Thread: Any body have an Original 5 speed shifter knob?

Registered User dntpunchgrandpa's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-19288

Default Any body have an Original 5 speed shifter knob?

I dropped a 5 speed tranny into my 240z and am looking for an original wooden with the white and black circle diagram like those on the late 280z's to replace my 4-speed knob. Looked around and theres nothing on the net. Any have an extra one lying around?

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Hard to find here in the US, as they never offered a 5 speed in a 240Z here. At one time new-datsun-parts.com had them, but they are listed as Out of Stock now.

Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-19288

yea id seen that and actually talked to the guy there, but it looks like ebay might be by beat bet.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

I bought one before they became unavailable. The original 5 speed shift knob was part number C2865-E4100. I am curious myself about the physical dimensions of this original 5 speed knob. I have never seen one compared to the superceeded replacement as shown in the pics, which is much larger and also has a different look on the lettering and circles. The color is not what I expected either. I was kind of bummed and even considered having it chucked in a lathe and turned down, but thought better of that, since I did lay out a tidy sum for it. So far, I just keep it for the purpose of conversation. Here it is next to a 4 speed knob for comparison.
    Last edited by geezer; 02-14-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Ron, I've never seen an original 5 speed knob in person either. But your pictures of the five speed knob look exactly like my pictures of the current replacement 4 speed knob. I'd guess that the original 5 speed knob was really the same as the 4 speed but with a different emblem disk.

Member ID
    CZCC-17326

Mike McGinnis, Banzai Motorworks, cheap and nice walnut shift knob with 5 speed pattern. Bought one for my 73 resto last winter :

http://www.zzxdatsun.com/catAccessories.php

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by mikemerkury View Post
    Mike McGinnis, Banzai Motorworks, cheap and nice walnut shift knob with 5 speed pattern. Bought one for my 73 resto last winter :

http://www.zzxdatsun.com/catAccessories.php
    Ahh, the old Amco knobs. Nice, but not original.

Member ID
    CZCC-6600

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    I bought one before they became unavailable. The original 5 speed shift knob was part number C2865-E4100.........
    The part number that Geezer references is on page 105 of a very extensive parts list dated 12-22-09 at a place called MJP-Eastern Auto. Here's the link:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...6589184b2a79e1
    Steve

Member ID
    CZCC-10882

I ran a 5-speed in my car from '74 to '77, then again from '82 to present. I can't remember if the knob in the photos was from the '74 install, or a different knob that I used for the '82 install.

Anyway, the maximum diameter of this knob is 1.58" - don't know if that makes it the old one or the larger newer one.

FWIW

Last edited by Goose52; 01-04-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Added another photo
    HLS30-89526 6/72 original owner

Looking for 1 more ATS 15x6 mag...

Member ID
    CZCC-10882

After posting the photos in the earlier thread - I got to thinking so I went out to the garage, opened a cabinet, dug to the back and found the "Z-Parts Box" - opened the box and dug down to the bottom of that and found the box shown in the photo. This would be the box the 5-speed knob came in - and inside the box was my original 4-speed knob from 1972. I have a feeling that my 5-speed knob is from the '74 time frame...

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Quote Originally Posted by Goose52 View Post
    After posting the photos in the earlier thread - I got to thinking so I went out to the garage, opened a cabinet, dug to the back and found the "Z-Parts Box" - opened the box and dug down to the bottom of that and found the box shown in the photo. This would be the box the 5-speed knob came in - and inside the box was my original 4-speed knob from 1972. I have a feeling that my 5-speed knob is from the '74 time frame...
    Wow! That is just too cool! Wanna swap that old worn out 5 speed shift knob for a shiny new one?

If you ever need a hand to clean out that garage...
    Last edited by geezer; 01-04-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

Goose52,

Yours looks like the original thinner version. When I bought HLS30-00237 a couple of years ago it had an early 5 speed knob on it. The transmission tunnel wasn't hacked up, so I was hoping it had the type A 5 speed installed. No such luck, it was just the original type A 4 speed. Here are some pictures from the dark garage.

