Thread: act your age. Wait no... Post your age

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

Default act your age. Wait no... Post your age

Started this thread on the 510 forum and have been getting quite a few cool responses and posts. Plus some history of how members became fans of their current Datsun models.

I don't have a Z but I will be 30 in May

Pretty much grew up around Datsuns as my dad (Diseazd) built more S30's and 510's than I can count.

And yes..... one day I will buy a 240
    Last edited by five&dime; 03-13-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-17426

I will be 40 in May and I've loved the z car since I was about 10. I had a book titled " Datsun 280zx " when I was a kid and I dreamed about owning my own z car ever since. I used to get in trouble for drawing them during school. A 1980-something zx was almost my 1st car. I got a loan for it and the seller backed out on me the last minute. He said that he just started dating a girl and she did'nt want him to sell it.
    There have been other z cars over the years that I came close to buying but most needed more tlc than I could afford to give them. There was one 260z a few years back that had very low mileage and looked like it rolled off the showroom floor but I did'nt have the heart to make it my daily driver and I could'nt afford a 2nd car. New York winters can make swiss cheese out of a z.

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

I'll be 49 in two weeks. This is my 4th and favorite Zcar.

My first one was a '73 240 white/red interior, one of the best cars in my life and one of my worse - (I'll never forget it) was a nightmare. I purchased the car in '78 - yeap, 18 years old and lovin' life, until I decided to replace the fenders, rockers, and headlight cases with fiberglass replacement parts. The body shop and I agreed to the work and the price. I paid 50% down and the balance when the car was done in 8 weeks (replacement body parts and exterior color change to BLACK). He had the car for over 1 year. He placed a mechanics lean on the car and locked it up because he wanted more money. By then I had paid him bits and pieces of the balance until I had paid him in full and yes, you got it, he wanted more and my car was not finished yet (I'm sure some of you are saying, this sounds familiar). So, I got pissed and one of my buddies that owned a wrecker service went down to the body shop and stole my car. We stored it in my grandmothers (Bless her soul) barn. About two weeks later the sheriff's department comes to my grandmothers house and my grandmother walked out on the porch with a .22 rifle and told them to get off her property that nobody was taking anything. They showed her the search warrant and confiscated my car and hauled it away again..........hell, I'm still making payments on it, by this time I'm around 20 years old or so. I finally end up getting an attorney and getting my (now Black) Zcar back in pieces and tryed to put it back together. The paint was so old it has oxidized and looks like crap and felt like crap. I cleaned it up and ended up selling it in pieces.........I was making payments on it for the past two years and not even able to drive it. I know - what a terrible story - it gets worse, the guy I sold it to put it all back together and then totaled it directly after he bought it.
    So - ever since then, after I bought a 280ZX (not the same), after a 300 (not the same) I have been determined to get back in a 240. Two years ago and two years back in another body shop this one is having a better ending..........so the story goes, at least so far it has.
    Hope you enjoyed the story -
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-17819

I just turned 44 last month (I see a patern of mid-life crisis guys forming!) and my first car was a 71 240. Just beginning to relive my childhood. Next is the 84 Mustang GT and maybe a YZ250. Who knows?

The wife is getting more worried by the moment!!!

John

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

I was a 14 year old gas station attendant in 1970. The rich kid in high school got a new Z for graduation, so to show it off he smoked the tires on the lot. I was impressed. First import that I saw do this, and so cool looking to boot.

In 1977 I spotted my 73 on a used car lot and bought it on the spot, ($2600 and my Ford 4X4) with a phone call to my banker.

Drove it until 1980, had the engine rebuilt at the dealership. A friend talked me into a piant job, (for money he owed me) so he got up to primer then quit, didn't get my money either. No cash to finish so put in storage until 2006 when I got an intrest to get it out of storage and refurbished it for antique status in 2008, and did.

I turn 54 in July, but the strange thing is, every time I'm behind the wheel of my Z, it is 1979 and I am 24.

Bonzi Lon
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzi Lon View Post
    every time I'm behind the wheel of my Z, it is 1979 and I am 24.

Bonzi Lon
    I hear you brothr'
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-14224

<< 25 in a month.
    1970 240z #1905 - L30ET Resto-Mod Project

1971 240z- LS1/T56

New club forming in the Northeast. www.NYZCC.org NY,NJ,CT,PA. PM for info.

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

I'm the oldest to respond so far as I'll be 59 on July 1st this year, but there are a few older than me on this site. My first Z was a brand new 70 (#488) and I've had two others including the 78 I have now. But more than a Z fan, I'm a Datsun fan and have had quite a few of them but I won't bore you guys with the list again.
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Supporting Member Zedyone_kenobi's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-16285

35 years young, here! And enjoying my 71 240Z and my 12 month old baby boy. I have never been happier in my life! A great wife, a wonderful son, and my dream car since I was old enough to hold a hot wheels.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691
    93.9% done and getting better every day
    Now with 100% more DATSUN SPIRIT L28 Power
    1968 Datsun 2000 SRL311-03416

Member ID
    CZCC-15588

Default Gettin older , '' thankfully '' !

Although I feel 34 everyday , I will be turning 46 this august . I have had D ownership since my first car at 17 , it was a 71-510 ,lots of fun then a 72 240, sadly crashed , then a b210 and finally on to pickup trucks from then on .
    Now our family fleet consists of A 2002 pfinder , 92 ranger , 93 civic and my baby the 71-z .
    It has been a great ride this thing called life !
    see ya
    Chris
    71-z , great for me , awesome for the parts store , hey I'm helping the local economy !

Member ID
    CZCC-7975

Here is my longwinded Z tale...

I am 43 and have been a Z fan ever since I was a kid. I saw my first 240Z in '71 or '72 and instantly fell in love with it. Over the next few years I got excited everytime I'd see one on the road.

I was around 8 years old or so when my mom decided to redecorate my bedroom. She drug me down to the wallpaper store to pick out a new design to replace the flowers that my sister used to have in the room. As I looked through stupid wallpaper samples, I hit the jackpot. I found wallpaper with cars on it. In the foreground, there were color pictures of antique cars and in the background were black and white modern sports cars. Well, one of them was a 240Z! There was no doubt what wallpaper I was getting! I got to look at my favorite car every day in my room.

Fast forward to 1984 when I turned 18. I just had to have a Z car. I found a guy with a 1972 and a 1976 in a field. He wanted $600 for the pair of Z cars. I rented a tow bar and drug them home with grand visions of building the '76 280Z out of the two cars. Well, they were rusted beyond repair, but I learned a TON from those two cars. I stripped both cars to their shells and sold off what I could. I got enough in parts to pay for the two cars and I had a lot of parts left over. At that point, I knew I had to get a rust-free Z, so I went to Atlanta (from Ohio) in 1986 in search of a clean Z. I found a very clean '76 280Z automatic. I still had the manual trans and pedal box from the 240Z parts car, so I bought the Atlanta 280Z, drove it home and converted it to a 4 speed. I kept that car for three years and had a ball with it.

Over the next few years I bought and sold several more Z cars along with many other cars. In 1990, I decided it was time to go south again and find another clean Z. I found my current car, a 1978 280Z. It had been sitting for about five years, it didn't run, and it had a bit of front end damage. The hood had some bondo and the bumper was a bit bent, but otherwise looked straight. The interior was also shot, but it was either this car or go home empty handed. I bought the rust-free, but non-running Z for $700 and drug it back to Ohio on a tow dolly. Well, after removing the bumper and front fenders, I found that the car had been hit pretty hard and that the whole left front structure was crumpled and had been pulled back out. Rather than scrap the otherwise clean Z, I bought a friends rusty Z and had a buddy do some surgery. He replaced the whole left front of the Z with parts he cut off the parts car. It came out great and looked like it had never been hit. I rebuilt a spare engine and dropped it in. Unfortunately, something was wrong in the engine and I had to tear it back down. I didn't check the work of the machine shop that did the head and four valves were now bent. They had milled a head that was warped and the #1 and #6 pistons hit the valves. At this point, I was recently out of college and didn't have the time to work on this Z. I did have a different Z I was driving though. The '78 was tucked away in my dad's garage when I got a job in a Michigan. I also got married shortly after that. After living in an apartment for a few years, We finally bought a house and I was able to retrieve the Z after many years of storage. I *thought* I'd have time to work on it, but homeownership and a new bride kept me very busy. The Z got less attention than it needed and it took another long nap before I finally forced myself to get it on the road. Fast forward to 2006 when I finally got to drive the Z that I bought in 1990! Including the time it sat before I bought it, it had been parked for 21 years. I started over with a different engine and went through the suspension, brakes, and interior. I have since gotten many little things finished on it, but it does still need a paintjob. I have been able to put about 7000 miles on it since I got it on the road. Not bad considering the short driving season and few sunny days we have here in Michigan.

