Results 1 to 46 of 46

Thread: Affordable Chrome Plating for plastic and metal parts

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default Affordable Chrome Plating for plastic and metal parts

    Hi, All,

    As promised on my previous thread from October, I am planning to do another group buy for the members of the CZCC for chrome plating of both plastic and metal Z car parts. During the past few months, we've been able to overcome some logistics hurdles that will enable me to provide the service for non-US customers as well. The prices will continue to be very low, as was the case during the first group buy. However, I did have to increase the price on a couple of items as I wasn't able to cover my hard costs on those specific items.

    As was the case last time, your satisfaction is guaranteed on all orders. Unfortunately, as was also the case last time, I've not yet found an economically viable way to ship large and bulky items (bumpers and wheels) overseas by air. So, for the time being, I am limiting this service to essentially every part of a Z car except bumpers and wheels. I will detail actual prices and terms in a subsequent post later today......but thought you might want to see a few pictures of recently completed projects in the meantime. Please note that ALL plating is done with a "triple-plate" finish, which is commonly described by most domestic platers as "show chrome", and is usually accompanied by a hefty premium is prices quoted. I hope you all enjoy the pics

    Mike R.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finished sample1.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	60172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finished sample2.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	60173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mb3.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	60174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mb4.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	60175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mb7.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	60176

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Am adding a few additional pics.........

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mb6.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	60177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mb9.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	60178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mb8.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	60179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jf2.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	60180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jf3.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	60181

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Update: Terms and Pricing

    240z Tail light finisher/bezel: $80.00 per pair
    260/280z tail light surround: $140.00 per pair
    240z heater panel faceplate: $60.00 ea.
    A/C vents (round or square): $32.00 ea.
    Emblems: $32.00 ea.
    Mag wheel center caps: $100.00 per set of 4
    chrome trim int. door pull: $12.00 ea. (240/260/280z)
    Fuel door knobs (2 pc.): $18.00
    Radio knobs (chrome): $12.00 ea.
    Shift knob chrome base: $12.00 ea.
    240z series 1 hatch vents: $32.00 ea.
    Chrome door panel escutcheon: $18.00 ea.
    Chrome door handles: $30.00 ea.
    S30 exterior mirrors: $42.00 ea.

    Terms: Minimum order is $100.00. Payment due at time of order placement. Payment processed through Paypal. Prices include return shipment to all customers in the US. For international customers, prices are the same as quoted here, except that non-US customers will be responsible for freight costs and any applicable customs charges, if any. Please allow 5-6 weeks for job completion. All orders come with a full customer satisfaction guarantee.

    Please feel free to PM me with any specific questions or to place an order. This group buy is scheduled for a February 10th shipment, so please place your orders and ship your product in time for a February 5th deadline for my receipt.

    Mike R.
    (go niners....he he he)

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    I've been asked if we can do "black Chrome" and thought that this question should be shared with the community. The answer is yes......we do offer black chrome for any of you interested in customizing your rides. The prices are the same as for the regular chrome plating. Once again, however, I cannot offer this service for wheels or bumpers, at this time.

    Mike

  5. #5
    Nova Scotia,Canada,Earth Blue's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-7641
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NS
    Posts
    4,085

    Default

    I hate looking at this thread to see newest posts... all that chrome makes me drool every time.
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.


    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)



    ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

    http://ZSportCanada.com


  6. #6
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    I've received a few pm's that suggests that there is some uncertainty as to what this post is all about. No, I have no re-chromed parts for sale. I am offering a service to have your cores stripped, dipped, plated, and polished and returned to you, the club member. I apologize for an ambiguity in my original thread post.

    Each member's order is individually catalogued, photographed, and packaged separately and is kept that way throughout the process, insuring that the cores YOU send in will be the same ones that you receive after the work is completed. Any special instructions or requests that the customer may have are included in their respective package, after those instructions have been translated into the language used by our plater.

