Thread: Countdown to ZCON

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Default Countdown to ZCON

Well ever since I found out that Z con was going to be so close to home this year, I have been telling myself that I've got to be there with my Z. The reality is that I have a ton of work to do. You might have seen my thread where I had posted that the car was finally painted, but now it's time to put everything-and I mean everything back together. This is a daunting task with a deadline that is getting closer everyday. I've tried to have a lot of things ready to just bolt back on after painting, but all those details are what's going to catch up with me. When I make out a list it seems never ending:
    Things to do;
    1.Buff out paint job and fix any imperfections
    2.Install all glass including door glass and hardware
    3. Install interior, the car is gutted(95% is restored-just need installed)
    4.Install all weatherstripping
    5.Start, breakin and tune new motor after I finish accessory installations
    6. run engine compartment wiring so I can do step 5
    7. Install all exterior trim, lights

What I do have done;
    1. Drivetrain installed, engine,trans, diff, axles
    2.Brakes installed,just need to bled and tested
    3. Interior refurbished-including dash
    4. Gas tank installed(non factory type so it needs testing)
    5. Exhaust fabricated and partially installed, another couple of hours of work

Oh, the other things I need to do;
    1. pay lots of attention to wife-keep everyone happy
    2. work lots of hours to pay for daughters college
    3. hang out with son and go to his swim meets
    4. maintain the other 3 cars in the household
    5. finish all the sheetmetal repair on the customers Z in my garage
    6. maintain the house

Hope to see lots of folks at Z con. If I'm not driving my 240, I will have the daughters 280zxt-come to think about it, it has A/C
    Steve
    71 240z,bw-5sp 2.4-40 over,balanced,e-88,big valves,ported&polished, stage2,header, triple Mikuni's 40's
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Default time is flying

Well I had to search to find this thread I started because it was so long ago and that scares me. Zcon seemed pretty far away in January, but as usual time is flying by. I can't say that I am on schedule , but I am getting some things done. The exhaust is finally done, or as done as i am going to get. I bit off a pretty bite trying to make duals for this car. There isn't a lot of rom to work with and this was the first exhaust i ever fabricated. The hard part was making it look symetrical. The lack of room underneath only allows for short mufflers(glasspacks in my case) and it was hard to have them not at some kind of angle. Multiply that by the fact that I put an LSD in and had to fab a support bracket for the rear control arms which got in the way of the original exhaust-sssooooo more fabrication and moving of the exhaust. I ended up with exhaust tips that came out of the rear at a slight angle(down and outward). I'm willing to live with it after seeing a 370z exhaust tips that come out at a downward angle also. Sometimes you just have to say "good enough". I also started putting some of the interior back together. As you know with these cars that everything kind of starts at the headliner when you put a stripped out car back together. Well my headliner i put in was not up to snuff so I am redoing it. The padding I used was too thin and left gaps around the top edges of the headliner-so I pressed on with other items that i could do until more headliner material came in.
    I installed some firewall insulation from some aircraft stuff a buddy gave me and then I was able to install the heater box which i had already restored. I then moved on to installing my gear shifter and boots. This might seem to be an easy job, but once again I was dealing with a change i made from stock. I installed the BWT-5 and that moved the shifter way foward and I updated the actual shifter which affected how the original rubber boots fit. So basically I took an one hour job and made it a 5 hour job because of my modification. I had to notch the console that wasn't the original console. My hats off to folks that work in the R&D department
    Lastly I worked on getting the accessories on my engine. All this while I was putting floors in another Z.
    I had a motorhead friend come over the other day and laughed when i said that i would be driving this car in July-now I'm really motivated. he bet me 100$ that i would have it done and i thanked him for gas money to Nashville
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhaust done 006.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	34871   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhaust done 019.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	34872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhaust done 031.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	34873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhaust done 033.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	34874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhaust done 034.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	34875  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhaust done 037.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	34876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhaust done 007.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	34877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drivers side welded 003.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	34878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat rails 002.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	34879  
    Last edited by madkaw; 03-05-2010 at 03:08 PM.
    Steve
    71 240z,bw-5sp 2.4-40 over,balanced,e-88,big valves,ported&polished, stage2,header, triple Mikuni's 40's
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-20605

I see that you have finished welding in the floor pans. Looks great to me! Your posts here and at Hybridz have inspired me to order a set of pans from Charley Osbourne and I am getting ready to order a set of Baddog rails.

