Thread: 1970 240Z carpet kit

Member ID
    CZCC-17354

Default 1970 240Z carpet kit

Hey Guys,
    Take a look at the photos in the link below. I think that somehow I screwed up in the process of doing the interior. I purchased the 5 piece carpet kit from the Zstore and the vinyl kit from blackdragon. The carpets are just floor mats. There are nothing under the seat. I have the black sill plate that are to hold down carpet. What carpet? the carpet does not reach up to the door sill. I want to use it. an also the chrome datsun logo kick plate. Pls tell me what went wrong here. I am thinking that I should of bought some other carpet pieces. I need to insulates more areas I think. Please help. Anyway i have about maybe a month to finish this car.

http://s347.photobucket.com/albums/p...0carpet%20kit/
    "Remember hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies"

1970 240Z Restoration

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

That is correct. The original carpets were just those mats. They did not go under the seat, nor up the sill. I know that for certain, as I still have mine packed up in the garage.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-17354

WOW, that is sucks. I should have done some homework before I did the interior restoration. Ok, I am taking the lost. What should I do for the future since I am not going to tackle this right now. I need to drive this car. I need carpet up the door sill under the seat. what kit available for me and easy to install and does it goes over the vinyls.
    "Remember hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies"

1970 240Z Restoration

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Well, without getting into the question of why you "NEED" carpet under the seat and up the sills (most 240Zs don't have any, mine certainly doesn't), or why the lack of such carpet will prevent you from driving the car, my best guess would be that a molded carpet kit for a '75-76 280Z might be able to be modified to fit. There will be differences, especially where the tool covers attach behind the seats. But that's probably still the closest you will find.

Member ID
    CZCC-7115

I wish the new sets would come with loops and were more accurate otherwise I'd get them from you. On the door sill theirs is a vinyl piece, personaly I like the carpets the way they are. I'm tall so they allow me to take them out to clean with stiff brush.

Member ID
    CZCC-7454

I have a NOS set, (with 72 at Classic Datsun Motorsports), but the mats behind your seats do not look right. They do not go under the seats but should go up to the bulkhead behind the seats. But I am comparing them to the Series II, the difference could be the tool box locations. JLP
    Last edited by JLPurcell; 05-14-2011 at 04:53 AM.
    Jerry Purcell
    1970 HLS30 00029 Owner since 1976 Now owned by Les Canaday (Classic Datsun Motorsports)
    1972 HLS30 93606 IZCC Registion #105 Original owner back home after full restoration by Classic Datsun Motorsports

Member ID
    CZCC-7301

ajmcforester,
    My understanding is that CHESTER & HEROD AUTO CARPET still made an accurately appearing carpet kit. Unfortunately, their website http://autockm.com/ no longer is active.
    Keith

Member ID
    CZCC-22303

Here is another source for very authentic interior soft parts, Seatz Mfg. In addition to seat covers and carpets, he has the diamond fabric made up for the tranny tunnel and rear wheel arches, pebble grain strips for the inside rockers, and more. I already have his seat covers and soon to order the 5-piece looped carpet set to complete my interior. The contact is:

Bryan Rolfe
    Seatz Manufacturing
    800-235-8974

http://www.seatzmfg.com/seatz/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Jim

Jim Arnett
    HLS30-15320 12/1970, original owner
    L24-020208 (original)
    IZCC Original Owner Registry #53

Member ID
    CZCC-17354

Ok, so the original 240z did not come with an inner sill plate? If they did not make carpet that goes up to the door sill. I do not know why I purchased sill plate. I am confused and Once I am done with this car, I will figure out something to do in the future. If anyone can post good pictures of inside their 240z with carpet, vinyls ect. witll help. Thanks.

http://s347.photobucket.com/albums/p...0carpet%20kit/
    Last edited by Arne; 05-15-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: adding

1970 240Z Restoration

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

The inner (black) sill plate holds down the weatherstrip, and covers the edge of the inner sill textured vinyl.