    I hope that this clears up any confusion as to precisely what the service entails. In the future, perhaps I'll be able to acquire an inventory of cores myself....have them replated, and offer them for sale to the community. However, I definitely could not offer refurbished parts at the prices listed above. If anyone does have an inventory of usable cores that they have no plans for, feel free to pm me if you'd like to sell them at a reasonable price

    Mike

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I hate looking at this thread to see newest posts... all that chrome makes me drool every time.
    Phil,

    I've made a mental note to procure a chrome plated spitoon for you. This way you won't have any of that drool drop onto your beautiful paint job

    Of course, on a more serious note, we do have the ability to handle jobs for our friends "north of the border" now......so shoot me a pm if I can be of any help to you.

    Mike

    P.S. Thanks for the feedback on the pics, btw

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    EDIT/ UPDATE: The scheduled shipment date has been moved to February 20 in order to accomodate working schedules during the Chinese New Year. This will extend your time to ship through February 15th.

    Mike

  9. #9
    Registered User Mike W's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-19584
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    243

    Default

    So I decided to take Mike up on his first group buy offer and would like too offer some feedback on his service as well as the product. In the process of restoring my late model 260Z, I was searching for an affordable plater somewhere in the US that could replate my original tail light surrounds. They are definitely out there if you search hard enough, but the prices were outrageous. To put it into perspective, the last quote that I received for ONE surround from a plater on the East Coast was almost double what Mike charged for TWO. And his prices also included return shipping! His price performance can't be beat in my opinion.

    Finally I want to say that this was a very positive experience overall with Mike and his team. His communication was excellent and in the end he delivered as expected. I would not hesitate to do business with him again and I have already sent him some additional parts for him to plate on his next group buy.

    In fact the picture on his first post in this thread show my surrounds. They are the 4th picture from the left.

    I've also attached a couple of my own pictures which shows the passenger side surround on the car, both before and after replating. As you can see, the difference is dramatic.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tailight Surround Before.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	538.2 KB 
ID:	60316 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tailight Surround After.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	524.6 KB 
ID:	60317

    Hope this helps others who may be considering using Mike's service.

    Mike.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    So I decided to take Mike up on his first group buy offer and would like too offer some feedback on his service as well as the product. In the process of restoring my late model 260Z, I was searching for an affordable plater somewhere in the US that could replate my original tail light surrounds. They are definitely out there if you search hard enough, but the prices were outrageous. To put it into perspective, the last quote that I received for ONE surround from a plater on the East Coast was almost double what Mike charged for TWO. And his prices also included return shipping! His price performance can't be beat in my opinion.

    Finally I want to say that this was a very positive experience overall with Mike and his team. His communication was excellent and in the end he delivered as expected. I would not hesitate to do business with him again and I have already sent him some additional parts for him to plate on his next group buy.

    In fact the picture on his first post in this thread show my surrounds. They are the 4th picture from the left.

    I've also attached a couple of my own pictures which shows the passenger side surround on the car, both before and after replating. As you can see, the difference is dramatic.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tailight Surround Before.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	538.2 KB 
ID:	60316 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tailight Surround After.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	524.6 KB 
ID:	60317

    Hope this helps others who may be considering using Mike's service.

    Mike.

    Hi, Mike,

    Thank you for the kind words and valuable feedback. In an endeavor such as this, as is the case with most any enterprise, customer feedback is critical to the persuit of excellence and satisfied customers are the only real measure of success. Thanks again for your business.

    Mike R.

  11. #11
    Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    I also had Mike do some plating for me and I was very happy with the quality for the price. I have used a few different places in the US to plate plastic and pot metal items in the past and they can be pretty expensive. Mike's prices are very reasonable.

    The heater control panel that Mike posted a picture of above is mine. I'm attaching a before and close up after picture for comparison. As you can see, the texture on the piece was still maintained, which was a concern of mine. It's from a 1969 production car, which are slightly different from those on later cars, so it was important for me to restore this one rather replace it with a new or reproduction part.

