Thread: Last week, on my way to work...

Member ID
    CZCC-6478

Default Last week, on my way to work...

Part of the route I travel to work each day is along a four lane divided highway which has a well positioned stop light and a straight stretch of road. One morning last week I was approaching the light in the left lane when it turned red. A late 60's Chevelle SS was in the right lane and he decided to pull into the left lane in front of me just before the intersection. Of course I moved into the right lane and approached the light. As I slowed I noticed that the Chevelle SS was in really nice shape. It was painted arrest-me-red with two white racing stripes and a vanity plate which read "2 FAST".

I pulled to a stop and looked over. It was on. When the light turned green, I dropped the clutch and took off. As I shifted into second, I could see the Chevelle in my side mirror, about two car lengths back with its nose raised high as he tried to catch up. As I shifted into third, I eased off at about 65 mph and the Chevelle continued accelerating past me, the driver looking pissed off.

I tell you, that morning run made my whole day...

On a totally unrelated issue, I just finished reading "Cannonball!: World's Greatest Outlaw Road Race" by Brock Yates. This is a truly entertaining read that I recommend to any car nut out there.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...96828?v=glance

Member ID
    CZCC-5195

Wow, I thought I was going to be reading a story about how you wrecked that beautiful Z on your way to work. Going to the ZFest Auto Cross on June 11th Sean?

Vicky
    Zweet

Member ID
    CZCC-1760

If it was a 396 Chevelle he must have missed a shift or had a really lousy running engine. I also thought this was going to be a crunch story via your introduction. But it is good that this event made your day and boosted your spirits.
    Ron
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    VIN: HLS30-16483
    Mfg Date: Dec, 1970

Member ID
    CZCC-6478

Default Green means go!

Vicky - No, unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to make the autoX. I'm getting ready to head out on vacation at the end of next week (10-26 June). We'll be doing a tour of Florida. Actually, if I time it just right, I may be able to pass through Ocala on the 11th. I guess we'll see. I don't think my wife would want me running the Honda (Odyssey) through the autoX though. I can just imagine the tires howling in protest!

Kinfish - I just checked the following link and it looks like a 396 Chevelle should run 0-60 mph in the 6.5 sec range (http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...-history.shtml).

I also recently ran a late model Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT (0-60 mph 5.7 sec) form a standing start and held my own (door handle to door handle) http://www.modernracer.com/subarulegacygt.html

and a 2001ish BMW M3 Convertable (0-60 mph ~5.4 sec) from a rolling start, couldn't close on me. http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html

A few years ago I ran against my buddies 300ZX TT (Stock, 0-60 mph 5.2-6sec) from a standing start and he could not close on me through 65 mph.

I figure my 240Z would run 0-60mph in 5.5-6.0 sec range.

DISCLAIMER - all of these runs were made on a secluded four-lane highway where the limit is 55 mph and I usually back out of the throttle after I shift into third (~62mph).

PS: I changed the title of my post

Member ID
    CZCC-7418

Sean, what is that color? A buddy of mine has a brown (color 114) 72. It has the tan interior like yours. He is taking it to the paint shop this coming weekend and wants to paint it a BMW blue. Man, I like that green, I'm going to go get him and tell him to check out your color first!!! Thanks
    Tom Moore
    73 240Z mfg 12/72
    DGV's, ZX dist 5spd

Member ID
    CZCC-6478

ncz,

The color my car is painted is based upon the 1973 240Z green (avocado?) with a lot of gold metalic flake mixed in. It's a base coat / clear coat. When the sun hits the car, it's stunning.

Cheers,

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

I thought it was going to be another one of them storys...
    HLS30-217804 6/75 "The Unnatural One"

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-6478

Bill,

I guess I should have better titled my initial message. BTW that's one cool avatar!

Cheers,

HLS30165540
    Member ID
    CZCC-1052

Nice, one can dream
    The 1973 240Z 165540 Slightly modified. L28, 5sp, cam, headers, MSD 6AL, power windows, power door locks, leather seats, custom this and custom that.

Member ID
    CZCC-6478

Ed,

I just took a look at your gallery. Man that's one sweet ride you're building. I see you've got the engine installed. How long before you get it ready to drive?

Cheers,

Charou
    Member ID
    CZCC-7580

I still remember one night back in 2003 when I destroyed a new WRX with my RX-7 (racing from 60km/h), that guy was pissed. 40G's for his WRX and he couldn't beat a ****ty late 80's FC3S!

Good Times!

