Thread: Light covers or not?

Car Guy
    Member ID
    CZCC-12941

Default Light covers or not?

My parents have been asking me lately what I want for Christmas since they want to get their shopping over with and I was kind of thinking about getting light covers for my car and putting them on after we get it painted. I know it's a lot of matter of opinion on styling, but I was curious what you guys thought of these?

These are the ones that I'm thinking about. http://www.datsunstore.com/product_i...products_id/18
    Last edited by 76Datsun280z; 11-06-2006 at 06:39 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-12679

i was thinking of the same thing. I don’t have any, but have seen them in some pics, and i like the look, but would be interested in some other opinions from here as well.

Member ID
    CZCC-7867

I've seen them on a number of cars, (in pictures) and thought they looked pretty good but I've always thought it made the car look bug-eyed. I think it takes away from the distinctive lines of the car.

Good luck with your decision.

Bruce
    HLS30-004880

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

They come in clear and tinted. Check with your State's DMV and see if they are leagl for you . Not all allow them . I have seen tests where the lenses defuse the light from the head lights . EScanlon has them on his Z . His are OEM though . Ask him how he likes them . Gary
    I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dieing. CZC 1887 IZCC 12602 Member of NorthWest Z Car Club

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Shop the aftermarket covers, before you buy them, they can be had new for as low as $40 plus shipping.
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Car Guy
    Member ID
    CZCC-12941

I see, thanks for the responses guys, I will have to look into that. I can't remember where I've heard this before, but I've heard that light covers are a must when you have the H4 headlights which my car has, I haven't heard why this is though.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

1.) No reason H4 lights need covers. I guess some people don't want a rock to hit their lights. I have run H4 lights (at least 8 different brands) in every motor vehicle I have owned for the past 30+ years. Never covered a one of them.

2.) The gold car in the picture links below is EScanlon's, who has factory covers. (Note the chrome trim.) The white car has typical aftermarket covers.

http://classiczcars.com/forums/attac...0&d=1161634846
    http://classiczcars.com/forums/attac...8&d=1161634846
    http://classiczcars.com/forums/attac...6&d=1151089923
    http://www.classiczcars.com/photopos...m/IMG_0821.jpg
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-5416
    4856′19″N, 11926′6″W Oroville, Washington at the top of US97 in the Sunny Okanogan Valley

I think light covers look cool and give a the Z a more streamlined look. How much, if any, actual effect they have on the Z's slipperiness might be debatable. I much prefer the OEM style over what's out there today, but will go with what I can afford until I can get my hands on some of the originals or truly good repros (Will). The non-OEM type can stop rocks, but God forbid if I ever have some of the originals and a rock hits one - I'd rather lose the headlight.
    1970 240Z - 7/70 HLS30-07273
    1971 240Z - 12/70 HLS30-17821
    1972 240Z given away, then went to crusher
    1983 280ZXT sold to finance 1970
    1992 Chevy Shortbox K1500
    1999 BMW R1100GS

Rust Never Sleeps

Neil Young

Car Guy
    Member ID
    CZCC-12941

Thanks for the info, I was a little skeptical about the light cover being necessary for the H4's. Anyhow, thanks for the pictures. Do you know where you can buy the oringinal oem factory covers with the crome? I agree to that the crome looks better than the black gasket on the reproduction ones. I've looked on Ebay and a few of the Z web sites like Motorsport but haven't seen any of the oem factory ones for sale.
    Last edited by 76Datsun280z; 11-06-2006 at 10:03 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Good luck finding a set, the OE covers haven't been available new for a long time. They show up now and then on eBay, but go for good money if they are complete.

Member ID
    CZCC-4128

I like the covers they clean up the aerodynamics of the car. I seem to remember Road & Track doing a comparasion back in the '80s with spoilers, air dams and even these headlight covers. I believe the improve was something like .2 of a gallon/mile. I have the article somewhere in my pile of magazines....
    Last edited by Curtis240Z; 11-06-2006 at 10:28 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Quote Originally Posted by 76Datsun280z
    I see, thanks for the responses guys, I will have to look into that. I can't remember where I've heard this before, but I've heard that light covers are a must when you have the H4 headlights which my car has, I haven't heard why this is though.
    Although distorted, I think that what you may have heard is that Plexiglass Protecting Headlight Covers were very much recommended to protect those $400+ each headlight housings that used the first generation of H4 bulbs.

My 89 Acura Legend has some of those $380 per headlight lights, and they're nothing fancy.....just the shape and the fact that they use the H4 bulbs. Push those up into the $400 + each category and suddenly a rock chip in the glass would require a new headlight housing, because the H4 bulbs couldn't take the moisture and or blowing air on them. My wife's 92 Subaru Wagon is the same way. Even the dealers sold the plexiglass formed protectors...as an accesory to protect the headlight.