    I also had Mike do a set of taillight trim strips and a 240Z rear deck emblem. For $80 and a little time to disassemble, polish the lenses, and reassemble, you can restore most taillights to like new condition. Much better than spending $1200 for a NOS set, and since the early lenses are slightly different on the early cars like mine, this is a much better option if you originality is important to you.

    I liked the first 'test' pieces I had done so much I am sending some more pieces to him. I removed the bases from a couple of shift knobs so I am interested to see how those turn out. I have also suggested to Mike that reproducing the shift knob bases and trim strips may be popular items for people that have originals that are too damaged to re-use as cores for plating.

    I'm also planning on testing out some more pot metal items. One of the problems with pot metal though is if you have any pits you will need to drill and fill them first if you want a perfect looking piece. I am testing out a new product I found for this, so I may have more on that later.


    -Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1322.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	60483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mb3.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	60484  

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    I also had Mike do some plating for me and I was very happy with the quality for the price. I have used a few different places in the US to plate plastic and pot metal items in the past and they can be pretty expensive. Mike's prices are very reasonable.

    The heater control panel that Mike posted a picture of above is mine. I'm attaching a before and close up after picture for comparison. As you can see, the texture on the piece was still maintained, which was a concern of mine. It's from a 1969 production car, which are slightly different from those on later cars, so it was important for me to restore this one rather replace it with a new or reproduction part.

    I also had Mike do a set of taillight trim strips and a 240Z rear deck emblem. For $80 and a little time to disassemble, polish the lenses, and reassemble, you can restore most taillights to like new condition. Much better than spending $1200 for a NOS set, and since the early lenses are slightly different on the early cars like mine, this is a much better option if you originality is important to you.

    I liked the first 'test' pieces I had done so much I am sending some more pieces to him. I removed the bases from a couple of shift knobs so I am interested to see how those turn out. I have also suggested to Mike that reproducing the shift knob bases and trim strips may be popular items for people that have originals that are too damaged to re-use as cores for plating.

    I'm also planning on testing out some more pot metal items. One of the problems with pot metal though is if you have any pits you will need to drill and fill them first if you want a perfect looking piece. I am testing out a new product I found for this, so I may have more on that later.


    -Mike
    HI, Mike,

    Thank-you for the feedback and the "before" and "after" pics. I wish that I would have thought of that

    I am anxious to hear how that new product works out for you......I suspect it was the one you sent me info on. I may have use for that myself in the near future.
    The parts that you sent me last week are already in Asia, ready to be started on. Will keep you abreast of progress.

    Thanks again,

    Mike R.

  13. #13
    Registered User EhlersRS's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-21096
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Mike,

    I agree with the previous posts...all of that chrome is beautiful! My car is at the very early stages of restoration and I still have to purchase new sheet metal and repair panels. Do you plan to continue offering this service for those of us who don't have the extra funds for new chrome yet? Do you have the ability to chrome other interior parts such window cranks, belt buckles, and early series coat hangers? Also, I understand the cost to ship wheels is not cost efficient, however can you chrome the old style "D" hubcaps? My car came with boxes of spare parts, some of which were interior chrome pieces, etc. When it warms up again here (eventually), I'd be interested in helping with the collection of cores for other customers.

    Thanks,

    Robert S.
    1971 240Z HLS30-21244

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Hi, Robert,

    It is my intention to continue the service as long as the demand exists. The costs for plating plastic seem to go up all the time, so I won't be able to guarantee these prices beyond the current group buy. However, I expect that prices will remain extremely attractive when compared against the current competition. There seems to be more predictability and stability with the prices for plating metal, as metal requires appreciably less labor. However, I will certainly keep all pricing posted or can make it available to you at anytime in the future. I also have photos of seat belt buckles that I had replated for my own Z.....will post them as well. Finally.....yes, we can re-chrome virtually any part that was originally chromed such as window cranks, coat hangars, etc., with the probable exception of the chrome strip that is on the door panel. As Mike B mentioned previously, we are even doing a few shift knob trims for him.