I can't recall that I've ever taken a picture that shows that area clearly. I'll have to dig around.

Member ID
    CZCC-23740

Ripped all my original but tatty interior out yesterday.
    Rear carpet doesn't go under the seat.
    Fronts are just like carpet over mats
    Door sill is thick vinyl/rubber
    There is a black inner sill plate that goes over the door apperture seal....mine were very rsty but thankfully there is no rot at all in the car. Thanks to the dry state of CA.

Member ID
    CZCC-2148

Quote Originally Posted by zed2 View Post
    ajmcforester,
    My understanding is that CHESTER & HEROD AUTO CARPET still made an accurately appearing carpet kit. Unfortunately, their website http://autockm.com/ no longer is active.
    Keith
    Keith, Chester & Herod auto carpet is still in Escondido, just google chester & Herod for contact info.

Dan

Member ID
    CZCC-22828

I am confused to what exactly your question is. From your picture the only trim piece you seem to be missing is the chrome sill plate that says datsun. As for carpet you have the correct kit for your year.
    1971 240z White VIN: HLS30 10068 L24 013529 E31 09/70

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

There is/was a kit available that had two extra rectangular pieces to fit under the seat between the front and rear seat mounts. I have that set and all those pieces are are rectangular pieces of carpet. They do "add" to the interior in making it a bit quieter. As to where they came from, alas, I can't help you. I bought my set used from someone on e-bay who had bought the cut pile set and did not like it (it wasn't the OEM style) and he decided to swap the set just a few months after buying it. My gain for his losss.

FWIW
    E

Member ID
    CZCC-17354

Hey Kal,
    I just had a problem understanding why the carpet kit was just floor mats. The guy working on the car kept telling me that I purchased the wrong kit. He also could not understand why the description of the black sill plate states that it is used to hold down the carpet but there is no carpet to hold down. He also think that just the carpet mats not enough to insulates the car from noises and heat but no biggie from all the response I got the car will be as is until the future. I am now concentrating on getting it out of the shop. will deal with that issue just leisure time. Thanks a lot all of you for clarification because I even called thezstore about the kit I bought from them but they said the same that it how its suppose to be.

1970 240Z Restoration

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

I am installing exactly the same on a resto. For sound insulation I will use either peel and seal (Home Depot roofing section) and/or foil backed bubble wrap (Duct Insulation Wrap).

Here is a sample of peel and seal:

Here is what the duct insulation bubble foil looks like:
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

Member ID
    CZCC-22303

I cannot speak to the peel-and-stick but be cautious in using bubble foil. It will break down from heat over time and it will crush everywhere you apply any weight.

An option I located and used is 1/4" closed-cell polyethelene foil. It will not break down or crush, and it provides a R-factor of 15.7 and noise reduction of 19dBA. The product name is Prodex, I bought it from this site:

http://www.insulation4less.com/Default.aspx

Here are a couple of shots of my interior. I used 3M spray adhesive to install it.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05. Firewall insulation complete.jpg 
Views:	709 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	45395   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03. Rear insulation complete.jpg 
Views:	606 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	45396  

Jim Arnett
    L24-020208 (original)

Member ID
    CZCC-17354

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey this is amazing. I wish I knew about it a few months ago. I am going to show my guy your pctures and see if we can at least do the floors, underneath the seats and behind the seats and trunk. Great stuff, looks good. Believe me, I am impressed.