In the last 25 years, I've had nine S30s, a Z31, an S13, a Sentra SER, a BMW, a few Hondas, a Supra and many Toyota 4x4 daily drivers.

I don't think I'll ever be be without a Z car again and I promise that I WILL finish my Z someday.

Last edited by Jeff G 78; 03-14-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Added picture
    Jeff
    Northville, Michigan
    IZCC #1285
    '78 280 10:1 CR, Arizona Z Car header, urethane bushings, Tokico springs, Illumina struts, Panasports w/Hankook R-S2 225/50R16 tires, Maxima 105 amp alternator
    http://www.classiczcars.com/photopos...00&ppuser=7975
    '74 260Z BRE look-alike crap can for Optima Batteries ChumpCar World Series Racing racing
    https://www.facebook.com/Jeff.Grauer

Member ID
    CZCC-10882

I'll be 57 this year. I've only had two Datsuns. I bought a '69 510 wagon in 1971, drove it a year, and then bought a new '72 Z that I still have. Here's the story of the Z (pasted from an earlier thread):

I read the road test of the 240Z in the April 1970 issue of Road&Track magazine and recognized the car as a great value. Then, in 1971 I visited my brother down in Miami and he pulls up in a blue 1970 Z - so that was my first ride. Between the article and that ride, I said to myself: I should get one of these someday...

Bought my Z new in 1972 while in the Marines, using a re-enlistment bonus to pay cash for the car. Had a BRE/Interpart header, spook, and rear spoiler installed by the dealer at delivery. After I had the car for a month or so, drove up to the BRE/Interpart shop in El Segundo, CA and bought the Mulholland suspension package. In ’73, put in a hotter cam. In ’74, bought a new WR OD 5-speed, driveshaft, and R-190 LSD w/4.44 gears from Datsun Comp ($575 through a mechanic friend at a dealer). The car scooted pretty good with that gearing. Car was up on blocks for a year while I was stationed in Japan in late ’74 into ’75.

By 1977, I wanted more power, so skipped the triple carb scene and went with a 331ci SB Chevy – 11:1 forged, cam, Edelbrock Tarantula manifold, 650 Holley double-pump carb, headers. Had to pull the R-190/4.44 out and put a R-180/3.36 in for the V-8 (the R-180 lasted while the V-8 was in). After 5 years with the V-8, I got married, needed a better transportation car, and was getting caught up with smog/legal issues with the swap, so in 1982, put in an L-28 with just a slightly hotter cam, and another 5-speed. In 1983, the R-180 pinion gear finally failed while I was doing a 1-2 shift (must have been something to do with the V-8 service!) so put in an R-200/3.54.

In ‘86/’87, did a moderate refresh of the car – went through the mechanicals, had it repainted original color (901 silver). Then, didn’t do much but drive and enjoy it for nearly 20 years. Then, in late 2005, I started a mechanical refresh again (mostly suspension). In December 2005 (unfortunately) the head cracked and I had an oil pan full of coolant – so, an unplanned engine rebuild. As long as the engine was apart, went with flat-top pistons and a hotter cam. In January ’06, decided to go to the MSA show, so I worked on the cosmetics a bit and finally refreshed the interior. In 2007 I installed Z-Therapy carbs with SM needles. The car should now be ready for another 20 years of driving. I will then be more than 75 years old, and will probably not be able to steer the thing, so will have to pull out the quick steering knuckles and put stock ones in, and put in a really BIG steering wheel … and then drive it some more!

Over all this time, the car has only been out of service (not counting the year on blocks while I was in Japan) for about 6-7 weeks due to engine swaps/rebuilds, paint, etc. It was a daily driver for the first 17 years, about a “twice a week” driver for the next 17, and is about a “once a week” driver now. It’s been a long, but fun, 36 1/2 years of ownership.

HLS30-89526 6/72 original owner

Looking for 1 more ATS 15x6 mag...

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

I'll be 62 next month and first saw a Z in early November 1971 while walking through the Ginza in Tokyo while on my way back to the States after a year and a half stay in the Philippines. I had sold my '69 Pontiac Gran Prix in the Philippines before leaving and intended to buy a Volvo 1800 when I got home. Seeing the Z in an elevated display window changed all that. I can clearly remember the sounds, the smells, and the temperature at the moment I spotted that car - an amazing visual and emotional impact.

Before the end of the month, I had returned home, found a nice new '71 240Z, and bought it - at way too much over sticker. I liked that Z so much that I still have it.

For almost 20 of the 38 years that I've owned it, it sat, unused, sometimes in the driveway and mostly in a rented storage building. A couple years ago, I took it out of storage and began a refurbish project that, so far, has only cost a couple thousand dollars more than it cost when new. It sits in the driveway, takes me for a ride once in a while, and doesn't make too many demands. Our 38 year relationship remains solid.

My 16 year old son recently got his license and is learning the fine points of driving a "stick" thanks to the Z. The torch is passed.
    Dennis
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-7975

Very nice Z Goose!
    Jeff
    Northville, Michigan
    IZCC #1285
    '78 280 10:1 CR, Arizona Z Car header, urethane bushings, Tokico springs, Illumina struts, Panasports w/Hankook R-S2 225/50R16 tires, Maxima 105 amp alternator
    http://www.classiczcars.com/photopos...00&ppuser=7975
    '74 260Z BRE look-alike crap can for Optima Batteries ChumpCar World Series Racing racing
    https://www.facebook.com/Jeff.Grauer

Learning
    Member ID
    CZCC-17279

I am 43 as well. I have only had my 240 since 07/2008. Story of the ride home and blown headgasket on my blog as well as some questions for you guys that have done some mild upgrades and ease of driving mods with a stock look. Would appreciate some comments there.

I have had muscle cars, lifted trucks and all kinds of little sports cars. I have done MGBs and Midgets, a Bug Eye Sprites and even a turbo charge 1970 Opel GT! I was looking to get out of my 79 Camaro T-top street/strip 450hp car for something I could drive to work on nice days, turn some heads, and go to some stock class autocross and have some fun. I went through the list of cars I had owned before and compared them to the other cars of the time. Found the 240 was head and shoulders above them. I have never had a Datsun before, a couple of Toyotas for the wife and my driver truck. I found my car locally and started in on it. Should have it back on the road with new floors and rails real soon. I am becoming found of this little car!

Member ID
    CZCC-7611

I will be 39 on the 4th of May.

I had a friend when I was in the 7th or 8th grade who's mother drove a 280zx. I thought it was a really cool car at the time. Later in life we used to take the car on illegal joy rides when she was gone, illegal because we were 15 at the time. That was my intro to the Z world.

When I was 18 a friend of mine bought a 240 with a modded L28 in it. I took a ride in the car and was blown away. It was fast and loud and handled great. The car was beautiful inside and out, I wanted one.

Fast forward to 28 years old and I have moved to Missoula Montana from my home town of Memphis TN. I owned a `90 Saab 900 that I started to autocross. On my first autocross (which I won running studdless snow tires!) I watched a guy with a `71 240 with a 3.1 L motor, suddenly I remembered being 18 again. I got a ride in the car and was more blown away then when I was 18. This car was very fast, it ran on race fuel and had 13.5:1 compression, racing slicks and a very stiff suspension. I continued racing my Saab for a couple more years and picked the brain of the guy with the 3.1 240.

I went to work one day in `03, parked my Saab in front of the office on the street. A woman slammed into it while turned around yelling at her kids in the back seat, totaled it. I was bummed but it was time for a new car anyway. I ended up buying a Subaru Outback. It was a great car but boring, big mistake. I sold the car a year later and bought a $650 `87 Toyota pickup and a `71 240z, much better car arrangement.

The guy that raced the 3.1 helped my pick the car out. We did some mods to the car and I started racing it in FP, though I kept the car streetable. I raced it for 2 years, He and I traveled together to the races in our Z's. Then I started racing his car. We shared his car for a couple of years on the track. I ended up winning quite a few fast times of the day awards in that car (beating him in his own car!). I had won one in my car but his is much faster with the 3.1.

I have not raced for 2 year now and I think I am going to get back into it this year. I spent all my $ racing the Saab and Zcars, mostly credit cards. I decided to get out of debt. I refinanced to a 15 year loan on my house with out raising the monthly cost and I have paid all other debts off and I have saved $ to play with. So I am going to get out in the Z on the track not just the street this year and see what happens. I think I will be a little rusty but I have always done well autocrossing so I think I'll be alright. Check out my user gallery for picks of the Z on the track.
    Last edited by zguitar71; 03-14-2009 at 10:17 AM.
    Did I hit that cone?
    1/71 series II 240z, 920 gold (AKA baby poo yellow, but I love it anyway)
    Christopher Gray

Member ID
    CZCC-16545

Quote Originally Posted by Rif View Post
    I will be 40 in May and I've loved the z car since I was about 10. I had a book titled " Datsun 280zx " when I was a kid and I dreamed about owning my own z car ever since. I used to get in trouble for drawing them during school. A 1980-something zx was almost my 1st car. I got a loan for it and the seller backed out on me the last minute. He said that he just started dating a girl and she did'nt want him to sell it.
    There have been other z cars over the years that I came close to buying but most needed more tlc than I could afford to give them. There was one 260z a few years back that had very low mileage and looked like it rolled off the showroom floor but I did'nt have the heart to make it my daily driver and I could'nt afford a 2nd car. New York winters can make swiss cheese out of a z.
    I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but that book Datsun 280ZX is the rarest of Z car publications. It was a Datsun promotion book sent out in late '78 I think to promote the ZX. I am looking at my copy now. I got it new.

