Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early Shift Boots

LBO730
    Member ID
    CZCC-7226

Hey Guys, I'm glad those of you who have responded like the reproduction of the early shift boot. Its great to be able to provide something to the Zcar community. I have set the price for the boot at $45 which includes shipping to you. I will do my very best to get them made and shipped out as quickly as possible. I will be working on them in the evenings and weekends. It appeared there was initial interest in about 20 boots so it could take 2 or 3 weeks to produce that many, but I will send them out on a first order first serve basis. If you want to order one, send me a PM.

If anyone is interested, I can do these in really nice quality black leather as well for $55 shipped.

Thanks for all the interest and the compliments!

Bryan

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

Default I want one

PM sent.

Member ID
    CZCC-1188

Default grommet

Quote Originally Posted by a7dz View Post
    It is also shown as item #5 on the early cars on the page 27 of the Z.50 catalog.

Ordered the grommet from Black dragon and it is nothing that was used on a early four speed Z. Looks to be a roadster shifter rubber seal. Looks like I will ship it down to Escalon maybe he can use it on one of his fleet.
    Last edited by a7dz; 02-26-2007 at 04:23 AM. Reason: clearify description.
    Jim
    Bought my 70Z at 21 with 24,000 miles
    Still own it. Thirty plus years later.

Member ID
    CZCC-874

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-240z View Post
    I just KNEW it was the angle of the picture. Are you still my friend? When I get that master vac decal finished, you can get back at me. It should turn out quite good after many trips to the sign shop working on this, but the proof will rest with the opinions of all wanting one.
    I'll keep looking for a good grommet for your project, Marty.

Great, Great Job.

Dan
    I was just kidding!! Sure we are still friends. I look for ward to seeing your Master Vac decal. Any idea when that project might be ready?

Marty

Member ID
    CZCC-3193

Default OEM appearance

Hi Marty,
    The shift boot is perfect,congratulations on this project!
    We need a grommet next.

I post a few photos of the boot of 01/1970 Z432.This car had an old original one but recently has got an OEM NOS boot,the car is now its restration in progress.I forgot to take a photo of the old one,that one is good as its age,I still think this OEM NOS uses a little bit thick material.Or the old one used to be thick?

And do you find a difference of the throttle mechanism between this early car and the other later car?
    If some one is interested in it,I will start a new thread.

kats
    Last edited by kats; 03-02-2007 at 06:54 AM.
    Katsuhiko Endo
    1970 DATSUN 240Z
    HLS30-02156 (03/70)
    L24-005562

1970 FAIRLADY Z432
    PS30-00088 (01/70)
    S20-000884

1972 DATSUN 240Z
    HLS30-60213 (12/71)
    L24-072419

JAPAN
    Welcome to my web site,
    http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz903

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Please!
    Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-10534

Here's your chance boys and girls.... an early NOS boot on eBay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-...92711567QQrdZ1

Too bad it didn't have a "Buy it now", that sucka would've been all mine.
    Last edited by moonpup; 03-02-2007 at 09:22 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Rogan View Post
    Hey Guys,

I received the prototype yesterday.
    .....snipped..cjb.....
    All in all I am pretty thrilled with the results. This piece would be pretty hard to tell from an original one. Major Kudos on the workmanship!!!!

Let me know what you guys think.
    Hi Marty:
    Agreed - the first prototype is pretty nice, but I believe with a few minor changes it could be better.

Looking at the pictures from Kats and the NOS one on E-Bay.. it looks like the repop's grain pattern is somewhat off the mark, there is no rubber grommet supplied, and the stitching at the top goes too far up. The OEM product has little tucks at the very top... most likely to put less strain on the stitching..

Perhaps a small order of the proper size grommets from Badgerrubber.net. (if you supplied them with the complete spec.'s they might have the exact thing)... and a second prototype stitched up to look a little more like the OEM part would work some of this out.. and result in an even finer reproduction.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

An update to this thread...
    Bryan rightful points out that his repo, was patterned after the shift boot supplied... So it is more than likely that the NOS shift boot on E-Bay and the one Kats pictured - is of a later style/design/manufacturer... So maybe we don't want the newer style... and maybe my comments were poorly thought out.

So now it's time for everyone - including me - to go dig out the old shift boots and see what we come up with. I think I have a NOS boot that I ordered years ago, stuck away somewhere.. So I'll be trying to dig that one out...

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Apologies first. I have not yet gotten around to pulling the console out to clean yet, so I'm embarrassed to post these pictures that still show the previous owners' dirt.

That said, I can't speak for the possibility that later boots were different, although the one on eBay and Kat's does seem to confirm that. Because the original still on my car looks very much like the pictures of the one that Bryan made, both in cut and stitching, and also in the grain of the material.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-874

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck View Post
    Hi Marty:
    Agreed - the first prototype is pretty nice, but I believe with a few minor changes it could be better.

Looking at the pictures from Kats and the NOS one on E-Bay.. it looks like the repop's grain pattern is somewhat off the mark, there is no rubber grommet supplied, and the stitching at the top goes too far up. The OEM product has little tucks at the very top... most likely to put less strain on the stitching..

Perhaps a small order of the proper size grommets from Badgerrubber.net. (if you supplied them with the complete spec.'s they might have the exact thing)... and a second prototype stitched up to look a little more like the OEM part would work some of this out.. and result in an even finer reproduction.

FWIW,
    Carl B.
    Carl,

The Sample that I supplied came out of a 1/71 one owner car. I believe it to be an original part.