    With regard to your box of parts/cores, I always have customers that are interested in acquiring cores that can be re-plated. Let me know if I can help put you together with them.

    Thanks, Robert,

    Mike R.
    While we are continuing to work on solutions for the bumpers and wheel freight "issues", we can certainly replate any hubcaps, whether they be series 1 "D" hubcaps, or any of the later ones that were originally plated. I actually have pics somewhere in my archives of a set of "D" hubcaps that I had re-chromed in the past, and will post them after I find out where I put them

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chrome parts 001.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	274.1 KB 
ID:	60655Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chrome parts 003.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	60656Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chrome parts 002.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	60657Click image for larger version. 

Name:	168.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	60658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	169.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	60659
    Quote Originally Posted by 9teen7t240z View Post
    Hi, Robert,

    It is my intention to continue the service as long as the demand exists. The costs for plating plastic seem to go up all the time, so I won't be able to guarantee these prices beyond the current group buy. However, I expect that prices will remain extremely attractive when compared against the current competition. There seems to be more predictability and stability with the prices for plating metal, as metal requires appreciably less labor. However, I will certainly keep all pricing posted or can make it available to you at anytime in the future. I also have photos of seat belt buckles that I had replated for my own Z.....will post them as well. Finally.....yes, we can re-chrome virtually any part that was originally chromed such as window cranks, coat hangars, etc., with the probable exception of the chrome strip that is on the door panel. As Mike B mentioned previously, we are even doing a few shift knob trims for him.

    With regard to your box of parts/cores, I always have customers that are interested in acquiring cores that can be re-plated. Let me know if I can help put you together with them.

    Thanks, Robert,

    Mike R.
    While we are continuing to work on solutions for the bumpers and wheel freight "issues", we can certainly replate any hubcaps, whether they be series 1 "D" hubcaps, or any of the later ones that were originally plated. I actually have pics somewhere in my archives of a set of "D" hubcaps that I had re-chromed in the past, and will post them after I find out where I put them
    Robert,

    I found some of this pics, including the hubcaps and seatbelt pieces. The reddish tint seen on some of the seatbelt hardware was a reflection of my car, as the photos were taken next to the Z.

    Mike

  16. #16
    Registered User EhlersRS's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-21096
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Mike,

    I would have responded sooner, but I got busy towards the end of the week! Thanks for posting the photos of the rechromed seatbelts and hubcaps. The original seatbelts in my car aren't looking too good, especially on the driver's side. It looks like one of the harness pieces sat on the floorboard for a while and was exposed to moisture, thus causing rust. The passenger side looks a lot better. I also have an extra set of belts from the parts car. Is that your dog's reflection in the hubcap on the lower left? Thanks again for posting the photos and I can't wait until Spring to get working on the car again!

    Robert S.
    1971 240Z HLS30-21244

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Robert,

    You've got a great set of eyes! I never saw that reflection of my dog on the hubcap pic, but, yes, that was my dog. Sadly, I had to put him down 2 years ago as he developed total kidney failure due to age. I would have traded my Z to get a set of kidneys for my dog, but that wasn't an option. At least now I have one more pic of my dog that I didn't know I even owned. Also, I noticed a reflection of myself, my car,and my tool boxes in those wheels.

    Good observations.

