Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do people notice you in your classic Z on the road?

Member ID
    CZCC-16772

I notice being noticed on the road, but lately its not the good kind. I'll be tooling down the road at 40, and see a minvan or an Escalade, or a BMW - doesn't matter - on a side road up ahead. They'll sit and watch me head toward them and then right before I get there, they remember they were going to turn and pull out right in front of me!

This leads to an awkward visual acknowledgement where the driver of the other car is smiling at me, and I'm scowling and yelling 'dumbass' out the window at him.

I'm probably not representing our fine community all that well...
    1971 HLS30-13940

Back in the saddle again. Poindexter's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-16786

I agree with the folks who have commented on the oblivious state most 350Z owners drive around in. Much like DougN, I consider the Z the forefather of all Z's so when this gorgeous 350Z convertible pulled up next to me in a Whole Foods parking lot, I said playfully, "Hi cousin!". The driver put down his cell phone and said "Do I know you?" I asked him "you do recognize my car don't you?" to which he replied "no, I don't like Corvettes." At moments like that it's hard for me to *not* be incredulous. Stereotypes are usually based in fact.

Next- I usually go to at least 2 Cruise-Ins a week during the summer. They each both have well over 100 cars, sometimes 3 times that, and universally the people there are among the nicest I encounter anywhere. Besides having the same Japanese license plates that I have in my signature, "Datsun" appears literally at least once on every side of the car. "Hey what you got there?" can be heard more often than I can believe. But mostly people come over and tell me about their Z's from back in the 70's and how sad they are to ever have sold it. They also freak out when I tell them that my Z is in original paint. She represents herself pretty well. Rarity does play a part too, as I have yet to see another Z in any of these shows. There's a real Hemi Cuda, but no Z cars.

Finally, I have been chased down by a guy in a 280ZX who wanted to show his gf "the car that started the whole 'Z thing'." That was cool. On the street what happens most of the time is some variant of the thumbs up, "nice car" and "what year is your 260?" kind of thing. Most of the recognition actually comes from the 20ish year old crowd, or from someone in their 40-50's and the most appreciation seems to come from the 8-12 year olds who recognize the car from video games I think. They seem to uniformly love the car. The 920 gold color does have something to do with it, as really nothing on the road is that color so she really stands out among all of the Corvettes, Mustangs and Porsches.

To my knowledge, as told to me by many, there are no other Z's on the road in my whole county- which is pretty large.
    Last edited by Poindexter; 08-15-2008 at 04:09 AM.

2/71 240Z, HLS30-23788. 920 Gold/Black. California car. 5-speed, otherwise all original/paint, stickers & matching #'s. Driven almost daily over my local "road course" along a river. Performing thorough mechanical restoration, using only OEM parts to not ruin the provenance as an "original" car. Please check out my Flickr photostream!
    Love Cars, Love People, Love Life!
    CarDomain site- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3081352
    Flickr- http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagebuilders/

Member ID
    CZCC-1614

Well, here in Montreal, I do see a lot of people slowing to have a peak at the car and kids in window's car looking and probably asking their parents : What car is this???

Plus, I do have some nodding from time to time and thumbs up also at traffic lights while waiting..
    and people looking at the car like it is a UFO...

Problem is most people buy cars to go to point A-B, but want to ride a piece of history...
    But the best was this...

Last week, I went to Charlevoix,

near Qc, my home region, and parked the Z in front of Manoir Richelieu (fancy Hotel)

next beside 2 Ferraris, an F430 and a 612..

Both owners came to talk to me and told me, once, they were younger, they had each a 240Z... and that was bringing back good memories..

I was so ....thrilled!!
    Last edited by guy_geo; 08-15-2008 at 05:13 AM.
    C:\Ancien Disque Dur\Albums photos\Autos Divers\240Z Guy 2008\10.jpg240Z..