Pretty soon, it more than likely morphed into what you heard.

As far as the OEM covers....NLA, which is why the interest in reproductions.

Personally, I like the way it finishes the car, and adds to the aerodynamic look. Whether it adds the mileage, or... I hadn't considered that as I was interested in the over all look.

However, I've noticed an interesting by-product benefit...I don't have to clean my headlights from the bugs and debris on the road...especially in the rainy PACNW.

E

Member ID
    CZCC-13117

The factory covers (with the chrome strip) are completely unobtainium. I picked up a set of the aftermarket covers (the same ones that MSA sells, I believe) on eBay for $40. Be patient and you'll find a set at a good price.

1971 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-30806
    Asheville, North Carolina
    IZCC #14802

Member ID
    CZCC-9136

I had mine for about 2 years now (after market) and so far so good but its a pain when you wash the car and have to take them off to clean, the rubber seal dont work so water sits inside but, does look good! plus when you put them on make sure there is no wax or anything that the tap mounts to or you will have to glue them with a epoxy glue like i had to do!
    Raven
    Do you Serve a Purpose OR
    Do you Purposely Serve?

Member ID
    CZCC-11611

On my first '71 240Z I had the clear covers that were available in 71/72, as well as the fibreglass ones used on the racing Z's. They were painted to match the car. There were 3 tabs that required drilling small holes in the headlight bucket, filing the holes out to a slit just right to fit the tabs in the headlight bucket, epoxy glue them from the backside of the bucket and used stainless hex screws to hold the covers on on. Time consuming process to mount, but well worth it in my opinion. They added a bit more sleekness to the front of the car, not to mention a few extra looks. Yes, you had to remove them to dry out the water after washing the car, but to me that was just a bit more of the labor of love for the car. I too am looking for a set to put on my current '71.
    1971 240Z - HLS30-23305 2/71
    1971 240Z - HLS30-30855 5/71

Member ID
    CZCC-1420

I have a set on my 1970 and have had them on since 1983. I feel the Z looks incomplete without them! Certainly a more finished look IMO. Plus, you get the advantage of the aero effect.....smooth surface as opposed to scoops. Regarding the cleaning hassel.....I think it takes less time to remove them and wipe the scoop area than to clean out all the bugs and crud that will get stuck in and around the headlight, without the covers. But over all, they just look cool!!!!

Tom

Member ID
    CZCC-9476

Does anyone know if the tinted covers are legal in California? I have seen them listed in on ebay as well for around $40. I think they would look good with my 918 orange.

Steve

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by Ksteve
    Does anyone know if the tinted covers are legal in California?
    I believe the answer to that is "No." In fact, I'm pretty certain that tinted covers aren't legal much of anywhere.

Member ID
    CZCC-9967

And for your reference:

CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE
    SECTION 25950-25952

25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any
    reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela
    or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided
    otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be
    as follows:
    (a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from
    all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or
    yellow, except as follows:
    (1) Rear side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show red
    to the front.
    (2) The color of foglamps described in Section 24403 may be in the
    color spectrum from white to yellow.
    Randy Taylor
    2/71 240z

HLS30-23242

Car Guy
    Member ID
    CZCC-12941

Thanks for all your responses and opinions guys. I think I will put those on my X-Mas list, the ones that were in the link that I showed you. I agree to that they really spruce up the front. So what all do you have to do when you take them on and off for the reproduction ones? Is there just one screw that you screw on and off? I think If I get them, I'd probably save them for after the car gets painted because I'm not sure how they'd look with just the primer, but maybe I'd be surprised.

Member ID
    CZCC-11402

I like the look of the head light covers and like someone said they do assist with the aerodynamics. If you are sprinting your car on the track some sort of cover is mandatory in Australia. So that solves the problem.
    I have a G-Nose on my car and can't seem to locate any covers for my car. If anyone knows where I can get them from even overseas then please let me know. I have a set of the old style but non that fit my new front.

Car Guy
    Member ID
    CZCC-12941

So did these cars originally come standard with light covers already installed when they were new, or were they an option?

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

They were illegal in the USA at that time, so no US cars came with them from the factory, neither standard or as a factory option. Dealer installed at best.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I think headlight covers help the look of the car-I believe it was designed for them. I wouldn't use the tinted variety becasue I want as much light as I can get from my headlights. I also prefer britework around the lenses.
    Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

Thumbs up ZG style light covers

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Lovegrove
    I like the look of the head light covers and like someone said they do assist with the aerodynamics. If you are sprinting your car on the track some sort of cover is mandatory in Australia. So that solves the problem.
    I have a G-Nose on my car and can't seem to locate any covers for my car. If anyone knows where I can get them from even overseas then please let me know. I have a set of the old style but non that fit my new front.
    Hi Craig not sure what options you have here really. The original ZG ones are very expensive $700+ that's with the chrome trimming which is really the expensive part.

