Thread: MSA Twice pipes

early 260z RLS30 030417 mars23z's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-9330

Default MSA Twice pipes

The add says if you want more power this is the system to get. On Hybrid Z I read there that you lose 10HP and lose a lot of low end torque. Is this true? Who here has the system and what do you think? Is the sound as good as I here it is? Has any one run a single pipe and finished with dual glass packs? Would that give the sound with out the loss of power?Thanks Chris

Member ID
    CZCC-1965

Got one, with a Thunderbird header and a Dynomax cherry bomb in between, awesome sound... on N
    But a total joke on D... it's on an automatic until better days to come, and every time it's revving high enough to give the crowd a pleasant song the crapy thing shift with an embarassing beuuuuuuuuuu from the trany!

My 1 euro cent... do it
    vive la Franze, vive les Z, vive ZmeFly

Member ID
    CZCC-9330

But does it feel like a loss of power? I think I might try a single 2 1/2" into dual glasspacks. I cant see why this wont work but Im not sure thats why I am asking. Thanks for the reply

Member ID
    CZCC-1965

My car is a slug... but a better slug since the mod... Do it
    vive la Franze, vive les Z, vive ZmeFly

Member ID
    CZCC-13117

Just be ready for the sound. I've got a twice pipes setup on my car, and it's pretty loud.

1971 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-30806
    Asheville, North Carolina
    IZCC #14802

Biafra for President e_racer1999's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-6883

i don't see how it could cause any loss of power because there is less back pressure..... the loss of low end torque i could see because of the loss of exhaust velocity.
    Jason King
    6/72 240Z / HLS30 89646 (Yellow)
    1996 Infiniti I30 *I finally have all Nissans again!*
    1971 510 4door (wife's car)
    IZCC Member #14186

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    As unfortunate as it may be, if you want to vintage race, go Euro....If you want to race for real, stick with the Z!

Member ID
    CZCC-14107

Default I had the MSA twice pipes on my 240Z

I can't do a before and after for you. I drove the car from Burbank to the Bay Area where it sat in my garage waiting for me to replace the stock flat top carbs. When I did I replaced the stock exhaust manifold with the MSA header and twice pipes exhaust. I found that the exhaust was anything but "bolt on" and that there was welding required when "no welding" was part of the ad. A mechanic buddy owed me a favor so I took the car down to have the ZTherapy carbs dialed in. I "coat hanger'd" the exhaust in place and took it to him since it would be much easier to install on a lift. He ended up fabricating a lot of the exhaust pieces and welding them together so it didn't look so frankenstein. I was not happy with the performance when I got it back but again, since it had been so long since I got to drive it "before" I can't say if I lost any power. It may just be the stock 240Z engine. I don't know if it has 78,000 miles or 178,000 miles but overall the car didn't look abused and seems to have been garaged and well cared for. I found a rustbucket with a 280ZX engine, tranny and diff so I'm in the middle of swapping things over. I want to bring my ZTherapy carbs over too. I'm seriously considering going with the stock exhaust manifold rather than pony up the money for the MSA header/exhaust combo. I can't move my header over anyway because of different shape of the head ports and money is a little tight right now.

I saw this post and was hoping to hear from people whether they noticed an increase or decrease in performance. Of course using your butt for a dyno doesn't equate to accuracy by any means!

Good luck!
    Owning a Z = Longtime Dream Come True...
    (Was) All Stock 1973 240Z eBay purchase in Oct 2005.
    HLS30-163770, 5 spd, # 918 Orange w/Black interior
    1971/72 ??? 240Z HLS30-15987 (donor car - R.I.P. July 09)
    1974 260Z Stock, Orange ext/Black Int. Oct 2007. Sold June 20, 2008
    1976 280Z - FEB 2011
    Card-carrying member of the RSPBRC (Rear Spindle Pin Bushing Replacement Club)

Member ID
    CZCC-14710

Default TwicePipes

I have a 70 240. Stock SU carbs, Hot Cam, headers with duel 2" pipes, two glass packs on each pipe, one pair under the floor pan, one pair at the rear, four total. The quad glass packs make up the back pressure at low end RPM but do not strangle it at top end. Sounds great at in low speed and really roars when you get on the gas. It dose not sound like any other car in town thats for sure! I have gained lots of power over the single big 3" pipe on it when I got it.

