Thread: Arne answers questions.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Default Arne answers questions.

In an effort to stem the tide of PMs and emails, here is a summary of answers to the questions I've been getting:

Yes, that is my 240Z on eBay.

Yes, I really am trying to sell it.

No, I don't have to sell it. This is not a forced sale due to health, job, financial situation, etc. I'm selling because I have a short automotive attention span, and I've been part of the Z community for 6 years now. Time to move to something new, fresh challenges and new things to learn.

No, keeping the Z while adding something new isn't feasible. If I get something new, the Z will just sit, ignored. I'm rather single-focused.

No, I haven't made any firm decisions on what will be next, except that it won't be similar to anything I've done before. I need something new to me.

No, I really doubt that I'll disappear from this site totally - I've got friends here.
    Arne - Former owner, HLS30-37705, 7/71, 905 Red
    Car blogs - 240Z - Porsche 911

Member ID
    CZCC-5413

As long as you're answering questions...

Why is the sky blue?

Did Ted Turner really invent color?

Why are hotdogs sold in packs of 10, yet hotdog buns are sold in packs of 8?
    73 240Z
    74 260Z

Blue's collection of tech tips - A great place to look for answers
    XenonS30 -The cheap source for FSMs
    Georgia Z Club
    Fiddling with Z Cars - Z car tips & tricks and pictures of my car-loving life.
    Steve's CARtography - Just car pictures.

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Lotus Europa would be an interesting "next" project. I beams and fiberglass.
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

Member ID
    CZCC-17507

I'd hate to see you go. You've been a big help to me over the last few years. Thanks for all your input!

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Lotus Europa would be an interesting "next" project. I beams and fiberglass.
    Indeed. Although I think I'd rather have an early Esprit. Pretty much the same thing underneath...

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

This one is near me. I was sort of thinking of it but nahhh it is British and only 4 cylinder.

If you are interested I could check it out and photo-document http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/2591306198.html

I helped a member of the Calgary Z club get a Pantera near me in 2005

For low priced cool cars like the Z, there are not many... maybe an Opel GT but the performance just isn't there.

Ok an AMC Javelin (I always like that odd ball).

Or maybe: http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html

Do like I did and spend $10k on an S2000. You can have fun and think about it for a year then sell the S2000 for what you invested once you have a target.
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

My buddy had a Factory 5 that was a great build for him - until some Bitc$ rear-ended him and pushed him into a F-150 pickup that hit him head on. One hell of a car - he walked away ( a little neck injury). Great kit though and well designed (evidently)!

Arne - thanks for all you do for this site - your knowledge and car has been an inspiration for all of us!
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-15388

Arne,

Thanks for all the advice over the last few years. I do hope you hang around to continue sharing your knowledge.

For your next project how about a 2000 roadster, or perhaps Emma Peel's Lotus Elan or Maxwell Smart's Suneam Tiger?
    Or if the coffers are full, perhaps a 308 Ferrari? (I'm assuming a 246 Dino is out of the question).

Julio
    Julio
    1972 240Z (in-progress, 95% complete)
    CZC# 15388

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Not a Roadster, too similar to the MGB I restored in the early '90s. In fact, it would take a rather special car to get me into another soft-top of any make, being as how I drive my project/hobby cars year-round here in Western Oregon. Not enough top-down time to be worth it.

The Ferrari is an intriguing thought. Another recurring possibility is a 911 of some vintage. I've loved those since I was in junior high in the early '70s.

Member ID
    CZCC-17418

Arne,

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw your car on ebay!

Thanks for all of your advice--especially with roof replacement. Best of luck with any project you select-- I'm sure it will turn out as impressive as your Z.

Rich

Torch Wielding Villager gogriz91's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-2233

Gorgeous car, good luck with sale, wonder what the next project will be.
    '73 HLS30 129806 ; L-28, street cam, SUs, 5-speed, Koni's, Suspension techniques springs, swaybars, 3.90 R200 LSD

Heavily medicated for your protection

Member ID
    CZCC-1542

Arne:
    I have been building Porsche race engines for Rothsport in Tualatin for quite a few years now. If you decide to build a kraut car, stop in and look me up. Other than sticking the engine in back, the biggest difference between Datsun and Porsche, is Porsche parts cost more.
    Phred
    http://rothsport-racing.com/

Supporting Member Zedyone_kenobi's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Arne, I will be sad to see you go man. Your car and my car may have been made on the same day they were so close. Your advice has always been helpful to me and I appreciate everything you have done.

I just have one other thing to say.

Alfa GTV 1750
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691
    93.9% done and getting better every day
    Now with 100% more DATSUN SPIRIT L28 Power
    1968 Datsun 2000 SRL311-03416

Member ID
    CZCC-15388

I'll second the Alpha GTV. Very cool cars. Or how about an Avanti?
    Julio
    1972 240Z (in-progress, 95% complete)
    CZC# 15388

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

I'm not saying good bye 'cause I know you can't shake the addiction. Mark my words prodigal son Arne

Member ID
    CZCC-10534

Arne, did you ever own and enjoy a particular motorcycle back in the day? If so, that's something you might consider getting your hands on and restoring back to its glory days. There are plenty of 70's bikes still around and the restoration costs for the most part are a heck of alot cheaper than doing a car.