    Mike

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    I thought I'd post a few new pics of parts in the current batch. Also, there is less than 2 weeks left before this final group buy ends, so there's no time like the present to get on board

    Mike

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample213a.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	60893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample213f.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	60894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample213d.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	60895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample213c.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	60896

  19. #19
    Registered User zhead240's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-5718
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    ontario canada
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    i see there is a plastic chrome plating service on ebay. (datsun parts) it has a starting bid of $1000. now just how would this work out for an auction? how many pieces would that involve. plus shipping at that price? very odd auction.
    to be or not to be- shakespeare
    do be do be do- sinatra
    vehicles owned
    72 240z
    2009 honda civic exl
    1973 triumph tr6
    wife's
    2002 vw jetta
    68 390 mustang coup

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zhead240 View Post
    i see there is a plastic chrome plating service on ebay. (datsun parts) it has a starting bid of $1000. now just how would this work out for an auction? how many pieces would that involve. plus shipping at that price? very odd auction.
    Zhead,

    Hmmmm.......at $1000.00 per set of bezels, I'd think it would be gold plated, platinum filled, and hand delivered.......by a scantilly-clad Hooter's babe, no less

    Then again, maybe my prices are too inexpensive....

    Mike

  21. #21
    Registered User EhlersRS's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-21096
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Mike,

    Sorry to hear you lost your friend. My "girls" will be 7 years old this summer, so I expect they'll be around for a while. As mentioned above, I also saw the chroming service advertised on Ebay. Some of the guys had their reservations about the Ebay ad, to put it mildly. You've got to stop posting those tempting photos of chrome parts! For some reason I didn't realize the choke/rear defrost plate from the center console had chrome. I'll have to add that to my list of parts that need rechroming. I do have a more technical question. For those parts that need to be repainted black after the chroming, such as the 240Z taillight trim, heater control panel, etc., what is the best method to repaint those and do you have any suggestions for paint?

    Thanks,

    Robert S.
    1971 240Z HLS30-21244

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EhlersRS View Post
    Mike,

    Sorry to hear you lost your friend. My "girls" will be 7 years old this summer, so I expect they'll be around for a while. As mentioned above, I also saw the chroming service advertised on Ebay. Some of the guys had their reservations about the Ebay ad, to put it mildly. You've got to stop posting those tempting photos of chrome parts! For some reason I didn't realize the choke/rear defrost plate from the center console had chrome. I'll have to add that to my list of parts that need rechroming. I do have a more technical question. For those parts that need to be repainted black after the chroming, such as the 240Z taillight trim, heater control panel, etc., what is the best method to repaint those and do you have any suggestions for paint?

    Thanks,

    Robert S.
    Hi, Robert,

    Thanks for the kind thoughts regarding my "best friend". I've had dogs all of my life, and every one of them was a true family member. Somehow, losing Satchmo was much tougher on the family than any of the past ones. Makes one a bit reluctant to even try to replace him.

    I, too, have seen that Ebay listing, and have wondered how one could auction a "service". I guess if the strategy works, we'll soon see hookers posting on Ebay......to be sold to the highest bidder .

    As for the choke plate, I never owned a new Z and don't know if the high parts on the plate were originally chromed or painted. However, this customer wanted the whole plate chromed, so I accomodated him. There aren't many parts that we can't chrome plate, even if they were not originally plated by the manufacturer. Someday, I may even attempt to chrome an entire Z......that would be quite a sight cruising down the road!

    When we paint the tail light strips, we use a semi-gloss black enamel for the job. They can be sprayed or hand-painted. As for emblems and other painted parts, you may want to ask other members of the community for their recommendations. I've been told that Datsun used a couple of different shades of black for the early heater control panels, so, if originality is important to you, you would want to find out which one was spec'd for your specific car.

    Mike

  23. #23
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Just wanted to give everyone a friendly reminder that this coming week will be your last chance to get in on this group buy. Starting next month, I'll be working on setting up a dealer or distributor network for the service. So, while I intend to remain quite active within the industry, the attendant dealer mark-ups will certainly add to the costs of having your parts plated. However, as mentioned in a previous post, I expect that the final prices will still be quite attractive when compared to other competitors.

    Thanks again for your participation in the program.

    Mike R.