1970 240Z Restoration

Member ID
    CZCC-11460

I'm about ready to give up on you kids. It's a 30+ yr old sports car. Show some respect for what it was. It was built with floor mats for carpet, it had 14" wheels not 20's; The car has a light weight frame and body that was never ment for 600 hp twin turbo what evers. Sure you can mod it but to what end. I see these ridiculous posts about slamming it to the ground and dropping in motor so you can do around 200 mph all based on a car that someone got for 400 bucks. A total rust bucket on top of that. And then you wonder why your hacked up idea of the ultimate street racer will only get you 5 grand on Ebay, if that, when you have 25 g's in it. You know why a 64 Ferrari is worth $200,000 , it's because the owner kept it as a 64 Ferrari and didn't try to build in into an Enzo. I saw an early Ferrari on Ebay not to long ago and the Bozo who owned it had a SBC in it, everything else was nice on the car. He wanted around 20 grand for it and it was not bringing bids. Tell you anything. If you have to build it, do a proper build. If you want a race car then build a race car for the race track. I would like to see these cars start to become real collector cars, but it's not going to happen if the car isn't treated as a real collector car. Sorry for that rant, must have been a bad week to read posts on the boards.
    HLS30-143697 1973 110 ORANGE
    Period correct performance restoration
    Sanyo Sport kit induction, Datsun Comp exhaust. Datsun Comp internals. "C" grind cam
    Mallory DP ignition W/ Pertronix kit. Koni struts, Koni RallySport springs. Euro rear sway bar
    Who said they don't build em like they use to.

Torch Wielding Villager gogriz91's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-2233

Can moisture get in between the sound deadening and the metal causing it to rust prematurely not unlike the jute? Just curious.
    '73 HLS30 129806 ; L-28, street cam, SUs, 5-speed, Koni's, Suspension techniques springs, swaybars, 3.90 R200 LSD

Heavily medicated for your protection

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

If, unlike Nissan, you first apply some rust-protecting paint, then NO, you shouldn't have any problem.

I qualify that shouldn't because rust protecting paint is only as good as the rust preventing process you did before paint. Too many people clean off the paint, tar, primer etc, shoot it with Rust-O-Leum and call it permanently rust-proofed. While that's a good basic protection, it's not the forever type of protection (by the way, there is no PERMANENT rust-proofing).

There are various products out there, Zero Rust, Rust Mort, Rust Bullet, POR, to name but a few. Some depend heavily on preparation some depend on multiple coatings, some depend on top-coats, but ALL of them are at best temporary. The trick is to find and use the one with the LONGEST service life. Which one will usually depend on money and your willingness to do more than a simple vacuum and paint.

But, if you apply a good rust-protectant, after a good rust-preventative process and you take care not to encapsulate water / moisture between the covering and the floor, you should be good for years.

FWIW
    E

Member ID
    CZCC-23740

Personally I would avoid covering the floor in anything that cant be lifted for drying out.

Member ID
    CZCC-17354

My car is original as it gets. The things that I changed are that I added a body kit. I also painted the car the Lambo yellow and its because yellow is my favorite color and i wanted that type of yellow. Somehow, I got confused about the carpet kit and the guy who is working on the car for me kept telling me that I bought the wrong kit. After bringing this issue here and calling Thezstore; I found out that my mechanic is wrong. True, the car is 40 years old but by having discussions gives many options to anyone who would like to do different things. I personally like the car the way it is. I did not know what to do with the black sill plate until bringing this issue here for discussion because Ebay, Thezstore and and other sites states that it is for holding the carpet down. My mechanic and I got confused about it until now. Tks guys.

1970 240Z Restoration

Member ID
    CZCC-22303

Here is link to the photos of my floor pan refurb. As our moderator says, it is all in the prep. I used the POR-15 products to clean, neutralize, then protect the exposed metal. I had some oil-based paint tinted to match the car and applied that for the final finish - not that any of it will be visible after the insulation went down and the carpet will finish it off. But... at least I know it looks nice down there.

http://s572.photobucket.com/albums/s...rpan%20Refurb/

Jim

Jim Arnett
    L24-020208 (original)

Member ID
    CZCC-24478

Jim, nice work on your Z, looks very nice and I like that heat/ sound insulation on top of the prep work. Thanks for sharing the photos. Chachacourt, can you post pictures as you do more on the car? looking good! Thanks

Thread Information