Thread: Windshield Glass -- foggy

Member ID
    CZCC-2419

Default Windshield Glass -- foggy

My 1972 240z has the original windshield in it. When the sun shines
    it looks cloudy. I think it is sand/dirt pitted. Has anyone used the
    windshield polishing kit from Eastwood ? Or any other polish for that matter.

- Jeff
    FUEL INJECTED '72 L24

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

the one on my 280Z has a LOT of glare at night or driving with a low sun. I assume the Florida air had "sandblasted" it that way, so I either have to get it coated or polished.

thx
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 06-07-2005 at 12:18 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

I spoke to a windshield glass repair business owner recently when we had my wife's Subaru repaired. I asked him specifically about polishing rhe windshield on the new Z and he said it would be cheaper to replace the windshield.

Since I had figured that they were NLA, I asked him for a guesstimate. It turns out that the glass is still relatively easy to obtain, it is the gasket that will affect the price dramatically.

As far as polishing, he recommends that it only be done by a true professional, and only if a replacement cannot be found.

FWIW
    Enrique

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I would agree with Enrique that you don't want to grind your glass any thinner, to preserve its strength.

Isn't there some kind of coating, like you put on your eyeglasses, to fill the (micro) pits? I might try an experiment, to skin on a very thin layer of clear polyurethane.

thx
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 06-07-2005 at 12:21 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-2419

I have two new windshield rubbers.... I have not checked on glass
    prices localy. The reason I'm asking is that I saw a glass polishing kit
    on Eastwood's web site for $39.00 or close to it. I do have access to
    a 1500 rpm polisher at my dad's body shop to do it with, but wanted to
    know if I was going to waste my time/money. any thoughts?

- Jeff
    FUEL INJECTED '72 L24

Member ID
    CZCC-5894

When polishing any type of glass Heat is the thing to worry about, A windshield is 2 pieces of .125 glass laminated together. I does not take much to generate enough heat to crack it. IMHO.

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Quote Originally Posted by JEFF
    I do have access to
    a 1500 rpm polisher at my dad's body shop to do it with, but wanted to
    know if I was going to waste my time/money. any thoughts?

- Jeff
    See EScanlon's post above. 'Nuff Said.

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

My '73s windshield had a milky look around the edge and was told that it is moisture that is getting in between the sheets of glass. I have had this happen before on old cars. Once this starts there is no cure. Gary
    I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dieing. CZC 1887 IZCC 12602 Member of NorthWest Z Car Club

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

When I had my car repainted recently I decided to replace the windshield at the same time. I ordered an after market (PPG) replacement locally for under $200 and took it to the paint shop. Since all of the glass was out already it seemed like a good thing to do. Unfortunately the new windshield cracked when trying to install it. When placed on top of the OEM windshield it was noticeably thinner and had a slightly different curvature which is why it cracked when trying to install it.

I have since reverted to the original windshield which had deep scratches from a previous owner running the wipers with no blades. I've used the Eastwood kit to completely remove the scratches but it needs some more work as there's a bit of fog in places. Also, because the scratches were so deep there's now a bit of distortion. It took hours and hours of polishing and makes quite a mess. You also have to wear a proper mask as the rhodium power is very dangerous to breathe.

At this point I may just have one of the mobile installers come out and replace it. As long as they don't break the original getting it out they can break all of the replacements they want as it would be their problem.
    -Mike
    Add your Z to my online spreadsheet registry

Member ID
    CZCC-791

MikeW:

I don't know about the "mobile installers" in your area, but out here they don't do the R & R the old fashion way, They cut your gasket in half, remove the old glass, lay in the new windsheild into the opening, and then apply tons of sealant and lay the top of the gasket onto the car. It's a really horrible way to repair a windshield. I mention this as a warning to make sure you know "HOW" they will effect the replacement before you let them touch your car.

Member ID
    CZCC-2419

[QUOTE=Bambikiller240]MikeW:

They cut your gasket in half, remove the old glass, lay in the new windsheild into the opening, and then apply tons of sealant and lay the top of the gasket onto the car.QUOTE]

WOW I would never have dreamed that would be done !! Thanks Carl.

