Thread: ebay user "Reddat" in Houston

Member ID
    CZCC-21670

Default ebay user "Reddat" in Houston

Anyone know who this person is?
    1977 280Z 5 Speed
    HLS30-388451

Do you know where my Grandpa's 240z is? He sold it around 1994. I think it was a 72. It was orange with black interior and some sort of scissors style aftermarket crank up sunroof. I think it was sold to a fellow pharmacist and I think he was from Egg Harbor Wisconsin. At the time the car had between 32-36k original miles. He sold it for the lowly sum of $3000-$3500. My grandpa passed away a few years ago and I would like to know its whereabouts.

Low Budget/High Value
    Member ID
    CZCC-20342

Search the word "reddat".

Member ID
    CZCC-5413

Apparently he bought (or still buys) parts from Nissan and tries to sell them on eBay for a large markup. Save your money and look elsewhere. A better investment is to buy the parts fiche CD from this site and contact your local Nissan dealer or one of the dealers that sell parts online (like Courtesy Nissan in Texas).
    73 240Z
    74 260Z

Blue's collection of tech tips - A great place to look for answers
    XenonS30 -The cheap source for FSMs
    Georgia Z Club
    Fiddling with Z Cars - Z car tips & tricks and pictures of my car-loving life.
    Steve's CARtography - Just car pictures.

Member ID
    CZCC-21670

I know, I was looking at his prices and figured he must live in River Oaks area of Houston (for those of you who do not know, that is big time money) He seems to provide no KY that is for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Apparently he bought (or still buys) parts from Nissan and tries to sell them on eBay for a large markup. Save your money and look elsewhere. A better investment is to buy the parts fiche CD from this site and contact your local Nissan dealer or one of the dealers that sell parts online (like Courtesy Nissan in Texas).
    1977 280Z 5 Speed
    HLS30-388451

Do you know where my Grandpa's 240z is? He sold it around 1994. I think it was a 72. It was orange with black interior and some sort of scissors style aftermarket crank up sunroof. I think it was sold to a fellow pharmacist and I think he was from Egg Harbor Wisconsin. At the time the car had between 32-36k original miles. He sold it for the lowly sum of $3000-$3500. My grandpa passed away a few years ago and I would like to know its whereabouts.

Member ID
    CZCC-10665

The guy's name is George, his prices are okay, he used to gouge on shipping. Not sure if he is still a shipping gouger or not, I would make sure to make it clear to him that you will not allow him to gouge you on shipping. I have had dealings with him selling him things. I had no problems with him, he ships out things quickly which is nice. As for his prices and where he gets his stuff, I have no opinion or expertise on that. He offers a service if he has what you want and it is a price you are willing to pay for item and for convience reasons you go with buying his stuff, and you are happy then I don't see a problem buying form him. I am not one to damage a person's business unless he or she does not deliver what they say they will. Please make sure to read the entire item description, make sure you understand that if it is new or used. There are about 3 guys on Ebay that seem to have new parts, Z-Connnection and Stock(something). Everyone needs a means to make money so they can feed themselves and thier families.

Member ID
    CZCC-21454

I bought 2 items from him recently and was able to negotiate on the price. He lowered the price considerably. It was either that or I was going to find another source. Just know your product and prices before buying anything on e-bay.

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

Get a parts manual and order yourself from your local Nissan dealer - no shipping charges and cheaper parts - being an educated consumer is the only way to go. If you are not willing to educate yourself then the only choice you have (and not saying this directly to Ben's Z, but to anybody reading this) - is buy the item from the seller when you can find it at the buyers price.

