Thread: Fiberglass bonnets being made

Member ID
    CZCC-18343

Default Fiberglass bonnets being made

Hey all, as discussed I'm looking to get a buy organised for some fiberglass bonnets rather than getting them from www.restored.jp. We need a minimum of 6 bonnets to avoid the $1500 setup cost. They can also do carbon etc if you wish but I'd need to get costing on that at a later stage.

Costing is approx $560 per hinged bonnet.

Interstate shipping may be possible as the website says they ship Aus wide so I'm sure they can sort that out. I can give them your details and pass on the information for costing but I'm not interested in organising freight myself sorry as I'm a busy man

http://www.motorsportfibreglass.com.au/products.php

So..who's in? I will not be going ahead with this buy untill we have a minimum of 6 bonnets and deposits are paid

I reckon they could do gaurds too! Might speak to them about that also.

List -

Adz - 2 Bonnets

Member ID
    CZCC-11978

ill take a carbon bonnet if they can do it, and a set of front guards, no doubt about it im there 100% can you find out if they can do carbon guards.

Shannons 2014 Skyline Nationals :https://tinyurl.com/mcrtqux (ClassicZcars Thread)

Member ID
    CZCC-18343

I'm sure they can do carbon gaurds, only problem is we'll need a set to lend them for the moulds to be made. I had three sets, all have rust in them.

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

I'm up for a set of carbon guards and and bonnet pending prices.

If the carbon is too expensive for me I might just be after the guards as mine are well stuffed.

I would need to get the carbon guards made GT-R style though and slightly different at the end due to the chassis rails I have in the vert. If they couldn't do the GT-R higher wheel arch cut out for the flared guards they would be useless to me. . . unless carbon can be cut cleanly and easily? has anyone cut any carbon fiber before?

Member ID
    CZCC-18294

where are u guys and how long will it take.... i could take the ones off mine that are ok-ish id i knew i wouldnt get assed over and it wouldnt take too long.....

and glass guards would be fie by me....

anyone thinkig doors and boot lids too?

and yeah u can cut fibreglass quite easily with a fine saw or cutting wheel, dremmil, die grinder... etc.... then just light file/sand to smoothen and paint or seal
    Last edited by soopakarr; 01-19-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

Quote Originally Posted by soopakarr View Post
    and yeah u can cut fibreglass quite easily with a fine saw or cutting wheel, dremmil, die grinder... etc.... then just light file/sand to smoothen and paint or seal
    I know Fibreglass can be cut easily, I've had plenty of the stuff on my arms itching away. I'm interested in weather carbon fiber can be cut easily or will it splinter.

Member ID
    CZCC-18294

ah ok..

Member ID
    CZCC-18343

I'm in Melbourne mate.

Member ID
    CZCC-11978

actually, i have 2 guards that would be great for moulds, i can by a brand new one i think passanger side, but i dont have the $400 the guy wants, how long do you think they would need the guards, coz i was hoping to have the car there off on the road in april

Ps im in melbourne too, narre warren north to be precise

Shannons 2014 Skyline Nationals :https://tinyurl.com/mcrtqux (ClassicZcars Thread)

Member ID
    CZCC-9844

To answer an earlier Question

I have cut heaps of carbon before, it cuts easily when using a fine bit in a jigsaw on a really high cutting speed with low pressure (slow arm moving speed). The stuff is super itchy but it can be done easily.

Member ID
    CZCC-9844

Maybe we should get this guy some moulds of front splitter, spoilers, grills as Phil is absolutley hopeless. I have been waiting since last march for my stuff and I ring him monthly to no success, I am out of straws. If Kent or someone has some stuff we can make moulds off it should be a serious consideration as I believe this guy would take our orders and custom much much seriously than PHil does.