If you look closely, the repro does have the tucks at the top. It is not sewn all the way up. I think Bryan did an excellent job of copying the pattern. If you look at the pictures in my post, you will see a swatch of the original fabric on it, and next to it. It is pretty darn close in my book. It will never be "exactly the same", unless you got material from the original manfactures stock, and the lot it was cut from. No, there is no grommet, because I never had one on my car to give. I am still looking for 2 of them if you have some lying around, (hint, hint, !). If you are lucky enough to have your original grommet, you can just re-use it. So far we have not found a suitable source for that piece.

Everyone has to make their own decisions on what they will put on their car. For me, I am very satisfied with the outcome on this piece.

My 2 cents.

Marty

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Anyone notice the NOS shift boot on Ebay sold for $153.50?

Member ID
    CZCC-1188

Received mine today great job thanks
    Jim

Member ID
    CZCC-1188

Default grommet

Here is a picture of Bryan's shifter boot with the grommet installed. Easy installation, nice fit .
    Jim

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Got my boot delivered today and I am more than pleased with it. Great job Bryan! Thanks!

Member ID
    CZCC-9965

Great looking boot, Bryan! Just got mine yesterday.

Now, where are we on the replacement grommet (I don't have one!)

Thanks,
    Stephen
    January 1970 240Z
    HLS3001399

Member ID
    CZCC-4028

Quote Originally Posted by duffman View Post
    Great looking boot, Bryan! Just got mine yesterday.

Now, where are we on the replacement grommet (I don't have one!)

Thanks,
    Stephen
    Got mine a couple of days ago, and just had a chance to open it last night. Looks nice! I have nothing to compare it to, but from the pics on this thread, it looks very close to perfect. . I, too, now need a grommet to make it work, though. Seems like a lot of us are in that boat...
    Mark Brandyberry
    1970 240Z (11/69) HLS30 00215
    1978 280Z (05/78) HLS30 466356
    IZCC #802 & CZC#4028

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

MIne arrived while I was out of town last week. It looks to be indistinguishable from the original now in my car. I plan to pull the console today, clean everything up and install it. I will post pictures later showing the two side by side.

But from what I see here now, I'm VERY pleased with it.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Here's the pictures and my impression after installing the new boot.

First, I'm going to say right here that it is NOT a perfect reproduction. The workmanship on Bryan's reproduction is MUCH better workmanship than my original. And the fabric backing of the material is dark gray rather than the original white.

This reproduction is incredibly beautiful. It fits great, and looks "right" in the car. I'm thrilled with the result, it was well worth the extremely modest cost.
    Last edited by Arne; 08-14-2008 at 07:02 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-844

My Z was made in the last month of production for 71's (maybe it was Sep), anyway, it had the original vinyl boot but was torn and old. I replaced it with the later laced boot because Nissan only sold that one (circa 1993). It would be great to have an original.
    Bryan Pilati
    1971 Datsun 240Z (8/71; 920 paint)
    IZCC #583; TZCC #16; CZC #110
    I'm never serious unless I should be.

Member ID
    CZCC-844

I wish someone had told me about this boot. Dam Carl, why haven't I seen this on the mailing list? Bryan, how do you want your money? I'd drive out to see if you weren't so far. BTW, wouldn't the leather one last longer?
    Bryan Pilati
    1971 Datsun 240Z (8/71; 920 paint)
    IZCC #583; TZCC #16; CZC #110
    I'm never serious unless I should be.

Member ID
    CZCC-4376

Bryan,
    Just recieved my shift boot,e-brake cover and wiring cover and all look wonderful. FINEST KIND!
    My only question is, does anyone have a picture of the wiring cover installed? My car has not had one since I have owned it and I have never seen one in another car. Does it just wrap around where the harnesses join under the right dash? Anybody?
    Best,
    H Houghton

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

Default I got a grommet!

Quote Originally Posted by mdbrandy View Post
    ...I, too, now need a grommet to make it work, though. Seems like a lot of us are in that boat...
    I was the only bidder on an ebay auction for an early shift rod and grommet, so I got them both for $5.99. I was hoping no one else would notice the auction. I guess no one that needed one did. Now if I can just get the floors and firewall done I can start putting the interior back together.

-Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

Default Answer to "Where to find that grommet!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    I was the only bidder on an ebay auction for an early shift rod and grommet, so I got them both for $5.99. I was hoping no one else would notice the auction. I guess no one that needed one did. Now if I can just get the floors and firewall done I can start putting the interior back together.

-Mike
    Few months ago, I found a very close thing to an original shift gromet at a local store. So I will share that info with everyone here. You can buy these at Home Depot, Lowes, and other major hardware store. See the picture. It is exactly the same design, shape, and size from outside. Spec is 0.71 CM (9/32 ODx 1/2 ID) Only difference is that bottom part is larger on the original one. So solution is to put another piece of the material(punched as to part) put it over from back side, so it will not slip off. It costs from $1.75-$2 range.
    Original material is a hard rubber, and this one seems slightly soft. But it appears the same.
    I know some of the members are looking for this for a long period of time.
    Esprist
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3422.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	28393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3417.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	28394   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3987.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	28395  
    Last edited by esprist; 02-26-2009 at 11:02 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Excellent info. I figured there must be a suitable alternative out there somewhere. While I'm happy that I still have my original grommet, if I needed one this looks like it would do just fine.

LBO730
    Member ID
    CZCC-7226

I actually have a grommet that many of the members purchased that is very close to the original. Actually closer than the one pictured I believe.

Bryan

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I hit Lowes and found it, and I have one from Bryan. I agree with you Bryan, yours looks and feels closer-but under the boot either will do the trick!
    When I remember to bring my camera back from the restoration shop correcting Larrys car, I'll take and post some side by sides.
    Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Thread Information