I don't know of anyone who makes aftermarket ones but you might have some luck trying motorsport auto http://www.thezstore.com/store/merchant.mvc? they sell an aftermarket Gnose

I just had a look and can't find it at the moment. http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/7AP might be worth emailing them, they might point you in the right direction.

Member ID
    CZCC-12196

Default Headlight Covers

I like the clear ones without a edge strip,chrome or rubber.
    Neal Keith
    1971 240Z HLS3014317
    260Z Driver Project
    88 BMW M6
    94 BMW 325 IC Wife's
    83 S10 Blazer 4x4
    02 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Black 20" Wheels

Member ID
    CZCC-11460

The factory ones with the chrome trim, if you can find them, will run about $400+. The G-nose ones are near impossible to find and will bring near a grand. The chrome ring was made in a special press and Nissan does't do that anymore. The plexiglass has a smoothe contour to them like an XKE. The aftermarkets seam to have a n edge to them. I missed a set of factory ones about a year ago that went for around $400.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hc1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	15009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hc2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	15010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hc3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	15011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hc4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	15012  
    HLS30-143697 1973 110 ORANGE
    Period correct performance restoration
    Sanyo Sport kit induction, Datsun Comp exhaust. Datsun Comp internals. "C" grind cam
    Mallory DP ignition W/ Pertronix kit. Koni struts, Koni RallySport springs. Euro rear sway bar
    Who said they don't build em like they use to.

Member ID
    CZCC-11908

Default Any inventors out there?

Quote Originally Posted by hls30.com
    I wouldn't use the tinted variety becasue I want as much light as I can get from my headlights.
    I agree that having tinted covers isn't the best idea, though they look great, IMO. Same goes for tinted windshields (which I've seen done, and it scared me). What I would love to see developed would be self tinting covers, the technology exists in the form of self tinting eyeglasses, so why not use it in automotive ways? As long as the headlights don't emit UV rays, the covers would become clear at night, when you need full lighting; dark during the day, when lighting isn't always needed.
    Best of both worlds, I would think.
    Last edited by zbane; 11-12-2006 at 05:29 PM.
    David

Member ID
    CZCC-5416
    4856′19″N, 11926′6″W Oroville, Washington at the top of US97 in the Sunny Okanogan Valley

I know they have done work in automobile design with sunroofs and other glass panels that are made so that when an electric charge is passed through them they appear darkened or tinted. Not sure if there are any production models that made it to market with this feature. I believe they've also experimented with glass for homes and offices that have a similar feature. Again, don't know if these ever made it to market. A cool idea if it works, but not sure it would be practical for headlight covers. Gary
    1970 240Z - 7/70 HLS30-07273
    1971 240Z - 12/70 HLS30-17821
    1972 240Z given away, then went to crusher
    1983 280ZXT sold to finance 1970
    1992 Chevy Shortbox K1500
    1999 BMW R1100GS

Rust Never Sleeps

Neil Young

Member ID
    CZCC-11908

I remember seeing that somewhere as well, but to me that's just making it too difficult. If LensCrafters can do it for (plastic) eyeglasses, why not apply the process to other plastic peices? Obviously, this wouldn't work for windshield (or other glass) applications, but the aftermarket could have a feild day with it-black out kits for tailights, headlights, etc.
    David

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

There are several types of variable tinting materials availale, from the light sensative materials used in auto darkening sunglasses to those that are are electricly activated as are used in Laptop screens and switchable privacy panels in aircraft and highend furnishings. Most seem to be film based, though the lens material is not always, the light sensative materials used in eyeglasses are sometimes spread through out the lens, meaning the could be used in a cast mterial. I think drpe forming a film based darkening material while retaining unifority of tint would be tough given the severe curve at the front of the lens.
    Will
    Last edited by hls30.com; 11-12-2006 at 07:03 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-11460

If any company were to make them, they would do them for newer cars. These aftermarket companys, at least the ones that make quality stuff are not going to consider a 70's car, and the smaller specialty companys, like the ones who do 240z stuff just don't have the bucks to do a project where they will only sell a few hunderd units. Ever see a quality stainless steel exhaust system offered by any of the top exhaust companys, hell Nismo doesn't even have one for a 240-280z, why are there so few wheels that really fit a 240 unless you run adapters to make another spec work on yours.
    HLS30-143697 1973 110 ORANGE
    Period correct performance restoration
    Sanyo Sport kit induction, Datsun Comp exhaust. Datsun Comp internals. "C" grind cam
    Mallory DP ignition W/ Pertronix kit. Koni struts, Koni RallySport springs. Euro rear sway bar
    Who said they don't build em like they use to.

Thread Information