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

i am afraid i am still waiting for my parts from phil too i sent my replacements off to brian in the states (my originals were destroyed in the moulding process).

i do have a set of flares and a bobtail.. but not a grill or front lip

but i agree.. if we can get a set off phil.. maybe have this lot create a mould (run the group buy from them for numbers)..
    07/74 Datsun 240K GL Hardtop KHGC110 - #5497 (longest 240k project in history?)
    1970 Datsun 240Z HS30 #212

www.project240k.com - project details on all my cars

Member ID
    CZCC-11978

dear god phil is hard to work with! called him again today, still no prices, maybe i should just ask how much for the moulds! may just do that next time

Member ID
    CZCC-9844

I think it would be worthwhile asking if we can buy the moulds!

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

That's the best idea yet.

Put me down for carbon guards, bonnet and front lip. I don't think I'll get the bobtail or grill.

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

now i think of it, i do have a front lip somewhere.. so the only mould we need to sort out would be the grill..

it would probably be best to get a grill from phill and go from that.. Phill had to make the metal brackets, and find the right type of grill mesh that matched the example i brought back from japan. I don't have a reference we can go from as i didn't get my original back.. and the copy i bought went to the states, and now it isn't with someone we can contact

Member ID
    CZCC-9844

How hard would it be though to get some mesh, even if it isnt exact if its close I would still be really happy.

Sorry for the Hijak adz, but would it be at all possible to mention doing other items to this guy??

Kent, get onto that front splitter!!!!

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

i will look for it next weekend, i have a very good idea where it might be.

i presume alfa's pricing for these would be similar to the Z ones (which are $55ea for flares, $160 for rear spoiler and around $110 for the front spoiler for Z stuff!)
    Last edited by khughes; 01-25-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-18472

i am keen to get a full set too, as I mentioned in the other thread, i have a few bits and pieces lying around, eg front guards etc, if i can help in any way, let me know...

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

Just spoke to the RTA's technical line, i asked if there was any drama with using fibreglass replacement panels on a 72 (my Z) or 74 (the 240K) car. they said that this was perfectly fine as the car was before the frontal impact ADR (not sure of the ADR number though)

I verifyed by asking if front guards and bonnets would be okay and he confirmed it.

great news!

Member ID
    CZCC-11978

i like very much!!! ^^

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

yeah me too.. time to start saving

Member ID
    CZCC-12467

If this takes off, what's needed to paint these ?

will / would they be primed ready to paint, or is there some thing needed before hand, before they can be primed, painted ?,

I've haven't worked with fiber glass except for some rust patching.

Nigel

Member ID
    CZCC-9844

they will be in gel coat.

This can sometimes just be polished and brought up similar to paint, usually not!!!

Normally you just high fill primer the items, rub and paint.

Member ID
    CZCC-18343

Hey all, looks like this thead has been busy. I'm at work at the moment and it's been a bit flat out so I'll sit down at home this weekend and work out what I need to talk to them about.

I'll ask about -

Carbon parts and cost
    Gaurds and cost
    Flares and other bits

If I borrow any parts to get them moulded I can assure you I'll get them done ASAP so you're not mucked around I can't vouch for the guys who do the work but they seem pretty on the ball so I'll get back to you all shortly.

As for the mould and body kit parts, we'll need either the moulds - yes, or the parts to make new moulds.

Member ID
    CZCC-9844

I talked to Fraser from alfa today. I am sending a heap of photos of the various k parts and he is going to see if he has anything close that can perhaps be modified to suite the K.

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

see if they can do a carbon fibre layer over a FG bonnet (and can they clearcoat it?).

i don't think there is any point getting them to mod existing moulds, if it isn't the proper K stuff then there is no point having a reliable source.

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

I spoke with the engineer who's doing my car today and he mentioned a couple of things i would have to address before he would pass a carbon bonnet and guards on the vert. Bare in mind this is for NSW only.

The bonnet would have to have reinforcing around the mounting points and would have to have two split pins along the front, the standard clip wouldn't suffice. The split pins would also have to be recessed below the line of the bonnet as well. With the guards he saw no problem.

This only applies to cars pre 1988 after that different rules apply which I didn't bother asking about.

Adz's can you ask them about making some extra recessed mounting points along the front of the bonnet.

