Thread: What do you think this S30 is worth? 73' 240z

Member ID
    CZCC-26881

Default What do you think this S30 is worth? 73' 240z

Hi Guys,

New to the forums and looking to pick up my first S30 this weekend, but need help valuing it.

- 73' all original blue metallic exterior, beige interior. Car has 31k original documented miles on it. Basically sat in storage untouched for 25 years or so, until purchased by current owner who planned to restore it. Only rust on the car is a small spot on the drivers side firewall, the rest of the car is rust free.

- Not currently running. Current Owner (2nd owner) said he rebuilt the carbs but are not sync'd and although it starts up and idles fine its not driveable. All of my past project cars have been fuel injected so i am in the dark when it comes to carbeurators.

- Car comes with a few NOS parts that were never installed including new upholstery, badges and exhaust and more.

- The paint is in pretty good shape. Again the car sat in a storage locker for many year so It does need a bit of cleaning up. I also imagine it will need a bit of basic maintenance like replacement of fuel lines, tank flush etc...

Im basically looking for a good car to use for a long term resto mod to enjoy on the weekends.

Any idea on what it may be worth given this little bit of info?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Z-man; 04-04-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Allow me to be the first to ask, "Got a picture or two?". New upholstery kit and 31K miles don't seem to mesh. What's the asking price? Any maintenance records? Have you checked the body panels with a magnet to detect body filler? Starts, idles, doesn't move? Transmission? Ask lots of questions.
    Dennis
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-23950

No way the only rust is on the firewall....get it up in the air and start investigating. One popular spot to look is the front of the rocker panel below the cowl drain. Rust starts there and then spreads to down the inside of the rocker. Also a popular spot is in the reinforcement panel on the front inner...

Member ID
    CZCC-26881

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I too am confused on why it would need upholstery. He sent me pictures of the original title, and says he has other service documents but the interior definitly does not look low mileage and is pretty dirty (given it is the beige interior option). Either the car was not taken car of early in life, the mileage is really 130k or maybe was not stored properly. Surprisingly the dash does look to be in good shape.

Here are some pictures.

Thanks againClick image for larger version. 

Name:	tn[1] (3).jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	52556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn[1] - Copy - Copy.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	52557Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo[1] (4).JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	52558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo[1] (3) - Copy.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	52559Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo[1] (4) - Copy.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	52560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn[1] (2).jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	52561

I am going to go over the entire car for rust. I really appreciate everyones advice on how to inspect the car!
    Last edited by Z-man; 04-04-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Maybe it's just the photo, but it looks like there are serious camber issues on the rear wheel. I'd check for damage, i.e. bent parts, frame, etc.
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-23950

Is he claiming it is all the original paint? For some reason it looks like the muffler has overspray on it...looks like a decent strating point for a restoration though.

Member ID
    CZCC-19125

Default nice '73

Wow, nice looking car! Love the flattops as they are the correct carb for that year. In spite of what others here may tell you here (usually those who have never owned a Z with flattops), they run pretty well when cleaned up. Since it idles but doesn’t run well, I am guessing that the little accelerator pump on the side of the carbs should be looked at and replaced. Could also be old fuel so you will need to clean out the entire fuel system. I had gas ‘globs’ in my flat tops when first purchased. Car ran great once I cleaned them out.

The color combo is very cool. Looks like the back panel around the tail lights has been re-painted which makes me wonder what else has been redone. I would keep it as original as possible. For every dollar you use to modify the car, you can deduct that from the current worth of the car. Car can be worth anywhere from $4K to $10K dependent upon rust, previous repairs and other items that are not visible in the pics.

Rich

PS: a little clean-up on the motor would be sweet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1973 240Z motor.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	52562  
    Last edited by motorman7; 04-04-2012 at 11:36 AM.

