Thread: Best car cover for an early Z?

Member ID
    CZCC-13117

Default Best car cover for an early Z?

When my 240Z comes home from the paint booth, I'm going to want to put a cover on her. Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent car cover?

I searched the archives, but couldn't find anything. Thanks, guys....

1971 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-30806
    Asheville, North Carolina
    IZCC #14802

Member ID
    CZCC-7128

Depending on where the car is parked you could choose from a lightweight cheapie to a full-blown $$$ one. Are you protecting it from weather outside or keeping dust off of it in a garage?

Member ID
    CZCC-15469

I sprang for the Gold Technalon Cover from MSA. With the cable lock, bag, and shipping it was a little over $200. I've been very pleased with it; when I get the chance to use it. I live in a virtual wind tunnel, which blows like crazy at night, so it hasn't seen a whole lot of use.

I saw one at Costco the other day, it was a generic one for about $30. Seeing what little use I've gotten out of mine recently, maybe I should have bought one of those.

Anyway, I've been happy with the MSA one, although they DON'T tell you that there's only one cutout for the Driver's rear view mirror. Nothing on the passenger side. That pissed me off quite a bit when I first got it. Luckily I have the turbo mirrors (which I hate) that fold up.

You can find it here:
    http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/T/50-1008
    Last edited by JonnyRock; 01-31-2008 at 02:56 PM.
    ***PREVIOUSLY OWNED***
    1970 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-01704
    71,000 Original Miles

- Jon

Member ID
    CZCC-13117

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be parking her in the garage, so I won't need anything that's too weatherproof.

I do need something that's kidproof....don't want my daughter walking past the car and rubbing her bike handlebars down the side of my new paint job....

1971 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-30806
    IZCC #14802

Member ID
    CZCC-10354

I have a custom Hugger cover on my 260 http://www.huggercovers.com/

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I too have a Technalon from MSA, nicely tailored, fits much better than any generic cover could. While the website doesn't mention the single mirror pocket, I seem to recall that the print catalog did. It also mentioned that there was no hole pre-cut for the antenna. As long as your antenna will retract (either power or manually) you'll be fine.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-15320

I also bought the gold Tech one from MSA for my 240,the side mirrow wasn't a big deal since I only have one and my antena actually retracts. It was so good I bought one for my 280ZXT it had both mirrow cut outs and antena hole. They are a little expensive but are well worth it. A small price compared to the price you probably spent on your paint job.

Member ID
    CZCC-15469

Worried about door dings, eh? Well why didn't you say so!

Maybe it's time to invest in the "DoorPal"!!! Even if your daughter comes through the garage swinging a shovel, you won't have to bat an eye.

No seriously, check out this guys door-ding prevention invention. Funny stuff. It's a good idea, but poorly executed in my opinion.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/03/v...s-and-shovels/
    http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/06/v...shovel-part-2/
    ***PREVIOUSLY OWNED***
    1970 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-01704
    71,000 Original Miles

- Jon

Member ID
    CZCC-5338

I doubt a car cover would protect from a handle bar.....
    HLS30-217804 6/75 "The Unnatural One"

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Member ID
    CZCC-14161

coverking was the best one i have ever had

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

I know that you are concerned about the new paint. I wouldn't cover the car for a week , just to be safe . Let the paint cure a little. Kids and handle bars, will be difficult to shield the car from that. I have my Z in the garage covered with a inexpensive cover . I never put the cover on the car unless it is absolutely clean , and fold the cover so the inside never contacts the out side surface of the cover. I waited for about 3 weeks before I covered my Z after paint. I think is was longer but at least 3. I think I paid about $40.00 for my cover. I don't have small children around my Z though. I have heard of guys sewing the insulation foam used for pipes on the inside of the cover along the exposed side of the car. The foam tube for a 3/4'' pipe is about 2 1/2'' thick . They are soft and shouldn't damage the paint plus they don't cost vary much. Sewn in place with fishing line should be easy. Gary
    I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dieing. CZC 1887 IZCC 12602 Member of NorthWest Z Car Club

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

I have seen somewhere there is a large bag you drive the car into, zip it up and fill it with air like a giagantic balloon. They even pushed a bicycle into it and it just bounced off without hitting the vehicle.

