Thread: Installing KYB struts & Eibach Springs: Reassembly.

Member ID
    CZCC-21670

Default Installing KYB struts & Eibach Springs: Reassembly.

I thought I saw somewhere that with lowering springs you didn't need a strut spring compressor. I can't get the strut mount to compress enough to get the lock nut started on the strut shaft.

Also my new strut boots included these new yellow bumpers. I installed them on the new boots as instructed on the strut boot box but didn't recall seeing any sort of bumper or bump stop when I took the suspension all apart last month. Should this be installed? I thought originally I saw a zip tie holding the boot to the spring cap?
    1977 280Z 5 Speed
    HLS30-388451

Do you know where my Grandpa's 240z is? He sold it around 1994. I think it was a 72. It was orange with black interior and some sort of scissors style aftermarket crank up sunroof. I think it was sold to a fellow pharmacist and I think he was from Egg Harbor Wisconsin. At the time the car had between 32-36k original miles. He sold it for the lowly sum of $3000-$3500. My grandpa passed away a few years ago and I would like to know its whereabouts.

Member ID
    CZCC-18385

Depends on the springs, when I did mine I used msa springs and they did not need a comprsssor, As for the bump stops use them, your old ones probably rotted and fell off,don't know about the zip ties.

Member ID
    CZCC-21519

How did you get the old springs off without a spring compressor?

Member ID
    CZCC-8342

Hi Ben, I installed the KYB/Eibach combo on my'73. I did have to use a sring compressor (got it free from Autozone). I put the boots on with a zip tie at the bottom. Hope this helps.
    Cheers, Mike
    '73 240Z, 80,000 original miles, F54, N42 massaged and shaved (10.5-1 comp.), stage 2 cam, ZX ignition, Header, 2 1/2" exhaust w/ magnaflow muffler, 5 spd (Maxima), 4:11 R180 (200SX), 15" Rota RBs 205-60/15 Bridgestone Grid 109s, KYB struts, stock springs, rubber bushings, MSA sway bars and strut bars, HotRod Air hvac system, '90 300ZX seats, upgraded sound system, BRE-type spook and spoiler

Member ID
    CZCC-21670

I will go get the one I rented from O'Reilly's again to put these on. As far as the bump stop, the new bump stop and boot came with a plastic ring that snaps over the bump stop and then the outside of that plastic ring fit in a groove in the rubber boot. The boot also seems awfully tight inside the coil spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop's Z View Post
    Hi Ben, I installed the KYB/Eibach combo on my'73. I did have to use a sring compressor (got it free from Autozone). I put the boots on with a zip tie at the bottom. Hope this helps.
    Cheers, Mike
    1977 280Z 5 Speed
    HLS30-388451

Do you know where my Grandpa's 240z is? He sold it around 1994. I think it was a 72. It was orange with black interior and some sort of scissors style aftermarket crank up sunroof. I think it was sold to a fellow pharmacist and I think he was from Egg Harbor Wisconsin. At the time the car had between 32-36k original miles. He sold it for the lowly sum of $3000-$3500. My grandpa passed away a few years ago and I would like to know its whereabouts.

Member ID
    CZCC-15388

You will need a spring compressor to get the top of the struts back into the tower. I found the back struts could be be muscled-in without using the compressors, but not the fronts, even after cutting one coil from the springs to get the car to sit level.
    Julio
    1972 240Z (in-progress, 95% complete)
    CZC# 15388

Member ID
    CZCC-21670

So I got most all my rear chassis parts media blasted and painted. I put most of it back together today: diff, diff mount, mustache bar, "L Brackets", control arms etc etc. Today for the first time I kept looking at those control arms thinking "it looks like I have two lefts or two rights" I had to go back to my before pictures I posted on another thread to look; but it appears from my old photos that the control arm on one side "looks" like it is in upside down,if you put it in the way the other side is the spindle would be way towards the front of the car and vice a versa. I don't have two left or two right control arms do I? I can't imagine the car would have been normal at all like this. I wouldn't think Nissan did this as a cost savings measure because one side of the inner control arm bushing tube is longer than the other.
    1977 280Z 5 Speed
    HLS30-388451

Member ID
    CZCC-14932

No, you have the correct control arms, one is flipped and goes upside down compared to the other side.
    1977 280Z
    I'm great at taking my Z apart, putting it back together has been a whole different story.

Member ID
    CZCC-21670

Any ideas why they did this?

Quote Originally Posted by MEZZZ View Post
    No, you have the correct control arms, one is flipped and goes upside down compared to the other side.
    1977 280Z 5 Speed
    HLS30-388451

Member ID
    CZCC-21519

Quote Originally Posted by Ben's Z View Post
    Any ideas why they did this?
    It is cheaper. Only one item to tool up to make, inventory, etc.

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Quote Originally Posted by Ben's Z View Post
    I wouldn't think Nissan did this as a cost savings measure because one side of the inner control arm bushing tube is longer than the other.
    Why not? It's a smart design, flip the arm and it fits the other side.

Thread Information