Thread: Header

Member ID
    CZCC-7685

Default Header

I'm looking for a header for my 77. Its a stock L28 With EFI and a round ezhaust port head. I have a square port N42 that hasn't been run since it was rebuilt that I could switch over. I also have a mild Snyder cam that I could put on the N42. My only hesitancy about changing heads is that there are only 4100 miles on this car so there are still alot of miles left on the motor. Back to the haeder I live on a p-j budget and don't have much to spend on a header. I always seem to get outbid on Ebay and don't have the time to run around and hope to get lucky at the wrecking yards. Anybody have any ideas on where to find one that is functional and affordable I have no problem with a used or off-brand one. Also any suggestions on what diameter of tail pipe to put behind it would be helpful. I live in San Diego.

Member ID
    CZCC-10665

If the car is registered in Cali, you can not pass smog with a header...bottomline. I would stick with the stock exhaust manifold.

Member ID
    CZCC-8308

Unless you have head work done and more than a mild cam, you are gaining very little by going to a header. Unless of course you just prefer headers.

Why not just put a better flowing muffler, cat on her.
    Last edited by nwcubsman; 02-11-2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: more thoughts
    Bryan
    IZCC #14892

Member ID
    CZCC-7685

nwcubsman,
    I have been under the impression that a properly built header allows a motor to breath better which increases hp and increases performance. As you mentioned other head work besides a cam what are you refering to? What would your choice be if you had an N47 or E88 to choose from. If I do stay with tne stock exhaust I do need to replace the pipe from the exhaust header back. Should I stay with the stock dia. or go larger?

Michael

Member ID
    CZCC-10665

Quote Originally Posted by MC75Z View Post
    nwcubsman,
    I have been under the impression that a properly built header allows a motor to breath better which increases hp and increases performance. As you mentioned other head work besides a cam what are you refering to? What would your choice be if you had an N47 or E88 to choose from. If I do stay with tne stock exhaust I do need to replace the pipe from the exhaust header back. Should I stay with the stock dia. or go larger?

Michael
    You might try Ed Hanson's in La Mesa for a real nice CAT back system. If you car is a federal model then it might not have a CAT. Several years ago one of my friends bought a 77 280Z here in San Diego, we took it to Ed Hanson's for an exhaust. They told him that there was no CAT so they looked up the VIN and said it was not a Cali car but a federal model. Because of this he was able to get a real nice manifold back system. In 1978 all Zs had CATs.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Quote Originally Posted by Montezuma
    In 1978 all Zs had CATs.
    Mine is a 78 and it has no catalytic converter. Even the exhaust guy wondered why- he was real concerned about that. He ended saying it was a Federal spec model, so no cat, and put on a manifold back pipe (2 1/4 inch.)
    Drive Responsibly.
    enjoy classic Rock music.

Thread Information