Thread: just bought my self a 73 Z having a few issues

Member ID
    CZCC-27932

Default just bought my self a 73 Z having a few issues

i just brought home a 1973 240z. i was parked outside for about 1 year. i got it to start and it runs good. now starts as soon as you turn the key. though im having some issues with a few things. the glove box is locked and i didnt get the key for it. the hatch lock wont unlock.(i broke my spare key trying to unlock it) so i need guidance opening those and making the brakes stronger.(barely any stopping power) i would like to take out the emissions control crap if i can. the dash lights do not light up.

thank you in advance

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

Well, if you can crawl into the hatch, remove the trim panel. That should give you access to the hatch lock. It unlocks by pushing the button. When you turn the key, the cylinder turns, and a tab aligns with a button/lever that operates the latch. Maybe you can reverse engineer it with that description. Then remove the thing, take it to a locksmith, and have it re-keyed.

Just a guess: Maybe the hatch key is the same as the glove box key. So if a locksmith can "read" the code in the hatch lock, he can cut a key that would open the glove box (and then re-key the glove box).

Stronger brakes: Rebuild! Brakes are usually weak because of rusted, frozen parts, air/moisture in the lines, etc. You should take it all apart, and rebuild it.

Dash lights: Try cleaning the dimmer rheostat, or at least working the knob back and forth, back and forth.
    My last three sports cars while I still owned all three:

2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i soft/hard top (sold)
    1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (sold)
    1978 Datsun 280Z (enjoying very much )

Member ID
    CZCC-27888

The keys are all the same on my 73, including the glove box. If that's not the case, you're going to need to find a locksmith. Which you'll need anyway for that broken key.
    1973 240z w/ ztherapy round top conversion.

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

I recently lost my dash lights, but brought them back to life plus brighter park and head lights. http://www.kamikazeracing.org/dl/ZTe...mbo_switch.pdf

But hopefully your dimmer knob will do the trick as Fastwoman says. It's on the right side of your steering wheel. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/e...n-73-240z.html
    Last edited by siteunseen; 12-15-2013 at 04:38 AM.
    1972 240Z #918 New Sight Orange
    1977 280Z #305 Light Blue Metallic
    1972 240Z #110 Persimmons Red

Member ID
    CZCC-27932

Quote Originally Posted by FastWoman View Post
    Well, if you can crawl into the hatch, remove the trim panel. That should give you access to the hatch lock. It unlocks by pushing the button. When you turn the key, the cylinder turns, and a tab aligns with a button/lever that operates the latch. Maybe you can reverse engineer it with that description. Then remove the thing, take it to a locksmith, and have it re-keyed.

Just a guess: Maybe the hatch key is the same as the glove box key. So if a locksmith can "read" the code in the hatch lock, he can cut a key that would open the glove box (and then re-key the glove box).

Stronger brakes: Rebuild! Brakes are usually weak because of rusted, frozen parts, air/moisture in the lines, etc. You should take it all apart, and rebuild it.
    the hatch key is the same key for doors and ignition. i watched the previous owner unlock and re-lock the hatch with my key. im going to try to open it from the inside. where do i place the jack under the car? when rebuilding brakes is it best to do it one at a time?

Member ID
    CZCC-27932

Quote Originally Posted by siteunseen View Post
    I recently lost my dash lights, but brought them back to life plus brighter park and head lights. http://www.kamikazeracing.org/dl/ZTe...mbo_switch.pdf

But hopefully your dimmer knob will do the trick as Fastwoman says. It's on the right side of your steering wheel. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/e...n-73-240z.html
    i tried the dimmer knob and it did not work. how the i get to the switch in the pdf link?
    Last edited by spiffy240z; 12-15-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-27932

i got the hatch unlocked after removing the panel. when removing the door panels how do you take off the inner handle and window arm?
    motor, drivetrain, differential- check
    interior, exterior - uncheck

Low Budget/High Value
    Member ID
    CZCC-20342

I've found that a hook-shaped pick does the job for the door handle retainer. It's on the splined shaft, you can see it if you try. You can get something like these almost anywhere.

The screws for the door handle are deep in the holes on the bottom of the arm rest, plus one under the chrome piece at the top front, which pops off. Big head, about a #3 screwdriver.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Zed Head; 12-15-2013 at 12:50 PM.
    1976 280Z, with some minor modifications

Member ID
    CZCC-7115

OK I have had all these problems

Locks

Well the good thing about the locks that did not unlock is they are probably in good shape and the others are worn out and need to be rebuild. I recommend pulling all the locks after finding a locksmith with the kit to rebuild your lock. On the side of the lock (except the glove-box) will have a number on the side of the cylinder, a locksmith can enter that number and make a key that matches that number and I bet that key will unlock the locks. I'd still bring all the locks in, they can clean them up and make them just like new for not a lot of money (I thought it was cheap). This also includes the ignition, and when they are done you don't haft to check the floor for the key

Dash Lights

I found with my first Z was most of the bulbs were louse or bunt out so I just went through and replaced them and check the connections. Also it might not be a bad idea to replace all the fuses after a while they tend to brake down and cause problems.

Emissions

That's not hard to do just follow the parts hooked to the smog pump, and block the holes on the exhaust and intake manifold. If your getting rid of the emission parts let me know I could use a good smog pump and one of the hoses.

Brakes

Check the booster they are getting quite old and when they leak things don't work well the rest you can rebuild at home and would recommend doing that, because no brakes is no fun.

Door Panel Removal

The handle has two screws in the holes to remove and the window crank has a clip you pull and then the parts slide off a spline shaft.

Good luck and welcome to the Z car world.

Member ID
    CZCC-27932

my neighbor helped me brake open the glove box and take off the door panels. now the brakes are getting better the more i use them but i still plan on rebuilding them. im going to tear off the dash and post some pictures to see what im working with.

Low Budget/High Value
    Member ID
    CZCC-20342

Weird that we've all given up on grammar. The hordes have worn us out.
    1976 280Z, with some minor modifications

Member ID
    CZCC-26437

Quote Originally Posted by Zed Head View Post
    Weird that we've all given up on grammar. The hordes have worn us out.
    Aint it the truth :] I correct it all under my breath but never mention it anymore. Different generation.
    The reluctant grammar Nazi.
    1970 240Z HLS30 01955 March/70

Member ID
    CZCC-27932

Well I was rushing to get back to my car. Now i'm having issues with my driver side outer door handle. The rod that connects to the door handle, pushes a tap down to open the door. The rod keeps popping out of the tap. Is there supposed to be a nut at the end of the rod to prevent that?

Boat Anchor Repairman Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-24608

Quote Originally Posted by ajmcforester View Post
    If your getting rid of the emission parts let me know I could use a good smog pump and one of the hoses.
    I've got a pump from (I believe) a 260 and a couple of the braided style hoses. PM me if you're interested.

Member ID
    CZCC-29883

The little clip that holds the window knob on can easily be removed by pulling the center of a rag behind the knob and pull the rag back and forth. the rag will catch the end of the clip and pop it off..Those clips in Portland are known as Dammit clips because you can't find them after removal.
    Mark in Portland

It's awesome bartsscooterservice's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-28929

better do a complete overhaul of the brake system, this is something you don't want to save money on !
    HLS30 32581, 5/71 Matching numbers

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Thread Information