It's all about being an educated consumer!
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-5718

i believe ebay has a new policy. they now charge a percentage on the total price including shipping. this was implemented so sellers couldn't cheat on fees. i'm a buyer, not a seller. i have noticed some sellers have steep shipping so i avoid them.
    to be or not to be- shakespeare
    do be do be do- sinatra
    vehicles owned
    72 240z
    2009 honda civic exl
    1973 triumph tr6
    wife's
    2002 vw jetta
    68 390 mustang coup

Member ID
    CZCC-16082

I agree on the high prices. What I have done is e-mailed him with an offer of what I thought the parts were worth. If you are patient, most of the time he will lower the prices. And it's critical that you negoatiate shipping prices on multiple items before making a purchase b/c those shipping fees are extremely high IMO.

Member ID
    CZCC-21454

That's exactly it five&dime. There are some amazingly high shipping charges from some e-bay sellers. If you don't educate yourself on shipping charges or parts prices for that matter then you will probably pay too much.

Member ID
    CZCC-20806

I suppose I have mixed feelings when I see someone selling items for so much. I think "that is outrageous, this person is crazy" but at the same time I just think "well he is no different than anyone else trying to make a buck". Everyone does it, MSA, BlackDragon, other suppliers/services. Take MSA for example, oil pumps/alternators/filters, stuff like that you can pretty much find elsewhere for like half the price for the exact same item. Supply and demand I suppose, someone must be buying it if they or anyone can maintain the high price, I cant get mad over it because I cant afford it. Thats kind of the nail on the head I think for maintaining these old cars, you have the guys who do everything themselves, who try to maintain a nice looking car on a budget, who take pride in knowing everything about their car is personal. And then you have the guys who have the funds available to just pay everyone to do it for them. But it is still the same in the end, just different paths of getting there, we are all different. As far as shipping, Im kind of numb to it, anyone who has been around ebay long enough should be. I sure know I have bought plenty of items on ebay for like $5 but had $50 shipping charges. As long as you just think of shipping charges as part of the sale price, then no reason to worry about it. When bidding you have to take the shipping into consideration. From a sellers point I suppose I just have no issues charging a couple bucks more for shipping an item, its not as if the shipping price was not made clear ahead of time. My reasoning on this is that I just want to be fully sure I do not get jipped at the usps counter. If I charge $9 to ship an item, but the actual usps charge is $7.80, well I just look at it as that extra 1.20 just went to me getting boxes, tape, bubble wrap, and standing in line for half an hour. Especially if an auction is being started at such a low price and there is a big risk in making absolutely nothing in the transaction. I have sold my fair share of good items for .99 cents, in some cases I estimated the weight incorrectly and actually had to pay out of my pocket for shipping too. Boxing, ebay fees, paypal fees, waiting in line, and selling an item for a $3 loss kind of sucks. And getting back to the major companies again, as far as shipping, they are no different either, they all charge more than what is costs to ship. Its just people do not seem to care when its a company and not an independent seller on ebay.
    1971 240z, L28 with SUs.

Crumudgeon
    Member ID
    CZCC-798

Shipping is pain in the butt and customers know that. The only people in a transaction that make money on shipping are the shipping companies. I generally offer my customers the option of handling the shipping themselves. Just arrange for the truck to be at the back door of my shop and I'll help load it. In the 9 years I've been doing this, 4 customers have gone with that option and all 4 had large companies with great rates through FedEx or UPS.

Member ID
    CZCC-15558

I have used reddat several times over the years. His name is George Robbins. His shipping was always crazy high but he seems to have come down a bit. A few times he sent me the wrong item but he reimbursed me the shipping back to him. I only use him when there is no one else....but he has always come through for me. Oh.....he never leaves the buyer feedback on e-bay....don't know why????

Member ID
    CZCC-25044

Quote Originally Posted by jtmader View Post
    I have used reddat several times over the years. His name is George Robbins. His shipping was always crazy high but he seems to have come down a bit. A few times he sent me the wrong item but he reimbursed me the shipping back to him. I only use him when there is no one else....but he has always come through for me. Oh.....he never leaves the buyer feedback on e-bay....don't know why????
    Lazy.
    1977 280Z - Sold 10/1986
    1978 280Z - Current and forever

Member ID
    CZCC-7655

Have bought several items from him through ebay and have always got exactly what I signed up for with absolutely no problems. Shipping prices were high but I was pre warned about that through this forum. He is honest, efficient, reliable.
    With a little more leg work and research you can do better prices and I generally prefer to deal with MSA but I feel that you can also deal with Reddat with confidence.