FAST & CHEAP = NOT GOOD
    CHEAP & GOOD = NOT FAST
    FAST & GOOD = NOT CHEAP

Member ID
    CZCC-17097

My stories sound similar to others. I used to work at a hotel, and whenever I brough up my car around those 40-50 years old they had a story. Either they owned one, or a close relative did. On the road no one seems to note much, but I have had an early 300ZX rev at me from the opposite intersection just to say "hi". Every time I'm on the side of the road though, I get people stopping to see if I need anything and tell me about the Z they used to own. Of note though, most everyone thinks its a 280Z. When I tell them its a '72 they kind of go silent for a second.
    '72 240Z - F54, P79, '78 5 Speed, 3.9 R200

Member ID
    CZCC-1730

I have had a number of people at car shows tell me stories about either them or some relative that had a Z but it rusted away or was into a pole or guardrail. I have also had people that have later models, that they like my car cause they can see the sparkplugs.
    72 240-- stock motor and drivetrain, 50,500 orig. miles

Torch Wielding Villager gogriz91's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-2233

I get eyeballed by the "Honda with a wing" crowd and the "Neon with a fartcan" exhaust crowd as well.

There are a few 350's running around but on only one occasion did one ever recognize my car as an early Z. I'm tooling home and notice a 350 behind me at the light, no big wup, but after the light turns green, the car pulls up beside me and it's the Wing CC, a one star General. He says "Nice Z" then lays on the gas. I follow, couldn't pull on him but slowed the gap until we hit about 85. (I'm trying to figure out which of my kids band instruments I can sell to fund either the ITB, turbo or triple Mikuni transplant that is in my future to "close the gap")
    '73 HLS30 129806 ; L-28, street cam, SUs, 5-speed, Koni's, Suspension techniques springs, swaybars, 3.90 R200 LSD

Heavily medicated for your protection

Member ID
    CZCC-15588

Evening all , when I bought my Z last sept in Kelowna , I drove home to the lower mainland along the Coquihalla highway , and when I stopped at the toll booth to pay , the girl taking my loot said to me that my car was a rare sight as she see's very few a year . We then pulled over to use the restrooms and as I was waiting for my son , this guys walks up to me and says that he saw me drive by him at the Merrit interchange and he was hoping to catch up to me to talk the Z talk , seems he was a former owner of a early z back in the day . Here in the great white north our Z's are totally noticed every where we go .
    Later all , gotta go to the garage and continue pecking away at my resto .
    Chris
    71-z , great for me , awesome for the parts store , hey I'm helping the local economy !

Member ID
    CZCC-6449

the other day i took my two boys out to eat in my z, and on the way home we passed the skate board park. the skateboarders noticed the car and one of them yelled cool car.

my younger son, said they were being sarcastic. i said nope. they like the z, even though it looks so bad needing paint. my kids always give me a hard time about the car. i keep telling them when it is finished i am going to make them beg me to let them ride in it for all of the crap they have given me all this time.
    '74 260 2 + 2 trying to get it together
    '69 2000 roadster
    '00 Maxima SE for the wife
    '93 300ZX convertible - daughter's car
    '02 Sentra SER-4 -son's car
    '10 Frontier, my work truck
    '88 300ZX SS, my ex
    '79 280ZX my first one, sold after getting married

Member ID
    CZCC-15799

Red face My classic 280ZX?

I bought a 280ZX just for the engine/tranny. I have been taking it for a morning spin around the beltway about every other day for the last 2 weeks. A few days ago, I was driving down the street on my way to the beltway, and I noticed a couple of kids playing in a yard... so I slow down just in case one of them might run into the street. Once kid picks up the ball and looks, and then the other one looks. Then the mother comes out and gives me a big thumbs up. It was a great moment.

The 280ZX is no looker. Its tired looking. But I think everyone in the neighborhood knows what I am doing with the 240Z and why I bought the ZX.

Just thininking out loud here.

Member ID
    CZCC-14244

i always get people string at my car, sometimes they say something but i get the looks when im driving but the usual is "I owned of these"
    1972 Mustang mach 1
    1972 240z
    1973240Z
    1976280Z

Member ID
    CZCC-15293

M Z doesnt even leave the garage to get attention. I had an older man walk into my garage one time at a yard sales to "admire" my paint less Z. He gave me the "I used to have one, wish I still had it" speech

Member ID
    CZCC-3035

I have been driving my 240Z a lot more the past couple of weeks than I did when I first got the thing running, and it is difficult adjusting to the stares. My wife rode with me to Walmart this afternoon and kept commenting on all the people who were stopping and watching us roll by.

I don't know if it is that the car is so unusual, or the obnoxious paint color. To be honest, I picked that color in part because I wanted people to see it when I was driving. The LAST thing that I want after spending 5 years rebuilding it is for someone to smash into me because they didn't notice that I was in the way.

