Thread: What do you think about this car?

Member ID
    CZCC-19072

Default What do you think about this car?

Tell me what you think of this car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320487624707

Member ID
    CZCC-17819

Looks very straight for a 36 year old car. I would see if someone in Texas can go look at it for you. I would ask for some pictures of the battery tray area, floor pans from inside the vehicle, spare tire drum, vin plates, close ups of dog legs and inside rear wells, I would also question why there is no emblem on the rear deck.

Also, the foot pedals are a good sign of wear on a car. If they look well worn I would guess that it might have a few more miles on it than 57K, if they look relatively new I would guess the mileage might be correct.

As the seller states the 260 was limited to 1 year of production but the number of people collecting 260's is much less than the number collecting 240's. Keep that in mind when bidding on the car. Supply and demand, not as much supply for this one but also not as much demand.

Good luck.

John

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by rskdsk View Post
    Since the ad in the classifieds here is posted by you, why don't you tell us about your own car?
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-19072

I am looking for input from others on the ad. I'd like to understand what might turn people off of the car, what you see that does not look right, what I could add/subtract from the ad. You guys here are great at picking out things that I would never think of.

As for the rear emblem ... good point. Thanks, never thought of that

Member ID
    CZCC-17426

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Since the ad in the classifieds here is posted by you, why don't you tell us about your own car?
    Oh snap!

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

I am looking for input from others on the ad. I'd like to understand what might turn people off of the car, what you see that does not look right, what I could add/subtract from the ad. You guys here are great at picking out things that I would never think of.

As for the rear emblem ... good point. Thanks, never thought of that
    Might have been better to start by being straightforward and saying that you're the one selling the car. The fact that the eBay as says San Antonio, TX and your forum location says Pittsburg though that's likely TX rather than PA might cause some confusion. Confusion isn't a good thing when you're trying to sell a car. In the past, I've seen that sort of thing cause more discussion about the method in which the ad was posted that about the car being sold.
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-20776

Never seen a 260 with the early 240 style bumpers and the 280 grille. Not sure if they came that way.
    Jim

1977 280Z HLS30 371558 production date 1/77

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Looking at the pictures so far, it is obvious that it was a late-74 260Z that originally came with the big bumpers. The early-style bumpers are a later conversion. That's not a bad thing in and of itself, but seeing something that is obviously a significant modification always puts me on the suspicious side when a car is being promoted as "original".
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-20605

Vin indicates late 260Z - grill, valance and parking lights are correct. 240Z bumper mod is nice - should be a selling point! Carpet is also late 260Z.
    The 260Z's did sit high in the rear end. But, this car sits a little higher than I remembered. Shocks or springs re-done wrong? Or not. I also dont know if the late 260Z had the 280Z struts, which could be affecting the ride height if there was wrong parts put on. 260Z's are the red-headed stepchild's when it comes to part vendors listings as to what year fits - is the part in question 240Z or is it 280Z???

Pics of the underneath of the car show no rust floorboards - I am extremely jealous and this appears to be a good car. BTW, there is a 280Z floating around Austin for sale for the last few moths that has close to the same color. That seller is down to $5450. There are a couple of other 280's for sale in San Antonio that are not selling either. Point is that the prices are down a little right now in Texas IMHO. Ebay might have been a good choice. Good luck with the auction.
    Last edited by oldhemi; 02-13-2010 at 10:00 AM.
    Original owner of early '74 260Z that was rode hard and put away wet. Gonna try to revive it from a long sleep. I am old enough to know better - right, like that's ever gonna happen.
    Pictures of La cagada marrón

Member ID
    CZCC-19072

When I got the car it came with the chrome bumpers, but you'all are right it is a late 260z and should have big ugly bumpers. In the box of parts I have 2 flat top carbs, a intake manifold, linkages, big rubber bumper thingies, and a blue (yes light blue) air cleaner, and the rear Datsun & 260z emblems ... I was told that these are all the orgininal parts for the car ... but obviously the original bumpers seem to be missing. I never looked under the car until I took the photos ... wow I was really surprized to see how clean it was. It looks like this car must have been well cared for it's whole life. The only disappoint thing is the paint and dash. The paint does have it's issues and the dash does have cracks ... but at least I am being upfront in the ad ... unlike others who would just try to make a quick buck. This car was given to me for payment of a 4k loan a few years ago ... hopefully I can get it back. I seem to have one bidder, lets see if it keeps going.