I turned 55 last Sunday. My wife took me to IHOP yesterday so I could order my first senior discounted meal. Waitress challenged me when I ordered the Senior meal and said I looked 40. My wife growled at her for flirting with me.

I got into Z cars in 1976 when I bought a '76 280Z. My roommate at the University of Minnesota had an English sportscar called a TVR 2500M that he was restoring and repainting. He got me into autocrossing... I have owned several first generation cars since then but now have a second owner (me) 240Z. I am mostly a Porsche guy these days but I will always have my Z...
    Last edited by conedodger; 03-14-2009 at 10:51 AM.
    Rob
    2000 BMW R1100 RT-SE (for sale)
    1999 Toyota 4Runner Supercharged
    1975 Porsche 914 stroker motor autoX car
    1973 Datsun 240Z Restoration project. New paint in original white. E31 head on 2.4 block. Nissan Motorsports header. R200 with Nissan motorsports LSD.

Member ID
    CZCC-13312

42 years of living........

Bought my first 240Z as a junior in high school, a 1972 silver metallic with red interior. Had it three weeks until I was hit by a 83 year old driver and my car was destroyed. After insurance bought a 70 model Mustard Yellow and drove it till after college.

Since I can remember I have always loved the 240Z. Currently have a 1970 and 1971 model.

1970 240Z HLS30 00797 White / Blue

Member ID
    CZCC-11351

I'll be 50 this coming December. When I originally bought my 260 about 4 years ago, I was actually looking to find a Z that I could swap in a SBC into and relive my unfinished V8 Vega project of many years ago. Well, the first car looked at was the 260 for sale in Woodland... about 45 minutes from where I live. It is very original, seized engine, no rust, a few dings, needs new paint, but no body work needed other than to replace the driver's front fender, very nice interior, no cracks in the dash, just needs drivers seat recovered... the best part was that I only paid $500 for it. After I got it home I did get it to run for about 30 seconds, then it developed a pretty bad knock. The kid I bought it from had let it run out of oil. So, I figure I'll find a spun bearing once I get engine torn down. Anyway, after giving the car a real good once over at home, I just don't have the heart to butcher it by putting a chevy in it. So, I'm going to start this summer by pulling the engine getting it running and go from there.

It's such a cool little car. My wife and daughter think I'm crazy because I''ll go out in the garage and just sit in her. After the past 4 years of lurking here, zcar.com and hybridZ, I've learned a lot and now have a large binder of tips. I've also been collecting parts over the past couple years... 3.90, 300zx cv half shafts, some parts for the rear disc conversion, Forerunner front calipers, early 5-speed, a pair of 3 screw SUs and a pair of 4 screw SUs. So, I'm definately ready to get started on her this spring.

Since some of you have mentioned cars that you have owned in the past, here's a link to a post of mine over at zcar.com. I had found some old pictures of some of the cars I've have owned and don't any more. And decided to share them.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/4/2024100
    1974 260Z - The Project - RLS30 012230 (Nov. '73)
    1989 Turbo Supra - Ice Blue Pearl, 5-Speed, Sports Roof, TEMS - Original Owner, Completely Stock

Member ID
    CZCC-7738

I'll be 39 in December. Oddly enough I was a ford mustang man in the 80's. till my best friend (Z's onthebrain) kept kicken my @$$ in his 78 510. I got real tired of that, so I went and bought My very first Z (1970) with frame rails about to fall off. Vin unknown. By then of course he didn't have his 510 any longer. But he still couldn't beat me in what ever he drove. So of couse to one up me he went and bought his current love. As you've all seen over the last few years. I don't own an older Z anymore. But I've been working on them and all Z's professionally since the first one.(A passion started) Kinda quells the appitite for now. However! One day soon I wil have my 70-73Z. Till then I will live vicariously through all of you and drive my 1990 300ZX..

JOHNNY Z MOTORSPORT...(JZM)...

Member ID
    CZCC-16658

I just turned 23 a week ago! I have been into z cars since I was 14. When I turned 16 my uncle had a friend that was selling a 76 280 with a v8 and fresh paint for 1500. My father would not let me get it. "To Fast" So... I was givin a 1976 datsun 710 sadan! Yes I know totally ugly! They dont look to bad restored but this one was rusting out and all that jazz! I had her for a year till I got a better car. Then Finally got a stock 76 280z last year that I have now. Also just got a 75 280 parts car. FUN FUN FUN!

Member ID
    CZCC-15363

I will be 41 on May 6, I raced Datsun 1200's in the mid 80's at Portland and have always had the Jtin bug. I remember fondly beating the all new at the time IROC Z Camaro at the highschool drags in Woodburn Oregon sometime in 86-87... I have even fonged a few 944's back in the day. My daughter (14) and I wanted to celibrate my midlife crissis by going raceing again... not alot of options here in Western Montana... pretty much auto-X. What better than a Z? We looked for 2 years and found our current example on craigslist sitting in a barn in Eastern Washington (Spokane). We love it... well I do. And hope to make it to Canby again this year. The best part is the comradre we find wherever we go. This car can start conversations just sitting at a stop light, and in this day and age it is nice to hang out with floks of the same intrests.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2636 copy.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	262.0 KB 
ID:	28737  
    I dunno how fast I was going.... the speedo quit at 160.
    I knew it was out of oil.... it quit smoking

Member ID
    CZCC-15469

I'm 22 and my 240 is the second car I've owned. From 15 until 20 I owned a 1987 Toyota Pickup SR5 Xtra Cab. Great little rig, lifted 3 inches, 33" tires, light bar, oversized bumpers. I sold it on eBay to a guy in Montana a year and a half ago. And shortly thereafter I picked up my Datsun. Been a member here ever since.
    ***PREVIOUSLY OWNED***
    1970 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-01704
    71,000 Original Miles

- Jon

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I'm 52 now, and the 240Zs I've had these past 3.5 years (2 parted, 1 keeper) are "my" first Datsuns. But lots of Datsuns that weren't mine in my past. My wife had a '74 B210 when we got married in '77. While we planned to take my car on our honeymoon, my car broke a few days before the wedding, so the B210 was taken instead. Would that small sedans these days routinely got 40+ MPG like that car did.

Plenty of other Datsuns with family and friends in those days. Several pickups (520, 620 and a couple 720s), a 280Z, later 210 and a 610 come to mind. I test drove a new 280Z w/5 speed in '78, but at 21 with plenty of speeding tickets under my belt, I couldn't afford to insure it.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-10882

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff G 78 View Post
    Very nice Z Goose!
    Thank you sir. It's just a plain humble Z-Car.....

Member ID
    CZCC-16714

Im 26. alot of my fascination with Z's stared with watching SCCA they have a sleek design and reminds me alot of the old aston martin vintage. my first car was a hand me down mitsuBitchi eclipse. typical drive it fix it then drive it fix it some more. after the 4th time it broke down i kicked it to the curve. BUT the first car i ever owned as in bought with my own money was my 92 civic hatchback had a stock look to it other than the turbo prelude engine in it. to compare thats like putting a supercharged v8 into a Z. i was able to sell my hatch for a profit thanks to a rich kid and fast and ferious( im Asian and i found the movie somewhat insulting). anywho the civic was the first car i owned and fixed on my own she will alway hold a place in my heart. after that i owned a mazda p5. thats a long story... than i bought a 97 subaru impreza to fix up and now to date i bought a z. i still own the subie anf have lots of plans for her.