-Mike

I ran a 5-speed in my car from '74 to '77, then again from '82 to present. I can't remember if the knob in the photos was from the '74 install, or a different knob that I used for the '82 install.

Anyway, the maximum diameter of this knob is 1.58" - don't know if that makes it the old one or the larger newer one.

FWIW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	335 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	33639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	308 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	33640  

Member ID
    CZCC-10882

Wow! That is just too cool! Wanna swap that old worn out 5 speed shift knob for a shiny new one?
    Ahhhhh - let me think about it - hmmmmmm, ahhhhh, hmmmmmm, ahhhhh - that would be no!

Glad I could show you guys the real deal though ....

Member ID
    CZCC-2148

Goose,
    The 4-speed knob you have is, also, an early shift knob. If you would like to rid yourself of this, let me know. Been looking for one of these for quite a while.

Dan

Member ID
    CZCC-10882

If you ever need a hand to clean out that garage...
    Not too much early stuff out there - just some take-offs as I modified the car. Some of the parts I gave away over the years - wish I had some of it back - like my original console ashtray and ashtray cover!

Formerly known as Koalia Reverend's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-20168

For some reason Nissan offered 240Z with 5-speed gearbox here in Finland. But look at the shifter knob.. This pic is from car magazine, July 1972. So the car must be from 71 or earlier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fin72.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	277.1 KB 
ID:	33641  
    -72 240Z "Goldie"

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

All the more reason for me to not worry about finding a Type A 5 speed for my car. Because once I had the transmission I wouldn't be totally happy until I acquired one of the small original 5 speed knobs for it. Since the knobs appear to be harder to find than the transmissions themselves, I best not even start.

Member ID
    CZCC-10882

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-240z View Post
    Goose,
    The 4-speed knob you have is, also, an early shift knob. If you would like to rid yourself of this, let me know. Been looking for one of these for quite a while.

Dan
    Hi Dan - I'm going to keep it for a while. It's the original one from when the car was new in '72 and was only used for a bit less than 2 years as I put a Datsun comp 5-speed (and an R-190 4.44 LSD) in the car in mid-'74 or so. I should display that knob in my den ... next to my original '72 steering wheel, which is also in great shape as it was also in use for less than 2 years when I first installed a leather-wrapped steering wheel.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by Koalia View Post
    For some reason Nissan offered 240Z with 5-speed gearbox here in Finland. But look at the shifter knob.. This pic is from car magazine, July 1972. So the car must be from 71 or earlier.
    The console is the '72 type, so that car is apparently a '72. Don't what that knob is from, though.

And actually, the 240Z and other S30 models were available with 5 speeds from the beginning pretty much everywhere else in the world, other than North America.

Member ID
    CZCC-2148

Hi Dan - I'm going to keep it for a while. It's the original one from when the car was new in '72 and was only used for a bit less than 2 years as I put a Datsun comp 5-speed (and an R-190 4.44 LSD) in the car in mid-'74 or so. I should display that knob in my den ... next to my original '72 steering wheel, which is also in great shape as it was also in use for less than 2 years when I first installed a leather-wrapped steering wheel.
    Goose, sounds like that's what I would probably do with a nice, original part from my car. Please pardon my little tongue-in-cheek inquiry as I, also, have a few little treasures which I drag out occasionally anticipating the time when they finally find a home in my car.

Dan

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    All the more reason for me to not worry about finding a Type A 5 speed for my car. Because once I had the transmission I wouldn't be totally happy until I acquired one of the small original 5 speed knobs for it. Since the knobs appear to be harder to find than the transmissions themselves, I best not even start.
    I don't think it is that difficult to find a Type A 5 speed. I come across a few every year. It's the shipping costs and replacement parts that nix the idea for me. Not economically feasible or practical today when there are viable alternatives for a lot less. I envy Goose, who made some nice upgrades early on.
    Arne, you could start sweet talking Mike. That looks like a nice early 5 speed knob he has. Either that or he is getting pretty good with the new camera.