(My mother's 79 Honda Civic was hit three or four times in its short one year life because the mud brown paint color, and its small size made it invisible to the locals.)

On the other hand, it appears that a large percentage of the local population does not recognize the car at all.
    '71 240Z, Because any fool can drive fast in a straight line.

Back in the saddle again. Poindexter's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-16786

@Walter Moore- perhaps you should consider getting a Ferrari/Fiamm triple airhorn like I did? After nearly getting run down twice in one day by obnoxious drivers in an Excursion and one of those perfectly ridiculous International Harvester CXT SUV/wagons (14,500 lbs!) I decided that if they couldn't see me they certainly would hear me! They're actually under $30 on Amazon/ebay and worth their weight in gold.

I added a rear red fog light as we have a serious fog issue here on the ocean, and I also installed "selective yellow" fogs to the factory front install points under the bumper, with Cibie driving lights going behind the grille as soon as they arrive. It's better to be seen and heard rather than end up furry red goo wrapped in Safari Gold foil. I love that green too, btw.
    Last edited by Poindexter; 08-16-2008 at 08:36 PM.

2/71 240Z, HLS30-23788. 920 Gold/Black. California car. 5-speed, otherwise all original/paint, stickers & matching #'s. Driven almost daily over my local "road course" along a river. Performing thorough mechanical restoration, using only OEM parts to not ruin the provenance as an "original" car. Please check out my Flickr photostream!
    Love Cars, Love People, Love Life!
    CarDomain site- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3081352
    Flickr- http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagebuilders/

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

Default They dig it

People here notice my Z. Its hard not to being orange but its not a show car by any means. The really surprising event happened when we went to Crusin in Ocean City MD. It happens every year and LOADS of american muscle cars from all over meet up and drive around, set up in parking lots, parade down the boardwalk. I took my old Z down there last year and people LOVED this car, its really awesome when you are riding in a pack of 80 thousand dollar american muscle car restorations and most are pointing at my Z, it really was a great feeling, even the drivers of those candy sweet muscle cars loved it. Its loud, kinda rat rodish with its rough worked patch panel and primer spots on rust lol. They are very rare here, i've only saw 2 of them other than mine here and I drive 100k miles a year easy(not in my Z lol I wish). Lots of people at the pump strike up a conversation and relive old memories, kids point, I had a teenager with his mom ride next to me this weekend snapping pictures with his cell phone camera, he was all smiles. I didn't buy the car to impress people by any means, I bought it to drive for fun but its pretty awesome how many that it does impress here.
    Last edited by MotoManMike; 03-07-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Member ID
    CZCC-23981

The best times are when I drop off my 12 year-old daughter Chloe at her jr. high...the looks from the boys are priceless. She has a couple of girlfriends her age who like to go with us to get ice cream at the Dairy Queen. Chloe and a friend cram into the right bucket...yeah, I know, not the safest, but they wrap the lap belt around them and I drive the back streets the 3 blocks to DQ. Teens and older guys seem the most interested in it, and it gets frequent favorable remarks at the gas station. Many looks on the roads around Columbus, OH...S30s are very rare around here.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

My 72 Z collects lots of attention,on the road, at the gas pump,at the Sunday morning local car gathering, seems that complements are trigger by the historic Maryland tags on it and the bright orange color.Yes she has a lot of eye appeal,she is not a show car but a solid 5 footer that I enjoy every time I occupied it's cabin.

Member ID
    CZCC-21454

I don't drive mine much anymore, 1500 miles a year, but when I do I usually get alot of attention. Some wanted, some not. The not is when these young a** kids (no offense to anyone in this club) with their fast subaru's, mitsubishi's, hondas, etc. want to race! I wish I could race them sometimes and kick their butts! but we all know the stock 280's aren't that fast. The good ones say "wow that looks nice", what year is it? etc, etc. It does get alot of attention. Especially when I drive it down the PCH. I have made friends driving mine around. Have a great day everyone.

Member ID
    CZCC-20806

A Z was my first car I owned, back when I turned 16. I just always liked them since then, guess you can say I am still into them because it brings back the old memories. I get many questions from the older folks, they remember the cars but its been so many years that they have seen them on the road it brings back memories, its a good conversation piece cause mostly everybody has a memory to tell about these cars. But what I really enjoy, is when I see a young kid comes up to me and they actually know about these cars, cause that is rather rare nowadays. I just think its cool that the younger generation has an interest in these cars still.
    1971 240z, L28 with SUs.