Member ID
    CZCC-9330

Well the sound is why I want the twice pipe set up but Iam not willing to give up any power. I think I will end up taking my Z to the custom stainless guy and see what we can come up with. If a single pipe is in fact better for low end power then I think I would try a single with a glass pack and then maybe dual resonated tips like the pace setter or something.What I really want is something that would come out and then angle up a bit but Iam not sure where to find them.

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

You could of got one or both of these ANSA's I was selling within the last 3 days if it fits what your looking for.
    Link here -> ANSA Twin stacks

~Z~
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

ウイングゼロ 競争 GangLoadOParts.com

Member ID
    CZCC-9330

I saw those on e-bay and thought they were yours. That is what I want in fact thats the brand I want to. I didnt buy because I am putting an L28 in my 260z as we speak and didnt have the extra $$ to do it now but man I really wanted to. Lets see cool ANSA tips or my wife? Hum? ahh? well the tips wont rust but they both sound dam sexy when they scream. Its a close one but I have to pick the wife haha. Seriously thats what Im looking for when Im ready. Hopefully I will do this in August. I want to make sure the new engine is running strong first and then the new exhaust is next.

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

Quote Originally Posted by mars23z View Post
    I saw those on e-bay and thought they were yours. That is what I want in fact thats the brand I want to. I didnt buy because I am putting an L28 in my 260z as we speak and didnt have the extra $$ to do it now but man I really wanted to. Lets see cool ANSA tips or my wife? Hum? ahh? well the tips wont rust but they both sound dam sexy when they scream. Its a close one but I have to pick the wife haha. Seriously thats what Im looking for when Im ready. Hopefully I will do this in August. I want to make sure the new engine is running strong first and then the new exhaust is next.
    I HEAR ON THAT BROTHER ! Good thing I'm single, I'M BUYIMG AS MUCH STUFF AS I CAN ! ! ! !

I had 4 but decided to let go of 2.
    Was planing on a pair hanging side by side for 2 different cars.

One was going to be a Blue 1970 S30Z with the R34 GT-R engine with 6 speed manual transmission
    The 2nd was going to be an all Black S30z with Black rims powered by a Tri carb set up or a R34 GT-R engine

I hear they sound differently from the many people I talk too who give me different descriptions of the sound but they always say they sound great.
    Another thing was the flow was somewhat retstrictive hence my reason for running 2 side by side at a time from the stock exhaust muffler location.
    Of course that'll look SIC as all get out, but I'll have to do some cutting of the sheet metal but who cars as long as it looks stock

Tell you the truth I think running Twin Twins is becoming a theme of mine as you can see from the photos of my muffler collection in this thead we was descussion SHOULD I SELL MY ANSA Resonator thread

Theres some others Cats out there with NOS one's of these from the same source I got mine and I've been thinking I need to track them down and see if their willing to sell.

Guess I have to now as I originally needed 4 and got the last 2 (which made 4) but wanted a 5th as a spare.
    Ahhh the joys of parts buying

~Z~
    Last edited by WingZr0; 07-11-2007 at 12:48 PM.
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

Member ID
    CZCC-9330

I read that thread back when you posted it thats how I figured those were yours on e-bay. Do the turbo tips from vic brit sound like ANSA? Probably not but I dont have a lot of choices. I have found pacesetter, hooker, and a few others but not sure which I will get. I wish there was a thread that had all the exhaust sounds for z cars.

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

Smile

I read that thread back when you posted it thats how I figured those were yours on e-bay. Do the turbo tips from vic brit sound like ANSA? Probably not but I dont have a lot of choices. I have found pacesetter, hooker, and a few others but not sure which I will get. I wish there was a thread that had all the exhaust sounds for z cars.
    ANSA makes great stuff especially in the looks department
    (I heard it ANSA changed companies but kept the same name, can anyone verify this)

I don't know about their new stuff but if they sound anything like the Ferrari in the 1st sound link on their website then I'd say they're doing a good job.
    ANSA Sound Clips

The old stuff is were the actions at for me anyway, theres jus something about old school that sets it off.
    Even the Z 432R muffler is cool no matter how much it may be out performed by todays standards.

