Thread: Salutations and VIN mismatch

Member ID
    CZCC-28370

Default Salutations and VIN mismatch

Hello! I've had my 240 for 6 months now and am just now getting around to posting.

First, the car. A '71 Series I that was originally silver and is now blue. All it needed was an alternator and rear shocks.(no, I didn't pull the pins. I don't wanna pull the pins.) It's been reliable ever since. It has dealer AC that I've not bothered to put a belt on; its got the fried parking light circuit fuse which has been temporarily fixed (yes, it's fused and even relayed, but there's still a toggle dangling out the side of the console); and it doesn't idle. The choke must be used to manually control the idle. This doesn't cause any issues. Drives great, to me at least; I don't know any better.

The pics.

So, the VIN oddity.
    The B-pillar plate, the firewall stamping and this Texas VIN reassignment plate all read 16512.

The dash VIN reads 134962.

More pics.

So the dash VIN is from a Series IV car. What's up with that?

The Texas plate thing is from it being stolen and recovered in Texas in the 70's. Maybe the thieves changed the dash VIN and didn't bother with the others?

Anyway, when we went to get it titled, the gal at the courthouse titled it with the VIN she saw through the windshield and did no further inspection. It bugs me a bit, but I wasn't about to bring up this kind of discrepancy and have the Z impounded or something crazy they might do.

Also, of all things, it's numbers matching. (besides that VIN of course )

Thanks!
    Last edited by XplosiveLugnut; 06-27-2014 at 01:23 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-27817

The dash has definitely been replaced at some time in the past. The oil pressure gauge is not a Series I gauge. The dash vin plate comes out with the dash. As for any legal problems, don't know how these things are handled in your state. But I would not wait to resolve it. You wouldn't want to ruin a future sale because someone caught it. OR... getting stopped by a nosey cop and getting your car impounded.

Your situation in not "an oddity", it is a future legal problem you bought along with the Z. At the very least, I would be banging on the seller's door wanting some consideration for the troubles he has inflicted upon you.
    1971 240Z HLS30A 17574 L24-021025

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

There's a lot of stolen '75 and older cars in Alabama. All you need to get a title is a hand written bill of sale. Our DMV didn't communicate with other states computer systems, that's the way it was explained to me when I bought my 1st '72.
    I see it came from an auction. I googled the newer vin#, VIN HLS30134962 - the Full Information on the Vehicle
    Maybe it was a rebuild?
    Last edited by siteunseen; 06-27-2014 at 09:47 AM.
    1972 240Z #918 New Sight Orange
    1977 280Z #305 Light Blue Metallic
    1972 240Z #110 Persimmons Red

Member ID
    CZCC-4044

what is the real vin number stamped on the driver side firewall?
    things will only bother you if you let them.

82 280zxt 4 spd auto
    73 240z--lsd, cv axles
    short throw info

Member ID
    CZCC-27817

SN 16512 would have been a 12/70 date of manufacture. All the other Series I identifiers show in your pictures. The Texas Tag on the B pillar apparently is used to correct the erroneous dash tag. Check with the Texas DMV.

At any rate, what did your bill of sale or previous title say? If the previous owner wrote down the higher number, you may have a problem straightening it out. If it was the DMV clerk's fault, you should be able to get a corrected title.

I bought my car in Ohio and had an odometer reading entered on the title as 65xxx miles when it should have been 62xxx (blame it on dyslexia). When the Florida clerk examined the car and found the odometer reading 64yyy, she said she couldn't enter a lower number than the previous title. After I explained it was really 164yyy miles, she just entered "unverified" on the title.
    Last edited by djwarner; 06-27-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

djwarner:
    I checked the law here in Florida about 12 years ago - the law requires that you have a Police Officer or FL HWP Officer present when you remove a dash with the VIN attached - in order to replace the dash. Then they have to be present as you transfer the VIN tag and reinstall the replacement dash. No one actually does that of course - but it is the law here.

If Florida issues a Rebuilt Title - they too use the serial or chassis number of the car {Not the entire VIN} - then they create a new VIN Tag to be affixed to the car - it will Begin with FLA- followed by the numbers.

Just FYI
    Carl

Member ID
    CZCC-28370

Quote Originally Posted by djwarner View Post
    At any rate, what did your bill of sale or previous title say? If the previous owner wrote down the higher number, you may have a problem straightening it out.
    Those have to be retrieved from a safe deposit box. I'll have that info in the next couple days or so.

Quote Originally Posted by djwarner View Post
    The dash has definitely been replaced at some time in the past. The oil pressure gauge is not a Series I gauge. The dash vin plate comes out with the dash.
    What are the oil gauge differences? The only thing I looked at was the speedo. It starts at 20 mph. That's a Series I speedo right? Are there other "Series n" identifiers on the dash I could check?

It's awesome bartsscooterservice's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Looking at the pics I think HLS30 16512 12/70 date of manufacture is correct. So Series 1..

The steering wheel also has the closed spokes from a series 1. They could have replaced the dash and the meters..
    Also the rear hatch has the series 1 vents, and the 240z logo on the side pillars.
    HLS30 32581, 5/71 Matching numbers

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Member ID
    CZCC-27817

The Series I oil pressure gauge read up to 140 psig. As Bart said, the steering wheel is also a Series I. The other significant interior change has to do with the jack and tool kit location. In a Series I these are located behind the seat and have a flimsy plastic cover. In the Series II and later, these are stored in pockets under the rear floor.

Member ID
    CZCC-28370

I've hypothesized a bit. I think the whole dash is a Series II except the speedo which was swapped over because of the odometer. A shame they didn't remember to swap the VINs. Did Series II's have the Jeco mechanical clock?

Anyway, here's an excerpt from the bill of sale.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lol_wrong_zps3b5d0c6f.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	72482
    Ha! automatic. And of course, wrong VIN. And in looking for the title, I've realized I've yet to lay eyes on it. I don't think I've received it yet. Hmm...

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

Both my 72s have the Jeco clock, '77 does not.

It took about a month to get mine, I'm in Etowah county.
    Last edited by siteunseen; 06-30-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    1972 240Z #918 New Sight Orange
    1977 280Z #305 Light Blue Metallic
    1972 240Z #110 Persimmons Red

Thread Information