Thread: White interior?

Member ID
    CZCC-23981

Default White interior?

Ok...new to the forum and have a question...is a white interior worth keeping? I must admit that with my limited 240Z experience I have seen few cars with white interiors and lots with black ones. My personal preference is a black interior, but I am also a "purist" (previous experience with Camaros and Mustangs...please don't hate me) and am leaning towards the white interior if it can be resurrected to look showroom new once more. The current interior looks like hell...white vinyl on the tunnel is streaked with brown, buckets are shot, and the rear plastic trim is basically tan and falling apart. Can the white vinyl pieces still be sourced, or can black pieces be dyed or painted to look halfway decent? I have already spent about $500 on Ebay buying black pieces and buckets, but they can be resold to recoup most of my outlay. The headliner is in great shape, and the door panels are only needing the chrome srips redone. My '72 is an original paint code 110 (red-orange), and I see that it is one of the few colors a white interior could be purchased with. I do not plan to have a concours car, but rather a very nice driver for shows and Sundays...it doesn't have to be perfect. Gentlemen, is a white interior worth saving?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6389.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	41636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6391.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	41637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6392.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	41638  

Member ID
    CZCC-14427
    Denmark - in front of my coffee, behind the laptop

Of course it is, you can get almost all the black pieces you want as nepro from the vendors.
    I have butterscotch and love it, only advantage i see in black is the avalability.

Chris
    -73 240Z HLS30-171039
    -66 Roadster SPL311-05204

Member ID
    CZCC-21253

My car originally came with a white interior. The PO installed a black interior and I really wish he didn't. A white interior is a unique as the car itself (more so in NJ then OR).

If I was building a project from scratch (which I hope to soon), I'd choose butterscotch or tan. So white wouldn't be my first choice.
    Gary
    Guardian of HLS30-91415
    Previous Owner of a 10/70 240Z ('83-'85)

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

The plastic panels in my 73 looked just like yours, until I sprayed them with SEM Vinyl Dye '15103 Super White', they turned out great. Covers well, very tough.

The staining on the tunnel is from the interaction of the glue and the fake jute / fake horse hair insulation under the vinyl. It may get destroyed when you take the vinyl off. The vinyl on mine was not as bad and cleaned up fairly well, but does not match the plastic. In time the rest of the interior will get SEM'd. (Still up in the air: white seats? or black seats?)

The least expensive route to go, or think about. Use your black buckets and SEM the plastic & vinyl on the white parts, may not need to do the headliner. The blue plastic strip could be done in the exterior color. Just a thought.

Bonzi Lon
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

I have used the SEM Dye in the past and it is excellent - it will not peel - scrape - flake. It is a great bond just so you prep it correctly. Keep the temp up and have fun!
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-23981

Guys, thanks for the great advice. Another question...does anyone produce really nice white bucket seat kits that look factory correct? Is there a good source for the white vinyl diamond pieces? I will have to replace several of the rear plastic pieces due to brittleness from sun exposure (this car spent its life in CA, WY, TX, and SC...first owner was a USAF officer who was at several duty stations before moving back home to SC). I would like to keep everything as factory correct as possible (probably including the 4-speed and the rev-happy 2.4). BTW, there is no "Z clunk" in the rear-end...good, yes?

Member ID
    CZCC-17702

Hi 24,

My opinion, and I am biased. Absolutely keep the white! 110 color code and white interior; nothing finer! (I have two of these cars). I recently bought as new reproduction every single piece of the white to go into the car I am restoring-refreshing. I purchased the plastics from Les Cannady at Classic Datsun and the seat coves, vinyl, head liner from Motorsports. I am VERY pleased with both. The 72's have an "white" and the later have an "off white" which DO NOT MATCH. Even though I bought from two vendors, the colors were a perfect match. You can't tell the seat covers from the orignals. The plastics were all black and were painted, but they are that way in my original car too. I bought new because they were so brittle and had bits and pieces broken away.

I'd be happy to share experiences and photos if you want to send a PM. Contrats on the car by the way, and welcome!

Leonard

72 240Z HLS30 49052 110 Persimmons/white stick
    72 240Z HLS30 70087 110 Persimmons/white auto 43K
    77 280Z HLS30 400336
    77 280Z Turbo HLS30 369869
    57 Volvo 444K
    57 IHS120
    85 500 SEC

Member ID
    CZCC-23981

Leonard:
    I saw your Z for sale in the classifieds...a beautiful car (and amazing mileage!). I will contact Les and get the seat covers first. My car's door panles are nearly perfect...they just need the chrome strips redone. I will post photos as the work prgresses.
    Alex

Member ID
    CZCC-17702

It amazes me, I haven't gotten a single response on the car. I drove it last night to an out of town banquet. Awesome. If I didn't have both cars, I wouldn't try to sell this one. And still may not. I know I'll never find another like it. Even my 'pretty' one won't be the same as an "original one". I even have the original steel wheels and hubcaps (in well above average condition). Guess it is too much money?

Les has great stuff and my experience is pretty much the same as everyone else. He isn't the greatest communicator. I'd still absolutely work with him, just be prepared to accept it won't be overnight. Or two. Or three.