Poor dntpunchgrandpa is missing the feeding frenzy! Seriously though, the tip from lonetreesteve is a good one. MJP-Eastern Auto is operated by Mike Feeney in the UK. He is the guy to talk to. He is a member of Zclub.net (user name - Mr.F) and very good at finding parts. E-mail: mike@mjpauto.com
    Last edited by geezer; 01-05-2010 at 09:12 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-10882

I envy Goose, who made some nice upgrades early on.
    Yikes - don't envy me too much! It's true, in 1974 I bought a Datsun Comp WR OD 5-speed, driveshaft, and R-190 4.44 LSD through a mechanic friend at a dealer who got the whole package for $650!. HOWEVER, I only ran that set-up through 1977 when I pulled it all out and ran a 331ci small block Chevy. I ran the SBC until 1982 when I ran into some smog issues and other problems with the swap and decided to put an L6 back in the car so I went with an L28 out of a '79ZX and another Datsun Comp 5-speed which I'm still running today...

And there are indeed some parts issues with the Comp box.... I double-clutch downshift always to save the syncros as I don't think they're available any longer .... (plus, double-clutching sounds cool )

Member ID
    CZCC-19288

geezer amen to that! I had no clue this thread would take off like that. Took me a good 15 minutes to read up to speed. Still looking but fruitless at the moment. I realize its more of an aesthetics thing but I've been looking to swap out that 4 speed knob for the 5 speed knob for a while now. Poked my head in ebay and found lots of new old stock 4 speed shifters but no original wooden 5 speeds

heres the links if anyones interested

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSU...#ht_1653wt_648

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSU...#ht_1653wt_648

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Default Early Shift Knob Profile

Well, I figured I would attempt to duplicate the early knob profile, by turning down my superceeded replacement knob.
    First pic is my 3/8'' Dewalt drill clamped in the vise with the knob threaded onto a bolt that I cut the head off (poor man lathe). It took about a half hour to bring it down to shape, using a file, then graduated grits of sandpaper. I tried some ebony stain on it but the walnut grain doesn't accept it too easily. I sprayed a single coat of clear quick drying poly, then buffed it. Still not an early one, but better than it was and good enough for my Z.
    It wouldn't be too difficult to bring one of the new version 4 speed knobs down to size either.

Member ID
    CZCC-10882

Wow - looks great! Where there's a will...there's a way!!

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

That looks great Ron! I have wondered if that could be done, but you are the first I have seen attempt it and it looks really good. I like the poor man's lathe too. Do you have an original 4 speed knob to compare it to?

-Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-19288

geezer wow that looks great. im impressed.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Thanks guys. More shaping could have been done to get it closer but the translucent lettering gives it away anyhow. The before pics would be in post #4.

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

It seems like the base of the newer one is just a little wider, so not quite as tapered. If they weren't side by side you probably couldn't tell the difference. My Dad has a lathe in his shop, and I've thought about asking him to give it a try on a spare newer 4 speed knob I have. One of these days....

-Mike

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Yes, the base is a bit wider on the newer one as well as overall being a touch taller. A real lathe would be much better to use, as I did have a bit of offset wobble going on. That's why I didn't try to shape it any further.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Thanks guys. More shaping could have been done to get it closer but the translucent lettering gives it away anyhow. The before pics would be in post #4.
    At least the typeface (font) of the new 5 speed appears to be correct, unlike the typeface on the new 4 speed knobs. Good job!

Member ID
    CZCC-4258

Here's one for sale on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Last edited by zcar70; 01-06-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-17003

i use my 4 speed knob on mine because the green color matches the car. i keep the 5 speed knob in the car. I wait for the day to tell someone, "its a 4 speed. here let me switch to the five speed" then just change the knob. see how long they take to think about it...
    --------
    2004 Honda Insight - Commuting, 65mpg Hybrid
    1976 Datsun 280z - Fun. mpg? who cares.

Thread Information