Take care of yourself - you have a lot on your plate! Been there back in '95 trying to make a meet with '57 Chrysler 300C and have the heart attack(1st one) to prove it.
    Original owner of early '74 260Z that was rode hard and put away wet. Gonna try to revive it from a long sleep. I am old enough to know better - right, like that's ever gonna happen.
    Pictures of La cagada marrón

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Be advised that those floors are like most aftermarket panels-they need lots of work to fit. I posted on HybridZ about the floor pans , but recieved no responses. I feel that the pans are made too deep(compared to my untouched car), which causes a problem lining up with the floor support. No easy way to fix that unless you want to reform the floors on the outboard side. Then again, I repaired a Porsche 911 floors and those panels weren't that great either.
    As far as my health, I consider this my youth serum I try to stay in good condition just so I can continue to play like this. i admit that at 47 this is getting a little tougher, but I'm smarter and work smarter which makes things easier. I go to work dressed for warfare too-gloves, work boots, safety glasses, knee pads and coveralls. This is geniune stress relief for me to beat on some metal in the garage. I wouldn't want to do this for a living though!
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

'72 240Z(G) 3.2L
    Member ID
    CZCC-7328

Steve - I was 53 when I wrecked my 240 and restored another 240 from the ground up (down to bare metal) in under 6 months. I won the Mr. K award for best car at the ZCON that year.

Seven yrs later and I take my complete suspension down each winter to refresh and check it, plus I am always updating and upgrading my Z. This year I am rebuilding the triple 44mm Mikunis. I'm waiting for my wife to go away on a trip so I can start washing parts in the kitchen sink. She leaves tomorrow for a week! By Spring I will have put in over 200 hrs on my 240 and another 100 on the race car.

Keep at it. I later figured I worked an average of 6 hrs every day for 6 mths and of course I had a job with travel that kept me away for weeks at a time.

Every day do something, even if that is just organizing or planning your next step. polish or clean something. It'll get done.

Look forward to seeing you at ZCON. The New England club has 7 members signed up already.
    if a little knowledge can make you dangerous, I'm a little dangerous

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

We're all pulling for you, Steve. Everything you're doing looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product.

P.S. - If I ever do another Z that needs floors, I think I'll want to bring it to you. Outstanding looking work!
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Floors aren't too bad since no one really see them if you do a terrible looking job I tried to make these look stock appearing from the outside. I also strived to do as much of the welding as I could outside the car or from on top of the panel. Anyone considering this job should order about 20 clecos from Summit or somewhere. They are a great tool for doing this kind of repair and they are cheap. I probably have 50 hours in the floors which include the floor supports and tying into the tension rod boxes to repair the bottom side of those.
    I still have rockers, doglegs, and hatch sill plate and a couple of other small items to finish on this customers car while i'm trying to finish mine in time for Zcon. When I get tired of doing the noisy, dirty work on this car i go and do some clean work on mine to keep my sanity. Actaully I think I like the dirty work as much!

Name:	floor replacement 019.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	34880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor replacement 021.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	34881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor replacement 028.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	34882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor replacement 032.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	34883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	passenger side 004.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	34884  

Name:	passenger side 009.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	34885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	passenger side 014.jpg 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	34886  
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-20605

Hmmm, wife's away and there is an empty dishwasher sitting there?????
    When I replaced ours 15 years ago and hooked up the old one outside - picture the Clampets - and wow did it work great on those greasy junkyard finds. Wife was frowning on my intention of doing same last year when I replaced the dishwasher again. Old electric ovens have their uses also. Old crock pots w/wintergreen soften old rubber pretty good. I digress...
    Did not mean to sound like Debbie Downer, I pulling for you also!
    Original owner of early '74 260Z that was rode hard and put away wet. Gonna try to revive it from a long sleep. I am old enough to know better - right, like that's ever gonna happen.
    Pictures of La cagada marrón