Noodle, it's easy to paint fibreglass you just need to key up the surface and away you go, no etch priming. What's difficult with fibreglass is that to get the panels looking straight it takes a lot more effort than steel and over time they will warp and distort leaving you with a wavy, rippled reflection in them.

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

does that mean that FG is ok for a bonnet without the pins? (as the RTA said) and this extra re-inforcing etc. only applies to CF

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

I think it was the same for both. Did the RTA say that the bonnet or guards would need to be engineer passed for rego?

If they were fine for rego they would most likely fall into the owner certified section of regulations, maybe the engineer is being picky with me due to the nature of the modifications on the vert.

We need to investigate further i suppose. I'll call up QLD transport authority tomorrow to see what the regs are up here.

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

nope, he said that they were absolutely fine to go on the car as it wasn't subject to the frontal impact ADR.

make sure you talk to their technical section.

i would ask "i have a 197x Datsun, can i use a fibreglass replacement panel on the car instead of a metal one?" and then confirm that a fibreglass bonnet and fibreglass front fenders are ok.. that is how i asked, but the guy was absolutely sure that they were fine

Member ID
    CZCC-18343

s13drifter - no worries, let me know what happens.

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

QLD transport require ADR compliance on the bonnet and guards, regardless of weather or not they are carbon or glass.

If they did not have the stamp you would need to get a mechanical lab at a uni to test them.

The RTA frontal impact regulations came into play in 1995 so I'm not sure what my engineer is talking about with the 1988 date, I guess he's just being picky with my car or he simply doesn't know. All you need to worry about in NSW are sharp edges on them so any pedestrians you choose to run over won't get cut.

Member ID
    CZCC-12467

Quote Originally Posted by 240kconvertible View Post
    All you need to worry about in NSW are sharp edges on them so any pedestrians you choose to run over won't get cut.
    Thank you, I needed a good laugh today..

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

Quote Originally Posted by Noddle View Post
    Thank you, I needed a good laugh today..

This week only, bonus double points for any granmother pushing a pram run over points will be tripled if it's twins in the pram

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

Quote Originally Posted by 240kconvertible View Post
    The RTA frontal impact regulations came into play in 1995 so I'm not sure what my engineer is talking about with the 1988 date, I guess he's just being picky with my car or he simply doesn't know.
    i wonder if he does know.. in an article he published (and is on his site) http://www.consulmotive.com.au/Websi...ifications.pdf, he states that Fibreglass replacement panels are only allowed on pre 71.. not only does that conflict with the RTA.. it also conflicts with another article he wrote on carbon fibre replacement bonnets (http://www.consulmotive.com.au/Websi...ghten%20Up.pdf), which he says is ok on pre 95 cars.

i also take it from that last article that pre 79 (with side beams) you could replace your doors with CF/FG skins etc. Not that i would.. i am still looking at putting them in on mine (can never be too safe)

i also wonder where you can get ADR8 compliant Lexan
    Last edited by khughes; 01-30-2009 at 10:00 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

I'd say your right and that his not knowing what he's on about is the most likely cause for the misinformation. As long as he passes the convertible I'll be happy.

Any news on the new supplier?

Member ID
    CZCC-9844

New supplier is all go its just getting him the parts that needs to be organised. He is still waiting on confirmation if the bonnets are still happeing, thats not my department.

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

it seems very catch 22.. we have all parts except the grill, and if we remove our order from phill, then there is even less chance that he will even bother doing the grills (which is the important bit)..

what is the general concensus of how long we wait? though after this, i vote to let alfa take a copy anyway.. we just need 1 grill!!!

Member ID
    CZCC-18343

If Phil is making the parts and come through with the quantity in a reasonable time then we may as well just get them from him, if not then take the first set to Alfa. I think we just get the bonnets and guards done at Alfa though full stop though, that's still my intention anyhow.

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

the problem i think is future availability.. phil may came through this time.. but what about next time?

