to work in the Lime Z, I see a black 350Z over in the far right lane (I am in the far left - 5 lane highway). He sees me after a few minutes, and speeds up and starts maneuvering through the traffic to catch up to me. He makes a point of pulling up along side me, and we exchanged the 'ol thumbs up! He then worked his way back to the right lane to exit. I noticed as he pulled away that he had replaced all his 350Z badges with Fairlady badges, so I figure he must be a Z enthusiast, and maybe that is why he recognized my 240Z :classsic:

Interestingly, I was quite pleased with the encounter. It was neat to have both the first and the last models driving next to each other, almost as good as finding another classic Z on the road. As I saw him maneuvering to catch me, I said to the 240Z "here comes one of your grandkids to say "hi"!"
    Doug

'73 240Z (HLS30-126840)(10/72) Yellow (64XXX original miles)
    '66 MGB (GHN3L108501)(12/14/66) BRG
    '10 BMW E93 Silver

Member ID
    CZCC-16545

I picked up my cousin who is a NASCAR VIP at the Napa Airport after an Infinion NASCAR event. He was a bit tipsy after a day in the VIP suite and the helicopter ride from Infinion and as he got into my Datsun he said "Whoa! This thing is SICK!!!"
    Given the ten year difference in our ages it took me about five minutes to realize that he didn't mean my car sucked... Over the next week as he stayed at my house he drove every one of my cars. I thought for sure he would like the Porsche's better but in the end he said that he loved the way the Z revved so easily and was "so light and tossable". To which I said, "huh?" He said "Just kidding".
    Rob
    2000 BMW R1100 RT-SE (for sale)
    1999 Toyota 4Runner Supercharged
    1975 Porsche 914 stroker motor autoX car
    1973 Datsun 240Z Restoration project. New paint in original white. E31 head on 2.4 block. Nissan Motorsports header. R200 with Nissan motorsports LSD.

Member ID
    CZCC-6446

Thumbs up Yes, oh hell yes!!

I pulled up into a gas station the other day and started to fill up. Meanwhile, a BMW 6 series pulls up behind me and parks awkwardly and the driver gets out of his car and says, NICE Z!!! He said that he saw me pull in and had to turn around and stop at the gas station to take a closer look... He claimed that he had a 240z, 260z and a 280z and wished that he never sold them... It apparently brought back memories. Another occasion was when I drove to my friends house; I was crusing when I noticed a souped up nogaro red 350z trying to pull up beside me. The 350 was pullin up fast on a 35mph zone... as soon as he pulled up, he gave me a thumbs up... So, as far as I know, S30's, S130's get noticed and I'm sure z31 n z32 are the same...

Member ID
    CZCC-14684

The community I live in - Rochester, Minnesota (home of the Mayo Clinic) is largely populated with medical professionals of all fields, so as an engineer here I'm often a bit out of place. It was interesting while I had my two(2), 1973 240z's on the road up until 1month ago (Green & Orange) of which I had to sell the Orange one becuase I'm moving to NY in several months. I'd drive to the gas station or stop at a major shopping plaza and I'd get comments like: "Love all the Chrome - you don't see it today"; 'Had a 240z,260z,280z and sold it when the kids came along - loved the car"; "What are you willing to sell it for?"; "Is this a Jaguar XKE or was Datsun part of Jaguar?" But the most interesting comment I'll get is : "Hey have you seen the other 240z in Rochester, it's just like yours - but Orange (if I'm in my Green one) or vice versus?" When I tell them that's mine as well - they immediately say you're kidding me OR are you interested in selling it - I'd love to own the car?" Anyway with all the BMW's, Porche's, Mercedes, Escalades and large SUVs in town, I get loads of attention. Last week a ~1955 Corvette honked and gave a thumbs up as I drove by the intersection, so the 240z get's remarkable amount of attention from the US muscle car fans. I'm sure they were very rare in Minnesota and given the harsh winters it really made them extinct.

My most favorite ackowledgment has been several times while in my Green 240z and cruising on highway 52 or driving down Broadway (the main street) and the local or state police pull up next to me and give a thumbs up. I just acknowledge with a smile & wave, and of course let them pass me!

