Thread: Question about storing

Member ID
    CZCC-14525

Default Question about storing

Never stored a Z before. I assume it's jsut like storing the DeLorean (except that one will never rust) I have a car cover for it but I am scared to use it. My garage is not heated or insulated. My question is, if I use that cover when I'm not playing with her, is that going to trap moisture underneath and aid in rusting? Or am I being outrageously paranoid?
    Nothing compares to the beauty of the world as seen through the windshield of my Z

Currently own:

HLS30279316: 1976 Datsun 280z Kharma
    2001 Dodge Neon: Nitro

Member ID
    CZCC-15054

It depends on the car cover i think. They have some that have small porrous holes and "breathe" to leat the moisture out.

Member ID
    CZCC-9729

Hi Darb
    I live in a place where the temp drops to -20c occasionally every winter with periods of +5c in between, average -10. Just saying temp varies and I have a shed with a wooden floor. I use a douvett cover split down the sides - covers her perfectly - no trouble yet - no moisture problems.

Good Luck
    Cali 4/77
    NA 9/72
    FA 90 300TT
    C220 Mercedes 96 (DD)

Member ID
    CZCC-5387

I just use regular high quality(?) car covers (LeBra brand?) and store my cars in an unheated barn with a concrete floor...in amongst 20+ cars, and probably 15 boats... Typical Ottawa temperatures vary from +5C to -15C. I haven't had any moisture problems either(touch wood).

Gordon Garrard

Member ID
    CZCC-14525

The type of cover I chose does have the pores and breathes pretty well so I think I'll be okay. I expected to get a response along the lines of "You're a nut. It's just a car." That's what my friends told me anyway.
    Nothing compares to the beauty of the world as seen through the windshield of my Z

Currently own:

Member ID
    CZCC-13827

Darbji280z are you going to put the car on jack stands?

I just put new tires on me car this year after 25 years and was wondering if I should put it on jack stands.
    Michael 11/75 - 76-280 - HLS30-281,114
    Web site -Click Here and ORIGINAL OWNERS OF THE 280Z (1975-1976 -1977 - 1978 - ONLY) REGISTRATION[

Member ID
    CZCC-14525

Quote Originally Posted by mgood View Post
    Darbji280z are you going to put the car on jack stands?

I just put new tires on me car this year after 25 years and was wondering if I should put it on jack stands.
    I always do. Unless I have bad tires, then I don't care. The Delorean was left down last year with pretty nasty tires and they held up okay. But with the Z, I'd rather take the precaution.

Currently own:

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Darbji:
    Take the normal Mid-West winter storage precautions...anti-freeze clean and viable(i.e. not over a couple of years old), oil fresh or changed, gas filled and at least one bottle of Heet (or similar) and be sure to RUN the car for a bit after you've put the Heet in so that it gets through the fuel lines and not just in the tank.

If you do put it up on jackstands, lift it just enough to relieve the pressure on the tires but not such that they're off the ground...no need to over extend the struts for an extended period. Check your tire pressure, it will go down as the temp goes down so keep that in mind.

Hopefully you've had the car washed and underbody cleaned of any gunk/dirt/mud. Take a minute to see if you should touch up any undercoating. Some shops in the Mid-West used to offer an under body oil spray if I recall, that at least slows down the rust monster.

Washing the car ensures that you're not rubbing the dirt in with the car cover for the whole winter, but DO make sure she's dry....even if it means you need to take her out for a drive on a non-wet day.

There'll be others chiming in, but these are what I used to do when in Michigan.

By the way, the reason your friends say "You're a nut. It's just a car." is because what they drive is --JUST-- a car....you're driving a Z.

E
    Last edited by EScanlon; 11-09-2007 at 02:53 PM.

Car Guy
    Member ID
    CZCC-12941

Wink

And also a trickle charger for the battery as well.

Member ID
    CZCC-14525

She has fresh oil and antifreeze. Tank is full with gas and Stabil (I ran it to pull the treated gas through the lines) I even bought brand new jackstands. That battery is coming out entirely and probably never going back in. That battery is on it's way out anyway. The only thing she needs is to be gone over with some detailer to get the little bits of stuff off the paint from being on the road today. .