Member ID
    CZCC-8546

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sean240Z
    Part of the route I travel to work each day is along a four lane divided highway which has a well positioned stop light and a straight stretch of road. One morning last week I was approaching the light in the left lane when it turned red. A late 60's Chevelle SS was in the right lane and he decided to pull into the left lane in front of me just before the intersection. Of course I moved into the right lane and approached the light. As I slowed I noticed that the Chevelle SS was in really nice shape. It was painted arrest-me-red with two white racing stripes and a vanity plate which read "2 FAST".

I pulled to a stop and looked over. It was on. When the light turned green, I dropped the clutch and took off. As I shifted into second, I could see the Chevelle in my side mirror, about two car lengths back with its nose raised high as he tried to catch up. As I shifted into third, I eased off at about 65 mph and the Chevelle continued accelerating past me, the driver looking pissed off.

I tell you, that morning run made my whole day...

On a totally unrelated issue, I just finished reading "Cannonball!: World's Greatest Outlaw Road Race" by Brock Yates. This is a truly entertaining read that I recommend to any car nut out there.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...96828?v=glance

Just out of curiuosity what do you have done to your engine? If thats stock then i think i've been under-estimating datsuns. (i woulnt know how fast my car is because its never run since i got it!)

of the Silver Shield Soc. dogma420's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3789

why is it that some members here have such a hard time understanding why a Z would beat other rigs off the line? I have done it quite a bit, and even if it is the other driver sucking it up, I still have beat lots of other cars off the line, and that's with a mildly upgraded stock motor...

The Z is just fast off the line, we're not talking to 100 mph or 1/4...it is just fast off the line...if your Zed isn't, then its not setup correctly or tuned.

Bemmerguy, what are you basing your 'under estimation' on? If you don't know how fast they are, why are you even building one? The motor is why I have mine...they are a pretty good looking car on the outside too. But its the drivetrain for me...
    --Dave aka Dogma420 My Gallery
    Early '72 red 110 / white (10/71)
    HLS30 56895

Member ID
    CZCC-1278

I eased off at about 65 mph and the Chevelle continued accelerating past me, the driver looking pissed off.
    Got you on the loser fly-by huh?
    www.nostalgictrio.com Skyline - Silvia - Fairlady Z
    www.ozdat.com The Australian Datsun site.
    www.cafepress.com/vintagedatsun

Member ID
    CZCC-8237

Gotta love toasting guys who see old datsun and make the obvious assumptions. I've caught a few new V8s off guard. I calculated my 0-62mph time of 4.8 seconds with an open diff. More than adequate for dispensing with most cars, but by no means what I'd call fast.

My favourite is when its still an undecided thing if its on or not so you both take off reasonable pace and don't let the other guy get in front. Works perfectly as by the time they decide to give it **** I'm in boost range and booting it sees the old girl punching away from them.. hehehe.. godamn i hate my gearbox.

Dave
    Last edited by thehelix112; 07-03-2005 at 09:50 AM.
    Dave Andrews

Daily: 1973 240Z, L28ET, Autronic, GT35R.
    Project: 1972 1600, 3200km old S15 SR20DET, ground up rebuild.

Member ID
    CZCC-8546

Quote Originally Posted by dogma420
    why is it that some members here have such a hard time understanding why a Z would beat other rigs off the line? I have done it quite a bit, and even if it is the other driver sucking it up, I still have beat lots of other cars off the line, and that's with a mildly upgraded stock motor...

The Z is just fast off the line, we're not talking to 100 mph or 1/4...it is just fast off the line...if your Zed isn't, then its not setup correctly or tuned.

Bemmerguy, what are you basing your 'under estimation' on? If you don't know how fast they are, why are you even building one? The motor is why I have mine...they are a pretty good looking car on the outside too. But its the drivetrain for me...

I under estimate 240z because i raced one in my 300e. My dad was in the 240z i was in the 300e. But i guess he wasnt driving it as hard as i thought. it pulled on me for a while in the begining but when i got in the 300e power area (3000-5000rpm) i caught up and it was over for him. the reason i am building one is to give it as a present to my father. I've never driven one but it sounds like fun. Plus they look REALLY NICE. Also like you said its a very good lookin car. The z i'm restoring is stock. i'm worring more about cosmetics right now. When you said "mildly tuned" what exactly is that in the engine? Because if just a few upgrades will make that much of a difrence i think i need to make some mods. To help me get a feel for how fast it is. Here is a list of cars i have driven. Tell me what this car would most feel like (i know all cars are diffrent but what is most like of these cars?).