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

I live in a pretty small community, and my Z is my daily driver, so I think my viewing public has reached saturation. They've seen it, stared at it, and commented about it if they were going to comment at all. It got quite a few looks in the beginning, but now not so much.

Where I do still get comments/questions/long looks is:

-- Car dealerships. Car people LOVE to talk about my Z!
    -- Sometimes at gas stations.
    -- Sometimes at red lights, someone will be hanging out a window, giving me a thumbs-up. Rarely, though.
    -- Restaurant parking lots. People hanging around outside smoking (cough, cough) love to strike up conversations and will recount the good times of their youth. It seems a surprising number of people have connections to the S-30.

On a rare occasion I had to be towed, the tow truck driver told me he destroyed a Z engine at 160 mph. "Great car!" he said.

I think my car would get more attention if it were red or Hulk-green. Silver is a pretty nondescript color.
    Last edited by FastWoman; 03-08-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    My last three sports cars while I still owned all three:

2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i soft/hard top (sold)
    1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (sold)
    1978 Datsun 280Z (enjoying very much )

Member ID
    CZCC-25402

I'm in San Jose, CA, and there's a mix crowd out here: a lot of car buffs (and if you'v seen my car, it could use a buff... and a whole new paint job), but i'm with FastWoman - got a silver Z. I'd say most Z drivers are looking for you though (240z - 370z); I've only ran into 1 240z driver that didn't flinch when i was honking by on the other side of the road w/ my hands flailing. I'm relatively new to the Z scene, so i try to "make it a meet" every chance i get.

Certainly we get more looks / comments than most modern cars (yes!).

And we're back in culture with the pop/hip-hop scene being in Far East Movement music videos! :]
    1977 Datsun 280z, 4/77, 81k original miles. Been stored under a tree, just waiting for me.
    Now a daily driver, see its progress at www.DailyDatsun.com

Member ID
    CZCC-13823

A couple of years ago I was cruising around in my Z and I noticed there was a car cruise going on, heading in the opposite direction. 99% American muscle cars. I thought what the heck, did a quick U-turn, came back and merged right between two muscle cars (they actually let me in!). Anyway, the Z got all kinds of attention from the crowd....I heard one lady shriek "its a Datsun!". Alot of thumbs-up and cheers, somewhat surprising for a muscle car crowd. Maybe they just needed some relief from the never-ending string of Mustangs and Camaros.
    Last edited by SportBikeMike; 03-08-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    '82 Datsun 280ZX Turbo
    '14 Ford Focus ST
    '84 Bertone X 1/9
    '07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
    '97 Ducati 916

Member ID
    CZCC-18366

Any interest in my car would be easier to analyze if the PO hadn't painted Pebbles and Bam Bam on it complete with the painter's signature. Still, with the cartoon characters I love owning it. In my signature picture you can just make out Pebbles on the left rear quarter panel just aft of the antenna mount.

70 240Z HLS30-00907, 1/70, wiper motor 97 Accord, Dave's harness mods, turn signal relay mod, quartz movement in clock, map light fixed, connectors cleaned/greased, 60A alt w/ NOS voltage regulator, weatherstrip replaced, defroster grid replaced, undergoing rust prevention. Previous owner of 71 240Z, 8/71, HLS30-41545, last seen in Sacramento painted blue (originally orange) has anyone seen it?

Member ID
    CZCC-16798

Hi,
    I usually get all sorts of attention when out in the z, smiles, waves ,a friendly pat on the roof and comment "nice old car mate"by a cop as he handed me my speeding ticket,and an amusing comment from an american guy at the gas station last weekend, " nice car, what year is that? how'd you get the steering wheel on the other side?" not sure all the 350/370z owners recogniZe their car's distant relative.Also, there does seem to be a mentality down here of "oh that looks old I'll go out of my way to (try) and pass it.

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

It's probably the second biggest reason for loving this car-the first being the fun of driving it and listening to the inline sex!