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

Wow, that other gold 280 floating around in the Austin area.... I think that might be my beloved old Z that I bought while in college -- the same Z my ex made me sell!!! Could it be? Maybe? If so, then it's too cool for words. I've emailed the owner.
    Last edited by FastWoman; 02-13-2010 at 02:56 PM.
    My last three sports cars while I still owned all three:

2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i soft/hard top (sold)
    1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (sold)
    1978 Datsun 280Z (enjoying very much )

Member ID
    CZCC-17819

Quote Originally Posted by sblake01 View Post
    The fact that the eBay as says San Antonio, TX and your forum location says Pittsburg though that's likely TX rather than PA might cause some confusion.
    I read this post quickly and looked at his location. Now that I know it is his car I really think he was just trying to get attention to his ebay ad.

With that said, I would never pay 4 grand for non-stock, modified 260. You can get a decent 240 for what he is asking.

He should have asked "what do you think about my car/ad?"

Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Member ID
    CZCC-17819

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post

I feel violated.

Doesn't Obama have a bailout program for people that feel violated?

Member ID
    CZCC-19072

I wrote that I am the seller ... read all the post and you'll see ... not trying to violate anyone ... but I think you are right, Oboma will save you and you will probably even be able to collect disability for that as well.

I thought 4k was a good price for a clean, solid, original (ecept the bumpers and carb), unaltered 260z ....

240Z & 280z are nice, but everybody and thier mother has one!

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

Quote Originally Posted by leftover z View Post
    Never seen a 260 with the early 240 style bumpers and the 280 grille. Not sure if they came that way.
    Actually the front bumper is a 260 bumper. But from a early 260. If you notice the license plate is not centered like on a 240Z.
    I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dieing. CZC 1887 IZCC 12602 Member of NorthWest Z Car Club

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

The car looks straight at least from the pictures. I like what someone earlier said would want both pictures of the battery area and floors, and have some Z driver that lives in the area have a look and report back to me. Before I sent and money. I have done that for buyers that were looking at Z in my area. Saved them round trip air fair, a couple of times.
    One thing the driver seat bottom, the foam in the seat bottom is shot , likely from the summer heat and the passenger seat is vary likely the same way. The dash cracks look like more than a minor repair. But overall $4K I think looks like a good starting figure. Especially for a low mileage Z. My 2 cts.
    Gary
    I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dieing. CZC 1887 IZCC 12602 Member of NorthWest Z Car Club

Member ID
    CZCC-9360

Looks to be a pretty nice car overall and I believe $4000 is fair for a nearly original 260z with little to no rust. The undercarriage looks pristine and I"m sure there are plenty of buyers who will appreciate the benefits of that alone. The one thing that might keep you from getting that number is the dash and the auto tranny, although the latter could also be considered a plus since autos tend to be driven a little softer than manuals.

One modification I would make to the ad is the descrition of the seats. They are not "like new". Instead, I would state the the vinyl is in excellent condition, (assuming that it is) but the inner foam needs to be replaced and is readily available from multiple sources.

Good luck with your sale.
    Last edited by =Enigma=; 02-13-2010 at 09:42 PM.
    =Enigma=
    CZCC#9360
    4/73 - HLS30-156236

My name is Adam and I'm a Zeeoholic!

Member ID
    CZCC-19072

Great catches ... so the bumpers are 260Z bumpers? That is good to know, even if they are early 260Z bumpers ... at least they are from a 260Z.

Member ID
    CZCC-17819

Great catches ... so the bumpers are 260Z bumpers? That is good to know, even if they are early 260Z bumpers ... at least they are from a 260Z.
    Bean dip said the front bumper looked correct for an early 260, no mention of the back.

Also, where do I sign up for my disability? Everyone else is getting help from that idiot, Z owners should too!

Member ID
    CZCC-19498
    308 Palmetto Avenue Melbourne Florida 32901

Well
    It seems even though the mileage is proclaimed to be low it does seem to have many parts attached the didn't come with the car when sold. This might cause a potential buyer some consternation depending on how persnickitty they are about matching parts. More often than not anyone that is interested in buying is looking to modify to their taste and scavenged parts from assorted vehicles wouldn't be a reason to kill the deal. I would however suggest let the potential buyer make an offer and then you respond as you see fit. You may even get offers much higher than you expect depending on how motivated the buyer is. For instance the first modification if I was the buyer...install a 280ZX close ration 5 speed gearbox. Good Luck
    2MUCHZ

Thread Information