Cheers all and enjoy the nice weather!
    Last edited by moritz55; 04-16-2008 at 01:19 PM.
    Regards,

Mark M. .........
    1973 240z HLS30-124668 (9/72), "Deep Beryl Green-PGV"
    2010 370z JN1AZ4EH3AM503017 (3/10), "Black Cherry-NAG"

The alphabet begins w/ Z. AndysPlit's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-14390

Quote Originally Posted by moritz55 View Post
    The community I live in - Rochester, Minnesota (home of the Mayo Clinic) is largely populated with medical professionals of all fields, so as an engineer here I'm often a bit out of place. It was interesting while I had my two(2), 1973 240z's on the road up until 1month ago (Green & Orange) of which I had to sell the Orange one becuase I'm moving to NY in several months. I'd drive to the gas station or stop at a major shopping plaza and I'd get comments like: "Love all the Chrome - you don't see it today"; 'Had a 240z,260z,280z and sold it when the kids came along - loved the car"; "What are you willing to sell it for?"; "Is this a Jaguar XKE or was Datsun part of Jaguar?" But the most interesting comment I'll get is : "Hey have you seen the other 240z in Rochester, it's just like yours - but Orange (if I'm in my Green one) or vice versus?" When I tell them that's mine as well - they immediately say you're kidding me OR are you interested in selling it - I'd love to own the car?" Anyway with all the BMW's, Porche's, Mercedes, Escalades and large SUVs in town, I get loads of attention. Last week a ~1955 Corvette honked and gave a thumbs up as I drove by the intersection, so the 240z get's remarkable amount of attention from the US muscle car fans. I'm sure they were very rare in Minnesota and given the harsh winters it really made them extinct.

My most favorite ackowledgment has been several times while in my Green 240z and cruising on highway 52 or driving down Broadway (the main street) and the local or state police pull up next to me and give a thumbs up. I just acknowledge with a smile & wave, and of course let them pass me!

Cheers all and enjoy the nice weather!
    I've had many people admire the car because they use to own one. I feel very good when a Corvette owner is enthralled, as their cars do carry prestige as well.

1978 Datsun 280Z (owned since Aug 1997)
    1986 Nissan 300ZX 2+2 (SOLD!)
    1996 Nissan 300ZX 2+2 (daily driver)

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

On Monday afternoon I pushed Bonzi out of the garage to take photos for the insurance company. As I was walking back to the house to get the camera I saw an older gentelman in a land yacht had noticed it and started to stare. He was slowly drifting across the double yellow line untill he was half way into the on comming traffic lane, then had to yank it hard to the right to get back into his lane. Lucky for him no semi or another car was in that lane or it would of been a head on.

Bonzi Lon
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

The alphabet begins w/ Z. AndysPlit's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-14390

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzi Lon View Post
    On Monday afternoon I pushed Bonzi out of the garage to take photos for the insurance company. As I was walking back to the house to get the camera I saw an older gentelman in a land yacht had noticed it and started to stare. He was slowly drifting across the double yellow line untill he was half way into the on comming traffic lane, then had to yank it hard to the right to get back into his lane. Lucky for him no semi or another car was in that lane or it would of been a head on.

Bonzi Lon

Similar account a few months ago; On the way to work on the freeway I had a couple guys in a black Miata check out my ride as I passed them by. As I looked at them in my rear view mirror I noticed that they almost slammed into the car in front of them when traffic in their lane slowed! I believe I saw smoke from their tires when they had to hit the brakes.

By the way, I dread ever being caught picking my nose in the Z. I feel it would be a bad reflection on all us Z drivers. Why I had to share that, I don't know......not that it's a habit of mine.

1978 Datsun 280Z (owned since Aug 1997)
    1986 Nissan 300ZX 2+2 (SOLD!)
    1996 Nissan 300ZX 2+2 (daily driver)

Member ID
    CZCC-7975

I got a beep and thumbs up this morning on my way to work from a guy in a nice ~'82 RX-7. Here in Detroit, his car is just as rare as mine! My car has a long way to go, but I still get a lot of "I used to have one of those" comments.

As far as the 350Z comments go, I have to disagree. When the 350Z first came out, I was a bit disappointed. I thought it was too heavy and wasn't a real Z. After a few years, I got to drive one for a few days and really felt differently about it. It felt light and nimble and was ABSOLUTELY a true Z! My opinion changed completely and now I really love them. If I had the money, I would buy one. 350Z drivers still don't wave back, but I forgive them I understand that most 350Z owners didn't buy the car because of the history, but that's not a bad thing! Nissan was smart enough to make a sports car that today's buyer wants to buy. Too many companies build retro cars that sell because of memories, but fail to excite after the initial buzz wears off. The Prowler and Challenger are good examples of this. The Challenger looks really good, but is just another 300C/Charger under the retro sheetmetal. I applaud Nissan for their decision on the Z.
    Jeff
    Northville, Michigan
    IZCC #1285
    '78 280 10:1 CR, Arizona Z Car header, urethane bushings, Tokico springs, Illumina struts, Panasports w/Hankook R-S2 225/50R16 tires, Maxima 105 amp alternator
    http://www.classiczcars.com/photopos...00&ppuser=7975
    '74 260Z BRE look-alike crap can for Optima Batteries ChumpCar World Series Racing racing
    https://www.facebook.com/Jeff.Grauer

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

I get looks in my Z to, No drivers door or seats. No hood or fenders. No headlights or turn signals. No Exhaust 50 different colors...