HLS30-02614 in the Cocoon
    HLS30-40147 Very Yellow Daily Driver
    HLS30-40498 Next resto
    SPL311-27444 It lives
    http://www.rcdeng.com

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

The shift knob has a lot of ware , so the mileage is questionable ,IMO. Good luck in the purchase and be aware that Z's are addictive On what to pay for this 73 , you are in CA and prices are all over the board, check recent sales on Ebay for references and local paper for asking prices,this might help in your purchase.
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 04-04-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-2635

Did the seller give you an asking price for the car?
    H4Lights.com

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

If the car checked out to actually be rust free and had 31K miles... Cleaned up and put in fine running condition - - - it could easily be $14K to $16K today. Even as it sits with some issues related to how it starts and runs; and some cosmetic issues ...I'd be a buyer in a heart beat at $8K to $10K. If I looked it over and under - carefully and really really liked the car - I'd pay $12K..

I would always be willing to pay a few thousand dollars more - up front - for a solid, unmolested, stock/original car... Especially if I planned to refresh or restore it. To me - "The CAR" is more important than "the Deal". I've seen many guys pass on a near perfect car - just because it wasn't "the Deal" they wanted. Then they kept looking for a year or two or three more.. all to save a couple grand. That's fine if it is "the DEAL" that one is looking for. When I find the right car - I buy it. I don't have years to wait for a couple thousand dollars. {not in todays money}.

Seat upholstery - left sitting in storage - and left to collect dust/dirt - the threads can and do rot. So even if the vinyl is good - they start to split at the seams. Kept clean and cared for this doesn't happen.

I agree - looking at the rear - the tail light finisher has been refinished - and it looks like overspray on the muffler. The front bumper is missing rubber trim and the rear bumper has a dent in the center - no big deal - but you can spend a couple grand getting them made perfect again.

What to take note of - while you are looking the car over.
    Make yourself a WRITTEN LIST to take with you - if you don't - you'll remember things later that you wish you had thought of while you were there. You get to talking to the seller.. and things drop though the crack - you get distracted - - -TAKE A WRITTEN LIST.. and check each thing off as you look with a critical eye.

I won't list the usual things like Glass, Weather seals/gaskets, condition of the paint & trim, condition of the interior plastic panels, condition of the suspension bushings, condition of the suspension components {clean/black or covered with surface rust etc}, age of the tires, all associated original documentation like Window Sticker, Bill of Sale, Owners manual and Service Booklet {stuff that comes with low mileage one owner cars), original exhaust system in place, etc etc.....

but some minor things that can cost a lot of money - specific to the 240Z's now...
    - look at the chrome trim on the tail lights - is it perfect or pitted? {NOS set $1200.00}
    - look at the rear wheel arches - are the original spot welds there - or covered over?
    - look at the dash - - any cracks {NOS Dash $1800.00}
    - look at the door panels - if they are in as new condition - could save you $650.00 or more
    - look carefully at all the weather stripping - with 31K miles it should all be just fine...
    - look all the wiring harnesses over - make sure they aren't hacked or repaired poorly
    -
    - everyone else can start adding their specific items to look at...

good luck,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-26881

Thanks Carl, I really appreciate the reply. This looks to be a great forum. I will keep you guys updated.

Member ID
    CZCC-26881

Quote Originally Posted by motorman7 View Post

PS: a little clean-up on the motor would be sweet

The engine bay is beautiful. Is all of the zinc plating correct to factory specs?

Member ID
    CZCC-19125

Quote Originally Posted by Z-man View Post
    The engine bay is beautiful. Is all of the zinc plating correct to factory specs?

No, did this with my Caswell kit at home. There are long threads on "Correct plating".....it gets pretty involved and political.

HLS30-40498 Next resto
    SPL311-27444 It lives

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

$4,865.00

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

Look at the condition / wear on all of the foot pedals. Do they look 31K worn, or 131K worn? When in doubt of the mileage, this is a good place to look that is often overlooked.