- Jeff
    FUEL INJECTED '72 L24

Member ID
    CZCC-791

I know. My eyes bugged out of their sockets when I saw what the guy had done to my truck windshield gasket. It was too late for me to stop him as the damage had already been done. No replacement gasket available in his truck and me 50 miles from home (at work). Driving home without a windshield would have been insane.

I don't know if all of the glass replacement companies do this, but I know I'll be inquiring (and demanding proper work) before a finger gets laid on any vehicle of mine again.

Member ID
    CZCC-5195

Quote Originally Posted by Bambikiller240
    ... Driving home without a windshield would have been insane.
    If not insane, it would be quite funny. Just don't smile.......you'll get bugs in your teeth. Reminds me of a time I was in Frostproof Florida and I saw an old 60's era Cadillac Fleetwood driving down the interstate with NO TIRES, just rims. I figured the rednecks had to go get their Bush Beer and Dorals and not having any tires on their car wasn't going to stop them.

Vicky
    Zweet

Biafra for President e_racer1999's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-6883

Quote Originally Posted by Zrush
    ...and not having any tires on their car wasn't going to stop them...
    heh.... i guess no tires wouldn't stop them in quite a literal way, eh vicky?
    Jason King
    6/72 240Z / HLS30 89646 (Yellow)
    1996 Infiniti I30 *I finally have all Nissans again!*
    1971 510 4door (wife's car)
    IZCC Member #14186

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    As unfortunate as it may be, if you want to vintage race, go Euro....If you want to race for real, stick with the Z!

Member ID
    CZCC-4873

I polished my Z windshield with plastic polish I purchased to clean up the headlight covers on my Ford Taurus. It took off all the road film and wiper blade film. Now very smooth and shiney. Its not going to remove any pitting though.
    Silver 72 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-1243

Ahh so there IS such thing as a plastic polish - what brand was this do you remember?

Member ID
    CZCC-791

I use a product called 'BRASSO" to polish side markers and tail lights. It's made for polishing brass and silver and such. Works good for me.

Member ID
    CZCC-6279

Default And I thought that was just in the military!

I use a product called 'BRASSO" to polish side markers and tail lights. It's made for polishing brass and silver and such. Works good for me.
    Carl, you brought back memories of boot camp....
    Honestly, I haven't seen that on the shelf anywhere except flea markets!

Wayne
    1977 280Z "Lucy" as of 4/05

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Quote Originally Posted by wal280z
    Carl, you brought back memories of boot camp....
    Honestly, I haven't seen that on the shelf anywhere except flea markets!

Wayne
    Hey Wayne:

, That's where I first encountered Brasso also (Boot Camp).

Cut to 33 years later

I was visiting Eric Neyerlin at www.zparts.com a few years ago and he was sitting there polishing tail light lenses with a can of Brasso at his side.

Our local hardware store chain (Orchard Supply & Hardware, which is owned by Sears) carries Brasso in Household Cleaners department.

Member ID
    CZCC-4873

I also learned of Brasso in the Air Force. I always keep a can around. It works on just about every kind of metal. (lenses too.)
    I have also used 3M clear coat rubbing compound on my tail lenses. Worked great.
    Silver 72 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I use Mothers Plastic Polish, from Pepboys-they have one of the best selections of chemicals here locally, from Lexol products on... The only reason I go there-they advertise a huge selection of parts-but nothing for the Z-other than chemicals.

Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

For the glass, I have used the Eastwood product for years, you mix it to a thin paste, soak the felt polishing pad for several hours in water, and keep it moving and wet. It will take out scratches that will just bearly catch a freshly cut fingernail, and while it is a material made for lense polishing, it is not terribly aggressive when the directions are followed. I have ground my own lenses for a highschool science project, and that did give me a great deal of experience for what not to do in this instance, but the istructions, though brief, are on the money.

Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I have some finer rubbing compound. #1, I think? I was going to try that on the glass, since I don't have any brasso or the other stuff. I had a can of Mothers Al polish somewhere, too....

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

I've used both Brasso and No Touch Auto Glass Stripper. They both will remove most any kind of stains/residue but they don't do anything about scratches and pits.
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Our local hardware store chain (Orchard Supply & Hardware, which is owned by Sears) carries Brasso in Household Cleaners department.
    I just got some at Walmart, in the same area. about $3

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Quote Originally Posted by TomoHawk

Yea Gad.... I don't know which amazes me more... Feedback to a thread that started seven months ago, or the fact that the "BRASSO" brand name seems to have been lost to a generation of Americans. ;-)

OK - do they still sell Pepsi in 16oz returnable glass bottles where anyone lives? Now that's something I'd like to find for the garage...

How about a bar of Bon-Ami glass cleaner? Can anyone locate a place that still sells that?

FWIW,
    Carl

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Carl, regurgitating a 7 month dead thread is nothing around here. Sometimes a thread that's been putrified for 2 years or more will get exhumed for no apparent logical reason.

Sometimes we can get 8oz Coke bottles around here. Usually themed for the Reno, NV Hot August Nights celebration.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Once again...

The SEARCH feature of this system would be totally useless if all the comments here were to dissappear after a couple months. Why bother even keeping the archives and making system backups if nobody want to read them??

Member ID
    CZCC-2520

BRASSO !!!!!!!
    The Australian Army would have used enough of the stuff over the years to float a battleship.

These days the hat badges etc. are plastic. No blackened, flattened finger tips for todays soldiers.

I use it on my ute's bull bar and all the chromework on the Zed.

If I have any old, really dirty brass to clean, I soak it in lime juice overnight before applying the Brasso.

Hey, Carl,
    (Not OUR CARL, I mean da udder one),
    I can't remember where, (short term memory loss ?), but I'm sure I've seen bars of Bon Ami glass cleaner recently. I'll try to remember to keep an eye out for it.

Rick.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER.
    SINCE IT'S IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER.

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Once again...

The SEARCH feature of this system would be totally useless if all the comments here were to dissappear after a couple months. Why bother even keeping the archives and making system backups if nobody want to read them??
    But the regurgitation consisted of:

So it must be asked....... What value to anyone did dredging it up again provide to anyone? We now know the itinerary of your shopping trip, and we know that a common metal polish is sold at a big box retailer at a low price.

Hardly earth shattering news to anyone in the western hemisphere.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

What value to anyone did dredging it up again provide to anyone?
    Very much value for soimebody currently looking for Brasso.

CURRENT information is never "old!"

of the Silver Shield Soc. dogma420's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3789

I'd have to agree with Tomo...I don't see what the big deal about bringing up an old thread is...its almost like some people here live to bash people for it. Just chill I guess...I didn't know the stuff was at Walmart...so...maybe it helped me...so it DID GIVE VALUE TO ME....am I a moron, Carl? and that's a rhetorical question...heh...cause I know I am one and don't need to be told!
    --Dave aka Dogma420 My Gallery
    Early '72 red 110 / white (10/71)
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Well, since no one asked where Brasso could be purchased (AND it had already been stated that it was available in the housewares section of a store IMO it provided basically nothing new. (except to those who were too lazy to read it the first time it was posted)

To morons everywhere......you don't have to go to Wal-Mart to find Brasso. It is sold in many, many stores that sell household cleaners, polishes, etc.

Dave: I didn't know that YOU considered yourself a moron. I'm Sorry to hear that. I gave you credit for more than that.
    Last edited by Bambikiller240; 06-07-2005 at 05:10 PM.

Instant Human, ADD Coffee Z Kid's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-2623

And the amazing thing is if the two Carl's had resisted the urge to spread their wisdom, the thread would have been off the page of current threads and back into the archives where it would cease to irritate you. Does anyone else see the irony in posting in a thread whinging that it keeps going on and on, kinda like fighting for peace? It may just be my warped sense of humour after the last week of exam study?
    I can only please one person per day,
    Today is Not your day,
    And tomorrow is not looking good either.