77 280Z HLS30 400336
    57 Volvo 444K
    57 IHS120
    85 500 SEC

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Ounces View Post
    Guys, thanks for the great advice. Another question...does anyone produce really nice white bucket seat kits that look factory correct? Is there a good source for the white vinyl diamond pieces? I will have to replace several of the rear plastic pieces due to brittleness from sun exposure (this car spent its life in CA, WY, TX, and SC...first owner was a USAF officer who was at several duty stations before moving back home to SC). I would like to keep everything as factory correct as possible (probably including the 4-speed and the rev-happy 2.4). BTW, there is no "Z clunk" in the rear-end...good, yes?
    Classic Datsun Motorsports (aka CDM, http://classicdatsun.com/ ) has white seat covers, replacement foam, diamond trim and replacement plastic all listed on their website.

I've not seen their white seat covers in person, but I have seen theirs in black, and they were a near perfect match to my originals. When I do replace mine, those are what I'll use. I imagine that the rest of the parts are probably of equal quality.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoKidd View Post
    It amazes me, I haven't gotten a single response on the car. I drove it last night to an out of town banquet. Awesome. If I didn't have both cars, I wouldn't try to sell this one. And still may not. I know I'll never find another like it. Even my 'pretty' one won't be the same as an "original one". I even have the original steel wheels and hubcaps (in well above average condition). Guess it is too much money?
    I don't think so. The price is right in the ball park. I think the issue is two things - one is the Northern Idaho location. The other is that - despite the fact that we all look at them, I don't think our classifieds here are widely read. For parts and such, they are a great deal. But for entire cars - maybe not so much. Have you posted it any where else?
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-834

Thanks for the kind words I think!! My apologies for both being slow to communicate and slow on some of the items. Being a smaller shop I cannot afford to inventory everything in every color and hope that someday I may sell it. Which leaves us dealing with vendors who also do not communicate well with us sometimes to tell us they are moving the factory and will be down for 6 weeks. All in all I try to create the best stuff possible and only stuff I would use on my restorations is what I would consider selling to my customers. We have been through a tough many months since thanksgiving when I nearly lost my sister and then lost an uncle 2 days after christmas and my aunt on feb 4th so all is better now and I will empty my answer machine and try to catch your calls as we finish a new orange 72 240Z.
    Les
    Les Cannaday
    Classic Datsun Mtrspts
    345 Olive Ave
    Vista, CA 92083
    (760) 940-6365

Member ID
    CZCC-23981

Hey Les...I will be in touch to order the parts necessary for my white interior. I found your website and the 240Z parts for sale. Could you post some photos of the orange 240Z restoration...I'm intersted in seeing how it turns out. Your website seems to be geared more towards 1600 Roadsters than 240Zs, but I know you are very familiar with Zs since Nissan went through you for much of their refurb program in the late '90s. What is the approx. turnaround time on a paint job (including jambs) and nothing else? I am wary about having my car painted around here (Columbus, OH) and would be willing to go through the time and expenditure necessary to have the work done properly. My car is rust free and only has minor dings (I know there can always be hidden damage in old project cars). Do you prefer base-coat clear-coat, or single stage paints like urethane? I lived for many years in the SD area (USN) and still have a couple of old shipmates who live in the area that I could stay with for a couple of days if necessary (great excuse to go to some of our old drinking joints in the Gaslamp Quarter and National City...aka "Nasty City").

Member ID
    CZCC-23981

BTW, Arne...thanks for the link!

Member ID
    CZCC-17702

Arne,

No, I haven't posted it elsewhere, not even the local craigslist. Tells you how bad I want to sell it! I am terrified that someone will buy it, and gut it, put in a small block or someother hybrid set up and that would be beyond a shame. My daughter will graduate college in another year and a half. Maybe I'll give it to her if it doesn't sell.

Les, I still don't have my car assembled. Too many irons in the fire but finally convinced the docs are going to let me live. It is all a matter of assembly now. All the pieces are there. Somewhere.

24, I used a single stage Valspar (my painter did) on my car. It was the type of paint used originally and I have seen way to many clear coats fail. My Benz is an example that breaks my heart. Not all clear coats fail, but too many for my taste. Plus, it is more forgiving come touch up time.

77 280Z HLS30 400336
    57 Volvo 444K
    57 IHS120
    85 500 SEC

Member ID
    CZCC-22603

Keep it white. Not only will it be a lot cooler to sit on, It's more unique and correct for your car. FWIW, my 280 has a white interior, but came with black carpet.
    1978 280z 4sp

Member ID
    CZCC-4964

The interior paints/dyes are very good. I agree with everyone above. Keep it white and paint the parts that don't look clean anymore. My 240Z was originally silver with a red interior and the PO painted the outside red and the inside black. Although nice looking, I wish it was still Silver/Red, a classy combination IMHO, as is your car.
    Dave C, Putnam, NY
    NYZCC - Membership Director

Member ID
    CZCC-17097

SEM Super White FTW!

I painted all of my black (and blue dyed, thanks P.O.) interior panels with the stuff and it's very nearly an exact match to the vinyl. The plastic panels are a mix of repro and originals while the dogleg panels, hatch piece, vinyl kit and headliner / a pillar pieces were ordered new from MSA. The door panels were dyed too (originally butterscotch from a '73). All I need now is white seat upholstery.

Here's a picture when I was putting the Z all back together a few months ago. I don't happen to have any others on hand at the moment.

'72 240Z - F54, P79, '78 5 Speed, 3.9 R200

Member ID
    CZCC-23981

That white is absolutely beautiful...I'm sold, I will keep the int. white!

Member ID
    CZCC-14427
    Denmark - in front of my coffee, behind the laptop

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Ounces View Post
    That white is absolutely beautiful...I'm sold, I will keep the int. white!
    Good choice
    -73 240Z HLS30-171039
    -66 Roadster SPL311-05204

Thread Information