My son who is in highschool hopes I will pick him up everyday at school-the kids have no idea what the car is but they think it's an cool

I had a guy in a company van stop in front of me at a 4 way stop sign in the middle of traffic hour to jump out and take a picture of my car. I mean traffic was backed up everywhere-I'm like- are you kidding me!

I bought a new car the other day and I drove my Z to do the final paperwork at the dealer. After the final transaction the dealer looked at me with a big sh!t eating grin and said," soooo, you need me to drive your Z car home so you can the new car home". I said -sure- and he followed me home driving my Z. He was about my age and he couldn't thank me enough and took a dozen pictures in the garage.

I get thumbs up from at least one person everytime I drive around.

What's interesting and soon might get more interesting is the fact that i live in Bloomington at Indiana University where there is a very large young Asian population of rich kids. There is a tons of young Asians driving around Audis, Maserattis, porsches and we are not talking the cheap models. I wonder what these young "hot rodders" think of seeing a Japenese hot rod running around. I just moved back into this area so I'm quite sure my car will get known around this community.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2400.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	51717  
    Steve
    71 240z,bw-5sp 2.4-40 over,balanced,e-88,big valves,ported&polished, stage2,header, triple Mikuni's 40's
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

"Some wanted, some not. The not is when these young a** kids (no offense to anyone in this club) with their fast subaru's, mitsubishi's, hondas, etc. want to race! I wish I could race them sometimes and kick their butts!"

Why not spank the kids with the hondas and subaru's. I do it all the time. Some of them get me off the line, but when I hit 4th gear its game over. I've found with my 4 speed many will always get you off the line, but once you get rolling, they just can't hang. On top of the fact many cars have a limiter at 118. I've read alot that these Datsun top out right around there but first hand experience is they are very wrong. I don't condone street racing by any means, I don't ever do this in traffic but its very wide open here and flat. If i'm on the highway by myself and have a ricer roll up on me revving his motor, i'm going to hurt his feelings I just can't help it.
    Last edited by MotoManMike; 03-09-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-24603

I can't help getting attention in the Z, especially since it's bright green. I love little kids reactions when they see it, they"ll point and say, "Check out that Lamborghini!" apparently only Lambos are bright green. Where I live the ricers thrive after dark. It's always fun to see they're reactions as they pass in rattle-canned black Civics and Acuras.

Chase
    1972 240z 51K original miles
    1976 Datsun 620 pickup
    1991 BMW 3 series - Daily Driver
    1974 Porsche 914 1.8

Member ID
    CZCC-23233

Wow. How fun that this thread has been revived! I never knew it existed. Here are a couple of stories...

Back in 1977 when I had my first 240z (I was only 18 at the time), I was visiting my grandmother where she lived at a senior citizen's apartment building. I pulled my car into the parking lot and got out of my car. Right next to me an older woman (maybe in her 70's) was getting out of her car. She looked over at me and asked "Is that your car?" I said "Yes," and she replied "Hot Diggety!" and we each went our own way. It still makes me laugh when I think about it.

Last year when I purchased my current 240z project, I had to trailer it home. My wife and I made the 4-hour trip together. As we were driving along the highway, a young man (in his 20's) drove up beside me in a Subaru WRX emphatically gaving me the thumb's up. I think he was more excited about the car than I was.

Here's how they looked at the time...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	240z_3.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	51742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000646.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	261.3 KB 
ID:	51743
    Keith
    1970 240z - Stock - HLS30-04642

Member ID
    CZCC-20649

The S30 still catches the eye. Just goes to show the designers were spot on back then.

Member ID
    CZCC-7584

My 280Z looks like crap but I still get a lot of positive comments. Getting gas is almost always a long process and when I park it in public I often get a note asking if I want to sell. Here in the rust belt, most Datsuns are long gone so even a ratty one like mine stands out. I can only imagine how much attention it'll attract once I finish redoing the car to my standards.
    Jim

'75 280Z (good car)
    '77 280Z (parts car)

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

I had to go back and read the entire thread to see what I had commented on back in 08. It was just completed with tags but without insurance.

Speaking of rich college students, when attended my first McPherson College Car Show, these two 'kids' parked by me.