Member ID
    CZCC-18343

Oh I agree 100% we HAVE to at least let Alfa take moulds

Member ID
    CZCC-7277

I would be very interested to understand the pricing prior to placing orders with Phil. Maybe we can just order the Grills from Phil. There seems to be the numbers. If someone has one set of everything else for mould, then prices may be better.

I know I would prefer CF flares. Not so keen on a CF bonnet. They are very strong and sharp. The very things you don't want in a head on collision. Especially if you wish to keep your head.

Having said all that, can you emagine a Carbon Grill ;-)
    Bruce
    1973 240K GL - KHGC110001866 (The Good) (Yellow)
    1973 240K GL - KHGC110001731 (The Bad ) (Blue)
    1973 240K GL - KHGC110001407 (The Ugly ) (Green)
    1982-85 x3 R30 Skyline Hatches (The Bits Store)
    1993 BNR32 GTR - Every January the 29th
    2006 Turbo Territory Ghia - The Daily Driver

Member ID
    CZCC-18294

i'd love bonnet guards and grill... do we have guess prices yet?

Member ID
    CZCC-18343

Not much happening here sorry. I'm sure there will be at a later stage though as I need them for my own cars

Member ID
    CZCC-11461

I am a bit confused at what the probelm is with the grille? what do we mean we only need one grille? what type?

I have a c111 plastic skyline grille in my car, but I wouldn't mind being able to replace it at some point.

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

Hi matt,

we are talking about a GT-R replica grill, i originally had a copy sent over from japan, but it got destroyed in the moulding process with phil. The only copy i got was later sent off to the US (thining i could easily get more).

Member ID
    CZCC-9844

Bonnets still happening any progress???

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

Hi Guys,

i am guessing there hasn't been much progress on this?

I met a guy today (picking up an R33 GTST rear end for my Z), who makes fibreglass/carbon/carbon fibre parts as a side business. He had some awesome carbon parts

I asked him if he would be keen to do a batch of 240K ones, and he sounded quite keen. I said i would chase up some numbers to make sure it was worthwhile for him (i said there was probably 5-6 ppl interested).

I also have a decent enough bonnet to use as a moulding base.

He should be able to do them in either fibreglass, fibreglass with a carbon top layer, full carbon or if you were really keen, carbon kevlar.. He can also do with or without the inside braces, nuts, catch etc.

PM me if you would really be willing to go ahead and buy one if i can organise it. I am guessing it will take 2 months or so. I don't want to waste this guys time if there aren't enough of .

Kent

Member ID
    CZCC-9844

YOu have PM.

Get on board guys lets make this one happen not just talk.??

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

awesome, that is 2 bonnets so far. 3 or 4 more needed..

guys, just to make things clear, i am not planning to be a middle man in the deal or anything like that. once we have numbers and he then agree's on pricing etc. i will take over my bonnet for him to make a mould from, and then payments and arrangements can be made directly.

Kent

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

3 down, 3 more to get

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

need 2+ more:

so far i have

Myself - fibreglass/carbon
    S13drifter - fibreglass/carbon
    noodle - fibreglass or fibreglass/carbon
    mastadd240k - fibreglass or fibreglass/carbon
    Last edited by khughes; 04-20-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-11978

Quote Originally Posted by khughes View Post
    need 2+ more:

so far i have

Myself - fibreglass/carbon
    S13drifter - fibreglass/carbon
    noodle - fibreglass or fibreglass/carbon
    mastadd240k - ?
    fiberglass/carbon, i guess it depends on price,

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

anyone else? need 1, hopefully 2 more.

would like to get back to him before we miss the opportunity.

Kent

Member ID
    CZCC-9844

I will take 2 if I have to but prefere to get some others on board, what about Kid K send him a PM, lets make it happen!!!

Member ID
    CZCC-9844

any movement??

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

unfortunately not yet,

we are still at 4 (5 if you take 2), but i did email him "remind" him that we are all ready and willing as soon as he has the time. From what i gathered, he needed to clear out his workshop first (i new it was going to take time). I sent him through pictures of my bonnet to make sure it was suitable (and to give him an idea of the size) and he seemed fine with it.

he hasn't worked in fibreglass in a commercial sense for while, so he wouldn't even guess at a ball park figure for me.