Member ID
    CZCC-18323

Looks like I'm the oldest at 62. That fact alone now makes me feel like ****! I've owned hundreds of cars, my first one was Mr. Blue, a 1950 Ford coupe that I got when I was 15. My Dad paid $50 dollars for it and I spent $200 on a metalic blue paint job. Restoring cars has been my hobby every since but I usaually end up losing or not making much of a profit when I sell one. To me it was never about the money but the fun of working on them. I've mostly owned Chevies and Fords but a few foreign cars as well. I've three 914's a 944 and a Boxier. Street Rods was my love with my last two being a 40 Ford and a 60 El Camino. Last year this month I had a heart attack and have since stopped building cars for the most part except for the 1972 Datsun 240Z that I bought my wife Sue a few months back ( Sue is much younger and better looking then myself!) I had bought her a 2008 Honda 2000CR for auto crossing but when she fell in love we road racing this past year I knew we needed a dedicated race car as she was too nervous on the course in her new car. I found our 240 on ebay, it had been a student trainer at a race track in Ca.. Sue loves the car in fact I just finished loading it on our trailer for an autocross event tomorrow. They'll be around 60 cars there and I hope Sue will finish in the top twenty percent as usual. The car handles well but she's still working on getting used to the wheel hope in tight corners as the spiders gears have been welded. It road races very well and even managed to run a few Porsche's into the ground last event. I enjoy reading the posts on this site and at times wish I too was restoring another old car. I'm interested in finding out why the one guys car won't rev past 4K!

Member ID
    CZCC-15388

I'm 55 going on 25... Every morning I look in the mirror and ask myself, "who's the old guy in the mirror?".

I bought my 1st 240, a 1973 in January of 1980. Drove it for 8-1/2 years. Sold it when I took an after work / weekend Masters program.

Bought a 1971 240 needing restoration in 1987. Had it for about 6? years till it was hit while parked and totalled.

Bought my current 1972 240 in December of 2007. It's just a few months from completion if ll goes well...
    Julio
    1972 240Z (in-progress, 95% complete)
    CZC# 15388

Member ID
    CZCC-15588

Great responses as predicted 5 and dime , excellent thread !
    Hello pit crew guy , I spent last week in las Vegas for a lacrosse tournament with our teen son's club , what a awesome time we had . I had my camera everywhere we went hoping to see a Z but only saw a zx and it was pulled over in a parking lot by the state police so I didn't go searching for shots like I would have normally . I imagine cruising the strip in vintage jtin would open more than a few eyes !
    see ya
    Chris
    71-z , great for me , awesome for the parts store , hey I'm helping the local economy !

Member ID
    CZCC-13827

I turned 56 in January. I purchased my 1976 280 new in February of that year after looking at a couple of vets. I didn't like the vet because of the way I had to look over the hood bump and the high fenders, so I went with the Z. I traded in my 1972 VW beetle that I purchased new for $1995.00 and sold it for $1550.00 to buy the Z.

I drove the car for 4 years as a daily driver until I got a company car. I would drive the car on the weekends and every now and then during the week in the summer months. Around 1986 I had moved and had no room for the car and put it in storage in 1990. At that time I was working for my self as a professional photographer and did not have time for the car, so it sat until spring of 1999. At that time I had to revive the car from the long storage.

To get the car back to the way I wanted it I had to do some minor engine work on the injectors, clutch and exhaust system. I also wanted the same dealer installed duel mirrors that I removed in 1986, I found them in Nevada and had them painted the same color as the car in the summer of 1999.

I found this site around 2 years ago and now look here every day to learn more about the car. I was able to drive to the ZCCA event last year in Cleveland and was fortunate enough to get 3rd place in street modified first generation. Who would have guessed.

I have been one of the fortunate ones to have their first Z and I always will because the car is so addictive.

Love the site and all the free info., thanks.
    Michael 11/75 - 76-280 - HLS30-281,114
    Web site -Click Here and ORIGINAL OWNERS OF THE 280Z (1975-1976 -1977 - 1978 - ONLY) REGISTRATION[

Member ID
    CZCC-17783

I'll be 53 in April. Growing up in rural S. Texas I did not actually see a Z until 1976 although I had read about them in the car mags. A friend at TAMU took me to an autocross in his '70 and I watched him blow the mustangs and vettes out of the parking lot. Decide then and there that a Z would be my next car. Two years later my wife convinced me that a Thunderbird should be my next car, no room for babies in a Z.

Graduated from college, joined the real world of work and kids, and finally bought a '70 Z in 2006. I have been working on it ever since and loving every minute. I have put it into commuter duty for the last several weeks until my next Z shows up from California.

I bought a BMW Z4 coupe last week. It is more like the 240Z than either the 350 or 370 Z. Long hood, straight six, simple interior, correct dimensions. Test drove a 370 and it was an absolute beast... too fast for an old guy like me.

Great site; lots of help; good folks. I met Frank (from the Woodlands) last week at a car show. Nice car, nice guy.

Member ID
    CZCC-18590

I'm 33 and this is the first Z that I have actually owned, though I have coveted many over the years.

My father bought a 71 240 brand new after waiting on the list for 3 months. Growing up, and still today, despite all the cars he has owned he still talks about his 240 with special reverence.

I have always loved the looks of the S30 and have thoroughly enjoyed working on and driving the one I have now. I foresee many Z's in my future (and my backyard).

I look forward to dad's next visit when I get to hand him the keys to the 240 and watch his light up like mine have so many times in the past.

Daniel in NW FL
    1972 240Z (Soon to be turbo w/T5)
    1983 280ZXT (Donor Car)

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Quote Originally Posted by pit crew guy View Post
    Looks like I'm the oldest at 62. That fact alone now makes me feel like ****!.....
    You shouldn't feel bad about that. Like they say, being 62 as you are or 58 like I am and being alive sure beats the alternative! Besides, we 50+ and 60+ year olds can tell stoires that the younger ones won't really get because they haven't 'been there'. Like being able to buy a car for $50 and actually driving it home. In fact, I drove my first car, a 58 Rambler American that I paid $50 for, for three years until my uncle overheated it and then hosed down the engine to cool it.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Quote Originally Posted by pit crew guy View Post
    Looks like I'm the oldest at 62. That fact alone now makes me feel like ****!
    There are a good handful of active members here that are older, and a lot more right behind you, so don't feel so bad. I'll be 59 this year and can relate to your story, as it sounds a lot like mine. It was a little more than a year and a half ago that I also had a heart attack. A warning shot across the bow, that limited my abilities somewhat even though the passion for the hobby never wanes. This is my first and only Z other than a parts car but I have admired them since I first saw one in the showroom of Downtown Motors here in the summer of 1970. A friend of mine bought that 240Z, which was reminiscent of Randy Mally's Green/Butterscotch Z. It was the first one I drove and it left such a lasting impression that I decided to make this my retirement restoration project. Taking longer than originally anticipated but moving forward.

Member ID
    CZCC-13359

Default My member name says it all...MidLifeCrisiZ

Going on 45 this summer.

Remember the station wagon's with the jump seat way in the back that you sat in facing out the back window? Well that was our family people mover, artificial wood grain panels and all...well I would press my nose against the back window and stare at all the cars going by and make faces at those tailgating us. The Z was one of those cars as a kid growing up you just looked in awe as you saw one driving by. Always thinking...someday...well that day came 2 years ago.

The neat thing about living in the midwest is you don't see many running around as most have found a place in that other thread..."out to pasture". Had mine out for a quick run today...sunny and 55 degrees (warm for Wisconsin)...had the typical thumbs up, stares and awes by the local kids. The neat thing was my 13 year old was along for the ride...all he kept saying was, "this is so cool" and "I can't wait until I'm 16". And the cycle starts all over again. Someday hopefully he can be passing a similar memory. Can't buy that in any store...

Not getting old...just more refined!

HLS30-24574 3/71 and donor HLS30-124816 9/72

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisiz View Post
    Going on 45 this summer.

Remember the station wagon's with the jump seat way in the back that you sat in facing out the back window? Well that was our family people mover, artificial wood grain panels and all...well I would press my nose against the back window and stare at all the cars going by and make faces at those tailgating us.

Your last name isn't Griswold is it?

Member ID
    CZCC-10665

45 as of the 14th of this month....my wife wishes I would act my age now.

Member ID
    CZCC-14809

I'm 50. Bought my first Z, a '73 in Tucson AZ in 1980. I had a friend, Rob Smith of RPS Performance Products that was into imports and smaller cars like I was and he bought one shortly after that. We had a lot of fun modifying and driving our cars. It's the car that took my wife and I to Las Vegas to get married. A new baby, house, and the wife not liking to drive the Z due to the triple Webers not having a choke and being a little finicky on the bottom end and I ended up selling her to a friend. The Z, not the wife. Anyway, I purchased my second Z, another 73, about ten years later and it was my daily driver for several years. I had a '75 280 for a while, basically bought to fix and sell, and an '81 280ZX that became a drivetrain donor for the '73. I ended up selling that one before moving out here to Indiana in '98. I was going to need a car that would get me back and forth from Lebanon to Purdue in West Lafayette in the snow and ice while getting my engineering degree, and I wasn't going to have a good place to store the Z for a few years, so I sold that one too. Now that I have the space, time, and money again I have my current cars, a '72, and a '72 parts car. It's like coming home again as I've spent close to 200,000 miles behind the wheel of my first 2 Zs.