Bonzi Lon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	McPherson 005.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	51749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	McPherson 002.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	51750  
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

I have actually had cars ride side by side with me at 60MPH and the drivers pull our their cell phones and start clicking pictures! You gotta love it!
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-5999

I had a funny story that happened after I started this thread. I was cruising on the "Palouse" a very hilly, rural, agricultural area south of Spokane. In the distance I glimpsed what I thought was a new VW Beetle that disappeared behind one of the little hills. As I rounded a very tight curve, I saw it was a Porsche 911 Turbo coming towards me. We only were in sight of each other for a few seconds. He saw I was in a 240-Z, and gave me a quick thumbs up. As I rounded the next tight corner, there was another very nice 911, and the guy flashed his lights at me as we passed. Then I rounded the corner and was on a long straightaway, about a mile long. There, in the oncoming lane were about ten more Porsches,of various models, but none as nice as the first two I encountered. I was the only other car on the road, in this area surrounded by wheat fields. As I passed the 944's, and 924's, not a single one of the other drivers even gave me a second look.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

I can not ignore my other Datsun,,,my 72 510 two door also gets its inventory of reactions , for sure its orange color is one of the magnets, and when car guys see that the entire body wears its original 40 yr old paint and period mods ,then I must go on and share its history.
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 03-10-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-13823

My 240Z is in the shop right now getting an engine swap among other things. I was talking to the mechanic today and he said it gets several complements every day and he's had several people offer to buy it.

Even when I had my 280ZXT, it got loads of complements. One time I drove it to work, I happened to glance out the window, amd two kids were taking pictures of it with their phones.

Like others have mentioned, I live in the Midwest, and there are virtually no Datsuns left, which accounts for alot of the attention, along with their retro good looks.
    '82 Datsun 280ZX Turbo
    '14 Ford Focus ST
    '84 Bertone X 1/9
    '07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
    '97 Ducati 916

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

On Sunday I got together and met MotoManMike , we ended having lunch in Kent Island MD, while talking and checking our Z's we had people as entering the restaurant that came to us and complemented our orange Z's.It was a nice ride and I met a brother Marylander Z car nut like my self.

Member ID
    CZCC-18366

I left a couple of things out from my previous post. I have had a couple of enthusiastic thumbs up from a neighbor and a visitor of anther neighbor. Ten minues after I bought my car a few years ago driving it home I stopped at a gas station and the driver in the next car said he'd wished he had put cartoon characters on a car he had had. Last year I had it parked to go in a hardware store and came out to see a group of folks looking at it as they walked back from a fast food place for lunch.

Member ID
    CZCC-24084

I was playing basketball in the driveway last night with my son, and my neighbor walked by with his two wiener dogs, and starting asking me about a "dachshund" that had showed up in my driveway. His dogs get loose from time to time and do "visit" when they do, so I was a little confused, and...then he enunciated and started asking me about my Datsun. Said he used to own a '78 280 and cried the day he sold it.

It's amazing how many people have connections to these cars, whether individually, or through a spouse/S.O., friend or coworker. And remember them.
    Last edited by BoldUlysses; 03-16-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    Matt | Spannerhead.com | Original Z Owner #129 (2nd Gen) - '72 240Z (HLS30-93069) '95 525i/5 '05 MPV

Member ID
    CZCC-25526

I took my 260 out a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday. This was the first time I had driven it out of town. The first stop I made at a store there was a guy walking in looking back over his shoulder. I went on in and he asked if I was driving the Z. He went on to tell me he had owned 2 Zs. Mine is drivable now, but needs paint, etc. Looking forward to new paint and some Shine... should get noticed more then.

Member ID
    CZCC-7110

My '70, unfinished, sitting under a tarp in the driveway, gets comments just because of its shape. I occasinally have to uncover it for some personal satisfaction. I have always loved the beauty of its lines. I drive my '76 BMW 2002 daily and it gets lots of positive comments, especially from kids; young ones just love it's clunky style for some reason. My son had it as his first car through high school with the orig engine, carbs, etc., and it made him super cool except when it wouldn't start. Now when I get someone interested, I show the cute little twin cam m42 with Fi, coils on plugs, header, etc., and it lights up faces. Can't wait to get my beloved '70 Z together. The other day I ran across my brother out in his georgeous '67 Austin Healey 3000 mkIV. There aren't many interesting cars here in central Indiana corn belt, but the 2002 does get noticed. My vet complains there won't be any more stone in his parking lot because he thinks I go around the corner into his lot too fast. I tell him it's just because the car is so small, I wasn't doing over 30. Being a teacher in a small, conservative, mostly rural community doesn't allow much anomynity. There might be some Z's in Indy, but I never see them.