Can't say I know what they sound like personnaly untill I get my 280 tommorow and bolt one up, but even then I'm thinking of going with the the rolled lip muffer mounted flush under the bottom of the 2nd slash cut style with the "inner pipes" instead of using my precious Twin Stacks .
    That or turn the rolled lip Verticle and go solo with it.

Club member Nzedder won the 1st Ansa I sold with the Yellow Ferrari sticker.
    When he gets his in the mail perhaps he can tell us what it sounds like to him so we can compare. He's running Tri carbs on his Z and I'll be running FI on mine.
    I assume they'll sound differently depending on the engine mods.

Do you need to run a "pre muffler" with these or can they be used with just straight pipe from exhaust manifold to resonnator?
    My dad even said with out a pre muff I'll destroy the ANSA.

~Z~
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

Member ID
    CZCC-9330

I think I would run a pre muffler if not it would be like a drag car. It probably would burn out the resonators pretty fast to. Where do you find all those ANSA tips? They dont even offer anything like it on http://www.ansaautomotive.com/index.html
    Thats why I was looking at Pacesetter or Hooker they have those at Summit racing. Iam sure there are others I just have to do some more searches. I have used Pacestter before and I do like them and there not that expensive. I have a complete TFX (pacesetter) header and exhaust system on my Jeep Wrangler and it sounds good. Well i told my wife that August was exhaust month so we will see. Her birthday is end of July so that might put a HUGE dent in my wallat. Oh well Ill manage. My new engine should be in and running by tomorrow (cross my fingers). If the Z gods are listening please help my engine run strong. I will give an update when its done.

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Lightbulb

I was reading an article on exhaust and backpressure. The bottomline was that backpressure and performance is total bologna. That is, all the talk about needing back pressure is totally wrong. Here's a link to a discussion about this.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm
    Bryan Pilati
    1971 Datsun 240Z (8/71; 920 paint)
    IZCC #583; TZCC #16; CZC #110
    I'm never serious unless I should be.

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

Talking

I think I would run a pre muffler if not it would be like a drag car. It probably would burn out the resonators pretty fast to. Where do you find all those ANSA tips? They dont even offer anything like it on http://www.ansaautomotive.com/index.html
    Thats why I was looking at Pacesetter or Hooker they have those at Summit racing. Iam sure there are others I just have to do some more searches. I have used Pacestter before and I do like them and there not that expensive. I have a complete TFX (pacesetter) header and exhaust system on my Jeep Wrangler and it sounds good. Well i told my wife that August was exhaust month so we will see. Her birthday is end of July so that might put a HUGE dent in my wallat. Oh well Ill manage. My new engine should be in and running by tomorrow (cross my fingers). If the Z gods are listening please help my engine run strong. I will give an update when its done.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpilati View Post
    I was reading an article on exhaust and backpressure. The bottomline was that backpressure and performance is total bologna. That is, all the talk about needing back pressure is totally wrong. Here's a link to a discussion about this.

Thyanx no doubt you just saved my a whole lotta of grief

I got these off a Cat form Illinoise who must've hade a connection to a warehouse or something that had em laying around still brand new and unused as he claimed they were "The last of the NEW OLD STOCK" he had access to.
    BTW you won't find them in the ANSA website as these were in the early 1970's and maybe up to the early 1980's but I don't know when they ended production though.

Between my #3 muffler and 4th muffler he already sold 4 more to other people. So it turns out I won the last he had at action and got the very last he had in the same day when I asked him if had 2 more for sale.
    (Turns out he only had 1 left just that quick cause there was a ton of people I out bid asking the same thing )

I'll drop him a Email and see if he has more on the interesting history or something and again to see if those previouse customers are willing to sell now too.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm
    I'll read that aricle, after I'm done burning gas in my new 280Z !
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

Yeah, lets hope for that first turn of the key

I TOTALY HACEKD UP THAT LAST POST.

Thyanx no doubt you just saved my a whole lotta of grief

I got these off a Cat form Illinoise who must've hade a connection to a warehouse or something that had em laying around still brand new and unused as he claimed they were "The last of the NEW OLD STOCK" he had access to.
    BTW you won't find them in the ANSA website as these were in the early 1970's and maybe up to the early 1980's but I don't know when they ended production though.