Member ID
    CZCC-19498
    308 Palmetto Avenue Melbourne Florida 32901

STEVE
    Yes it will be a beauty. You really inspire me to keep pushing forward on my 2nd resto. My first one was worked on for about 3 years trying to get it ready to go to Indianapolis back in 2000 for the Formula 1 GP. The car made the trip with one seat and no finishing carpet but I had a great time. I did find out one thing though, they are difficult to restore whlie you drive them. If you don't make ZCON this year don't worry. There are plenty other enthusiast events around the country. My 72 that is in resto will not turn a wheel until it is complete ( both seats and carpet). I'm planning to take my oldest son to first day in 1st grade. That's still 5 years down the road. Keep plodding along. BTW the floors do look good and your suggestion about the clecos is a good one. I work for an aircraft manufacturer and I can get them at their cost. I should have a welder in about a month or so. A word of advice to anyone that reads this, leave the gearbox in while the floors are being installed. It allows the tunnel to stay in the same place after you cut out the rotted floors and the new ones are a tad easier to fit. If the gearbox is removed the tunnel will shift once you cut the rotted stuff away.
    Remember....HAPPINESS isn't just around the corner....HAPPINESS is the corner!

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Glad I can motivate someone else .. I usually set my goals pretty high, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
    As far as the floors, I did bolt in the crossmember before I tore things apart and I don't believe anything shifted with this car, but the car is pretty solid everywhere else. The frame rails and rockers are solid which makes a big difference with these cars. I'm glad on my car I didn't have to do this, my floors just had surface rust.
    My headliner material came in today, so i know what my next major project is now! because after that job, everything should feel down hill.
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Default 160 days to go

I try not to watch the calendar, but it is only 4 months away and I have lots to do. I have made some major progress in that I got my headliner in, which was holding back from completing many other jobs. The front windshield also went in with little trouble, though I nicked the seal slightly installing the trim. I had my trim powder coated matte black like everything else that is trim ,and I am happy with the look.
    The rear hatch was a bi$%h and it took three of us to persuade it to settle in. Again I suffered a nick installing the trim, it was even tougher on the rear hatch. I also got some tears on the inner part of the seal, but no one will see them and it shouldn't affect the sealing of the window.
    I also got some needed items from the plater, but once again there are issues. The acid or whatever they used ate up some off the nylon pieces. I was told by the plater that the "plastic "should be fine, but this stuff is nylon I guess. Anyone else have this issue? The ball end on one of the carb linkages looks really bad, but I can't remove that end since it is pressed on or something. So maybe I can replace that end or see if they can plate another one without dipping that nylon ball.
    Questions: Is the door latch assembly supposed to be yellow zinc like everything else? Mine are very clean, but it doesn't look like it everhad any "yellow" to it.
    How do you install a new choke grommet on a set of choke cables?

Name:	headliner 011.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	35260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windshield trim 002.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	35261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windshield trim 009.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	35262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windshield trim 012.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	35263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windshield trim 017.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	35264  

Name:	windshield trim 015.jpg 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	35265  
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Default It's Alive!!!!!!

Well this is a big step towards Zcon. After having this engine together for the past 3 years, I finally get to start it up. I finally got my battery cable ends in to make my custom battery cables so i could use the factory cover. I am glad I did it, because these cables are much better then anything I could find at the parts stores.
    After i got my timing issue resolved, it fires up right away, but it is freakin LOUD. I might have to rethuink the glass packs on my duals. It's going to sound loud sitting in the garage, but I think it will be too loud for a daily cruiser. I was glad to see all my guages were working except the fuel guage, but I expected that. Even the tach works after doing the zx dizzy mod. I guess my alternator I bought off of ebay is a dud, never again will I buy an item like that from ebay. What's sad is that it was a Z forum member that sold it. I should have another alternator by this evening, which should help the car run even better--- instead of straight off the battery. I also noticed when the car was running that the temp probably only got to 160 at best, but I might have put a 160 thermostat in.
    Now I need to finish up running the harness around the engine bay and work on my headlight relays. Then I can bleed the brakes and take this thing for a spin

Name:	Its Alive 002.JPG 
Views:	1166 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	36229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Its Alive 003.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	36230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Its Alive 004.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	36231  
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-15137

Beautiful work, Steve. I hope to see you in N'ville.
    First & Third owner of HLS30-00721
    B. 01/70 D. 03/12

New owner of HLS30-15653
    B. 12/70 D.