Member ID
    CZCC-7760

I had some scratches on the drivers side window. (I rebuilt the mechanism) I took some Brasso and a polishing wheel and it nearly removed the scratch! Glass will polish out if you have the time and energy. Brasso is neat stuff!
    Z Saint, the vintage racer! I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Quote Originally Posted by Z Kid
    And the amazing thing is if the two Carl's had resisted the urge to spread their wisdom, the thread would have been off the page of current threads and back into the archives where it would cease to irritate you. Does anyone else see the irony in posting in a thread whinging that it keeps going on and on, kinda like fighting for peace? It may just be my warped sense of humour after the last week of exam study?
    Same as if THawk had resisted "show & tell" about his shopping trip, the thread would have stayed comfortably buried until something important could be added to it, or it could be of some use to someone.

Try laying down for peace and see where it gets you. Guess you haven't been studying history lately!

Instant Human, ADD Coffee Z Kid's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-2623

It wasnt my intention to get onto a political discussion, it was just to emphasize the irony of the situation. There was another statement that I was considering using but elected not to for crudeness. But likewise you cant say tomohawk did it so so can I, and he wasnt upset by the continued posting, he was just adding to a thread. Its odd logic, maybe I need some fresh air.
    Some more appropriate Ironic ideas:
    Unabomber - Mail bomb returned due to "insufficient postage"
    Ellen DeGeneres - Suffocates to death in the closet
    etc etc
    I can only please one person per day,
    Today is Not your day,
    And tomorrow is not looking good either.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

you don't have to go to Wal-Mart to find Brasso. It is sold in many, many stores that sell household cleaners, polishes, etc.
    Ifyou think that is so, why is it that I couldn't find any until recently? I look every time I visit a hardware store, or DIY place, and only now found it ar the WalMart.

Member ID
    CZCC-791

T, I know that is so. Maybe you looked in the wrong places, but Brasso is as common as.......well, Brass and/or any other metal you'd care to polish.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

If the Brasso works out well, I'll get a spare can before it disappears from the shelves at the Walmart.

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

Tomo--

Since glass is a slow moving liquid, why don't you just wait about 100 years? The scratches will be gone, and you won't have to waste your money at Walmart.

Just my .02 dollars.

Carl--I'm not a moron (i was being faa-see-shush (sp?)), but thought it'd make Tomo feel better to have someone on his side for a change.

Brasso I don't think is in Oregon, at least I've never heard of it. Scratches give your Z character anyways...you polish them out, and someone will T bone you tomorrow--that's how karma works.
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-3294
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-5416
    4856′19″N, 11926′6″W Oroville, Washington at the top of US97 in the Sunny Okanogan Valley

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW
    During my sad attempts to become the next great trumpet player while in junior high the brass section used Brasso to shine up their instruments. It was sold in both the local grocery stores (in a town of 1500) -- and still is. It's a common household product that people have been using for years. But, if it was only available at Wal-Mart (Wally World, Megalo Mart) I'd learn to live without.
    1970 240Z - 7/70 HLS30-07273
    1971 240Z - 12/70 HLS30-17821
    1972 240Z given away, then went to crusher
    1983 280ZXT sold to finance 1970
    1992 Chevy Shortbox K1500
    1999 BMW R1100GS

Rust Never Sleeps

Neil Young

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Z Kid, such an astute observation, too bad it will just get lost in the shuffle of obscurity which is where dredged up old threads eventually end up. I just sigh and take it in stride.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-6883

you guys bicker like a married couple..... or married orgy, i guess.....
    Jason King
    IZCC Member #14186

As unfortunate as it may be, if you want to vintage race, go Euro....If you want to race for real, stick with the Z!

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Quote Originally Posted by Go240Zags
    ........ But, if it was only available at Wal-Mart (Wally World, Megalo Mart) I'd learn to live without.
    Exactly where I'm coming from. No use adding another nickle to the Walton fortune, espicially after all they have done for small business owners, workers, and towns throughout America.