Between my #3 muffler and 4th muffler he already sold 4 more to other people. So it turns out I won the last he had at action and got the very last he had in the same day when I asked him if had 2 more for sale.
    (Turns out he only had 1 left just that quick cause there was a ton of people I out bid asking the same thing )

I'll drop him a Email and see if he has more on the interesting history or something and again to see if those previouse customers are willing to sell now too
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

Unhappy

I missed out on the ANSA auction ! ! ! !

~Z~
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

Member ID
    CZCC-7009

Where do you find all those ANSA tips? They dont even offer anything like it on http://www.ansaautomotive.com/index.html

What about here?

http://www.ansaautomotive.com/ansasp...rsal_tips.html

Seems like the universal dual slash resonated tips might be worthwhile, in 2 or 2 1/4" diameter. No price or pics though...may require some investigation
    Steve

HLS30-81167 restored, top to bottom.
    2001 M roadster Gehen sie Schneller!
    1987 SpecE30 Trackster...welcome home!
    Making up for owning a minivan...
    http://picasaweb.google.com/srcartermd

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

What about here?

http://www.ansaautomotive.com/ansasp...rsal_tips.html

Seems like the universal dual slash resonated tips might be worthwhile, in 2 or 2 1/4" diameter. No price or pics though...may require some investigation
    Thats worth a looking into.
    I sent a email through their contact link, gonna ask them for pics of part numbers
    TK5168
    Chrome Dual Slash Cut Tips (Resonated)
    2" ID x 2 3/4" OD x 20 7/8" Long

AND

TK5768
    Chrome Dual Slash Cut Tips (Resonated)
    2 1/4" ID x 2 3/4" OD x 20 7/8" Long

~Z~
    Last edited by WingZr0; 07-17-2007 at 06:06 PM.
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

Member ID
    CZCC-7009

Beat me to it! Please post when you get them. The specs look about right. I have a set of old Ansa dual slash cut resonated tips (just like what I had back in 1987 on my 1973 Z), but the inlet is about 1 3/4...if these look good, I may have new exhaust!

Steve
    Steve

HLS30-81167 restored, top to bottom.
    2001 M roadster Gehen sie Schneller!
    1987 SpecE30 Trackster...welcome home!
    Making up for owning a minivan...
    http://picasaweb.google.com/srcartermd

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

Beat me to it! Please post when you get them. The specs look about right. I have a set of old Ansa dual slash cut resonated tips (just like what I had back in 1987 on my 1973 Z), but the inlet is about 1 3/4...if these look good, I may have new exhaust!

Steve
    Will do
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

Member ID
    CZCC-9330

Well I just got my twice pipes from MSA. I have to admit they are nicer then what I expected. The picture doesnt do them justice. The tips are much bigger then what I thought they would be. I do have a question does anyone know if I do indeed have to cut the valance panel to fit that exhaust properly? I have heard from others issue about how they hang to low and that the need to be modified to fit, but looking at them they look like they should bolt right up. Anyway what ever I have to do I will do it because I love the look and really love the sound. I have the 3 into 2 header already on it. I cant wait to hear it scream and piss all my buddies that drive Porcshes off. Spring time will never come soon enough. Chris

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Chris, please post pictures when you get them installed...
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-9330

Arne it won't be til spring but after I get them on I will post pics ASAP.

Member ID
    CZCC-13926

i know. i really want to see some pictures!!
    soo much talk about these twice pipes. and NO pics to show??
    ahhhh someone please post it.
    73' 240z in the works..

currently: On 4 jackstands. interior is out. nearly.

Member ID
    CZCC-13572

Hello all,
    I have the Twice Pipes and a MSA 6 into 1 on my 73 240Z. It has a L28 of unknown specs in it (im pretty sure its stock though) but it sounds awesome a bit like the old E/D type Jags did. What ever you do though, if they offer anything other than standard steel or coatings on it, get them asd both my header and exhaust look terrible and they are only a few years old.
    It is the soldier who dies for the flag and is burrried under the flag, who allows the protestor to burn the flag.

73 240z, L28, Early SU's early 5spd unknown rear gears.

Member ID
    CZCC-9330

I was wondering about the rust mine are still in the box and already have light rust on them. Is there anything you can put on them to protect them? Can you powder coat the pipes?

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

I was wondering about the rust mine are still in the box and already have light rust on them. Is there anything you can put on them to protect them? Can you powder coat the pipes?
    I would imagine you could powder coat the back half of the pipe but far as
    the chrome goes I guess you would have to rechrome it.