And you're right, EScanlon, my friends don't understand because they don't love their cars. Some one told me yesterday that I am an objectofile, insinuating that I am sexually attracted to objects. I said "no, I'm an automobilofile. There's a difference"

Currently own:

Member ID
    CZCC-9729

I do the other stuff as well, I was just speaking to the car cover issue.
    In addition with the occasional extreme cold periods, I take the battery out and store it in the basement on a piece of wood.
    Cali 4/77
    NA 9/72
    FA 90 300TT
    C220 Mercedes 96 (DD)

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

Changing the oil and filter is important because you want to do away with any moisture and contaminants in the block and do warm up the engine completely. If in a damp environment or if he car is stored until spring . Pull the plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders . About a Tsp. full in each hole then with the plugs still out, turn the engine over a few revolutions to spread the oil over the cylinder walls . Install the plugs and that will do it . Every time these engines are shut down there are always 2 valves that are left open. This will allow out side air to enter the cylinders , the oil will protect them from rust. A empty fuel tank or if nearly so, will sweat and condense moisture inside and this will rust the tank. Use a stabilizer and fill the tank to prevent that. I remove my battery and store in on my work bench and charge it about once a month . This saves the battery and it will last much longer. You can leave it in the car but disconnect the positive cable if this is more convenient, but charging never less is needed. Covering the car will help protect the finish, I don't recommend using plastic , because it cannot breathe and will promote rusting. Another good thing is to spray the vinyl interior with Lysol disinfectant this will greatly prevent mildew I used this on my boat with great success. Gary
    I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dieing. CZC 1887 IZCC 12602 Member of NorthWest Z Car Club

Member ID
    CZCC-11908

Quote Originally Posted by beandip View Post
    Another good thing is to spray the vinyl interior with Lysol disinfectant this will greatly prevent mildew I used this on my boat with great success. Gary
    In addition to this, I would recommend using a product called "Damp Rid" or something similar. This product is nothing more than small round pellets that sit in a special container (provided) and absorbs moisture out of the air. You would want to check it every month or so to see if it needs draining/refreshing. Here in the moldy south, I have found it to be very helpful in preventing (or at least slowing) mold in my closets (and on my Dr. Martins).
    David

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Darbji:
    The person calling you an objectofile probably watched "Boston Legal" last Monday (11/5) where that was one of the story lines. With that being the case, remind him that one of the other story lines was about a woman who killed a guy for revenge....and got away with it ....so whom was he calling an objectofile?

E

Member ID
    CZCC-3035

If I didn't completely winterize the car, but just started it about once a month would that suffice?

(Of course I would let the engine get completely hot before I shut it down.)

I only ask because I expect that I will need to move the car a couple of times this winter to make room for other things.
    '71 240Z, Because any fool can drive fast in a straight line.

Member ID
    CZCC-13312

I have the perfect solution....just send your car to me and I'll drive it at least once a week. In Knoxville TN we usually stay around 30-38 degrees in the dead of winter, so it's always Z season here.........You guys need to move..........

1970 240Z HLS30 00797 White / Blue

HLS30165540
    Member ID
    CZCC-1052

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Moore View Post
    If I didn't completely winterize the car, but just started it about once a month would that suffice?

(Of course I would let the engine get completely hot before I shut it down.)

I only ask because I expect that I will need to move the car a couple of times this winter to make room for other things.
    I've heard this is not a good idea. If the car isn't run at full operating temperature at highway speeds for atleast 30 minutes, condensation in the fuel system, exhaust system, cooling system and oil system soes not fully burn off and will result in moisture contamination, corrosion and system failures.
    The 1973 240Z 165540 Slightly modified. L28, 5sp, cam, headers, MSD 6AL, power windows, power door locks, leather seats, custom this and custom that.

Member ID
    CZCC-14525

Yeah, that was another debate we had in the DeLorean club. Is it better to start the car up twice a month to, in other words, exercise the engine? Or is it best to leave it there all winter without starting it?