  24. #24
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Update:

    In order to accomodate a couple of orders being shipped from out of country, I have moved my ship date to next Tuesday, February 26th. This will provide a little extra time for you "stragglers and procrastinators" (just kidding), should you want to get in on this final group buy. For what it's worth, I've been known to straggle and procrastinate a little myself

    Mike

  25. #25
    Registered User mgmoreau's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-14933
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Lincoln RI
    Posts
    220

    Default

    I wanted to post some pictures of the vents I just got back from Mike. It is difficult to get clear pictures of chrome when the flash is required. Hopefully these pictures give you a good idea of what you can expect from Mike if you have him plate any parts for you. The quality exceeded my expectations. I have had numerous conversation's with Mike and he told me that is his goal, to exceed all his customers expectations. He is a pleasure to do business with and he is a passionate Z guy like the rest of us on this forum. Thanks Mike.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3209.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	61442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3210.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	61443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3212.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	252.1 KB 
ID:	61444

  26. #26
    Registered User LeonV's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-19146
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    Very nice!

    I sent Mike 2 sets of 260Z tail light trims. I took some before photos but the lighting wasn't great. One set had been painted black and the other is original but worn and peeling in a few areas. Can't wait to see the results!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1781_zpsa404bc4a.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	61449
    2/74 260Z

  27. #27
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mgmoreau View Post
    I wanted to post some pictures of the vents I just got back from Mike. It is difficult to get clear pictures of chrome when the flash is required. Hopefully these pictures give you a good idea of what you can expect from Mike if you have him plate any parts for you. The quality exceeded my expectations. I have had numerous conversation's with Mike and he told me that is his goal, to exceed all his customers expectations. He is a pleasure to do business with and he is a passionate Z guy like the rest of us on this forum. Thanks Mike.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3209.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	61442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3210.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	61443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3212.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	252.1 KB 
ID:	61444
    Marc,

    Thank you for the kind words and taking the time to post your feedback. Nice pics, btw Now, we would like to see some pics of those vents in your NOS dash

    Mike

  28. #28
    Registered User mgood's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-13827
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh (South Hills area), PA
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Just want to thank Mike for the great work on my really rusty and pitted and painted center caps for my original Appliance wheels. I just received them back today, about 2 months for the work to be done.
    Great job, here is a picture of after, I did not take a before picture, my bad. Now I have to paint the area around the A with black paint.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8606.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	62663

    Thanks again Mike.
    Michael 11/75 - 76-280 - HLS30-281,114
    Web site -Click Here and ORIGINAL OWNERS OF THE 280Z (1975-1976 -1977 - 1978 - ONLY) REGISTRATION[

  29. #29
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-23413
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Omaha
    Age
    76
    Posts
    4

    Default

    When is your next run. I have a few parts that need chome plating and rear light panel refinished. skyptrl@yahoo.com

  30. #30
    Registered User LeonV's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-19146
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    My tail light trim came out pretty nice.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1867_zps39ba2211.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	62924

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1876_zpsedd03091.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	62925

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1878_zps0b9cc3dd.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	62926

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1907_zps66d7979a.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	62927

    I've yet to do the green car, but will install them once I re-paint the surrounds.
    2/74 260Z

  31. #31
    Registered User EuroDat's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeonV View Post
    My tail light trim came out pretty nice.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1907_zps66d7979a.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	62927

    I've yet to do the green car, but will install them once I re-paint the surrounds.
    Hi Leon, Grats with the taillight trims they look great.
    After forty years most of these things are a little worse for wear. Rechroming this stuff is the icing on the cake to any restoration.
    Chas
    Chas
    5/77 280Z HLS30 403100 with some modifications
    Original colour: 305 Light Blue. The PO changed it to Red

  32. #32
    Registered User LeonV's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-19146
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDat View Post
    Hi Leon, Grats with the taillight trims they look great.
    After forty years most of these things are a little worse for wear. Rechroming this stuff is the icing on the cake to any restoration.
    Chas
    Thanks Chas.