Bonzi Lon
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

Member ID
    CZCC-7009
    Steve

HLS30-81167 restored, top to bottom.
    2001 M roadster Gehen sie Schneller!
    1987 SpecE30 Trackster...welcome home!
    Making up for owning a minivan...
    http://picasaweb.google.com/srcartermd

Member ID
    CZCC-13117

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post

Maybe I should put my daughter (and her bike) in there.......

1971 Datsun 240Z
    HLS30-30806
    IZCC #14802

Member ID
    CZCC-2509

lol, now your talking. And room left over for the wife (at certain times of the month), the neighbor that constantly drives you nuts, and... well the possibilities are endless. And no musty smell when you let them out!
    1972 240Z Resto almost finished
    1983 280ZX This winter's project

Car Guy
    Member ID
    CZCC-12941

California Car Cover makes a good cover.

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

That is the baggie I saw. May be a bit spendy, but what would a fender or door repair cost? It was just a thought.

Bonzi Lon
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

Member ID
    CZCC-16218

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzi Lon View Post
    I have seen somewhere there is a large bag you drive the car into, zip it up and fill it with air like a giagantic balloon. They even pushed a bicycle into it and it just bounced off without hitting the vehicle.

Bonzi Lon
    Jon, I am the inventor of the DoorPal. In the the quest to constantly improve, my product I would love to know what I executed poorly in your opinion. Besides, I owned a 1972 orange 240Z and still feel a bond with the Z-club ;-). For the record I should have never sold my Z. It was the most fun I have ever had driving a car.

-DoorPal Guy

Member ID
    CZCC-3312

Quote Originally Posted by alexmadison View Post
    I found some decent ones from empire. This cover was a replacement cover for a custom cover that cost three times as much and started leaking water and collecting dust under the cover in less than a year. My Empire cover is 4 months old, has survived numerous strong thunderstorms and seering Texas sun, and so far is exceeding my expectations. I have 3 cars under cover, soon the other two will be covered by Empire.
    Cmon, that's not even a Z in your picture.

Someone please BAN this spammer
    Last edited by Arne; 10-08-2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Removed links to spammer
    -Andrew

03/72 240Z HLS30-70xxx - R.I.P. 2011/01/04

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Yeah, I did it. You want a laugh, google his username and "empire covers" and see how many forums he has posted that same spiel on...
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-18571

Way to go Arne. A timely thread for me nonetheless as I had been looking at the covers. While the Technalon looks the part for outdoor ( my 74 hasnt spent too many nights outdoors in its whole life - rain, heck it never saw any rain ) do you also prefer it for indoor garage storage etc. The reason I ask is that I had one of those bubbles once for a motorcycle and it was a pain - got rid of it immediately. And a few of the motorcycle covers I have are pretty bulky too - ie for storing the Technalon in the car if you take it uptown and it OMG "rains" ! Thanks.

Member ID
    CZCC-18571

Went over and looked at the HuggerCovers above. Seem nice made but even more than the Technalon! Technalon looks better already!

Member ID
    CZCC-3312

I had the Technalon cover from MSA 4-5 years ago, and used it when I parked under my apartment building. Some rain still splashed onto the car, and plenty of dust and pollen settled on it, so the cover was a must. I seem to remember it always doing its job (that is, before some scumbag cut through the worthless plastic coated steel cable and stole it).

Technalon is good stuff, and I would buy another one if I felt I had the need (have a real garage now, and don't really drive it all that often).
    -Andrew

03/72 240Z HLS30-70xxx - R.I.P. 2011/01/04

Member ID
    CZCC-9360

I bought a Covercraft Evolution (Technalon) cover for my car which was stored outside under a carport that took sun and rain on one side for a couple years and it's still going strong. It does tend to leak some dust through over time but only if you let it accumulate to excess. If you keep it clean (rinse it off in place) and shake it out from time to time this should not be a problem, and it sheds water very nicely. I think I paid $170 for it online with a bag and cable. It came with 2 mirror pockets sans a hole for the antenna. I beleive it even came with a 4 year warranty.
    Last edited by =Enigma=; 10-08-2009 at 08:08 PM.
    =Enigma=
    CZCC#9360
    4/73 - HLS30-156236

My name is Adam and I'm a Zeeoholic!