Member ID
    CZCC-5718

from my computer room i can look out my window into my front yard. one day when i had my zed parked out front in the shade i saw what looked to be a grandmother walking her grandchild. she looked to be 2 or 3 years old and just starting to learn how to walk. the child was holding the grandma's pinky finger and as they passed by the zed the kid's head and eyes were locked onto the car as she kept walking. it made me grin to think such a young kid would notice, but i believe it was the color that caught her attention.( 112 yellow lime green)
    to be or not to be- shakespeare
    do be do be do- sinatra
    vehicles owned
    72 240z
    2009 honda civic exl
    1973 triumph tr6
    wife's
    2002 vw jetta
    68 390 mustang coup

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzi Lon View Post
    I had to go back and read the entire thread to see what I had commented on back in 08. It was just completed with tags but without insurance.

Speaking of rich college students, when attended my first McPherson College Car Show, these two 'kids' parked by me.

Bonzi Lon
    Your's is the nicest!
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

Member ID
    CZCC-23509

Quote Originally Posted by 72 OJ View Post
    On Sunday I got together and met MotoManMike , we ended having lunch in Kent Island MD, while talking and checking our Z's we had people as entering the restaurant that came to us and complemented our orange Z's.It was a nice ride and I met a brother Marylander Z car nut like my self.
    We're only a couple of hours away, three orange Z's together would turn a few heads! That is, if you don't mind being seen with a 280...

HLS30 371-239 (1/77)
    Every time he touched her, she told him that places where she wanted to be more beautiful!
    Mr.Tamura said it is like an old craftsman of Buddha statue,he did not creat it, Buddha itself...
    Kats

FSM: http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html
    EFI "bible" : http://www.4moores.com/280z/files/280zfuelinjectionbook.pdf

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Willoughby Z...send a PM and lets plan a ORANGE Z meet.

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Your's is the nicest!
    Thanks Blue. The color did it. Right?

The McPherson College Show is a fantastic fun event. Last year a student saw my Z, said he had one and would bring it over. He & his friends went to the shop & pushed over his rolling shell 260Z, it was stripped, using vice grips for a steering wheel! It was a stark contrast in before & after.

Jay Leno, other well known persons and corporations give quite generously to McPherson College, the only 4 year accreaded College Course in America for automobile restoration. They invite him every year, but has yet to attend the show, someday he will, and I will be there with one of my Datsuns.

Bonzi Lon
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

Member ID
    CZCC-1420

Hi everyone,

Its been a while..........I get the usual thumbs up while on the road but, I always find it a bit humorous when younger folks see it parked and get a funny look on their face and ask, "what is a Datsun?" So, I give them a brief history lesson about Datsun.

Tom

Member ID
    CZCC-23932

Everywhere I go they love my car, Me and my dad were on a roadtrip to NewMexico last summer and we had girls takin pictures of us at this gas station we stopped at, Then one time in Arizona I got pulled over the cop walked half way to my car and turned around, got in his car and drove off. Im convinced he just wanted to look at my car. Setting those two experiences aside, every time I take my car out I get atleast 1 complement regardless of where I go. I love my 260z.

Member ID
    CZCC-12411

Default Attention!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guy Magnet.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	52104Everytime I take her out she get's plenty of attention, and many times folks will come and talk to me about the Z, what an ice breaker!!

Member ID
    CZCC-7312

What a great thing it is to have a little car that garners so much attention! My experiences are very much the same, the only thing I don't like is the attention from the police. There are a couple of small towns in my area where the police are real DiHicks. They most always give the plates and various stickers the once over then give me a nod. Good Times.
    Andrew (ZCurves)
    1978 Coupe - HLS30-440105
    Spring, Texas USA

pro deo et patria
    My Albumz

Member ID
    CZCC-26639

For myself every one is looking at my Z when it is parked on the street. At the mall. When i put some gas in it. I received a note under my wipper once.
    Got to my car after being at the post office ther was i guy taking pictures of it. I also have A Mini cooper S 2007 laser blue and white with Chrome line
    option and it is not turning head as the Z is. The main difference is that the Mini turns young heads the Z turns everyone. I am in Quebec and here with
    the slat in winter there are very few good shape Z and mine is in very good shape.