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Exactly where I'm coming from. No use adding another nickle to the Walton fortune.....
    No it isn't.

Your point was about exhuming putrified 7 month old dead threads without your explicit permission....oops....with no logical (to you) reason.

Then you went on to try to hijack the thread onto truly meaningless discussions of a rare event-themed product that is only available on a small regional basis and therefore of interest to a very SMALL group of people. Definitely in the NON-"earth shattering news to anyone in the western hemisphere."

And whether or not someone asked where to buy Brasso is NOT a requirement for adding to a thread. If it were, then a LOT of posting would not be made.

Much of the posting are replies to UN-ASKED questions, which pertain to features, repairs, or other subjects that have been discussed in a myriad of forms. There are times when the unsolicited post gives rise to some of the most interesting posts on this site.

Get off your high horse Carl. This isn't your site to moderate, nor is it a requirement that people get your permission to post, nor to add to ANY posting, regardless of it's age.

Additionally, based on the responses to the availability of Brasso at a major retailer, it's apparent that there was some interest to other people other than "morons".

So don't try to BS everyone by saying it's about Wal-Mart nor it's business, it isn't.

Enrique

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

Quote Originally Posted by Z Kid
    Z Kid is right on the mark. Carl button your lip , WHO DIED AND MADE YOU KING ? Some times you are so off base I can't believe it. You are sounding like your avatar looks . Try decalf ! Gary
    Last edited by beandip; 06-08-2005 at 07:15 PM.
    I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dieing. CZC 1887 IZCC 12602 Member of NorthWest Z Car Club

Member ID
    CZCC-791

E & B:

Nobody made me king, but neither did anyone make you two kings. You are as entitled to your opinion as I am, however I will continue to speak mine whether you like it or not, so GET OVER IT. Don't ever think you are accomplishing anything by telling me what YOU think I should do.

Don't get me wrong, you still have "my permission" to whine and to piss & moan (just like me), but know that I won't be paying attention to you.

Quote Originally Posted by EScanlon
    No it isn't.

Your point was about exhuming putrified 7 month old dead threads without your explicit permission....oops....with no logical (to you) reason.
    Yes, it is. I have more than one point of view, though I chose initially to not mention my distaste for THAT store . Had THawk mentioned another store I would STILL have found the post in question to be pointless after it being dormant for 7 months.

Quote Originally Posted by EScanlon
    Then you went on to try to hijack the thread onto truly meaningless discussions of a rare event-themed product that is only available on a small regional basis and therefore of interest to a very SMALL group of people. Definitely in the NON-"earth shattering news to anyone in the western hemisphere."
    WTF are you talking about? You have stated in the past that you are a former member of the US Air Force. Anyone who's been in the military (even 1Bravo 6 in Australia) is fully aware that Brasso is a product sold WORLD WIDE, so don't try to muddy the waters with with THAT crap! It's a lie and YOU ( and I, and 1 Bravo 6, any other current or former servicemen, and many other people) know it!

http://www.design-technology.org/brasso.htm
    "Brasso was introduced into Britain in 1905. It still remains the best-known metal polish in the world. A representative of a company called Reckitt and Sons visited Australia at the turn of the century and found that a a liquid shoe was proving to be more popular than the paste type of metal polish sold in the U.K.

He brought a sample of the liquid back home which eventually became the household metal polish that we know today. The Brasso recipe consists of a siliceous polishing powder suspended in an ammonium soap jelly and dispersed in white spirits.

This is a product that has barely changed since the turn of the century. In fact the distinctive tin has only changed once throughout the last hundred years and that was during the Second World War in 1941, when the tin had to be replaced by a glass bottle because of the shortage of metal.............

Quote Originally Posted by beandip
    Z Kid is right on the mark. Carl button your lip , WHO DIED AND MADE YOU KING ? Some times you are so off base I can't believe it. You are sounding like your avatar looks . Try decalf ! Gary
    Looks like YOU think that someone made you king. WRONG again! But go ahead a rant on, it gives me something to laugh at.
    Last edited by Bambikiller240; 06-08-2005 at 10:40 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-2520

YAY !!!!!!!!!!,
    GO FOR IT YOU BLOKES ..........