FWIW
    Dave
    Dave
    GRS30 010961 L26 148904 260Z 2+2 5/1976 manual black driven on fine days
    RS30 000812 was L26073225 (now L28) 260Z manual 1/1974 project car (refresh only)

Member ID
    CZCC-23207

I too have bought quite a bit from ready but only on the rare things that MSA doesn't offer. No problems with them at all.
    ~Chris Tazelaar

05/72 HLS30-081275 L24-102597
    Owner since 07/05

Member ID
    CZCC-26141

There is another "guy" on Ebay that is REAL REAL PROUD of his Z-parts! he's called "Z Connection" ! I can't believe that he gets what he "ask's" for his NOS stuff??? A long time ago I was in the car business in Texas and we used to have a saying: "Where Two FOOLS met"......Him for askin it...and the other guy for payin it !! Guess that if one has a "show-car"...( TRAILER QUEEN), one MUST pay the crazy prices... What works for my 71 Z (95% of the time) is that I own 2 additional 240Z's there just for parts!

Member ID
    CZCC-21454

It's what you are willing to pay for parts not produced any more. I just hope I don't HAVE the need for anything any time soon!

Member ID
    CZCC-6369

I don't have a problem with people charging inflated prices for items because it's our choice if we want to pay it or not. He has other issues that upset me. I purchased an automatic shift handle from him that about a 2yrs ago. It was supposed to be NOS. It was not the same one that he had in the Ebay photo that he keeps using every week for over a 2 years now. It was used and had a large crack in the base. He stuffed it into a box that was way to small, so part of it stuck out which he covered with tape. I paid about 5x the actual shipping cost which wasn't listed (but again I wanted it). When I called him on it not being the one in the photo and broken he said it was perfect when he sent it and that I had to deal with the post office and that he couldn't help me and would not take it back or refund my money. The post office of course refused to do anything when they saw the ridiculous box.
    He lied about it being NOS & Perfect.
    Charged crazy shipping charges.
    Refused to back up his description.
    Continues to use false photos.
    I read all the negatives about him but when you want something bad enough you make foolish decisions.
    He still has the shifter handle on every other week with the same photo.
    Check out the thread thats titled "Ebay Seller" for other comments on him.
    After all that would I still use him? Haven't since but sometimes rational thought goes away when you need an item badley enough.

Member ID
    CZCC-22854

I just recently bought from him, smooth transaction, part was cheaper than the dealer, who didn't have it, shipping was $4.95 USPS flat rate and he shipped it UPS. I got it 2 days later with no issues and he left positive feedback. Now there is a guy called mrclassics, he shipped me the wrong parts, not what he pictred or described and busted my balls over it, watch out for him.

Member ID
    CZCC-3356

I bought from reddat once and that was more than enough. Lied about the parts, description was misleading, shipping has always been very high, and he refused to offer a refund/exchange for the parts. Will never buy from him again.
    '70 240Z - HLS30-08215 - Production Date 8/70
    '70 240Z - HLS30-06293 - Rusty and has Identity Crisis (must have been wrecked and the back 1/2 sectioned in from a later car maybe even a 280Z)...PARTS CAR!
    '71 240Z - HLS30-018482 - Production Date 1/71,Corvette Yellow, driven under a 4Runner, bought for parts, hit lotto with parts on car, may fix and put back on road

My Photo Gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-26141

True! capitalisium is a BEAUTIFUL thang! But,.....one doesn't need to send all their kids to Harvard off 1 sale......

Thread Information