Thread: Axle boots

Member ID
    CZCC-2692

Default Axle boots

I purchased some rear axle boots and they come with clamps for which I have no tool. What can I use as a clamp: hose clamp? Thanks, Victor.
    73 Z, 06 Honda civic

see below
    Member ID
    CZCC-1656

You realize you have to take them apart right? The c-clamps were so difficult for me to remove I had to take them to a driveshaft shop. They had clamps to put on that fit fine. Otherwise hose clamps will work though the ones they ended up using for me were a special clamp that sort of crimp on. Here's a pic.
    michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halfshafts1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	9622  

Member ID
    CZCC-5649

You can buy that tool from Snap-On, Napa...etc...etc. Just depends which type of clamp they sent with the boots. Just take the clamp(s) in with you when you talk to them...they should be able to fix you right up...

webdawg1

Member ID
    CZCC-1420

Some food for thought.....I would not recommend using hose clamps for this application!!! Think about it, you would be adding excentric rotational wieght to the drive axles. This may cause an out of balance situation! A couple of words of caution, when disassembling the drive axles....place index marks on the two parts before disassembly as you want them to go back together the same, be very aware of the sequence in which the parts are arranged, DO NOT loose any parts as they are no longer available, and be sure to relube the assembly with the correct lube. Hope this is of some help!

Member ID
    CZCC-3852

What sort of clamps are they? If they are the usual type used on CV joint boots you don't need a special tool. Simply pull the end through the loop hard, bend the end right back and cut off the surplus. Easy peasy

Member ID
    CZCC-2692

Thanks for the advice everybody. I was wondering whether the clamp weighed enough to cause any significant balance problem. Don't really want to experiment and have to take the axles apart again. Didn't realize that the C-clips would be that difficult to get out. I'll have to think about whether I really want to replace the boots. The old boots are in great shape, was just going to replace them because I have the axles out. Thought it would be a good idea to regrease them also. Is there a way to grease them without taking the the axles apart, or would that be pointless? Thanks, Victor.
    73 Z, 06 Honda civic

Thread Information