Thread: Stock mustache bar bushing flare

Member ID
    CZCC-14083

Default Stock mustache bar bushing flare

Got my front and rear control arm bushings installed (stock). Decided on stock mustache bar bushings. They are longer than I expected, but I figure after you press them in you have to flare the end somehow. Check the photo. Is this the right part ('72Z with an R200 swap). If its right, how do you press them in?

Lee - 2/72 240Z

Thinking ahead is NO EXCUSE for thinking!

Member ID
    CZCC-4044

press in like normal, then the extra material will need to be hammered down on top of the mustache bar like the old one was.

You will have to cut the old one out.
    things will only bother you if you let them.

82 280zxt 4 spd auto
    73 240z--lsd, cv axles
    short throw info

Member ID
    CZCC-7312

I used an grinder to take off the lip of the original bushing and then caved it in and drove it out with a chisel. Once you then driven the new one back in its place, you'll want to flare the lip back like the old one. You can hammer it into a lip or use a hacksaw and cut the bushing down to the Mustache Bar at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions. Spray with some paint, done.
    Last edited by ZCurves; 01-11-2010 at 12:53 PM.
    Andrew (ZCurves)
    1978 Coupe - HLS30-440105
    Spring, Texas USA

pro deo et patria
    My Albumz

Member ID
    CZCC-14083

This is what I ended up with... The bushing has different resistance to motion depending on the voids. I ended up randomly putting them in but with the stiffer resistance left/right and the weaker resistance front back which is opposite from the original (obliterated) bushings. I imagine anything is better than what was there which was almost no resistance...

Last edited by GreenZZZ; 04-28-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: type-o
    Lee - 2/72 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-19498
    308 Palmetto Avenue Melbourne Florida 32901

I apologize for not responding before noe GREEN. I used an acetlyne torch and just waited for them to disintergrate....only took a few moments and the mustache bar did not disfigure. To re-install I used a standard shop press and had no issues. Mine don't quite look like your though. I would probably re-install those if I were you. Most repair shops have presses if not a machine shop will. Good Luck

Member ID
    CZCC-20531

I did not know the stock mustache bar bushings were still available. Did you get these from Nissan?
    Steve

1973 240Z (daily driver)
    1971 240Z (track car)

Member ID
    CZCC-14083

Quote Originally Posted by esmit208 View Post
    Mine don't quite look like your though. I would probably re-install those if I were you.
    The bushings went in with a press, but I couldn't find anyone with the tool to flare the last 3/8" once pressed, so I followed ZCurves advice and slotted/whacked the collar to flare the end down. Then I sanded it with a dremmel. Paint is next.

Quote Originally Posted by steve91tt View Post
    I did not know the stock mustache bar bushings were still available. Did you get these from Nissan?
    Nissan part bought from Motorsport (MSA/ZCarParts). There is another thread about gear whine/noise from using urethane bushings so I decided to go stock. Unlike the control arm bushings, the collar needs to be flared which is what I wanted to figure out here. The urethane bushings are real easy to install!
    Lee - 2/72 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-14083

Ended up redoing the bushings as Kevin LeBlanc at the Austin Z-Clinic had a tool made up to do the flare. Worked great!

Lee - 2/72 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Do you think Kevin would lend,borrow, sell, that tool???
    It would save a lot of time and hassle for me to just use his tool to get the job done. If there is any way you can help make this happen I would appreciate it.
    Steve
    71 240z,bw-5sp 2.4-40 over,balanced,e-88,big valves,ported&polished, stage2,header, triple Mikuni's 40's
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-19584

Steve,

I also had one of these made (in fact I think I had it done before Kevin). I have lent it out to one other member and am willing to do the same for you if it would help you out.

All I request is that you take care of postage / mailing costs and return it back to me as soon as you are done so it is available for other members when they need it.

Let me know.

Mike.

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Mike,
    so your installer is the same? If it is just let me know your paypal and I will send you money so you can ship it to me!!
    I had just sent off a e-mail to Kevin, to ask to borrow his tool, but be glad to send you postage money and I will definitely send it back when I'm done.
    Steve
    71 240z,bw-5sp 2.4-40 over,balanced,e-88,big valves,ported&polished, stage2,header, triple Mikuni's 40's
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-19584

Steve,

No Kevin did not do mine, although I do know him. I have had him do some work for me and he does great work, but unfortunately I did not know about Kevin and his shop when I was going through this. Through a long chain of events I got connected with a little shop in Austin called Scotty's Driveshaft and they made the tool for me. Not sure who made Kevin's for him.

In any case I will send you a PM and give you my contact detials so I can get this to you.

Mike.

Member ID
    CZCC-14083

Mike, your tool bevel looks flat photo here and Kevin's tool has a rounded bevel so I don't think they were made by the same machinist. Both work. Main thing is to get the lip started in the right direction, which they both clearly do. The finish on the rounded beveled tool looks about the same Nissan factory.
    Lee - 2/72 240Z

Member ID
    CZCC-19584

Lee,

You are correct and I do not believe that the machinist that made mine is the same that made the one for Kevin. In the end, they both work as you indicated, but I do like the finish look of yours a little better. Oh well, in 25 years when I do this again I will either borrow Kevin's or have another made.

BTW, I see that you are in Austin. It would be cool to hook up one of these days. I would be very interested in observing your restoration project. Let me know. Perhaps we can grab a drink after work or something.

Mike.

Member ID
    CZCC-14083

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    BTW, I see that you are in Austin. It would be cool to hook up one of these days. I would be very interested in observing your restoration project. Let me know. Perhaps we can grab a drink after work or something.
    I'll be over at the Z-Clinic this weekend hopefully putting the suspension back in the unibody and liberating the car from its rotisserie. w00t!!!
    Lee - 2/72 240Z

Thread Information