Bonzi Lon
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

Member ID
    CZCC-24525

Something is definitely not right with the right rear wheel. It has been wrecked. Carefully check the rear suspension to see if it is a bent control arm or the mounting points are damaged.
    74 260Z late
    3.0 liter Rebello kit
    Rebello mod. SU's

Member ID
    CZCC-24603

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck View Post
    If the car checked out to actually be rust free and had 31K miles... Cleaned up and put in fine running condition - - - it could easily be $14K to $16K today. Even as it sits with some issues related to how it starts and runs; and some cosmetic issues ...I'd be a buyer in a heart beat at $8K to $10K. If I looked it over and under - carefully and really really liked the car - I'd pay $12K..

That sounds a bit high for a Z car in today's market, especially for a 73' model. If that car was down here in Texas, I wouldn't call it a deal for $3500. However, it is a fine example of an overall clean Z. I paid $2500 for my 72, and it was completely original with 50k documented miles on it. Pay what you feel comfortable buying it for since it you are not planning on flipping the car for a profit in a month.

Chase
    Last edited by CW240Z; 04-05-2012 at 07:05 AM.
    1972 240z 51K original miles
    1976 Datsun 620 pickup
    1991 BMW 3 series - Daily Driver
    1974 Porsche 914 1.8

Member ID
    CZCC-10665

I have that same car and love the color combo. It always amazes me that a person like Carl eck who has great insight the the Z car market gets a "no Z I did not pay that much for my car response". Respect for the brand can never be buils if we constantly under price our cars. An unmolested car is valuable and to be honest they are becoming more and more rare. I give the guy who gets his unmolested car for under $3K a round of applause but I also agree with Mr. Beck and I think we need to help influence the market by keeping our cars prices inflated and not deflate the market place. As for the car of this thread it looks to me like the front bumper is not a 73 either. I can't see the spacers for the new 5mph bumper. If the car can be had for $5K buy it.

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

Montezuma, it is a 73 bumper. The bumperetts are wider on the 73 and each is set further inward on the bumper. The black one is a 70, the blue one is a 73.

Bonzi Lon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bumpers 003.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	52567  
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

Member ID
    CZCC-26881

Thanks everyone. I made a list with all of your points to check and concerns. With the overspray it does look like it must of been in an accident, otherwise why would someone paint a car with such low mileage.

Member ID
    CZCC-4258

That's not a beige interior, it's dirty white. Nissan didn't offer a beige interior on the 240Z.

From everything I see, it's a 131,000 mile car all day long. But it still seems to be fairly solid for the asking price in SoCal, it would be more in the northeast.

Good Luck!

Member ID
    CZCC-19125

....., otherwise why would someone paint a car with such low mileage.
    Oxidized paint or clear coat would be a great reason.

HLS30-40498 Next resto
    SPL311-27444 It lives

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

The camber issue in the back, plus the overspray would lead me to thoroughly inspect the rear of the car. Look underneath for bent mounts and control arms, and look in the hatch interior (take panels off) for crinkling of metal.
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Car has 31k original documented miles on it. Basically sat in storage untouched for 25 years or so, until purchased by current owner who planned to restore it.
    I can't understand why some people insist that the mileage is not correct. 31K documented miles, then stored for 25 years - - sounds like that would be pretty easy to check - Look at the documentation and call the original owner.

The engine compartment is way to clean and original looking to be a 131K mile car.

Car comes with a few NOS parts that were never installed including new upholstery, badges and exhaust and more.
    I don't find this to be unusual at all. I bought new seat covers and door panels for my Blue/White 72 - a few months after I bought it new. I figured at some point I'd want to or need to replace a white interior. For that matter I have all new interior panels for my White/Red 72, on which I am the second owner.

One Original Owner here in this forum - is finally having his Z restored - and many of the NOS parts were purchased by him 30 years ago. It wasn't a matter of need - so much a matter of forward planning.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-14126

I'm glad I don't live in California......I'd have build a fourth garage!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7600346077563/

70, 71, 2 72's, and a 73 240z....
    90 300zx and a 1996 Acura NSX.....but who's counting?

