Thread: $%#! the Z just got hit...

Member ID
    CZCC-1574

Default $%#! the Z just got hit...

3 miles from home, just now, coming back from work.
    It was bumper to bumper traffic but somehow the guy who caused all of this must have been going pretty fast (I don't know how...) His Civic totalled itself into the back of an older Jeep Cherokee which is probably also going to the crusher after this which then hit a Cutlass which then hit me... Thank god for the Cutlass' ultra soft shocks, cause just before he hit me he must obviously have slammed his brakes cause his nose dove down and basically only wrecked my rear bumper and slightly pushed in the lower valance behind it... The japanese tail lights I brought back two years ago were spared... no buckling in the C pillar... phew I got lucky here folks....

I thought I had heard a rumour these Japanese/Euro bumpers were NLA - is that true or not?
    Obviously I can't call any shops tonight, wondering if someone here knows....

-e
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3095.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	5304  

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

It's true that the center section is no longer available but that damage doesn't look too bad. When I got my bumpers straightened and rechromed they had to do a bit of work on them. I suspect yours can be fixed as well.

Member ID
    CZCC-3312

Good to see its not too bad and that noone was hurt (i'm guessing since it wasnt mentioned)

Is there any difference between the euro bumper and the US bumper structurally besides lack of holes? Maybe if they cant straighten it out you could get a good US bumper and weld up any extra holes and have them chrome it then?

Chances are they could put it back so it at least looks normal. I think a previous owner damaged the front bumper on my Z at one point and had it straightened out. The mounting points are all screwy now, but shimming with washers appropriately lets it sit normal.
    -Andrew

03/72 240Z HLS30-70xxx - R.I.P. 2011/01/04

Member ID
    CZCC-791

I'm glad the damage wasn't worse! Good luck finding a repair/replacement. Do you think a bumper rechromer could fix it? just a thought.

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Good ideas to check with the rechromer. They have a wealth of experience that should play in your favor. The biggest problem with a hit of this type is that when you re-stress the metal back into shape, sometimes the chrome cracks and begins to peel. That's why a rechromer would know how to best straighten, rechrome and polish to make it look the best.

However, having seen this hit on several Z's, I would have you check the hatch area floor to ensure that there has been NO buckliing (lifting, bowing, no longer level). The bumpers are mounted onto the rear valance which has L brackets welded to it and tacked to the floor of the hatch. With the hit you have (apparently a forward and downward smack, essentially the last of the nose down of braking), the force to those L brackets has been UP and to the FRONT.

After checking the hatch area, crawl underneath with a flashlight and look at the back of the valance. What appears as no damage in the hatch, may be a crumpled bumper support below.

Just my 2¢
    Enrique

Member ID
    CZCC-1243

HOLY CRAP ERIC, dont scare us like that. Geez, when I read the title, I thought it was gunna be bad... got the knleenex out and everything.

So glad it was only a minor accident (for your car). Thank your lucky stars the cruise ship behind you put on its brakes!!

All the best, and I hope for a speedy recovery for your beauty

Member ID
    CZCC-4431

Default Phew!

Just think of how much worse it could have been! As long as you got away with the rear bumper I think you got off lucky! 2 days ago some moron reversed into my drivers front guard. And being the careful, responsible person the were DID'NT leave a note. It was a nice dent to greet me in the morning. So in a way, your lucky it all went on while you were there.

Good luck with the repairs.
    75 260Z Coupe
    94 CBR600 *RIP*

Member ID
    CZCC-1574

Guys,

Thanks for the kind words...
    I know I know I came out real lucky, especially considering two cars were probably totalled last night... I shouldn't really be complaining... but it's a week before I get on the plane to get married and I only come back the day before I drive up to Monterey for Historics and the Z Corral...

So basically if I am going to get it fixed for the Z Corral that only leaves this coming week - seems like a stretch to me... I guess I could always show up at the Z Corral with some first aid bandages taped to the rear bumper and go for the comic award...

It's the timing that bums me out most of all... oh well...

Does anyone have any recommendations as far as LosAngeles based re-chromers? I'll hit the local weekly 50s/60s americana car show today in Pasadena and go ask the guys with the big Mercurys, Fords, etc where they go...

-e
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZbyJeff Ludes.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	5307  
    Last edited by EricB; 07-24-2004 at 04:55 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-1303

Mr. E,

I've got a bumper here that you may borrow. It may not be as shiney, but it is straight.
    DatsunVic CZC1303
    ダットサンビク
    72 HLS30 94071
    72 510
    70 SRL311 13136
    71 PL521
    Los Angeles
    Visit My Other Photo Site

mmm Z cars.. ohhh bbabyy PrOxLaMuS©'s Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4022

OMG EricB...

that is the sexiest Z picture I have ever seen!

I love it!

1978 280Z Boring Mods :
    F54/P90a, Holset HY35W turbo, 3.75" downpipe, 3" exhuast, NPR intercooler, 440cc injectors, Innovate Wideband, Arizona Zcar springs, Tokico 5 ways, MSA sway bars
    www.putfile.com/proxlamus
    SEE my 280Z in ACTION! VIDEO!

Member ID
    CZCC-1574

MrV this is MrE - thanks for the offer on the loaner bumper...
    I am going to try to fix mine... I'm sure someone at the Fuddrucker's car show tonight will recommend a place to go to...

I can always go to Z Corral w/o bumpers... or do the bandaid thing as I wrote above... I think I'll do that...

Hey MrProxlamus©, go to www.jeffludes.com for more amazing car photography by the same guy that shot my Z.... He's real good....

-e

Member ID
    CZCC-1243

That's a photo?? I always thought it was a computer render..

HLS30165540
    Member ID
    CZCC-1052

Eric, call "THE BUMPER SHOP, INC." They are located on 828 E. Florence Ave. Los Angeles, Ca (323) 585-3865 or 2921. These guys hooked me up when I lived down in San Diego. They drove a freshly chromed bumper out to my house (3 hour drive) and exchanged it for my old beat-up bumper on the spot.
    The 1973 240Z 165540 Slightly modified. L28, 5sp, cam, headers, MSD 6AL, power windows, power door locks, leather seats, custom this and custom that.

Member ID
    CZCC-4747

Post Honda Boys....

Man, that was a real close one! I guess I can chalk this one to another "Why I hate Honda Boys." Your Z is really nice! Looks a lot like the way I want to do mine up. I really feel for other Z owners who have wrong done to their car. Speaking of another "Honda" accident...my friend was driving in his Toyota Tocoma through a green light, when he got T-boned by a chick driving...well...a Civic. She wasn't paying anything to the fact her light was red. Totaled both cars. I'm glad that didn't happen to you, or any of us. Drive carefully and watch out for all the morons on the road!
    Happy Motoring.
    Brian
    Ramstein, Germany
    Lady J has been sold..Feb. 20, 2007
    "I miss my Z!"
    Shift_Imagination
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1727310
    http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=L...ch=izzy%20numa

Member ID
    CZCC-1574

Hey Ed,

Where did you find those guys?
    I just called them and they're totally cool... heck had I called 10min earlier one of their drivers who is on his way back from Ventura could have stopped at my work here in Thousand Oaks and picked up the bumper right now... As things stand they are picking it up tomorrow from home and will call with an estimate... wow so far so good...

-e

Member ID
    CZCC-1420

Talking

Eric...............S T O P driving that beauty to work!!!! You know how many brainless sheeple (people who function like a sheep) there are on the 101 or any freeway during prime time. I'm sure you own a commuter! If not, get one. Your Z is way to nice to subject it to that sort of a risk. I can certainly understand the urge to drive such a classic, but please please please spare us all from having a heart attack. Just a note; I live about 30 minutes from T.O. Also, good luck with the wifey.

Member ID
    CZCC-1574

I was just talking to someone about that... you know it wouldn't have made a difference if I only drove the Z to work every once in a while - still could have happened just the same. From your sig you probably also have done the F54 in the 240, and well, you know just how good that feels... I only just finished break-in, hadn't driven it since December on a regular basis and can't get enough of it now... I'm sure you can imagine...

It's time like this when I wish that Mulholland didn't stop at Topanga Canyon and went all the way to Griffith Park - probably a longer drive but so much more entertaining than the 101/134...

Anyways I pulled the bumper off last night, and it's waiting to be picked up by the driver from "The Bumper Shop"... we'll see what they say when they get it back at their place... Yeah the lower valance panel is dented underneath where the bumper used to be but in the grand scheme of things it really isn't THAT dramatic... sure a panel which was once flawless now has a dent in it but not too bad... it never was a trailer queen anyways... battle scars or something like that...

-e

HLS30165540
    Member ID
    CZCC-1052

Eric,

I found those guys at a "Good Guys" car show in Del Mar, CA. Out of all the other bumper / chrome guys up there they where the only one's that knew what a Datsun 240z was.
    Hope it all works out for you, let us know.

Ed
    The 1973 240Z 165540 Slightly modified. L28, 5sp, cam, headers, MSD 6AL, power windows, power door locks, leather seats, custom this and custom that.

Thread Information