Frank in Houston, Texas

'72 240Z(G) 3.2L
    Member ID
    CZCC-7328

Answer re: nylon crap after plating - use a dremel tools w/wire brush and remove the foam that floats on the top of the plating solution. It hardens and leaves a real "nice" deposit that makes you think the ball ends are no longer use-able.

Some work will be needed to get them back to normal but the ball is still in there.

I have over 30 ends still to do myself....
    if a little knowledge can make you dangerous, I'm a little dangerous

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Gnose,
    thanks for the advice, I actually took an end off of an extra linkage and secured it to the end by drilling a hole thru the plastic and rod and using a cotter pin to hold it on. It wasn't the most desirable fix, but it worked in the pinch. My plastic really looked damaged and when i took it back to the plater he tried using a different method of cleaning up the metal next time before plating. He actually used a media blast instead of chemicals to prep the pieces before plating. The problem with this method is that the zinc doesn't shine as well, it turns out almost matte finish. I don't have any more pieces to do to try an perfect a method with the plater, but he was suggesting a nickle dipping before the zinc. In the end, I am going to live with what i have.
    D240zx2-thanks for the comments and I hope to see everyone there(IN MY CAR). The pressure is mounting.
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-17329

Ive got a few workarounds i use with my local plater which helps preserve the nylon in my nylocks so they maintain their color and substance. This may or may not be applicable to your situation.

The silver zinc or silver cad process itself seems to not damage or discolor the nylon, but the cleaning process does. Now I put all my nylocks into a descalar bath in an ultrasonic cleaner prior to sending it to the platers. The descalar and ultrasonic cleaner costs a few hundred and is useful for removing rust and plating.

Alternatively, if every surface which needs to be plated is exposed, you can put the part in a media blaster to clean it, and then polish it on a wire wheel until it gleems. Tell the plater to forgo the cleaning process and plate it clear zinc. If you want it to look really sharp you can also tell the plater to not add any blue color to the zinc. The resultant part will look shiny silver, hopefully with the nylon unharmed.

This works for me, hopefully for you too.
    Last edited by xs10shl; 05-22-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-17329

Sorry for the previous post. It's a mess. I'm on a mobile.

[edit - fixed it]
    Last edited by xs10shl; 05-22-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-3035

I am counting the days myself. I have my new weatherstrip installed. (Thanks to all those from the Indy Z car club who helped)

But now my stereo has died, and the battery is failing. So I have a schedule to get things replaced.

Must be done by July 28...
    '71 240Z, Because any fool can drive fast in a straight line.

Member ID
    CZCC-21037

thanks for sharing this and i hope that you will share more that type in future thanks

buddy............

Rueckfahrsystem

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Default Took it for a spin!!!!!!

Although it was only about a block, but it did move under it's own power instead of me pushing it around on dollies. Did I say this thing is LOUD-like hide the women and children loud.
    It did really feel SOLID going down the road and i couldn't hear any strange noises coming from anywhere -because it's so freakin LOUD. I will try and post a video this week.
    I have to do some double checking but I believe I will be ordering some magnaflows this week. They actually make something small enough for my cramped space. It took so long to get the pipes to sit right in the rear valance and i will have to start all over again Oh well, I only wasted 25$ on Both glasspacks, so i'm not out a bunch of $$$.

I will be posting soon for some wiring help. I am getting down to the final stuff in and around the fuse box and accessories and i seem to have too many loose ends going on. Like the combination switch has a blue/white wire(male bullet end) that seems to go nowhere. The schematic shows wiper, but the wipers work fine. I also have extra wires since i went from automatic to manual-i.e. kick down seloniod. My biggest worries are that the dash lights don't work yet, do all the circuits have to be complete to get the dash lights to work-as in parlking light grounds??

I start a new schedule next week that should help me gain some time to finish this car up-but it will be down to the wire.
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-3035

Congratulations! That first drive is a major event, proof that the long hours weren't in vain.

See you in July I hope.

Member ID
    CZCC-932

I think there will be a good chance that a few of us from the West Coast will be there.