Member ID
    CZCC-16545

Beandip is correct but I would go even further. Check with your painter to see how long you should let that paint cure before covering it, washing it, polishing etc... I waited 3 weeks.

I actually use a 2 Porsche 911 covers. One is soft and more of a dust cover, the other is weatherproof. I put the weatherproof one over the softer one.
    Rob
    2000 BMW R1100 RT-SE (for sale)
    1999 Toyota 4Runner Supercharged
    1975 Porsche 914 stroker motor autoX car
    1973 Datsun 240Z Restoration project. New paint in original white. E31 head on 2.4 block. Nissan Motorsports header. R200 with Nissan motorsports LSD.

Member ID
    CZCC-834

Default Best car cover

You could always go with the brand new BRE car cover which is a perfect and a very fair price $160 I think and has the cool BRE racing logo as well. I am buying them for all the cutomer cars in the shop and highly recommend them to friends. I do not get any kick backs for endorsing the Covers but we did bug the hell out of Peter to see about bring back a similar cover that they sold many years ago.
    Just my 2Cents
    Les
    Les Cannaday
    Classic Datsun Mtrspts
    345 Olive Ave
    Vista, CA 92083
    (760) 940-6365

Member ID
    CZCC-9354

Default BRE 240-Z car cover

I don't own one of the BRE car covers, but I think they're pretty cool...I like the historical connection and the novelty.

http://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc...ode=car_covers

Gary S.

Well, as soon as I posted this I see Les beat me by several minutes. Oh well, there's the link anyway.
    Last edited by 7T1240; 10-08-2009 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Seemingly redundant post explanation

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

I have three Z car covers, the flannel and technalon from MSA and the one from BRE. In fact, that is one of my cars under the BRE cover on their site, so I guess I can claim ser #00001 . The BRE cover seems to be more water repellent than the technalon, and is much lighter, so I prefer it for exterior use. The BRE cover doesn't have a separate pocket for the exterior mirror, but I don't find that to be a problem. The flannel is nice and soft, but is for indoor only use.

-Mike
    Last edited by Mike B; 10-08-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-5536

Quote Originally Posted by =Enigma= View Post
    I bought a Covercraft Evolution (Technalon) cover for my car which was stored outside under a carport that took sun and rain on one side for a couple years and it's still going strong. It does tend to leak some dust through over time but only if you let it accumulate to excess. If you keep it clean (rinse it off in place) and shake it out from time to time this should not be a problem, and it sheds water very nicely. I think I paid $170 for it online with a bag and cable. It came with 2 mirror pockets sans a hole for the antenna. I beleive it even came with a 4 year warranty.
    I have a Covercraft NOAH (Kimberly Clark fabric) four layers with inside fleece custom fit for a 72 one side mirror pocket. It fits very sharp. It is the improved technology from the Evolution 3 I bought for my Corvette ten years ago. I paid $152.00 including shipping two months ago.
    richard1

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Quote Originally Posted by richard1 View Post
    I have a Covercraft NOAH (Kimberly Clark fabric) four layers with inside fleece custom fit for a 72 one side mirror pocket. It fits very sharp.
    Hi richard1:
    Can you post a picture of the NOAH on your Z? Is it as much a "custom" fit as the original BRE Covers?
    thanks,
    Carl B.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BRECarCover72.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	32112  

Member ID
    CZCC-5536

Default It is a correct fit in every way.........

deeper to cover the lower body lines and tight fit on the fender edges, hood flowing lines, slanted back window and covering tightly the front and rear valence panels.

The fabric is a lot thicker from what I see from your pictures and just available in light Grey color.

It has outstanding water repellent properties and UV protection when I drive my car to the office from time to time. Otherwise, always garaged with the cover on.

I can send you pictures if you want to post them

Furthermore.....fit is tight with no problem in windy condition.
    richard1

Member ID
    CZCC-18571

Thanks for the BRE links guys. I like the new BRE one , or at least I did until I saw the pics of Carls older one whcuh is even better. But I am on to order one of them here next week or so.

Member ID
    CZCC-18571

Got the BRE one - thanks again for that info or I would likely not have found that! Now if I get some engine work going and some new wheels and I will feel faster already !

Thread Information