Currently own:

Bitten by the Z bug hard bigoak's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-8037
    Bigoak

'71 240Z
    '77 280Z
    '87 300ZX

Car Guy
    Member ID
    CZCC-12941

Is it better to start the car up twice a month to, in other words, exercise the engine? Or is it best to leave it there all winter without starting it?
    I personally say it would be wiser to leave it with out starting it rather than starting it for 10 minutes, then shut it off. Unless you plan on fully warming up by driving it a while to circulate and warm up all the fluids like the others have said to burn off the moisture, it would be better to just let it sit.

Member ID
    CZCC-5894

I had to stop using the car cover due to those pesky mice. Or is that meeses? Lots of woodlands behind the house so it comes with the territory in winter. I have to plug the fender drain tubes, muffler and air cleaner also. They enjoyed the darkness and warmth the cover provided and caused a lot of damage. Never had that problem until the neighbors with the 4 cats moved. I should give they new neighbors a cat as a housewarming gift when they move in
    Jim M
    1977 280Z
    1996 300ZX(sold)

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

One other thing. You MUST visit and chat occasionaly, even with the battery out, She WILL remember.

Bonzi Lon
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

Member ID
    CZCC-14525

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzi Lon View Post
    One other thing. You MUST visit and chat occasionaly, even with the battery out, She WILL remember.

Bonzi Lon
    Oh of course! Not a day will go by.

Quote Originally Posted by EScanlon
    Darbji:
    The person calling you an objectofile probably watched "Boston Legal" last Monday (11/5) where that was one of the story lines.
    That's exactly what he said he watched!!! He explained it in great detail to me! Lol

Currently own:

Member ID
    CZCC-13223

Put a few dryer sheets in the car, mice can't stand them. I usually put one on each floorboard, one under the hood, and one in the tailpipe. No mice issues anymore, and mine are stored in the barn.

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

Dryer sheets ! EXCELLENT IDEA. I never have stored my cars on stands I have been told not to let the suspension just hang for that long a period that it puts a strain on the components. I just put some 1/2'' or 3/4'' plywood squares under the tires. Thicker is better. If you do use stands put them near the wheels on the suspension so the load is more like the tires were on the ground. My garage never goes lower than the 40s F. So freezing for me is not an Issue. However it rains for 6+ months over the winter. Gary
    I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dieing. CZC 1887 IZCC 12602 Member of NorthWest Z Car Club

Member ID
    CZCC-2520

One thing all these blokes have failed to mention, ..............

The new avatar is great girl, you're beautiful!!!!!

Rick.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER.
    SINCE IT'S IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER.

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

Spring Starting Insurance. Slip a fifty in her glovie and tell her it is all her's when the barn doors open in the spring.

Bonzi Lon

And yes, a very nice avitar.
    Last edited by Bonzi Lon; 11-11-2007 at 05:34 AM.
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

Member ID
    CZCC-13159

I have stored my 71 for 6-8 months every year for the last 20+ years and I do most of the storage things previously mentioned. I have also built 4 wood blocks that go under the suspension right next to each of the wheels. The height of the blocks is about a 1/4" less than the suspension so they will easily slide in place once the car is parked. The purpose of the blocks it to support the suspension if a tire should go flat during storage. This keeps the suspension level and prevents the tire bead from breaking loose which makes reinflation easier.
    71 240Z HLS30 021986 (2/71 build) with 63,XXX miles

Member ID
    CZCC-14525

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzi Lon View Post
    Spring Starting Insurance. Slip a fifty in her glovie and tell her it is all her's when the barn doors open in the spring.

Bonzi Lon

And yes, a very nice avitar.
    That's a great idea! My car LOVES money!!!! And she seems pretty bummed about going to sleep.

( thanks Rick)
    Last edited by Darbji280z; 11-11-2007 at 08:27 PM.

Currently own:

Member ID
    CZCC-10133

Quote Originally Posted by Stickerman View Post
    Put a few dryer sheets in the car, mice can't stand them. I usually put one on each floorboard, one under the hood, and one in the tailpipe. No mice issues anymore, and mine are stored in the barn.
    Holy crap! That's a killer idea - thanks for the tip!
    '72 240Z HLS30-73667 (sold)
    '66 Jaguar XKE FHC, numbers matching
    '67 Honda CL77 305 Scrambler, 8,000 original miles

Thread Information