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Default Getting closer

Well i'm stilling making headway, but it seems to be an hour at a time. The clock is ticking in the back of my mind constantly and reminding me to stay on task. The engine compartment is about complete except for tying up some loose ends with the headlight wiring. I am waiting on my airbox to get back from the powder coater. I have given up on having the triple Mikunis on the car before I go, I'm just going to run out of time.
    The wiring i still giving me fits, but I expected that. I am going from automatic trans to manual, plus retro fitting some newer model stuff on the car which adds to the mess. I can't get my dash lights to work and i am getting a headache from staring at the schematic. I do have all my exterior lights working, including reverse lights and turn signals.
    I got my spoiler buffed out and mounted up, so now she is looking pretty good. I still have to wet sand and buff out the entire car.
    I have a weeks vacation at the end of the month and i'm hoping to have things looking better by then-if not- I might have to consider not making it in time-but I'm keeping my hopes up.

Name:	Zcar 002.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	36494   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zcar 003.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	36495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zcar 004.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	36496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zcar 005.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	36497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zcar 006.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	36498  

Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-3035

Hope you finish in time.

Personally, I am waiting on my MSA rear speaker enclosure. I have new speakers and a new stereo to replace my dead Aiwa unit, but I need the enclosure. Hopefully we will both be ready.

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Default Another week gone bye-bye

Well I left off with the dash lights giving me headaches. Well I realized after investigating that I put some of my dash lights in the wrong holes in the speedo. The bad part is there is no way to get in there and swap out with the defroster ducting in the way--soooo, out comes the dash. I also noticed that my ampmeter guage wires were not tight-bad scenerio that had to be fixed. so I lost a half a day, but all lights working-almost. I had traced all my wiring and have assigned all the loose ends to where they need to hook up to, except an ignition hot plug(green wire and black/white stripe), not sure what it hooked up to. All guages work-even the fuel guage(small triumph since this is a CJ5 tank and fuel sending unit), all lights work and my combination switch operates the way it should-any ideas on the plug?
    I recieved my airbox back from the powder coater, and of course it needed some tweeking too-can't anything just bolt on!!!!! The airbox would not slide on because of the M/C bleeder on the M/C just stuck out too far on my 15/16" upgrade. well I just had too cut off the end(1/4" worth) and it slid on.
    My new mufflers arrived to tame the wild beast. My twin magnaflows(all of 11" casing length) should fit in there nicely-after lots of work of course.
    Maybe this next week can think about plates and insurance and start breaking this baby in

Name:	zzzzzz 003.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	36654  
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-15137

Wow! Now how pretty is THAT? Awesome job, Steve.
    First & Third owner of HLS30-00721
    B. 01/70 D. 03/12

New owner of HLS30-15653
    B. 12/70 D.

Frank in Houston, Texas

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Default time to drive!!

I had a pretty decent week of progress even though some of the time was towards the redo of my exhaust. What i find interesting is that I spent more time redoing my headlight assemblies and installing them, then i did hanging new mufflers. Installing headlites also included putting on my lens covers-which is kind of a pain to get on straight. The best part is that most of my ventures ended successfully so my only complaint was the HEAT.
    After installing my new mufflers I drove the car around the block again and thought that this will work nicely. Besides the noise of the tire grinding on one of my fender lips, the other noises coming from the exhaust were muscular, but not overbearing.
    I called the insurance company and now i'm insured ready to drive(except for a plate). I need to install the hatch seal and door seals so the car won't rattle me to death, and possibly roll a fender so I don't eat too much rubber, but I'm ready to break this engine in. Just from my little put-put a round the block I can tell this engine is very strong!!

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/...t=MVI_2290.mp4

Name:	IMG_2291.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	36790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2292.jpg 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	36791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2289.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	36792  
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-3035

Interesting shift lever you have there.

The car is really taking shape I see. Great work.

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

BW T-5 trans with a pro-shifter, stock 280zxt boot.
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Can't have too many cars.
    Member ID
    CZCC-13064

Wow Steve! You've made a ton of progress since I last saw her. Keep on pushing you'll make it yet!

