Thread: Rear wheel bearings.

Acts first, Thinks later speedyblue's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4743

Lightbulb Rear wheel bearings.

I need to replace one of my rear wheel bearings due to a bad noise. This involves taking out the stub axle and going to a shop to press off the old one and press on the new one. This takes the car off the road, which I don't want too much of.
    Now here's the hard part. The 280zx seems to be fairly similar around this area, with rear brakes interchanging and half shafts bolting on and stuff. So is the stub axle the same for both cars, the 1983 280zx and the 1973 240z. This would be much easier if I had a new bearing ready on the stub axle to install once i got the old one out.

I know it is a bit left field, but anyone tried it?

Thanks
    Scott
    I drive a Z because there simply weren't enough station wagons to go around.

Member ID
    CZCC-5428

Speedy,
    You don't sound like you want to tackle this job. With that in mind, go get a 240 rear strut with control arm attached (then you don't have to pull the pivot pin). Swap your shock with junkyard shock and bolt "new" bearings to car.

If boneyard bearings are also bad then you can do your origional strut right without taking the car off the road.

And you thought this would be a hard job.
    If you want it done right then do it yourself.

Member ID
    CZCC-4743

Yeah not really enthused about it, but I have to do it. Just I have a 280zx sitting here and I can steal the part from it easily if it will bolt in. Takes the car off the road for a shorter time, which is handy since it is my daily driver. Don't know of too many 240z at the wreckers around here, so it may be hard to find a complete strut to swap.

Member ID
    CZCC-3852

Don't know the answer to your question but you could get the two bearings in advance (both should be replaced) pull it to bits say Fri night and get the job done say Sat am. Jon Siddons who races a Z, does targa's etc has a garage on the Gold Coast somewhere, he amy be able to suggest something.

Member ID
    CZCC-4743

That was the option I was stuck with. Pull out friday night/saturday morn, then head to a shop to get them pressed, then home and refitted. Just sussing if this way will work. If Jon races Z's he may be able to help me with my suspension ideas as well

Thread Information