I will keep reminding him, but i don't want be a pain

Kent

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

I'm in depending on price for fibreglass/carbon.

Can this guy make guards as well?

Member ID
    CZCC-10432

My apologies... I just noticed this is for the 240k Skylines, not the 240z. BUT on the other hand, get me the parts you need made and I wouldn't mind making the molds & producing the parts for you guys.

I make fiberglass bonnets for the s30 & s130... for the s30 I make a stock, cowl, multi-louvered and zx hood scoop style. For the s130 I make a stock turbo style hood. Plus I can make (already have a ton of molds) other parts for the s30/s130 too.

I'm in California is the only issue, BUT if we can locate a good freight service and get a group order together it'd cut down on costs.

Let me know if that's something you guys are interested in.

I don't have pics of the hoods on my website yet, but I can give you example pics of how the hoods look.

Here's my website... Z Force Productions and my Facebook Fan Page... Z Force Productions Facebook Fan Page
    Last edited by 280zforce; 07-01-2010 at 02:52 PM.
    1978 S30 3.1L Stroker Turbo - Under Consrtuction

Cardomain

Z FORCE PRODUCTIONS

Member ID
    CZCC-20522

Just curious if anyone has weighed a stock s30 hood. Mine seems incredibly light....25-30lb I'd guess. Now the hatch...that's heavy.

Member ID
    CZCC-10432

Quote Originally Posted by Mikez73 View Post
    Just curious if anyone has weighed a stock s30 hood. Mine seems incredibly light....25-30lb I'd guess. Now the hatch...that's heavy.
    Stock hoods weigh approx. 38-40 lbs. Stock hatches (w the glass) weighs 47 lbs and w/out the glass iirc around 30-35 lbs.

I also make the stock fiberglass hatches, as well as the pantera hatch.

Cardomain

Z FORCE PRODUCTIONS

Member ID
    CZCC-10432

My apologies... I just noticed this is for the 240k Skylines, not the 240z. BUT on the other hand, get me the parts you need made and I wouldn't mind making the molds & producing the parts for you guys.

Cardomain

Z FORCE PRODUCTIONS

Member ID
    CZCC-11978

Cool story bro, but i think that maybe postage from the Us of A to Australia and NZ may make it a little $$$

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

What's the go boys, is this happening???

I've decided to go the carbon route for most of my car and if we can't sort this out in Oz I'm just going to get doors,bonnet, guards and boot from Restored.

I'd much prefer to get them made in australia but I have already purchased bumpers, trim and font spoiler from restored and I'm worried about the carbon not matching up.

I'm happy for the trim bumpers to be a different look carbon but if I purchase one of the panels they will all have to look the same, thus I will be out of any future group buys.

So I suppose what I'm saying is that within 6 months I will be purchasing guards and bonnet and if we can't sort out something in Aust I'll have to go to Restored.

For the record Alfa don't do the polished carbon look so they are not an option for me.

I'm happy to buy two sets of guards and bonnets and put a set on ebay if it helps things out. If we can sort it out in Australia within my required time frame I'll won't bother getting the boot and doors, just the bonnet and guards.

I have no good panels to use so that must be left up to other people.

Let me know what the go is.

Cheers guys

Member ID
    CZCC-6769

honestly, i don't think anything is likely to happen in time

I am on the verge of giving up, sticking with original, and saving all the CF/FG goodies for the 240Z (which at least are obtainable in Australia), atleast for the 240Z i do actually need replacement parts.

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

Quote Originally Posted by khughes View Post
    honestly, i don't think anything is likely to happen in time

Makes sense not to waste those perfect panels

Member ID
    CZCC-9623

In hindsight every time frame I have ever quoted regarding any work or parts to be purchased has ended up being doubled or tripled so 6 months might not happen, maybe more like a year.

Thread Information