Steve

Member ID
    CZCC-844

I'll be 50 in July, DANG!!! I saw my first 240Z in 71 when my father purchased a new 510 4-dr sedan. I remember telling my father we should get one. I got the 510 in 77 and had it for four years. Got my 240Z in 92. It's still a project car that seems like it'll never get painted. I joined the IZCC around that time and met a lot of the veterans around here including Mike.
    Bryan Pilati
    1971 Datsun 240Z (8/71; 920 paint)
    IZCC #583; TZCC #16; CZC #110
    I'm never serious unless I should be.

Member ID
    CZCC-12927

This should make everyone feel better except "Pit Crew Guy" I'm to be 61 this summer. Still a track day guy and looking for more speed. My goal is to be that guy that everyone points at and says ..."don't let that old man fool you, he is faster than..... !!".

"72 240 with brake, spring, shock, transmission, rear end, sway bar, and radiator mods. Looking for more horsepower.

Member ID
    CZCC-10133

I turned 40 in October. This is my second Z, I owned a '76 280Z back in 1986, which I drove for 3 years until I was a sophomore in college. It was a great car, and I had 3 other friends that all had similar cars (2 '77s and a '78 in my group).

I was in the market for a Jag E-Type about 5 years ago, but kept losing out to higher bidders. So I decided a Z would be a fun toy, and purchased my current car. I also ended up with the E-Type, but the Z gets much more attention!
    '72 240Z HLS30-73667 (sold)
    '66 Jaguar XKE FHC, numbers matching
    '67 Honda CL77 305 Scrambler, 8,000 original miles

Member ID
    CZCC-16373

I'll turn 29 in November.

I've loved the S30 ever since I was 14, when I helped one of my friends get his early 260 2+2 running. In August of '05, I got fed up just enough to drop a 240SX I bought the previous summer, and while I was driving home from getting the AC repaired (unsuccessfully) for the 3rd time, I spied a nice looking 300ZX. I picked up my Z32 (twin turbo) then, and thought that would be enough for me.

In May of '06, I got married, and in June of '06 my wife was expecting our first child. We decided then to start looking for another solid Z car, so that both of us could drive Zs to the z club meetings. The looking gained a bit more momentum when my boy was born in February '07.

Luck and good contacts got me in touch with a lapsed member of the Albuquerque Z club, who was looking to sell his '71. I went, without high hopes or deep investment, but fell in love. In retrospect, taking money out of my portfolio to buy the car then was probably the best financial decision I've made to date.

Now, with 2 kids (newest born in November of '08), I just have to hope we (and by "we", I mean "the wife") don't decide to have any more kids, because we're out of seats in the Z cars, and I'm not a big fan of any 2+2s.
    Last edited by Jehannum; 03-16-2009 at 12:04 PM.
    Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tinfoil underwear!

Member ID
    CZCC-15981

42 going on 21...

Member ID
    CZCC-9729

51 and 52 is coming like a freight train.
    I first saw a 240 when my brother brought his home in 1973 - it was a 70 (he recently told me that he bought it for $800), I was instantly smitten and it stayed with me till I bought my first one in 76.
    I thought about these cars for many years after selling the first one, finally I bought one a few years ago. I now have two and I can imagine getting a 70 and maybe a ZX turbo befor I finish.
    The 77 is probably going to stay stock, 73 - is going to be modded a little, but they are both going to be drivers and get lots of miles. I still love the look and driving them.
    Cali 4/77
    NA 9/72
    FA 90 300TT
    C220 Mercedes 96 (DD)

Member ID
    CZCC-14342

Hi

Iam 30 years old, i was hit by Z love, when i was 18 years old and got my license driver. My father gave me a car and after i stopped at a gas station a saw a very good blue 240z for sale and at that time i tried to convence my father to trade the new car car for the "old one".

I even took my mom there to see the car, but efforts were not enough. At my 26 years old i bought my 240z, that i love so much and hope to have it all my life...

Z is the best

Member ID
    CZCC-14244

am i the youngest?, im not even 21 im 20 ive been a z owner since i was 17, I normaly like the 510 more then the Z's when i was 14 but when i saw the rocky auto Z i fell in love with the z and loved the jdm look and thats how i hope to make my z look!
    Last edited by FairladyZS30; 03-16-2009 at 05:13 PM.
    1972 Mustang mach 1
    1972 240z
    1973240Z
    1976280Z

Member ID
    CZCC-768

Iwill be 57 this june started my love affair working at a datsun dealership in 1969 in high school.i drove tr6 ,datsun, fiats cars all the time back then just loved the 240z the most graduated in 1971.first bought a 1972 240z in 1979.than owned 3 parts cars.bought the 71 i have now back in 1984 i am in the process of restoring it 903 blue with a blue interior,began restoration early 2007 .just cant part with this car since its a71 and i graduated in 71 so it will stay in the family for a long time. a funny story back in 1990 i was driving my z on a winding back road 530am doing about 85mph and a cop stop me .told me to be cool driving he did not give me a ticket because he also had a 240z and know how much fun i was having.just thouhgt i would share that story because we all know how great it is to drive these cars.thank to all z owners for this moment carl h

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

Kick ass you and I are about the same age FilipeA

Member ID
    CZCC-7417

Well, in an informal survey done about two years ago in a similar thread

we had:

The Youngest member age 14, Ian, "Agemeansnothing"

Oldest: Ken, 75.....

Best Looking: Me.....
    George

73-240Z, Original Owner
    Triple Mikuni Carbs
    5-Speed
    3.90 Diffy
    2:58 inch Exhaust
    Tokico Shocks/Springs
    105 Amp Alt
    MSD 6A ignition/coil/wires
    4 Core Radiator
    McIntosh Audio

Member ID
    CZCC-15462

I'll be 28 next month. My Dad bought a '73 510 new before I was born. He autocrossed it quite a bit until his children arrived, but he still took my sister and me for drives on the weekends. I'll never forgot how cool it was and decided that I needed a Datsun of my own so I bought a z almost two years ago. I attached a picture of the 510 from 1980 very shortly before Mt. St. Helens blew. Unfortunately he sold it to my older brother who managed to wrap it around a pole long before I could have ever driven it. My Dad said he wished he would have bought a 240z in retrospect.

Marc

Name:	P1030414.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	28790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030415.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	28791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030416.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	28792  
    Last edited by warcmalla; 03-17-2009 at 07:54 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

Drats!!! Love that 510!!!

Member ID
    CZCC-6449

seems like we did this awhile back, but i don't mind to give a short life history of my z addiction.

i am 53 and bought my first z after former President Carter had interest rates around 21% back in 80 or 81.

it was a 79 280ZX and i loved that car. and paying that kind of interest, you know i wanted it bad.

sold it after getting married, in 82. fast forward 20 years or so, and we begin another love with the Z.

when my daughter got to high school, all of a sudden the old 92 Sentra that was handed down to her wasn't cool anymore, so the wife and i thought it would be neat to put her in a Z, like we had way back when we first started dating and honeymooned in.

not finding one nice enough, we switched from looking for a 79 to a later model, 88 SS shiro. i flew out to Sacremento, CA and drove that one back. the only problem was, after driving all those miles coming back to Arkansas, i fell in love all over again with the Z, and returning, i told the daughter sorry, but this is too fast, too rare, and its' mine.

we found another Z down in Dallas, a 93 300ZX na, and again, i flew down, bought it, and drove it back. and everything worked out great, because my daughter liked the looks and ride of the 93 better than the SS.

she drove it for several years, and then sold it to her fiancee'. who still has it and loves it also.

my daughter is now in a '93 300 vert, and it is a pretty nice Z, after getting new leather on the seats, and a new top.

the SS was sold, and is now in another Z fanatic's hands, and i bought a '74 260Z 2+2 which looks ruff, but has a rebuilt engine, 5 speed tranny, and four wheel disc brakes. one day it will be in the paint shop and have new interior, and it will be a really sweet ride.

my oldest son, inherited the old '92 Sentra with around 400 thousand miles on it, and was driving it back and forth to college, until he was hit head on, and totaled the car.

accident wasn't his fault and he is now in a '02 Sentra SE R, and loves that car. i figure one day the 260 will be his.

i also just recently purchased a '69 2000 roadster, and it is my pride and joy. it is so neat, cruising around town, and getting all the questions as most people in these parts have never seen one of those and didn't even know it existed. i have one more son, and i figure that he will end up with that one day, as right now, he loves to cruise in it with dad.

the wife is driving a '01 Maxima SE and she says if they ever come back with a manual tranny like she drives now, she might be tempted to trade.

and lastly, i work out of a '01 Frontier, which has rolled over 380 thousand miles on it after buying it new.

all vehicles in the driveway are Nissan or Datsuns, and last Thanksgiving, when everyone was home, i pulled them all out in the front lawn and got this shot. wow, i just went on and on and ,,,,,,,,, are you sorry you asked?

