Thread: New reproduction tail lamp assembly available

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

Default New reproduction tail lamp assembly available

There are very limited production of tail lamp (Euro/JDM type)assembly reproduced in Japan since last October. I bought one set for a friend mine, and look identical to original ones except for Koito name. These are assembly with new harnes(harnes conectors are JDM version, so you need to change that) It costs 76000 Yen in Japan(so it cost appx. $775.51 at exchage rate of 98 Yen=$1 USD Plus shipping. If I have 3-4 express shipped at once, I can supply them at $835 or so after import tax, insurance, and shipping cost). If anyone is interested, please let me know.
    They look identical to original even the plastic texture, unlike lense sets we see. I wish the cost is cheaper than that considering NOS ones can be found every once a while for $900-1200. (FYI If you bought this in Japan, you would be paying 76000 Yen Plus 5% tax 79800 Tax)
    Once again, only if you are interested.
    Esprist

Member ID
    CZCC-14427
    Denmark - in front of my coffee, behind the laptop

Esprist, i would be interested in the harness, it got to be the same as the Euro, or at least close to.

Chris
    -73 240Z HLS30-171039
    -66 Roadster SPL311-05204

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

Default Last call for ordering very limited productiontail lamps

Quote Originally Posted by 2 fast 2 Z View Post
    Esprist, i would be interested in the harness, it got to be the same as the Euro, or at least close to.

Chris
    They only made 50 or so pairs to cover shops supply, after this lot, it might be all gone. They said that it was very hard and not cost effective to make them in perfect shape. I can only buy 5 sets. If you are interested in, please let me know. I will have them ship shortly. So far all the big US vender will not carry them due to profit margin.
    Esprist

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Do these reproductions include the chrome strips? The reproductions of the US versions did NOT...

if they include the chrome strips - then $835 per pair seems reasonable to me. Too bad they did not reproduce the North American versions...

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

Default Tail lamps

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck View Post
    Do these reproductions include the chrome strips? The reproductions of the US versions did NOT...

if they include the chrome strips - then $835 per pair seems reasonable to me. Too bad they did not reproduce the North American versions...

FWIW,
    Carl B.
    They come in assemled with JDM harnes. Quality of the lenses are better than original with today's technology, and chrome strips look perfect as well. I will try to get pictures soon. I wished US big suppliers buy lots and sell them to everyone at lower cost....

Esprist

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Note that the JDM light harnesses will not plug into a US wiring harness. US harness has four (4) terminals, but a JDM needs (and has) five (5). Some mildly creative wiring is needed to use the JDM lights with JDM harnesses on a US car. Basically you need to run a separate brake light wire from the brake switch to the rear, and bypass where the brake circuit goes through the turn signal and hazard switches. Not too hard to do, I can provide details to those who want it. I've done it on my car (with some slight differences).
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-3356

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Note that the JDM light harnesses will not plug into a US wiring harness. US harness has four (4) terminals, but a JDM needs (and has) five (5). Some mildly creative wiring is needed to use the JDM lights with JDM harnesses on a US car. Basically you need to run a separate brake light wire from the brake switch to the rear, and bypass where the brake circuit goes through the turn signal and hazard switches. Not too hard to do, I can provide details to those who want it. I've done it on my car (with some slight differences).
    May be a good idea to post the info, I'd be interested in reading it.
    '70 240Z - HLS30-08215 - Production Date 8/70
    '70 240Z - HLS30-06293 - Rusty and has Identity Crisis (must have been wrecked and the back 1/2 sectioned in from a later car maybe even a 280Z)...PARTS CAR!
    '71 240Z - HLS30-018482 - Production Date 1/71,Corvette Yellow, driven under a 4Runner, bought for parts, hit lotto with parts on car, may fix and put back on road

My Photo Gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I'll see about writing it up and posting it in the Tech Articles section.

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Hi Arne:
    There is a write up on the Z Car Home Page by Mark Ross, that tells how to wire in the Euro Spec tail lights..
    See: http://ZHome.com/ZCMnL/tech/TailLightsEuroWiring.htm

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I didn't do it that way exactly. What I did was a bit simpler, and required no cuts, splices or changes to the car's wiring or switches. I did have to sacrifice a pair of spare tail light harnesses, but not my originals. I can revert to stock easily, and with no after-effects. My way even allows you to do a semi-divorced brake and turn signal circuit that works with US all-red lights, but increases the rear visibility (IMO).

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by texasz View Post
    May be a good idea to post the info, I'd be interested in reading it.
    Posted it in the tech articles.