Member ID
    CZCC-26762

I get noticed constantly here in the Medford OR area. And my 280Z looks like crap! I bought it a couple of months ago. Barely running. Primer spots all over old paint. Interior gutted. But I'm starting to restore it. I got it running great! So now I drive it regularly. Thumbs up, waves, people checking it out in the parking lots. Wait till I drop a paint job on it! I love owning/driving a Z!

Member ID
    CZCC-26870

sometimes i pick my son up at his high school and one time i had a group of girls walk by and one of them said "pretty sexy car ma'am."

Member ID
    CZCC-26870

oh that pisses me off to. i had guys in thier pickups pull that one twice here in Texas.

Member ID
    CZCC-22534

We have been remolding Bill Brown Ford on and off for a while now.
    First in the back in the service area last year. If it is nice and i don't need my truck i will drive one of my cars.
    My 78 is apart for paint but i have two on the road my 83zx and 83 rx7.
    When working out back all the service guys and costumers would gonk all day.

Now we are working up front i and pull inside to unload. The front garage is huge they prep cars for the showroom
    and prep cars for pickup after sales. Anyway i had my 83zx parked inside there for a few days. More then one salesmen started telling there Z story. The owner who is a hot 30 something chick really liked the z.
    Most people under 20 didn't know what it was. Anybody that walked by stopped and looked.

Every body would ask whose car is this and why is it in this FORD DEALERSHIP.
    The only wear on this car is a suntan on the rear shock towers.
    BGM

Member ID
    CZCC-16108

Actually people do comment on my car. I met a couple of friends this past week end at a local park. We met there to convoy up to Limerock. My first friend has a 2010 Shelby GT 500, second friend has a 2012 S4. The three of us were parked along the curb waiting for the fourth to arrive. Well guess who people would come up to? Me. It was kind of funny. People would come walking in our direction and suddenly veer off and come to me and ask me questions about my car. Even little babies 3-4year olds would point to my car and want to see it. I had to try hard to keep my smirk to myself. It wasn't until my third friend arrived, that the attention shifted from my car to his. He has an 06 Ford GT

Member ID
    CZCC-15388

Quote Originally Posted by mybluz View Post
    sometimes i pick my son up at his high school and one time i had a group of girls walk by and one of them said "pretty sexy car ma'am."
    They are just jealous...
    Julio
    1972 240Z (in-progress, 95% complete)
    CZC# 15388

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

I went to Supercar Sunday early this morning in the Z and saw some awesome cars, including a Skyline (which had the steering wheel and pedals on the WRONG side of the car). So after a drive through the canyons, I was going to the shop to work on the roadster, and the guy next to me keeps giving me the thumbs up, (I swear it was the thumb). So I turn to look, and it was Jay Leno in some early 20's right hand drive Rolls Royce looking thing- or some other car way out of my league.

I knew he had owned a roadster back in the day, but it was nice to see that he had a appreciation for the Z as well.

Member ID
    CZCC-7975

That's really cool! From people I know who have dealt with him in person, they say he acts like just another car guy.
    Jeff
    Northville, Michigan
    IZCC #1285
    '78 280 10:1 CR, Arizona Z Car header, urethane bushings, Tokico springs, Illumina struts, Panasports w/Hankook R-S2 225/50R16 tires, Maxima 105 amp alternator
    http://www.classiczcars.com/photopos...00&ppuser=7975
    '74 260Z BRE look-alike crap can for Optima Batteries ChumpCar World Series Racing racing
    https://www.facebook.com/Jeff.Grauer

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

This morning at the BP gas station filling my Z a nice couple ask if they could take pictures of my car and a mandatory converse on her acquisition

Member ID
    CZCC-11884

nothing better than a honda owner starring at my 240z while driving on the street.(big grin on my face)

Member ID
    CZCC-24528

I'll tell you what's better, is a BMW owner starring you down after you push your right foot down. Older guys will give you the thumbs up. Kids like to take pictures, or will ask you . WHAT'S THAT.
    Ray
    1974 Datson 260Z
    RLS30-27748 Matching #'s
    L26 Stock w/72 Round Tops
    Interpart Front Spoiler
    Addco Front & Rear Sway Bars
    My Very First Car
    Purchased 5/23/1974

Thread Information