Name:	roadster.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	347.3 KB 
ID:	28793  
    Last edited by sleepyzzz; 03-17-2009 at 04:04 AM. Reason: no picture
    '74 260 2 + 2 trying to get it together
    '69 2000 roadster
    '00 Maxima SE for the wife
    '93 300ZX convertible - daughter's car
    '02 Sentra SER-4 -son's car
    '10 Frontier, my work truck
    '88 300ZX SS, my ex
    '79 280ZX my first one, sold after getting married

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

Great family photo!!! Looks like a nice roadster as well

Member ID
    CZCC-894

Still hanging in!! Will be 76 on September 6th of this year. Many of you have seen the SilverBullet240Z at many of the shows and conventions. Its appeared in 45 or more shows. Its driven from Canada to Texas. Never trailored. In 2006 it was driven over 6,000 miles between May and the end of June. From NH down to the Tail of the Dragon and then down to Dallas-Ft Worth for the convention. Last summer won the Larz Anderson Automotive Museum, in Boston, Best of Show, on Japanese Car and Motorcycle Day. Best Japanese Import at the Make A Wish Foundatio Classic in Boston. Appeared in NJ and Ct shows and was awarded two 1st place trophys in the Import Car Wars. Really enjoy driving the car around the country. The winters are the most difficult to take here in NH. We had 100 inches of snow this winter. Hope to have the Bullet out on the road by May, myself included!

ken
    Silver Bullet 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Ken, you and the Bullet should come out here to Oregon some time. The Datsuns NW show in Canby is in early June, we'd love to see you!
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-18705

One Z previously in the family when I was about 13. A 260 2+2 with a built 2800. Mum put us into a low speed roll over. (no shoulder road with a nasty drop-off). A few locals new it had the hot engine and hounded mom until she sold it. My interest has primarily been in the v8 swaps, but the Z I own now is so clean it will probably remain L6 and I'll just pick up another fox body mustang to have my v8 fun with.

thor

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Ken - I love the SilverBullet240Z and what you are doing with it... DRIVING IT!
    You are a true inspiration to us who are just getting into Z's and hoping to put some serious milage on our cars and smilage on our faces.

Member ID
    CZCC-10882

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Still hanging in!! Will be 76 on September 6th of this year.
    Ken is my hero. I hope I can still turn the steering wheel in 20 years when I match his age.

Enjoy the ride !

Member ID
    CZCC-14126

ZIII.....Is that your 51? I had a friend in Wadley ,Georgia who had a 51, a bearcat and two B-26's. WE used to tease him that all he needed was to find a weak country!!!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7600346077563/

70, 71, 2 72's, and a 73 240z....
    90 300zx and a 1996 Acura NSX.....but who's counting?

Member ID
    CZCC-18856

i'm 23, and this is my first Z. bought in january.
    1976 280z Automatic

my 280z flickr set

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

28 me, Friday December 19th 1980.
    Ruby 33, October '76 ^_^
    ~Z~
    Last edited by WingZr0; 03-19-2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

ウイングゼロ 競争 GangLoadOParts.com

Member ID
    CZCC-14596

24x2 My first Z, 1978 280z 2+2 I've wanted one since the first time I saw one in high school 1978.

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Quote Originally Posted by WingZr0 View Post
    28 me, Friday December 19th 1980.
    Ruby 33, October '76 ^_^
    ~Z~
    That's it, make me feel old! You're 4 months younger than my som.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

Notice my dad hasn't posted his age yet he-he.

I better be careful though He always told me he believes in abortion up to age 30. I have 2 months to go

Member ID
    CZCC-14126

Ever notice the young guys think this thread is great.......The nice thing about being 60 is that we lived the magic! You can paint and restore, but we were there to see 'em in the showroom and smell 'em when they were new. There is no substitute for the excitement we experienced in driving a new Z (mine was a '70 silver with black), or seeing John Morton, Bob Sharp and company blister everything on the track at Road Atlanta (I was on the Esses for every lap in 70 and 71). National champions and still number 1 in my heart. I've got 3 and still can't get enough of these awesome cars!! Thanks Brandon.......payback is Hell!!!!
    Last edited by Diseazd; 03-19-2009 at 03:40 PM.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7600346077563/

70, 71, 2 72's, and a 73 240z....
    90 300zx and a 1996 Acura NSX.....but who's counting?

Member ID
    CZCC-7491

I'll be 42 next month and doing what I can to hold back Father Time. I had my first Z, a 76' 280 about 22 years ago. Had to sell it to 'help' pay for kollege, that was a sad day. After graduating with a four year degree...several years later, I did something called marriage and then a few years later did something better called divorce, she just didn't fit. So, after living in a shoebox apartment after that episode I scraped for about three years to save money to by a house. BUT, I vowed to myself that I would find a house with a two car garage that would give me enough room to work on another Z someday. A few years later I picked up a 78' 280 in very good shape integritywise and had all the major body work done. My intent was to buy a 73' 240 but the asking price was too high for the ones I was looking at. I'm slowly getting it back together with new bushings, springs, struts, disc brake upgrades, and picked up a '83 ZXT motor also. I'm a day away from getting the rear strut towers back in...getting there.

I guess it's the same thing that hits all of us, when you drive one of these the feeling never leaves you so in addition to never letting go of your childhood, I wanted that feeling back since the day I sold that Z over 22 years ago.

I'm getting there and can't wait.....

Website needs a huge upgrade but I'll get to that also.
    http://www.project280z.com
    78 280Z Restore in progress
    95 Pathfinder XE 4X4

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

There is no substitute for the excitement we experienced in driving a new Z (mine was a '70 silver with black), or seeing John Morton,.........
    Bought a new 240Z in Jan 1970 and met and spent hours talking with John Morton, Frank Monise, Pete Brock, Tom Davis, R.I.P. (Aviad oil pans), et al. at the BRE shop in El Segundo, Ca. Got free stuff from them like Interpart and BRE caps and T shirts that people would kill for now. Wish I still had them; the shirts, caps, and, of course, the car.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-18981

I'm 22. 23 in Jan.

Member ID
    CZCC-1614

I'll be 43 this year.

Saw my 1st 240Z when I was 12, one of my dad's friend's had a Lime one.. Luv the sound of the I 6 since then...

Bought my 1st 240Z in 2001 (Orange/White) sold it for a brand new WRX in fall 2001.. (stupid me...)

Bought my 2nd one in May 2008 (Lime/black) , and still keeeping it on a guilty sin...
    Will fix it mechanically this spring.. Can't wait for the snow to disapear...
    C:\Ancien Disque Dur\Albums photos\Autos Divers\240Z Guy 2008\10.jpg240Z..

FAST & CHEAP = NOT GOOD
    CHEAP & GOOD = NOT FAST
    FAST & GOOD = NOT CHEAP

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

I have shirts that are older than some of you guys
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-18981

Quote Originally Posted by sblake01 View Post
    I have shirts that are older than some of you guys
    I am assuming that I am one of those youngsters.
    I was actually really surprised to see that there were only a couple people my age. I do understand that it is an older car and not from my generation but it is SOOOOO GOOD LOOKING!!

Member ID
    CZCC-8980

Just turned 50.

I remember going to sit in the 240-Z back in 1972. They used to chase me out of the dealer until I got a 510 brochure for my 4th grade teacher and he bought the car. I was welcome to sit in as many Z-cars as I wanted!

My first Datsun was a 1969 510 I bought in 1976. From that point I 've always had a Z or another Datsun/Nissan in the family: Currently in the stable:

2001 and 1987 Maximas
    1971, 1973 and 1985 Z cars
    The boys have theirs, I got one too. 71 & 73 240Z, 1985 300ZXT

Member ID
    CZCC-4376

60 is the new 40
    9/70 HLS30-10734

Member ID
    CZCC-16299

I'm 39. Back in 1988, I had an 84 Monte Carlo SS. One night after work, my buddy and I had a little rat race across town en route to a bar. He was in his 78 280z- green with tan interior. I always liked his Z... Anyway, I was holding my own at around 110 mph when I threw a rod. What a god awful sound! I had little money and needed another car. I was thru pouring money into that Chevy. Remember, GM build quality back then was poor at best. I figured, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I found a really nice '76 with a good paint job for sale in the grocery store parking lot. $3500. Seemed a little high at the time. It looked great, drove well, and was simply a much better car than the SS. Looking back, it was the best car deal I ever got. I was hooked! I hopped it up and drove it like I stole it. After rolling it on an off ramp at 115 mph and totalling it, I was off to find another. Got a black 78 with wire wheels. Loved it, too. Got T boned by an old lady in a Cadillac, who ran a stop sign, while driving down St. Charles Ave in New Orleans. Sold it and began saving for the next one, which turned out to be another 76. After spending lots of money getting it all fixed up, and getting a really nice paint job, I proudly drover it for many years. I foolishly took it with me to New York, where I exposed it to way to much salt and sand. The cancer came back. Years later, after moving back to Texas, I got stuck in a horrible traffic jam. The car overheated, and steam came billowing from the tailpipe. Head gasket was blown, and the head was warped. The mechanic who fixed it screwed me and the car. I sold it for parts to a father and son who were to use it to ressurect another Z. They came to find it in better shape than their original car, and restored it, yet again. Two years later, they showed up at my work, and asked me to come outside. Immaculate she was! All the rust cut out, perfect paint, Panasports, new struts etc... God, I was so jealous.

By this point in my life, I was driving an Acura TL. I needed something reliable, with good A/C. For years after seeing my old car back on the road, I, in the back of my mind, hoped that someday I could afford a play toy/second car. Of course, I wanted another Z.

Fast forward 9 years to 2008. I found my orange series one. I've had it for a year. I absolutley love it. In fact, it is an obsession. I'm on here everyday. I watch Ebay for parts I don't even need. Most of all, I simply love driving it. I love the history, the lines of the car, the quirks of the car, the thumbs up I get all over town. Once you've owned a Z, well, you know where I'm coming from. You must, because you are reading this right now. It's great to be back in a Z. I plan on keeping this car till death does us part .

Member ID
    CZCC-1608

41 I am.

Saw first zed when about 11ish I guess. Thought is was one of the coolest cars and as it was owned by our neighbour, I got to hear it heaps. Never got a ride in it but peering through the hatch at the centre gauges is burnt into the mind.
    Zed not Zee

HS30-00352 still being rebuilt (year 6)
    HS30-101370 chopped in half

CZCC #1608

Member ID
    CZCC-8319

I'm definitely one of the 'second generation' youngsters around here, clocking in at 22.

I first heard of the Z when I was on vacation with my family in northern Minnesota, and tradition demanded that every year I build a model.

Now in the years previous, I'd done a '69 charger, '55 Nomad, '68 Thunderbird, and that particular year the hardware store had very few options as far as models of cars were concerned. However, one did manage to catch my eye, and that was a model of a Datsun 240z. It was the coolest thing they had, so that's what I got.

The picture on the box was orange, but immediately I knew this was a car that would be better in silver. I never finished that model. My dad remembered the cars though, having mentioned something about there being a 'better' version that came out afterward, the '280z'

Fast forward a few more years to my last month of highschool.

My mother and I were driving back from school (I didn't have my own car at this point), to get my sister (from middle school, gross) and on the corner I saw a gleaming red 280z. Encouraged by my mother (for whatever reason), I checked it out and wrote down the phone number.

The next thing I did was come here!

With advice and and things to look out for, I examined the car a second time and walked away from the deal-totally disappointed, having realized that thing was rusting to pieces.

I graduated, got some money, then began my search for a 280z ... I even looked at a 280zx too, but just two months after my first encounter, I found my silver '76 280z .... with just 83,000 original miles... and I've had her ever since.

The guy before me was not a Z-nut, so I've managed to fix a few minor nuisances in the mean time... but yeah, that's my story.

I hope I can have more Z's in the future, even possibly a Datsun roadster!
    Silver '76 280Z Daily-Driver - "Lindsey" -- HLS30286119
    The Miracle Car! -- Spared from disaster TWICE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfadog
    Z - 2
    Trees - 0!

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Quote Originally Posted by KDMatt View Post
    I'm definitely one of the 'second generation' youngsters around here,.......
    What does that mean? I thought 'second generation' referred to someone like myself whose parents were born in another country.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-8319

Quote Originally Posted by sblake01 View Post
    What does that mean? I thought 'second generation' referred to someone like myself whose parents were born in another country.
    Oh, I had no idea it could mean that actually. I just meant that there are 'first generation' Z-owners (i.e. people who were of age, or close to being of age when the cars were produced) ... and 'second generation' (the 'children' of the generation that was of age).

...so Baby Boomers vs. Gen Y maybe?
    Silver '76 280Z Daily-Driver - "Lindsey" -- HLS30286119
    The Miracle Car! -- Spared from disaster TWICE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfadog
    Z - 2
    Trees - 0!

Member ID
    CZCC-10384

I am 19, bought my car at 15 after falling madly in love with a local mechanics silver 240z. I set my heart on his but at 15 years old his $5000.00 price tag killed the dream. so i became a pro at ebay and bought 1973 online for $500. I got what I paid for at the time but I have also been re-paid ten fold by the memories I have with my father working on it and all the rides. It's no show room car but it is my most prized possession and I would rather die in my car than sell it or crash it. It is quite possibly the most obnoxious shade of grabber orange but I fell in love with it and no one could talk me out of it. My car sort of defines me, it's got its quirks but its got way more personality than most can deal with at one time...

Member ID
    CZCC-19034

I am 41 now, here is a short sinopsis of my Datsun endeavor

@16 I got my first Datsun (1200 Sedan) but got stolen
    @19 I got a 70 510 which was impounded by mistake and never recovered! (had it for over 10 years
    @28 I got an 87 Sentra, which was featured on the Low Rider magazine! It got totaled parked outside my house!
    @30 I got a 1998 Altima, which I still drive!
    @32 I got an 87 Maxima
    and @39 I got a 74 260Z as a b-day present!

I have always been around Datsuns/Nissans! An now more than ever I'm hooked on my Z!
    Last edited by VITAMIN Z; 04-15-2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling

1980 Datsun 280zx 2+2 mazingerz1976's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-8482

I was borned in April 1st, 1976. 33 now and in love with the Datsuns since 1983 when my dad purchased the 260C (Cedric 230 GX) from 1973. I own a 1980 ZX since 2005 and i love it, now it´s stripped waiting for the paint.

Camilo
    Camilo Monroy L.

1980 280ZX 2+2
    1982 Bluebird 910 hardtop
    1973 260C hardtop

Member ID
    CZCC-15137

Default Curmudgeon...

Probably the oldest among us at 64 11/12 years. Bought my Z 15 April '70. 00721. Drove the literal dog crap out of it. Sold it in '77 with the provision that if it ever came up for sale, I had the right of first refusal. Well, it did, and I bought it back in 2007. It's now a pristine show car with liberal track hours. I know, that's a dichotomy, but it's nice. The keys will only leave "my cold, dead hands."

And like another poster said, it's like I'm 26 again...my happy place.

BTW, check out www.texaszparty.com for information about Texas' Z owners having a big shindig at MSR-Houston on Father's day weekend.

Frank
    First & Third owner of HLS30-00721
    B. 01/70 D. 03/12

New owner of HLS30-15653
    B. 12/70 D.

Frank in Houston, Texas

Member ID
    CZCC-18904

I'm the new guy on the block but I've been a car nut, and motorcycle nut for a long time. I am 28, 29 in the next month or so.

At 17, I bought my first car, my 1970 Camaro with money I made working for marie calenders. I finally sold it a couple years ago when I graduated college. It needed too much to fix the cancer and I wasn't in to spending the money on it. I do admit I miss that car, but it went to a loving home.

When I bought my Honda a couple years ago, my Toyota became my next project. I bought myself a 110 MIG welder and taught myself to weld. It's still in process (need gears and front axle shafts) but I'm doing a solid axle swap on it. Essentially cut off the front independent suspension and weld on leaf springs for a solid front axle

My '73 is my long awaited return to classic cars and rear wheel drive. It doesn't hurt these things do pretty well on gas. Sidedrafts are new to me and learning is half the fun for me

-lover of all things mechanical
    -Andy
    1973 HLS30-166105
    RB20DET swap, HKS GT2530 turbo, HKS Actuator, Hallman MBC, ebay intake manifold, ebay dump pipe, straight pipe, 14 psi boost

Member ID
    CZCC-18886

Turned 19 December 08

Purchased 1978 280z this April 09

my Z story has just begun....

Member ID
    CZCC-20041

I see that this post is rather old... but what the hell.. Im 19 and just bought my first car. A 1976 280z. Best decsion i ever made! I love working on it and the whole experience is a lot of fun. I get a lot of help from my dad so thats really nice.. Well take care everyone! Good luck with future cars/projects!!

John

Member ID
    CZCC-3849

Default Time machine

I'm 21, for the third time! When I get in my '70, rev it to 5k and side step the clutch I''m back on the first time around!
    Bought my '71 back in '73. Most fun car I ever owned. After the older kids were in college I set out and found my #4884. I drove her home from So Cal to Reno and got a big smile and wink from a young girl. A little rusty and beat up and I've been working on her ever since. I now own 4 Zs and my '77 is almost ready for paint.