Damn I Miss My Z
    HLS30-217804 6/75 "The Unnatural One"

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Wrong thread, Bill. In that case the question would be "How often does law enforcement notice you in your classic Z on the road?"
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-15137

I was anxious to get home Sunday from a week-end of car show and cruise in San Antonio. I was headed north on I-45 from I-10, hitting it pretty good (about 80). I noticed a cop gaining pretty rapidly on me, so I slowed down to just over the limit (65). He got up real close. Gave me a thumbs-up and a wave and off he went. I reciprocated, breathed a sigh of relief and resumed my journey home. Nice guy, that cop!

Frank
    First & Third owner of HLS30-00721
    B. 01/70 D. 03/12

New owner of HLS30-15653
    B. 12/70 D.

Frank in Houston, Texas

Just another "Old Guy"
    Member ID
    CZCC-16505

I got a really weird compliment from a police officer that pulled me over for my exhaust...after stoppiing and handing my insurance card he told me i had a "Nice little corvette conversion" .... don't think that didnt get me started. this officer must have only been 30 so i guess he has no idea of 70's japanese imports....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0026.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	22859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0027.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	22860  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member ID
    CZCC-15469

Default Getting noticed

I'm happy to say that the girlfriend loves riding around in the Z because of all the attention it receives. This happened about a week ago and she's told it to half a dozen people since then, because she enjoys it so much.

We were pulling out of the local Safeway, and just as I'm starting to turn left a guy pulls into the lot and yells out the window of his compact.

GUY: What year is your Z?
    ME: She's a 1970.
    GUY: She's beautiful, a great car.
    ME: Thanks a lot.
    GUY: You work @ Home Depot, right?
    ME: Yeah I do.
    GUY: I've seen it there a few times, it's a great looking Z.
    ME: Thanks, I love it.

And by this time he had two cars waiting to get into the lot, and I had a clear lane to turn into so we each went our own ways. My gf was so excited, saying " That was so cool! He knew your car, and remembered it. That was soo cool. I love riding in this thing!"

I'm not only happy to be noticed regularly, but even happier that she likes the car so hopefully she'll be more forgiving as I put more money into it!
    ***PREVIOUSLY OWNED***
    1970 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-01704
    71,000 Original Miles

- Jon

Member ID
    CZCC-17195

S30's are very rare in South Florida, so my car does turn many heads on the road.

It's a cool feeling, but after a while it gets a little annoying. This is because the car attracts attention, and you get people staring at it not paying attention to the road, or slowing down around the car to take a look. This also includes cars in front of you slowing down to catch a closer glimpse in their rear-view.

When I'm driving the Z, I prefer to zip through traffic, although when people are rubbernecking around you; it doesn't help.

Then again, it's probably just the drivers here in Miami. I think this city has the worst drivers in the U.S. Nobody uses turn signals or pays attention; and EVERYONE is on a cell phone while they drive...
    Last edited by mikewags; 08-14-2008 at 05:06 PM.
    11/75 - 1976 280Z - #HLS30-282,503
    Metallic Blue #305

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Quote Originally Posted by slyhog22056 View Post
    I got a really weird compliment from a police officer that pulled me over for my exhaust...after stoppiing and handing my insurance card he told me i had a "Nice little corvette conversion" .... don't think that didnt get me started. this officer must have only been 30 so i guess he has no idea of 70's japanese imports....

That's when you say " If you're gonna give me a ticket, then just do it. But don't pull me over then Insult me AND my car" Basically, Don't make me take my seatbelt off, you would'nt like me Outside my Z"

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

Quote Originally Posted by Zs-ondabrain View Post
    That's when you say " If you're gonna give me a ticket, then just do it. But don't pull me over then Insult me AND my car" Basically, Don't make me take my seatbelt off, you would'nt like me Outside my Z"
    Sounds like a guaranteed way to get a ticket to me Dave.

-Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-17476

Personally, I don't go a day without getting a compliment or rubber-necker. It seems like at least half the people on the road try to catch a better glimpse of my '74 260z.

Just the other day I was sitting in this crappy Chinese buffet and noticed some guy and his wife/girlfriend outside doing the whole pointing and reminiscing thing with my car.

Another note, it seems the majority of people that do want to talk to me about it are older people that used to have one or had a brother or etc etc. I have yet to met anyone else in the Florida panhandle that has one besides two people. One with an imported L20 RHD and another with an RB25.

Other than that, there was a 280zx on the road around here that seemed to have an enthusiast driver from what I could tell from our traffic light conversations but I believe its been sold or taken off the road since I haven't seen it in over a month.

'Tis a rarer and rarer vehicle it is, the S30.

Thread Information