    They really help freshen up the back end (insert joke here). The old ones were faded and peeling, so I definitely appreciate having clean, shiny ones in there!

    Everybody knows shiny stuff makes you go faster. I think my exhaust tips add about 25hp.
    2/74 260Z

  33. #33
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	part 4.24.13 002.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	62968Michael,

    Thank you for your feedback. And yes, those were some seriously rusted center caps......I had to cross my fingers and hold my breath when I sent those out for plating

    Fortunately, I DO have a pic of your caps before they were re-chromed. I'll try to post it here.

    Mike

    Quote Originally Posted by mgood View Post
    Just want to thank Mike for the great work on my really rusty and pitted and painted center caps for my original Appliance wheels. I just received them back today, about 2 months for the work to be done.
    Great job, here is a picture of after, I did not take a before picture, my bad. Now I have to paint the area around the A with black paint.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8606.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	62663

    Thanks again Mike.

  34. #34
    Walmart greeter Mikes Z car's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-18366
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeonV View Post
    Thanks Chas.

    They really help freshen up the back end (insert joke here). The old ones were faded and peeling, so I definitely appreciate having clean, shiny ones in there!

    Everybody knows shiny stuff makes you go faster. I think my exhaust tips add about 25hp.

    A guy at work with a vette has a sticker on the back window:
    This sticker adds 5HP

  35. #35
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    I could tell everyone that a fresh plate of clean chrome reduces friction and attendant drag, making the car more aerodynamic and subsequently faster. But, I don't think I'm gonna make that claim on any brochure or business card.

  36. #36
    Registered User LeonV's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-19146
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikes Z car View Post
    A guy at work with a vette has a sticker on the back window:
    This sticker adds 5HP
    I saw the same one on a Chevy Turbo Sprint that I was parked next to at a car show.
    2/74 260Z

  37. #37
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    UPDATE to thread: Affordable Chrome Plating (Part Deux)

    When I began this "hobby", I wanted to offer my fellow Z enthusiasts with an affordable solution to their chrome plating needs, with a focus on the plating of plastics. Since then, I've been fortunate enough to serve the needs of many of you, and thank you for the opportunity to do so.
    Lately, however, I've been doing plating for customers who own Ferraris and Bentleys, Porsches, classic Mustangs, Ranchero's, Olds 442's......and on and on. Additionally, I've begun an active mission to source reproduction facilities for those "impossible to find" parts that many of you have requested. As a result, I find very little time to spend with my real passion (Z cars), and have sought out the help of others who could devote some time to serving my Z friends.

    I've recently appointed Mike Wodopian as a direct distributor for the chrome plating service, as he is able to dedicate the time to continue to service the membership in the way that we want it to be done. He has generously agreed to officially launch this effort with another "group buy" for the membership, and will be announcing his service sometime later today. I hope that you all extend the same warm welcome to Mike that so many of you have extended to me.

    I hope to be able to offer some updates on the new part reproductions soon

    Mike

  38. #38
    Registered User mgood's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-13827
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh (South Hills area), PA
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Mike, just to let you know I received the 280Z tail light surrounds yesterday and they

    LOOK GREAT

    I will get a picture of them on soon as I can.
    Michael 11/75 - 76-280 - HLS30-281,114
    Web site -Click Here and ORIGINAL OWNERS OF THE 280Z (1975-1976 -1977 - 1978 - ONLY) REGISTRATION[

  39. #39
    Registered User mgood's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-13827
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh (South Hills area), PA
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Mike, just wanted to show you the tail light surrounds on the car. I changed the back panel color to a warm gray color, it's closer to the original color. Thanks a bunch they look great.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6116.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	70684Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6121.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	70686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6120.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	70685Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6123.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	70687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Taillights.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	70683
    Michael 11/75 - 76-280 - HLS30-281,114
    Web site -Click Here and ORIGINAL OWNERS OF THE 280Z (1975-1976 -1977 - 1978 - ONLY) REGISTRATION[

  40. #40
    Registered User rossiz's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-30163
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Is this service still available?
    If so, what would be the cost for a pair of 280 hood vents?
    '78 280z - Daily driver/work in progress...