This is gettin' InTeReStInG.

Rick.

Member ID
    CZCC-2520

AAAhhhhhh, Yes,

You Yanks have a lot to thank us Aussies for, particularly Brasso and Vegemite.

Rick.

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

...don't forget Russell Crowe too....just kiddin.

Oh, and Men at Work, INXS....

Hey lets keep this thread going with meaningless drivel! I'm all for it....

I've lived in Portland, Oregon area all my life, and I have never seen or heard of Brasso by the way...but hey I only configure and maintain raid-5 servers all day and don't have the kind of expertise it takes to be aware of something so complicated as a product on a shelf that goes by the name of Brasso. This thread kinda reminds me of being in elementary school, if you didn't know something that the other kids did, you got made fun of...real stupid crap like that.

Oh well...but gosh, maybe I should go check out the Walmart here and see if they have this stuff...sounds like a good product to have around for its uses.

Carl, do you use Windows Operating System? Because Walmart could learn a thing or two about domination from Bill Gates. By the way, Bill could buy Walmart if he so chooses. I could show you how to use Linux as your desktop if you'd like, unless you want to add another nickel to the Gates' Family fortune. I mean, if you think about it, they put all the electronic calculator companies out of business a long time ago, that Bill Gates is ruthless.

Carl, what operating system do you use?
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Come on Rick, there are two things we Yanks got from You that we just couldn't get along with out! Well, Three-Frank, Buster, and Steve!
    The Koala Brothers, and Crock Hunter-everything else is well, an ashtray on a motorbike(No quite a sheep-but...

Thanks for Brasso, but I don't think anything but a solvent could get the cloud out of the lamination adhesive in a windshield.
    Will

Just for your entertainment...
    http://adisney.go.com/disneychannel/...sicVideos.html
    -Hey, it works for my son!

Member ID
    CZCC-6883

i've never had vegemite. is it available in the US (without going to a specialty shop)?

P.S. guys..... I AM THE KING!
    Jason King
    IZCC Member #14186

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Quote Originally Posted by dogma420
    By the way, Bill could buy Walmart if he so chooses.
    This got me curious so I had to look it up. Since I'm in software I certainly have my opinions about Bill and avoid shopping at Walmart (there's a nice SuperTarget a few miles from me).

At the end of the day today the market capitalization of Walmart was about $226 billion and Microsoft was about $236 billion. Bill's share of MS is $46.5 billion. The top 5 members of the Walton family are worth a combined $90.7 billion.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cq?d=v1&s=wmt%2c+msft

http://www.forbes.com/static/bill2005/rank.html
    -Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-3789

my bad...just trying to make a point, as it seemed hypocritical to me...

so...looks like the Waltons could buy Gates!
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-1243

GE is where it's at, $381 billion, thanks Jackie

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Quote Originally Posted by dogma420
    my bad...just trying to make a point, as it seemed hypocritical to me...

so...looks like the Waltons could buy Gates!

Geez Dave, don't give them Waltons any bright ideas.

I haven't checked it out completely, but I think that Bill and Melissa Gates make a lot more charitable donations through his/her foundation than the Walton Gang does. (or he gets better media coverage for what he/she does than the Walton's get).

Yes, I do use Windows, and I did put a nickle or two in Bills pocket, once. It will be a long time before he gets anymore $$ from me, but I don't think his business has done as much damage to people all over the country as the Walton Gang. (JMO)

BTW, I doubt you could teach me Linux. I'm sure that you know it very well, but I'm not that computer savvy. I know just enough about using Windows to be dangerous and it has taken me almost 8 years to learn that little.

Member ID
    CZCC-2520

Jason,

Every Yank I've met has absolutely HATED the taste of Vegemite. I know Tanny hates it. (Haven't heard from him for some time).