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Quote Originally Posted by zcar70 View Post
    That's not a beige interior, it's dirty white. Nissan didn't offer a beige interior on the 240Z.
    80900-E8801 Door RH White - - up to 6/72
    80900-N3304 Door RH Beige --- 7/72 forward

Call it dirty white if you like - almost everyone does - but Nissan called it Beige.

73 Model Introduction
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73Intro_P4.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	52568

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Quote Originally Posted by CW240Z View Post
    I paid $2500 for my 72, and it was completely original with 50k documented miles on it.
    Hi Chase:
    The Devil is in the details - or in this case the value is in the details. How about providing more details or detailed pictures of your 72 as it stood when you bought it. Some 240Z's are worth $2500.00 and some seem to have been sold recently for $16,000.00 to $18,000.00.

Here is a 72 with 131,000 miles - that sold for $10,100.00
    E-Bay Item 190657808359
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19065...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

The buyer has been looking for a good 240Z for two years now...

Again - an original owner, well documented example.. in really good condtion.

Someone on this forum - from Texas - recently stated that they couldn't find a rust free 240Z in Texas..How long ago did you buy your Z?

FWIW,
    Carl B.

240 Z Owner/Nut Case dhoneycutt's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4557

The "camber issues" could be that someone replaced the rear struts with those of a 280z which are taller than the 240's. That is what the PO did on mine. Why I don't know but....
    David A. Honeycutt
    United States Air Force, Retired

1972 Datsun 240Z HLS3079961
    A Work in Progress

2004 Mazda 6s
    2009 BMW 535xi

The Only Difference Between Men & Boys... Is The Price Of Their Toys!

Member ID
    CZCC-24603

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck View Post
    Hi Chase:
    The Devil is in the details - or in this case the value is in the details. How about providing more details or detailed pictures of your 72 as it stood when you bought it. Some 240Z's are worth $2500.00 and some seem to have been sold recently for $16,000.00 to $18,000.00.

Here is a 72 with 131,000 miles - that sold for $10,100.00
    E-Bay Item 190657808359
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19065...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

The buyer has been looking for a good 240Z for two years now...

Again - an original owner, well documented example.. in really good condtion.

Someone on this forum - from Texas - recently stated that they couldn't find a rust free 240Z in Texas..How long ago did you buy your Z?

FWIW,
    Carl B.
    Carl,

I have a few pictures of it if you click on my garage. That is how it looked when I bought it. The car is all original, with the exceptions of a few re-sprays on the quarters to cover where the chrome guard strips went. I have all the documentation of the car from when it was new, service records, and anything purchased for it. The car was last inspected in 1986, and sat in dry storage till I bought it last year. The car truly is 99% rust-free. Good battery area, floorboards, dog legs, hatch area, etc. It has just about every dealer option on it as well. The car was worth well more than the $2500 he was asking for it, but no where near $8-10,000.

I'm not trying start an argument with with about what these cars are worth. What sells a Z, like what you said and what the one you posted has, is documentation, originality, early model, and few rust issues. It is a great example of one, but in today's market it will never fetch the $16-18,000 price range.

I personally looked for one about a year before I got mine. I have yet to see a 73' model, unrestored, sell in the $8-10,000 price range that said you would buy the blue one for.

Once again this is just what I've seen on the Texas market around me. If it was down here $3500 would be fair with all the extras it has. I do not doubt that they would be more expensive in other areas around the country.

Thanks,
    Chase
    1976 Datsun 620 pickup
    1974 Porsche 914 1.8

Member ID
    CZCC-10665

Thank you Carl for the interior clarification. People always would argue with about the color of the interior. I saw a Nissan interior color list and they called the color "parchment" on the page. But Biege works for me. Les at CDM is making my white panels and vinyl I bought from him beige for me. I would love to buy the car on this thread if the originator does not. Blue/Beige is my favorite combo.

Member ID
    CZCC-24603

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/True-...6f170973#v4-44

Here is a good example of a 73', and what they sell for in great, original, condition.

Chase
    1976 Datsun 620 pickup
    1974 Porsche 914 1.8

Thread Information