Modify US 240Z rear turn signal wiring (JDM-style)

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

Default 10 more days or so

Quote Originally Posted by esprist View Post
    They come in assemled with JDM harnes. Quality of the lenses are better than original with today's technology, and chrome strips look perfect as well. I will try to get pictures soon. I wished US big suppliers buy lots and sell them to everyone at lower cost....
    Esprist
    They are going to shipped from Japan today, I will post some pictures in next 10 days when they arrive.

Esprist

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

Default Limited Reproduction tail lamps are here

They are here. Incredibly close to original one.
    Only difference would be the harnes(JDM ones), Koito name, and color of silicone.......I just figired the cost including tax, wire fee, import tax and all. $875 a set.

If anyone is interested, please PM. I could only buy 5 sets beside my keeper set.

Esprist
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4568.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	30671   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4569.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	30672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4570.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	30673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4571.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	30674  
    Last edited by esprist; 07-02-2009 at 01:32 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-3312

That's amazing, I wish I had the extra cash sitting around.
    -Andrew

03/72 240Z HLS30-70xxx - R.I.P. 2011/01/04

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

They only made 50 or so pairs to cover shops supply, after this lot, it might be all gone. They said that it was very hard and not cost effective to make them in perfect shape.
    They look very good. I wonder why they don't get MSA or someone to sell at least the chrome strips. I would think there would be enough demand for entire assemblies (red over red version) if they could make them in larger quantities and lower the price some.

-Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    They look very good. I wonder why they don't get MSA or someone to sell at least the chrome strips. I would think there would be enough demand for entire assemblies (red over red version) if they could make them in larger quantities and lower the price some.

-Mike
    I would not say which specific venders here, but there seems to be cost VS Profit issues. If you mark it up from $875, it will be something like $950?
    And if you keep 20 sets in stock, that is $18000 on the shelf.
    Besides, the company who made them are not planning to make them for a while after this lot. They has so much difficulity putting together all these pieces to make a set. (There were too many unusable part in the production process,(not all of them turned out as good as what you see now) so I heard.
    I wish big vender will order 100 sets or so, we can buy them for $350 a set or so.

Esprist

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

I would not say which specific venders here, but there seems to be cost VS Profit issues. If you mark it up from $875, it will be something like $950?
    And if you keep 20 sets in stock, that is $18000 on the shelf.
    Besides, the company who made them are not planning to make them for a while after this lot. They has so much difficulity putting together all these pieces to make a set. (There were too many unusable part in the production process,(not all of them turned out as good as what you see now) so I heard.
    I wish big vender will order 100 sets or so, we can buy them for $350 a set or so.

Esprist
    Yes, I'm sure making the entire assembly is very difficult to do right. I wonder what they would charge for just the chrome strips though. Most people's lenses are usually pretty good, and there are no market color and wiring variations to deal with if they only reproduced the chrome strips. If they could make just the strips for a reasonable price, I'm sure they would be able to sell quite a few through major vendors.

-Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Agreed. I'd probably buy a pair of the chrome trim just to have in case, even though mine are fine.

Those lights do look damn good, though...

Member ID
    CZCC-3312

Well, we at least had some company (here in the states?) making the lenses as sold by CDM and MSA. The backing is almost always a-ok (in every case I've seen), so that really just leaves us for want of new chrome strips.

I would say I would be in for a pair of strips, but if the demand is as low as I imagine it to be, it would be a hard price for me to swallow for such a small part
    -Andrew

03/72 240Z HLS30-70xxx - R.I.P. 2011/01/04

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

Quote Originally Posted by Inf View Post
    Well, we at least had some company (here in the states?) making the lenses as sold by CDM and MSA. The backing is almost always a-ok (in every case I've seen), so that really just leaves us for want of new chrome strips.

I would say I would be in for a pair of strips, but if the demand is as low as I imagine it to be, it would be a hard price for me to swallow for such a small part
    Those made in new zland lenses are, I believe, on back order since last Oct, or so.......By the way, the color of these ones are way better like original one.

I will put this on "for sale" section later.

Esprist

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

Default New reproduction tail lamp assembly available

So far, I sold 2 sets. I still have 3 sets here.

Esprist

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

Default Euro Tail lamps

So far, I sold 2 sets. I still have 3 sets here.
    Esprist
    I managed to get 3 more sets if anyone is interested in.

$875 plus shipping $15?

Esprist

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

Default Reproduction US Tail light Anyone interested?

Currently we are working on getting US Tail lamp assembly made at same quality as the limited production Europeantail lights.
    Esprist
    Visit my blog & rare parts from Japan at
    www.jdm-car-parts.com

Thread Information