I reckon we exported it to America to get back at you for all the third class soapies we have on T.V. e.g. The Young and the Restless and The Bold and The Beautiful. (Can't get a sensible word out of "She Who Must Be Obeyed" while they're on.

Rick.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I recon you'd get a gobfull if you turned her tele off during one of those shows, and I recon they would be highly sensable from her point of view!
    I lived through a similar mistake just last week-still walking funny though the Doctor says the limp will go away when the bite out of arse grows back!!

Publicity on the size of the donation has nothing to do with helping the charity, and everything to do with the public opinion of the donator. Even Charles Emmerson Winchester the third-habitual Pompass ass extrordinaire had that in his persona.
    If I gave a US charity 30 million and asked them to keep it on the QT-don't you think they would? They would have to tell the IRS, but that is all... Advertising is used to sell a product-be it a tangeable good or and intangeable opinion.
    Will

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Quote Originally Posted by hls30.com
    .....Publicity on the size of the donation has nothing to do with helping the charity, and everything to do with the public opinion of the donator.
    Duh. (ten characters)

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Carl,
    You are the only person I know who spells DUH with ten characters!

Member ID
    CZCC-6883

i'm always into trying new things..... as soon as i see some vegemite....
    Jason King
    IZCC Member #14186

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

I've heard it said that vegemite has more than 5 times the vitamins by volume than any other substance known to man.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-1243

PM me your address Jason - as long as the post office doesn't mind sending food overseas...?

Member ID
    CZCC-6883

DONE! as long as it's not anthrax, should be fine.
    Jason King
    IZCC Member #14186

Member ID
    CZCC-1243

Quote Originally Posted by e_racer1999
    DONE! as long as it's not anthrax, should be fine.
    It doesn't taste quite that bad

Member ID
    CZCC-2520

Now, now, Lachlan,

Remember mate, we've been eating Vegemite since childhood. Our "buddies" from up north grew up with their taste buds being tempted with things like peanut butter and jelly sangas. Oooohhh, YUCK.

Might be best to just send him the label off a jar first.

Rick.
    Last edited by 1 Bravo 6; 06-11-2005 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Added a bit

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

I don't know, Rick. My parents were from Guyana. Compared to some of the things I ate growing up, it can't be that bad! I never cared much for peanut butter and jelly, however.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-6883

how can you not like PB&J? it's like a staple! well, i suppose not a staple, since those taste like metal
    Jason King
    IZCC Member #14186

Member ID
    CZCC-2803

Smile Elvis sandwich anyone?

You gotta try a peanut butter and banana sandwich sometime...oh, yummy!

Member ID
    CZCC-7554

Vegemite isn't that bad if you chase it with a little Brasso.

Member ID
    CZCC-1243

I wonder which would be harder to find in America - Vegemite or Brasso?

Member ID
    CZCC-3797

I have two cans of Brasso on the shelf in my garage and I see it everyday on the shelf at work at ACE Hardware. I always thought it was very common here. Now, Vegemite, that's a whole different story.
    2005 Pontaic GTO

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Quote Originally Posted by sblake01

I have two cans of Brasso on the shelf in my garage and I see it everyday on the shelf at work at ACE Hardware. I always thought it was very common here.

Now, Vegemite, that's a whole different story.

It is.

Trader Joe's used to carry Vegemite a few years ago. I looked for it today, but it seems they no longer carry it.

We have a store in town that carries foodstuffs popular with Brits. I wonder, do they eat vegemite too, or is it an Aussie only thing?
    Last edited by Bambikiller240; 06-11-2005 at 07:43 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Exactly what is Vegemite? Is it like, vegetarian spam? Post a picture of a tin, box, or wrapper!
    Will

Member ID
    CZCC-1243

How can you not know what vegemite is!! Uh! BTW Carl, Brit's are known to eat Marmite, it's a bit like Vegemite except not as manly. Go figure! :P

Will, behold the jar of australian cultural goodness!!