From what I've seen on some pipes rock chips will have their way regardless
    when it comes to the chrome

~Z~
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

Member ID
    CZCC-15080

I would get the entire system ceramic coated, but that's just me XP
    rust protection and as far as I know, does a good job of protecting against chips and stuff.
    Owner of:
    1978 280z HLS30-465974
    Current Progress:Tweaking, tuning, planning, waiting

Member ID
    CZCC-9330

The chrome on mine is fine but the black part is not what I would call rusted but it does have some oxidation. So powder coat would work then? I dont know much about ceramic coating is it a similar process? Does anyone know about what that might cost? Thanks Chris

Member ID
    CZCC-12393

Default Jet-Hot coating..

FWIW...

I sent a header in to Jet-Hot coatings just a couple weeks ago, it should be back any day now with any luck. It's a metal/ceramic coating process that is pricey but it sure looks good and is guaranteed. Check out their website: http://www.jet-hot.com/ Customer service is excellent and turn around time was quick.. only about a week between when they got the part and when they shipped it back out to me.

It cost me about $300 to have a 6-into-2 header coated with the sterling finish coating. They will coat anything you send them including intake manifolds, etc. I was going to send along a collector for the header and they would have charged me $15 per foot of tubing. Ultimately I decided not to do that right now. The good thing is they will accept those nasty rusted headers and prep them up right for the coating, they don't have to be new. Mine weren't new but they weren't nasty rusty either.

Are you talking about coating your entire exhaust system? That would be sweet and you'd likely never need to replace it either. Costly though.. Whew!!

Hope this helps...

Tom.

Nissan Monterey Blue Early '74 260Z
    RLS30-037826
    Complete rotisserie refreshtoration in process

Member ID
    CZCC-1367

We just swapped an L28 into The Wingnut's 260Z, and installed the twicepipe system. It's QUITE loud. Here's a video clip

http://www.datsunracing.com/other/wingzl28.avi
    '73 turbo rotary powered 240z

www.rotaryz.com
    www.datsunracing.com

Member ID
    CZCC-14101

Sounds cool, Im building a l28 motor at the moment with stage 4 cam and triple dellorto's........thinking strongly about getting this exhaust system..........does the back box mount vertically or horizontal?......like is one pipe over the other or side by side?

Member ID
    CZCC-16878

I just got my headers and twicepipe system. I hope to install it some time this month. I have the engine and trans out of the car. Installing new bearings in the engine and swaping the trans for a 5 speed. I am also installing a R200 diff. Hope this will make the car more driveable and get a little better gas milage.

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

Quote Originally Posted by hooter View Post
    I just got my headers and twicepipe system. I hope to install it some time this month. I have the engine and trans out of the car. Installing new bearings in the engine and swaping the trans for a 5 speed. I am also installing a R200 diff. Hope this will make the car more driveable and get a little better gas milage.
    Hello, Welcome to the Club yo ^_^

Sounds like your off to the proper start already are you going for
    the drag, street or track set up with you diff gearing?
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

Member ID
    CZCC-16878

I live in the hills and want a car that takes the corners well. I have already install all new bushing and rubber under the car. I installed a stage 3 cam and 240z carbs on my 260z. I also got the car from my mom who got in in 1974. So the car is Real CLEAN. only 127,000 miles.

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

Quote Originally Posted by hooter View Post
    I live in the hills and want a car that takes the corners well. I have already install all new bushing and rubber under the car. I installed a stage 3 cam and 240z carbs on my 260z. I also got the car from my mom who got in in 1974. So the car is Real CLEAN. only 127,000 miles.
    Nice Niooccceeeee ^_^

You know what they say, "The best cure for a hill, is TORQUE"

~Z~
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

Member ID
    CZCC-9330

UPDATE!! Well I finally got my twice pipes installed. I love them they sound great and look great. I can say one thing they are definatly NOT bolt on and go. I had one of the guys in the shop where I work put them on. No big deal but he did have to heat some pipes and bent them a little to make them fit right and welded a few brackets and hangers to hold them nice and tight. I will post some pics ASAP. Anyway just wanted to let everyone know that I am very happy with the system and that now you can here me coming from about a mile away . Chris

Member ID
    CZCC-16296

Sound clips?

Greg

Thread Information