Member ID
    CZCC-21075

Car looks fantastic Steve, best of luck finishing it for the show....
    What caught my eye is the T-5 installation, I will be swapping motors soon this summer with the BW T-5 & am curiious about the tranny crossmember for the s30.
    What is the best route to aquire this, does anyone make them for sale over on hybrid z?
    I know I will have to shorten the driive shaft & change the rear flange to accomodate the turbo shaft as well.
    1977 280z 06/77

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

I believe I use the stock crossmember with slight modification. I had to modify the tranny mount more then anything. Drop me an e-mail sometime and I had foward some pics.
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Default The good, bad and the pain

Well I actually put some miles on the car, but with some issues. I believe i have brake rotor issues so I took all my rotors to the machine shop this morning to have them checked. the rear was really bad and I hope it is just the rotor. I had the hubs turned before I modded the rear kit on and I hope it was done right.
    Well the machine shop called as I am typing and said all the rotors need a touch. The rear was out .006+, so I hope that was the issue. He said the rotor had high spots so maybe that was the audible part that I was hearing.
    The good part was the motor felt good-although still pretty loud. i had to go with SM needles in my SU's since it was to lean-and it did make a nice change.

I got to say that my family-especially my wife has been wonderful thru all of this. I am spending my entire week of vacation busting my ass on this car and doing NOTHING else. I need to make a decision whether I am going to make it to Zcon this weekend. A good day today would make a difference.

I am also realizing that my body is not up to this pace. I have taken more tylenol this week then i ever have.
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Default An exhausting story

Well I had several issues going on at once-but by far the brake issue was the scariest. The skim cut at the machinist cleaned up everything and the brakes will put you thru the windshield----but smoothly now

The exhaust needed some resonators to help calm the resonance at 2500rpm. The drone was too loud and annoying to deal with. So I called Summit and ordered some cheapy 20$ resonators and installed them. The installation went smoother then I could imagine(it all actually fit under there), so I couldn't be happier. I still get some raspy resonance at 2500, but it is negligible. The only other thing to do is put some tail pipe resonator in.

I've put about 125 miles on her now and I couldn't be happier with the sound and performance so far. I have limited myself to 4000rpm, but she pulls strong all the way from 1500rpm. Cruisin rpm at 80mph is about 3000-3200-I think I could put 390 gears in this thing. Temperature is rock solid, as well as oil pressure. My only conplaints are that I think I have a tire out of balance that is making a lot of road noise and I get tire rub on all corners-but it is very light. I don't know if i can squeeze anymore room out of my fender lips-so anyone selling their ZG's. I am going to make a last ditch effort to make the stock fenders work on Wed.

Big items left to do are

install carpet
    install plastic interior panels
    install front bumper
    change out faulty MSA instrument light bulbs
    Color sand and buff out car

Name:	final exhaust 001.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	36951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final exhaust 002.jpg 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	36952  
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Default One week to go and I'm running out of time

Steady progress, but too much to do in the amount of time, I will need to prioritize my to do list so I can get to Zcon. The interior is done, except for the 2 pieces of carpet behind the seats(got shorted by MSA).
    I have the front of the car wet sanded and buffed and I am very happy with the outcome. I still have a lot of buffing to do and it will eat most of my time.
    I still have only about 250 miles on the car so I need to get out and drive-but that takes time, time I don't have a lot of. I am waiting on my halfshafts to get back from the driveshaft shop from beeing balanced. Still have something going on in the driveline that I have to narrow down.
    Somewhere in there I need to sleep too!
    Oh yeah, and watch my son swim in state competition.

Name:	IMG_2389.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	37222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2395.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	37223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2392.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	37224  
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-13064

Looking good, Steve! Can't wait to see it someday soon.

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Don't come by this week or I will put you too work.

Your's is next brother.
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-13064

Seriously, If I didn't have plans this weekend I would love to drive up to help.

Member ID
    CZCC-14933

Steve,

I look forward to meeting you at the Convention and seeing the beautiful car you are killing yourself to finish in time for Nashville. Look for me in a white 72 240z with red side stripes and Rhode Island plates. 1100 miles to Nashville from RI, I hope the ol girl has it in her to get me there without any problems.