  41. #41
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Hi, Michael,

    I'm glad that the tail light surrounds worked for you......they look great on your car! You've done an awesome job with your Z. Thanks much for the kudos and for all of your support.

    Mike

  42. #42
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rossiz View Post
    Is this service still available?
    If so, what would be the cost for a pair of 280 hood vents?
    Rossiz,

    Unfortunately, for the immediate time being, the plastic chrome plating is undergoing a "hiatus" while I recover from a recent open-heart surgery. I am finishing off the last few orders and will likely postpone any future plastic plating until I have completed my cardiac rehab and am cleared to resume the long hours and high-stress by my cardiologist (as IF that will ever happen....lol)
    As I am looking at taking on a partner or two to share the burden with, I don't expect that I'll be in this "hiatus" for long.

    In the meantime, I am continuing with chrome plating of all metal parts here locally. Presently, I am negotiating a group buy opportunity for S30 bumper re-chroming, and hope to be able to offer some great deals here soon.

    Thanks for the inquiry.....I will let you know just as soon as I'm able to resume the plating of plastic parts.

    Mike

  43. #43
    Registered User EuroDat's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-26512
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9teen7t240z View Post
    Rossiz,

    Unfortunately, for the immediate time being, the plastic chrome plating is undergoing a "hiatus" while I recover from a recent open-heart surgery. I am finishing off the last few orders and will likely postpone any future plastic plating until I have completed my cardiac rehab and am cleared to resume the long hours and high-stress by my cardiologist (as IF that will ever happen....lol)
    As I am looking at taking on a partner or two to share the burden with, I don't expect that I'll be in this "hiatus" for long.

    Mike
    Mike, Sorry to read that. I hope your recovery progresses well. Its situations like this when you realise your health is your most valuable assest.
    Take care
    Chas
    Chas
    5/77 280Z HLS30 403100 with some modifications
    Original colour: 305 Light Blue. The PO changed it to Red

  44. #44
    Registered User rossiz's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-30163
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Mike,

    Thanks for the reply - no worries, take care of yourself and get healthy.
    Let us know when you/your partners are ready to get back into it and I'm sure there will be a few orders coming your way to get things rolling again.

    Geoff
    '78 280z - Daily driver/work in progress...

  45. #45
    Registered User EhlersRS's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-21096
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Mike,

    Sorry to hear about your health issues and hopefully the recovery process goes well. Hopefully I can get my car dismantled this year and catalog the plastic parts that will need rechroming. I now have all of the body panels the car will need for the restore and I picked up a rechromed front bumper. The front bumper guards I have will need to be rechromed, as well as the back bumper components.

    Take care,

    Robert S.
    1971 240Z HLS30-21244

  46. #46
    Registered User
    Member ID
    CZCC-24403
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDat View Post
    Mike, Sorry to read that. I hope your recovery progresses well. Its situations like this when you realise your health is your most valuable assest.
    Take care
    Chas
    Chas, Geoff, and Robert,

    Thanks so much for the well wishes. I hope to find myself "back in the saddle" in the weeks to come. I really miss spending time with all of the fine people here in the club, as well as in the industry in general. Am going to make a goal of attempting ZCON this year and hope to be able see many of you there.

    Mike

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 06:15 PM
  2. Protecting chrome vacuum plating
    By mlaw7 in forum Interior (S30)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 01:41 PM
  3. Plastic vs. metal emblems...
    By kjohnson2444 in forum Body and Paint (S30)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 05:30 PM
  4. Metal or plastic fan???
    By KAL7467 in forum Engine and Drivetrain (S30)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 09:12 PM
  5. Waste of Plastic and Pot-Metal
    By montoya_fan01 in forum Open Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2005, 12:37 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •