Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 240Z Door Panels 70-73

Member ID
    CZCC-7395

Yes I know and emailed him ( our friend Datsun Parts LLC ) and told him about the availability thru Canadian dealers . He said , " If it's true , send me as many as you can and we can both make money etc etc. " Whatever , it's his right and philosophy on life I guess . So we all know by now , forget ebay and at least check dealers first .

Member ID
    CZCC-12190

Ben and everyone who has now received the door panels, you are very welcome. Glad to help.

Good ol' Datsun parts... The shipping estimate on that auction to me is $200 US! Well he's right, the shipping is not $100!

And the sad part, someone will likely buy them..

How can reach that poor guy.....

Member ID
    CZCC-9360

Quote Originally Posted by Unkle View Post
    Yes I know and emailed him ( our friend Datsun Parts LLC ) and told him about the availability thru Canadian dealers .
    Why would you do that? Not that he can't find these posts on his own but why make it easy for him.
    =Enigma=
    CZCC#9360
    4/73 - HLS30-156236

My name is Adam and I'm a Zeeoholic!

Member ID
    CZCC-17819

I'd love to get some help acquiring a set of these. Anybody willing to help?

John

Can't have too many cars.
    Member ID
    CZCC-13064

Me too but are they only available in black? I need blue ones to go with the rest of my interior.

Member ID
    CZCC-874

Quote Originally Posted by gregs240z View Post
    Me too but are they only available in black? I need blue ones to go with the rest of my interior.
    One of the members who works for Nissan checked on colored panels. No luck there, only black are available in very limited quantities.

If they were available in blue, I would be all over that. I have been looking for an NOS blue driver's door panel since 1998!

Marty

Member ID
    CZCC-12190

Gang:

The quality and service life of the SEM vinyl dyes, if applied correctly, is very good. With these panels being "new" I would expect surface prep to be easy. Black can be made blue pretty easy.

Matching the color is the skill part, but I'm sure it can be done with some experimenting and guidance from a good auto-paint supply company local expert or your own willingness to try.

I guess we'll wait and see if more panels magically reappear from Nissan Canada in a few weeks to fill the void once more.

Jim

Member ID
    CZCC-874

Quote Originally Posted by z137 View Post
    Gang:

The quality and service life of the SEM vinyl dyes, if applied correctly, is very good. With these panels being "new" I would expect surface prep to be easy. Black can be made blue pretty easy.

Matching the color is the skill part, but I'm sure it can be done with some experimenting and guidance from a good auto-paint supply company local expert or your own willingness to try.

I guess we'll wait and see if more panels magically reappear from Nissan Canada in a few weeks to fill the void once more.

Jim

Jim,

I agree with you on SEM. In fact after a couple of years, I gave up looking and used SEM on an NOS black panel. The auto paint supply store matched the color almost perfectly. You could probably not tell the difference from the passenger side NOS blue panel that I was lucky enough to find. But there is nothing like a true NOS panel. The SEM has held up great for several years now.

Marty

Member ID
    CZCC-14684

Jim , would you happen to have a set of BLACK door panels still available? I'm intersted in purchasing a set for my 240z.

Many thanks, I'll also send private emails.
    Regards,

Mark M. .........
    1973 240z HLS30-124668 (9/72), "Deep Beryl Green-PGV"
    2010 370z JN1AZ4EH3AM503017 (3/10), "Black Cherry-NAG"

Can't have too many cars.
    Member ID
    CZCC-13064

Thanks Jim and Marty. I'll look into SEM as I have a really nice set of black NOS panels that should take the product well.

SEM has a good product offering too! SEM Products

Member ID
    CZCC-17326

Quote Originally Posted by moritz55 View Post
    Jim , would you happen to have a set of BLACK door panels still available? I'm intersted in purchasing a set for my 240z.

Many thanks, I'll also send private emails.
    From the last conversation i had with my local canadian Nissan dealer, the best way to acquire a set of new NOS panel is to have the dealer order one and it will be automatically source directly to Nissan Japan. 6 to 8 weeks delivery lead time.

Member ID
    CZCC-14684

Thanks "mikemerkury". Does this ordering through my local Nissan dealer still hold true if I;m in the USA? Many thanks...
    Regards,

Mark M. .........
    1973 240z HLS30-124668 (9/72), "Deep Beryl Green-PGV"
    2010 370z JN1AZ4EH3AM503017 (3/10), "Black Cherry-NAG"

Member ID
    CZCC-17326

Quote Originally Posted by moritz55 View Post
    Thanks "mikemerkury". Does this ordering through my local Nissan dealer still hold true if I;m in the USA? Many thanks...
    Best way to find out would be to call your US Nissan dealer and ask them bluntly to order H0901 N3300 and H0900 E4100. This is what i did in Quebec, Canada and even though the part guy was shock to ear a request for such an old part, he was even more suprise to read on is computer that the order could be put in and source directly to Nissan Japan. I do not see why this would not work in the USA since at the end almost everything comes from Nissan Japan. Also made me wonder how many of these old parts could still be available from Nissan Japan and wish i had access for a couple of days to a Nissan Canada/USA/World dealership computer in order to check them all!!!

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

I just picked up a set of panels for a U.S. member here, and I asked my Nissan connection a few questions. They will not send stuff to the U.S. and he said other dealerships likely will not either. He couldnt answer why they arent available in the U.S. but said something about warehouse allotment something or other. I said that it doesnt make sense because the U.S. is obviously a larger market. He even asked someone at a warehouse about it and apparently they are allotted to Canada only. He couldnt explain it any further.
    Last edited by Zak's Z; 04-09-2009 at 05:50 PM.
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

I also bought a set for a fellow member and asked questions from the dealership and also tried to get the taxes rebated. The dealership refused to sell directly or ship to a buyer from the US. They would have to show up and pay in person. Even though the panels were being purchased for export, both GST & PST had to be paid at the dealership, no matter your citizenship. At the border I tried to get a tax rebate form to apply for tax exemption. They would only issue the forms to foriegn nationals. Even if an American was given the form, the minimum dollar amount of the purchase had to exceed $625.00. I experienced the same as Zak, as far as nobody at the dealership being able to answer my questions.

Member ID
    CZCC-14427
    Denmark - in front of my coffee, behind the laptop

Hmmm, this question might be covered ealier in the thread, but i like to know if they only come in black or if other colors is avalible.

Chris
    -73 240Z HLS30-171039
    -66 Roadster SPL311-05204

Member ID
    CZCC-14224

Quote Originally Posted by 2 fast 2 Z View Post
    Hmmm, this question might be covered ealier in the thread, but i like to know if they only come in black or if other colors is avalible.

Chris
    They are only in black.

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    I also bought a set for a fellow member and asked questions from the dealership and also tried to get the taxes rebated. The dealership refused to sell directly or ship to a buyer from the US. They would have to show up and pay in person. Even though the panels were being purchased for export, both GST & PST had to be paid at the dealership, no matter your citizenship. At the border I tried to get a tax rebate form to apply for tax exemption. They would only issue the forms to foriegn nationals. Even if an American was given the form, the minimum dollar amount of the purchase had to exceed $625.00. I experienced the same as Zak, as far as nobody at the dealership being able to answer my questions.
    This is correct, I tried getting door panels two yrs ago and it was explained to me that Nissan does not drop ship items from Japan to the US dealers and only to the Canada dealerships.....stupid yes but I am sure there are reasons for complicated for which I care to know. This is why I drove to Cananda and bought a few sets, to justify my asking price for the panels for guys who are local to me....I had to drive 9 hrs each way to buy them because I didn't know anyone in Canada to get them for me....plus I was new to the Z world and didn't trust asking someone to buy and ship them to me

Hopefully you guys can cont to get them but them supply seems to be running low. In the US you can still get pasn side panels only. I also happen to have a set of NOS black panels that are of the "old" grain style.
    1970 240z #1905 - L30ET Resto-Mod Project

1971 240z- LS1/T56

New club forming in the Northeast. www.NYZCC.org NY,NJ,CT,PA. PM for info.

Member ID
    CZCC-10997

I just picked up my set from a dealer in Australia, they were ordered from Japan.

Member ID
    CZCC-15138

Default more panels

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny'O View Post
    I'd love to get some help acquiring a set of these. Anybody willing to help?

John
    John: I just checked with my local dealer and there were 10 sets in Calgary today, so I bought 2 sets, one for myself and another set for anyone who wants them. The dealer here does not offer any club discount so I paid 377.38 plus 18.87 tax for a total of 396.25 cnd. or 324.52 us for a set. They will be delivered on Wed. I will PM you as well.
    Dan

Member ID
    CZCC-14933

Hi Dan,

PM sent

Thanks,
    Marc

Member ID
    CZCC-3237

I understand that MSA has them available to USA folks, in black only.

Enjoy
    Enjoy the ride........

Member ID
    CZCC-5664

I guess for blue covers Les @ Classic Datsun is still the best bet.
    Mark
    '71 240Z White 904
    VIN HLS3022975
    '78 280Z Wine Red Metallic 611
    VIN HLS30468702
    IZCC #13834 CZC #5664
    '07 Nismo 350Z Silver Alloy Serial #0007
    VIN JN1BZ34E47M552354

Member ID
    CZCC-12232

Thanks for the info. on the door panels. I am looking for some white ones. where is this nissan parts dept located in canada. phone or address. Thanks.

Member ID
    CZCC-7211

Quote Originally Posted by roger trejo View Post
    Thanks for the info. on the door panels. I am looking for some white ones. where is this nissan parts dept located in canada. phone or address. Thanks.
    They are NOT available in white. Only BLACK is available, in intermittent quantities. There is no parts depot in Canada per say, its just any dealership here. People on this thread have called a dealership in Toronto to get prices and availability as well as some dealerships out west. They also do not ship, and most require payment up front to order them and then pick up in person to get them.