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Default Big week-end

Hoping to meet all you guys too and exchange war stories
    Well my son swims at State Competition in Indianapolis, at least it is close to my house. There is 3-4 hour breaks between sessions and my wife and i swap out watching the comp.
    The car is finished enough to take to zcon except for that pesky driveline noise. I have consulted one of our driveline gurus(jon morteson) and it sounds like I need to check my pinion angle today for sure.
    yesterday was knocking out other things like doing a compression test to see how the rings are seating; 190-195 all the way across, so that was good.
    I also had an annoying tick in the motor and found a valve lash needing adj.(by the way, the screwdriver/stethoscope idea really works well)
    Also the car smelled rich and the front plugs were pretty dark. So I started looking the SU's over. Found an interested problem. The mixture adjustment knob(3 screw type-large wheel) was hitting the metal strap that holds one of the hoses against the air filter box. What this did was fool me into thinking that when I turned the adjustment all the way in-I was all the way bottomed out-but I wasn't-I was just hitting this strap so I couldn't get anymore turns. Thus I would adjust way too rich------Anyway-make sure nothing is in the way of the adjustment knob!!!!!!!
    Besides the driveline noise the only other thing that bothers me is the smell of raw fuel. My build included putting a different gas tank in to accomidate my dreams of dual exhaust. Now in hard left turns I get a raw gas smell as if the fuel is running up my vent hoses into the vent box, or running up the filler neck. I cannot find any trace of fuel visually, but i know that will be tuff to spot.

By the way, I finished buffing!

Name:	IMG_2400.jpg 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	37285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2399.jpg 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	37286  
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Your car looks great Steve! Good luck correcting the remaining issues and Good luck to your son at the State competition. Won't be long now, you will be reaping in the well deserved praise and catching up on your sleep. Nice Job!

Member ID
    CZCC-13064

WOW!! Steve, your Z looks gorgeous! I really like the blacked out trim and door handles. What brand side mirrors? They look sharp.

Good luck at ZCon!

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Thanks guys. Greg, I think you will be happy with the paint if you go with Steve. I had to overcome some issues with the clear(which you saw i believe), but it polished out beautifully and the body work was about flawless.

The mirrors were some off brand, not sure I like them for the utility. The passenger side is about useless, but I screwed up the mounting place somehow. I thought I had it all lined out before paint, and when I went to mount the other day it was like--'what the hell did I do, I can't see a thing with this mirror.'

Well off to check my pinion angle.
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-7622

Default I made it!

Well guys I was sweating it for the whole trip, but she made it with flying colors.The last few days were hairy since I was fretting over a noise in the rear, but the noise never got worse or any better during the trip. I also had a SU problem with the front cylinders running rich, so I decided to adjust the float-well that almost became a disaster. It seemed to get worse, but somehow straightened itself out at the last second.
    I was supposed to join up with the Indy z club and come down with them, but I missed the connection by about 5 minutes. It took me about 75 miles to catch up to them, but I finally did-and I felt better traveling in a group incase something went wrong with the car. The pace was faster then I wanted with an untested car, but my car does like to cruise at highway speed. We must have averaged 75mph, which was about 85mph on my speedo. Good thing about that was I couldn't here that damn diff noise.
    What was really cool was that I made it all the way on 1 tank of gas. My odometer showed close to 350 miles, which is a little inaccurate because of the speedo being off, but it is pretty close since mapquest showed this to be a 300 mile trip(and I started with about 40 miles on that tank).I didn't fill up to check mileage because I didn't want all that weight, but I must have got +25mpg minimum. That BWt-5 with overdrive is great. I will check the mileage on the trip home.

Everyone is great and this is a lot of fun. Going to the track tomorrow-to watch-I'm not ready for prime time yet. My rear tires bottom out in the wheel well so I guess it's ZG time. If I hadn't got greedy with tire size(245/17/45) and went with maybe 235's I might have cleared. You can't hardly see on the tire where it rubbs, but in an autocross style race it might be worse.

I hope everyone shares the luck I've had in making it here-and back home. I will post some pictures soon.
    Steve
    3.90 Subaru STI LSD

Member ID
    CZCC-16096

Steve your car looks fantastic. Job well done!

"May the traffic be light and the curves be tight."

"72" 240-Z
    "02" E46 M3
    "05" S40 T5
    "02" Honda Passport

Thread Information