Name:	Picture 079.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	31926  
    theramz

Member ID
    CZCC-1821

I'm 53.
    First Z was a new 1974, 260z (gold)--sold in 78
    Second Z was a new 1978, 280z (silver) (5spd)--sold in 86
    Third Z is a 1977, 280z (brown #301)(5spd)--bought in 2002 with 29k mi, currently 53k mi

Many moderate upgrades including 260 deg cam, Crane HI-6 ignition, 16" Panasports with Toyo TR1s, rear disc brakes, 2.25" stainless exhaust, Tokico shocks with stock springs, heavier sway bars, new bushings all around

Runs great. I've taken it to the big track at Mosport 5 or 6 times with great success!

Name:	280zpics 001.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	284.6 KB 
ID:	31928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	280zpics 002.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	31947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	280zpics 008.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	31948  
    Last edited by dga; 10-01-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-2520

Hmmmm,
    Methinks we've been here once before.
    With Ken at 76 years young, that puts me in second place at 66, (going on 25).
    I bought my "Precious" in 2000. She who must be obeyed spotted her in a used car yard in Brisbane, pointed it out to me and it was love at first sight.

"Precious" had been well looked after by her original owner, (I'm the 2nd owner), so she only needed refreshing. I had her painted in her original #301 and, on my SWMBO'd suggestion, she was given a top coat of Gold Pearl which really makes her glitter in the sunlight.

Fortunately, I've recently found a mechanic who did his apprenticeship on Zeds and worked on them for years, so "Precious" will be given a short rest from dodging angry 4x4's and other jealous drivers while I get some work done on her.

Rick.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER.
    SINCE IT'S IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER.

Member ID
    CZCC-7417

Quote Originally Posted by Diseazd View Post
    ZIII.....Is that your 51? I had a friend in Wadley ,Georgia who had a 51, a bearcat and two B-26's. WE used to tease him that all he needed was to find a weak country!!!
    How I wish the 51 were mine.... unfortunately not.....
    George

73-240Z, Original Owner
    Triple Mikuni Carbs
    5-Speed
    3.90 Diffy
    2:58 inch Exhaust
    Tokico Shocks/Springs
    105 Amp Alt
    MSD 6A ignition/coil/wires
    4 Core Radiator
    McIntosh Audio

Member ID
    CZCC-20008

It asked for a quick reply. Well, this will be way too quick to get into any detail.
    I was born 5 days before Pearl Harbor was bombed, you do the math. But that
    didn't affect my eventual choice of where my car was manufactured, because in
    the meantime I had several cars (VW's and Karmann Ghias mostly) which were
    made in Germany and Italy, who were also on the other side in the War and also
    the nations of my ancestors.

Eventually in early '71 I totaled my '69 Bug and the prices of VW's just having
    gone up dramatically, I had to settle for "one of those cheap Japanese pieces of
    tin," which was the reputation at that time. I had in mind for a 1200 hatchback
    or a 510 2-door, but when I saw that orange Ferrari-looking car in the left rear
    corner of the showroom, I had to have it. Long story short, after great debate
    with the salesman, the sales manager, and the owner (in that order), I jumped
    over about 20 people who had placed deposits and were on a waiting list. I got
    the "leftover" '70 that they were keeping for display. I still have my "cheap Japanese piece of tin" to this day, and it has been anything but.

I have always been interested in low VIN's since a friend of mine had XKE #38
    since new. I decided to be alert to opportunities to see how low a VIN Z I could
    find, and found a beauty in Aug '73. I then outdid that in Aug '76 and now I have nowhere else to go.
    Last edited by Kathy & Rick; 10-18-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) since 8/30/76
    1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) since 8/24/73 28K mi
    1970 (#01905 2/70) since 1/24/11
    1970 (#06289 6/70) original owner
    1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
    1975 280Z (#01343 1/75) mint original
    1971 PL-510 2dr (our 160Z) since 12/31/75
    1969 1600 Rdstr (another 160-Z) since 10/3/10

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy & Rick
    I was born 5 days before Pearl Harbor was bombed...
    An interesting tie in to that rather long winded response is that the attack on Pearl Harbor was referred to as Operation Z, by the Japanese Imperial General Headquarters.
    Regardless, that post was
    Last edited by sblake01; 10-18-2009 at 02:07 PM.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-20179

I am 19 years young!

Bought my first Z (and my first car) just four shorts months ago. Found my 1976 280z on craigslist, it was love at first sight! I live in southern NH, drove up to Campton NH with a trailer and my younger brother (17) to get the old Fairlady. I look forward to working on this car, and being its owner, for years to come!

Hooker for hire
    Member ID
    CZCC-20388

Well I am 24, so far i have owned a 75 280z, and most recently a 240z. cars before that included a 88 toyota pickup, 93 bronco, 69 chevy truck. I saw a 280z roll down the street a few years back, and it just looked so beautiful, and then i saw the video of the supercharged lt1 on youtube. I have been hooked since. Other than the z cars, i own a toyota tacoma double cab 4x4, and a mazda six as the grocery getter. parting out the 75, building the 72.

Formerly known as Koalia Reverend's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-20168

Im 25 yrs. This 72-Z is my fifth car, others were -81 b310 4d (still got it), Cherry(sold, was a piece of ****), Volvo 740STW (sold) and Volvo 940STW(daily driver).

Now the "second" generation has started to import more and more Z's. I know many "first" generation dudes who were drooling for Z's in seventies and now we youngsters got their dream cars. Crude.

Member ID
    CZCC-19264

I'm 25 this year and long story short, I first saw the Ralph Lauren's Ferrari 250GTO in a museum and fell in love. Of course I can't afford it so I looked at the factory five type 65 kit car, still too expensive and was giving up hope. Luckily a friend of mine has a 300zx and brought me to the Z meet in Texas and saw the 240Z and I fell in love. Searched on Craigslist/Ebay/ any car websites you can think of for over a year. Couldn't find a 240Z so I went to look at 280Z. I went to this house with the listing for a 280z and saw a 240Z, 260Z in pieces, and 2 280Z at that place. 280Z couldn't start and since I drove more than 2 hours to look at it, the owner felt bad so I ask if he was selling the 240Z. He agrees after a bit and the rest is history (4 months old and more historic moments to come).

I guess the story wasn't as short as I thought.. sorry fellas

Member ID
    CZCC-18199

i'm 41...currently own a 78 black pearl 280z.....my first was a 74 260z at age 18
    2nd was a 71 240z that my ex wife took during our divorce..b....h!!......3rd was 83 280zx..probably the best z i ever owned.....

Member ID
    CZCC-20401

I thank I might be the youngest z collector on here I'm 18 I'll be 19 on may of 2010 I've had 8 cars 7 nissan's 4 z's and 1 hyundai. My 1st car was a nissan maxima from 91 and fell in love with nissans and my 5th was my first z it was a 03 350z and I sold that and now I own a 96 300zx tt,84 300zx AE, and a 78 280z. So yea I go to highschool and work at subway alot. That's pretty much my story

Member ID
    CZCC-19552

^^ Haha damn that's alot of cars for your (our) age.

I'm 20, bought my 71 240z last summer, towed it over from the west coast of FL to Miami, and got it barely running before I had to leave for school. I'm going back home now and hopefully with some elbow grease this winter it will be roadworthy!

Previously had an 87 supra, and an 87 Mr2, so I've been a Toyota guy, but damn..the 240z is sexy.

Member ID
    CZCC-7312

Well, I guess that I fall in the middle. I am 45 and got my first Z in when I was 20, it was a Silver 1978 Coupe. My next one was a 1981 ZX Turbo, I then took custody of my girlfriend's 1979 ZX. Got married to the girlfriend, sold my Z's for closing costs on a house. I promptly found another Blue 1978 coupe which is what my wife calls the "2800 lb. Mistress" and a parts car that turned out to be a Black Pearl. One thing though, since my wife was a "Z Chick" back in the day, I rarely get hastled about buying goodies for my mistress.

-Andrew (ZCurves)

Member ID
    CZCC-20584

28 this past November.

My first car was a '92 Saturn Mistake which I bought at 16. After blowing two engines out of it, I didn't own a vehicle until my junior year of college, a Volvo 850 turbo. Around this time, I moved to Indianapolis, and got to meet my neighbors who were both working on SR-20 swapped 240sx cars. Went to a couple of events with them, then started to get the bug. Wound up getting a 2005 Sentra S when the Volvo needed some hefty repairs.

The bug took a couple of years to develop. Really liked my Sentra for what it is, and developed a taste for Nissans. But, I have a appreciation for the 60s-70s cars, too. After researching cars for a while, I basically narrowed my choice in cars to pursue to 67-73 Mustangs, or a S30 2+2. After going on a car cruise through the hills in southern central Indiana, I decided to go for the better handling of the two.

After watching the online sites for months, I discovered a 280z in Oklahoma (over 600 miles from home) that fit my budget, and looked like a really good deal for the price. Convinced one of my friends to bring his truck, borrowed a trailer from another friend, and made the trip.

Thread Information