If you want black ones call any dealership in Canada, if you can't locate one you want let me know and I can call one here for you.
    Zak

HLS30-79101
    Work in progress.

Member ID
    CZCC-18002

The reason:

These door panels are not approved for the US market and that is why the US dealers are not allowed to sell them. They are only approved for Canadian 240z cars. It may be a safety issue (maybe the US version had to have a cutout for a lamp and maybe Nissan decided later to cover over the hole and let dealers punch the vinyl when the lamp went in during panel installation, NHTSA might have balked) or it could be something related to a part number (meaning they are the same, but some clerical error got caught up in bureaucracy once upon a time). For whatever reason, our government is the reason we cannot get these. Or maybe those door panel lamps were required by the US government and the early 240z cars were rigged up with door lamps to get past regulators with the intention of being removed from the production line after regulators went away. I bet a cantankerous old engineer thought they were stupid.

In the 70s, folks would track down Canadian cylinder heads for racing because they had higher compression than the US versions.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Quote Originally Posted by cafebaltimore View Post
    The reason:
    I suspected it was a bureaucratic snag that has never been worked out simply because there was not enough, or any opposition to whatever government agencies guideline or rule wasn't met.

If I can sidetrack the topic briefly, I would like to know if anyone spotted an Ebay ad a few days ago listed by datsun-parts. It was a Buy it Now for a NOS dash panel. I would not have bid on it whatever the price, but someone did or the listing was ended early by the seller and it has disappeared from the listings. It does not even show up in an advanced search. In one of the pics (which I should have saved, but it was gone before I had a chance) the part number was clearly visable on what looked like new packaging from Nissan and had "CAN" included on the barcode label. I am just wondering if new dash panels are being made available also?
    Last edited by geezer; 05-20-2009 at 10:51 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-14224

Ron from what I know, you can still order NOS dashes. You can't by the series 1 dash for sure, but last I checked the dashes were anout $1500. Not sure about 280 dashes. Are you going to call and check them out Ron?
    1970 240z #1905 - L30ET Resto-Mod Project

1971 240z- LS1/T56

New club forming in the Northeast. www.NYZCC.org NY,NJ,CT,PA. PM for info.

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Hmmn, I was doing a quick check of newly listed items under a "240Z" search and spotted the ad, which I believe was an early dash. I continued on looking at all the other listings and then went back to check out the part number, but the ad was gone. If I was going to check for availability, I would have to give them a part number and I'm not sure if the old number could be used or not, cause that's all I have.

Member ID
    CZCC-2148

Hmmn, I was doing a quick check of newly listed items under a "240Z" search and spotted the ad, which I believe was an early dash. I continued on looking at all the other listings and then went back to check out the part number, but the ad was gone. If I was going to check for availability, I would have to give them a part number and I'm not sure if the old number could be used or not, cause that's all I have.
    Hi Ron,

I am going to do some speculation, which may fit what you have been seeing.

There is a web site, www.new-datsun-parts.com which lists new dashes from 1970-78 for sale. More than likely what you saw, and what he offers on his web site is a 1972 dash up to 7/72, I believe, part no. 68100-E8800, which is a direct replacement for the earliest dash, #68100-E4600 according to the parts CD.

Now, this site may or may not be the same individual who was selling the dash on ebay.

Dan

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Hi Dan - They are two different sellers. The Ebay dash was being sold by datsun-parts (Al) from Rancho Cucamonga, California. He is a featured seller in the "Bad Ebayer" thread on this site and also a member who posts every so often, when he feels the need to defend his honor. The other, www.new-datsun-parts.com is based in Port Coquitlam BC Canada and operated by Carl Jaeger, who I have bought from. I am not looking to buy a dash and only briefly glanced over the ad while breezing through the listings but did notice the odd barcode label with the Nissan part number. It was distinctly marked "CAN". It just sparked my curiosity and then when I scrolled back through the items, it was gone. I can't remember exactly what it was priced at, but I remember thinking it was ridiculously high. I think $2300.00, but don't quote me on that.
    Last edited by geezer; 05-20-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-2148

Hi Dan - They are two different sellers.
    Yeah, I finally figured out that it was "AL". Carl Jaeger is a good guy to deal with as I, too, have purchased from him. A bit pricy, but he has found me some very hard to find items.

Dan

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-240z View Post
    More than likely what you saw, and what he offers on his web site is a 1972 dash up to 7/72, I believe, part no. 68100-E8800...
    This dash has been relisted and Dan had the part number correct. The seller is not who I thought it was either.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=110394605587
    Last edited by geezer; 02-14-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Not to derail this thread, but...
    Ron, Jeff, as I understand it from my local parts manager, you are dead on. I had asked him early last year to check into his ability to get parts that were available in Canada, he said that the issue was that Nissan USA was not allowed to order specific parts from Japan, or move parts across the border.
    Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Thread Information