1-1989 325i
    2-1992 300e
    3-1988 m3
    4-1988 super eta 528e
    5-1995 m5
    6-1991 porache 911
    7-1998? caddy el derado

thanks
    Matt

Member ID
    CZCC-6478

Bemmerguy714,

My 1973 240Z has a Nissan Remanufactured 2.8L Long Block (stock compression), Schneider Performance Camshaft, Nissan Electronic Ignition, Motorsport 6-1 Headers (coated), 2 1/2" Exhaust with bullet muffler and Dynomax straight through muffler, rebuilt 1972 Carburetors. I also installed a 5-speed and 3.9 R200 differential from an 1983 280ZX.

Cheers,

Member ID
    CZCC-8546

Talking

Bemmerguy714,

My 1973 240Z has a Nissan Remanufactured 2.8L Long Block (stock compression), Schneider Performance Camshaft, Nissan Electronic Ignition, Motorsport 6-1 Headers (coated), 2 1/2" Exhaust with bullet muffler and Dynomax straight through muffler, rebuilt 1972 Carburetors. I also installed a 5-speed and 3.9 R200 differential from an 1983 280ZX.

Cheers,
    wow, thats pretty crazy. 5 speed swap huh, i've been looking at what other people have done. I;ll look into that. do you know what kind of power r u putting to the wheels? have you dynoed it?i'm curious because i wan to start moding my 240z. anyway, Good kill story.

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

Thumbs up Sorry off topic

Quote Originally Posted by thehelix112
    Works perfectly as by the time they decide to give it **** I'm in boost range and booting it sees the old girl punching away from them.. hehehe.. godamn i hate my gearbox.

Dave
    Fix that gearbox if your back from the US? I'm working on my cars suspension as soon as my strut protective boots arrive from the states just ordered them last night. So i'll be installing my new Tokico's and new rear bushes etc.. Then I reakon we need to get a cruise happening for VicZcar so we can see just how fast she goes

Member ID
    CZCC-873

Default Guess Who!

Sean
    Glad a good 'ol Canadian boy is kicking some butt down there!
    Jeffsilverz

Member ID
    CZCC-6478

bemmerguy714 - I've never dynoed my car. If you want info on the L28, 5-speed, 3.9 diff change you can look at the following link:

http://zhome.com/rnt/L28conversion/engine.html

If you want to see what's possible for a normally aspirated L28 in a streetable Z then take a look at the following link:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/566675/2

Jeff - It's good to hear from you. How's the SilverZ running?

Cheers,

Member ID
    CZCC-8237

Gav,

I haven't left yet! Thursday I'm heading over. And I think it'll be a while before the gearbox issue is sorted. I'm looking at putting a T56 behind it, to go with the R200 LSD. Take some pics for me if you do cruise before I get back.

Dave
    Dave Andrews

Daily: 1973 240Z, L28ET, Autronic, GT35R.
    Project: 1972 1600, 3200km old S15 SR20DET, ground up rebuild.

Member ID
    CZCC-873

Default Guess Who!

Sean
    Silver Z is running awsome!! TIZCC lapping day was last wed. The car ran like a freight train all day!
    Jeff
    Jeffsilverz

Member ID
    CZCC-8546

i was rereading the original post. You took a BMW M3? hmmm maybe off the line but from a roll? idk guess ur z is pretty fast then. THose ///Ms are quick.

Member ID
    CZCC-6478

As an epilogue to this post, I ran into the guy who owns the Chevelle SS at a local car show this weekend. I introduced myself and we had a good talk. Turns out he's a really nice guy. His car is a 1970 Chevelle SS 396 with auto trans, and it's in really nice shape. He told me that he was really surprised at how quick my car was and said that he had his foot to the floor and couldn't catch me.

Since our early morning run in, he has installed a 502 GM crate motor. I'm thinking the next time I run into him at a stop light, he might be more than I can handle. Well I guess I'll just have to give it a shot!

Cheers,

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

Damn a 502? That thing will get worse economy then a H2!

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-5387

Sean- What you need is JeffSilverZ's engine to take on the 502 Chevelle...Give Jeff a shout - he's talking engine swap....

GWGarrard
    TIZCC

Member ID
    CZCC-1760

Sean,
    I retract my response on June 1 saying the Chevelle missed a shift. Since the Chevelle was automatic and driver admitted having pedal on the floor you are the winner. Your '73Z with uprated engine is a real sleeper. Keep up the good work and keep those F15's flying.
    Ron
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    VIN: HLS30-16483
    Mfg Date: Dec, 1970

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

A chevelle is not really a speedy car. Evan with a 396. I would put my l28 240Z up against one.

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Thread Information