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Lachlan,

I'm on this side of the pond, well beyond the back of Burke-the supply trucks don't roll this far, and no one has had any left at the end of awalkabout to share, or taken the energy to cary an empty jar-but sisnce it is a Kraft product, I will see if the next truck can bring some in.
    You always knew things were better in Australia than in the USA-I guess now you have proof!
    Thanks for the picture, the only intro I have ever had to is was in the lyric, and this thread!
    I hope there is no custom for vegemite like there is with shooting your first deer....
    Will

Member ID
    CZCC-2520

Marmite tastes NOTHING like Vegemite.

Vegemite contains;
    Yeast Extract, Salt, Mineral Salt(508), Malt Extract( From Barley), Natural Colour, (150d)(Contains Preservative 220), Vegetable Extract< Niacin, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Folate.
    It's suitable for vegetarians.

Look it up on www.vegemite.com.au.

I have serious doubts that it would be any use on a foggy windscreen though.

Rick.
    Last edited by 1 Bravo 6; 06-12-2005 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Added a bit

Member ID
    CZCC-7760

How can the Aussies be giving us a bad time... They call their body men, 'panel beaters'. Who ever heard of such a thing. Maybe in their newest dictionary it will say 'bondo pushers'. Now that's descriptive!
    Z Saint, the vintage racer! I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Member ID
    CZCC-6883

vegetarian here, so vegemite sounds pretty fun...
    Jason King
    IZCC Member #14186

Member ID
    CZCC-2520

"Panel Beaters" and "Bondo Pushers" ????????????
    Hope you've got a sense of humour Loren,

Apart from the fact that Henry Ford's original blueprints must have been copied in a mirror image causing the steering wheel and other right hand side components to be placed on the LEFT hand side;
    It's obvious that the American motor industry is leading the world in anti polution because, for decades, their cars haven't used petrol, hence the term "GAS" pedal.
    American radio aerials must be modelled after an ant's feelers as they are termed "ANTenna".
    That part of the American car body which covers the engine compartment must have been designed by Al Capone as it is termed a "HOOD".
    Likewise, the rear end must have been named by an elephant trainer who, for reasons unknown to us, called it a "TRUNK".
    One of the designers must have previously made guitars, hence the mudguard being called a "FENDER".

O.K. I'm wearing my steel helmet and flack jacket and fearlessly await retaliation.

Rick.
    Last edited by 1 Bravo 6; 06-13-2005 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Added a bit

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Rick,
    Sounds like you are deep in a Vegemite withdrawl-ya grumpy bastard!
    If you can't find any at home, we can get it now through the power of ebay!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

Will

Member ID
    CZCC-2520

Nah, it's O.K. Will,
    I keep a large jar of it in the cupboard for whenever I need a "Fix".

Rick.

Member ID
    CZCC-7760

Rick, there you go again with those strange spellings.... HUMOR not humour. I can understand most of the names but why call it a bonnet? Maybe a hat or cap or how about hood? Something that hoods the engine, right? Now I just cannot understand calling it a bonnet. Maybe someone put a 'bonnet' over the engine on one of the first autos and it stuck, right? How about glove or whisky box? What do you guys call them? What else can you put in them? Braces... How in the world did braces come from suspenders. Do they brace the pants or suspend the pants? People in this world really need to know these things!

Here are some Mississippi River sayings I bet you did not know... "Well stacked" means a paddle wheel boat with nice large stacks. A thing of beauty in it's day. "Blowing your stack" comes from pumping steam into the stacks to knock the ash out of them. Watch out, he's blowing his stack! (See, they burned a lot of wood to create steam and the ash builds up inside the stack. To keep it from choking the fire they used a stream of high pressure steam to blow the ash up and out of...! You get get it, right?)

It is funny how these things start and what they mean today. But Bonnet? Hmmmm?

Member ID
    CZCC-2520

Some very good points there Loren,

However, we can't lay claim to either the spelling or the terminology as we inherited them from the Poms.

As for something being well stacked, I assure you mate, we certainly are NOT refering to a couple of smokey chimneys.

Rick.

Thread Information