The only negative I see, is that the enjoyment/ride time of the finished product would be about the same as having a convertible in your neck of the woods.

Just thought I'd throw something different out there for you to consider, good luck finding another project that makes you happy.
    Last edited by moonpup; 09-16-2011 at 07:24 AM.
    1971 240Z Tenth Anniversary
    1975 280 Zzzap
    1977 280 ZXR

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

@phred - If I go that direction, I'll get in touch. Although, because of other things going on in my life now, I may have to go with less of a project, something more ready to drive in fairly short order. So I'd be looking more for PPI, not rebuild advice.

@zedyone - Yeah, there are several Alfas that could be fun. Good thought. Not too crazy about the Avanti. Nice looking, but not my style of car.

@Blue - Perhaps. Yes, I've been addicted for decades. Not to Zs specifically, but to motor vehicles in general.

@moonpup - My current motorcycle is a BMW K75-RT. Bought it new in '93. Still have it, still ride it. I have considered restoring an old 4-cyl KZ, had several of those back in the late '70s and on through the '80s. But again, I'd rather concentrate on something new to me, not try to re-live something I've already done.
    Last edited by Arne; 09-16-2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: fix typo

Member ID
    CZCC-6558

link to the ebay listing?

Member ID
    CZCC-17329

If you have not had one, I'd second a Giulia 1600 stepnose or GTA clone. Tons of value for money. Early 911s are great as well, but parts are slightly more expensive. I've owned both a giulia GTV and a 73 911, and they are truly fantastic machines, with rabid followings (almost to a fault).

Member ID
    CZCC-5413

Quote Originally Posted by ta240 View Post
    link to the ebay listing?
    It's not like there are that many 240Zs listed on eBay with a seller in Springfield, Oregon. I found it easily enough.
    73 240Z
    74 260Z

Blue's collection of tech tips - A great place to look for answers
    XenonS30 -The cheap source for FSMs
    Georgia Z Club
    Fiddling with Z Cars - Z car tips & tricks and pictures of my car-loving life.
    Steve's CARtography - Just car pictures.

Member ID
    CZCC-6558

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    It's not like there are that many 240Zs listed on eBay with a seller in Springfield, Oregon. I found it easily enough.
    :P

Didn't think it would be hard to find, just thought a thread about the car selling might include a link to it. We aren't here to share information on all topics?

Especially with 319 views already, I didn't see a reason to make everyone search for it. Unless there is some reason not to include it in the post.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-...item1c1eee2301

Trevor
    Not an original signature by me but somewhat fitting:
    Look at your post, now back to mine, now back to your post, now back to mine. Sadly, it isn't mine, but if you stopped being nonconstructive and dumb and started posting about something that makes sense, it could look like it's mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a page with the post your post could look like. Anything is possible when you post like me, and not like an idiot. I'm on a forum.
    Last edited by ta240; 09-16-2011 at 12:09 PM.
    New Site in the works!
    http://www.240Z.me

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by ta240 View Post
    ...just thought a thread about the car selling might include a link to it
    I didn't start the thread to promote the car, but to address the questions I was getting from people who had seen it. So I didn't feel linking to the auction was necessary, nor does it feel appropriate for me - as an admin here - to post it myself.
    Last edited by Arne; 09-16-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-13541

Porche 914 or a Triumph GT6 I've driven the Porche 914 recently and i Loved it! Very nice car but i Like the lines of the GT6 better.
    Speeding is fun,
    As long as you out run,
    The cops! ! !

~Z~ Seek Truth

ウイングゼロ 競争 GangLoadOParts.com

Member ID
    CZCC-7975

Best of luck selling the car Arne. I hate to see you sell it, but if that is your wish, I hope there is a buyer out there that will pay you what it's worth.
    Jeff
    Northville, Michigan
    IZCC #1285
    '78 280 10:1 CR, Arizona Z Car header, urethane bushings, Tokico springs, Illumina struts, Panasports w/Hankook R-S2 225/50R16 tires, Maxima 105 amp alternator
    http://www.classiczcars.com/photopos...00&ppuser=7975
    '74 260Z BRE look-alike crap can for Optima Batteries ChumpCar World Series Racing racing
    https://www.facebook.com/Jeff.Grauer

Member ID
    CZCC-24603

Quote Originally Posted by WingZr0 View Post
    Porche 914 or a Triumph GT6 I've driven the Porche 914 recently and i Loved it! Very nice car but i Like the lines of the GT6 better.
    I second the 914, I've owned for a year or so and restored it for cheap. They are in the price range as a 240z and a blast to drive! I would look for one thats spent its life a little south from you Arne since rust is a major problem for them. Good luck!
    Chase
    1972 240z 51K original miles
    1976 Datsun 620 pickup
    1991 BMW 3 series - Daily Driver
    1974 Porsche 914 1.8

Member ID
    CZCC-5121

Whatever you decide on, I too hope you'll stick around. GLWS.
    Jon

Member ID
    CZCC-7110

How about an early BMW 2002? Fun, cheap four seater. I put the m42 twin cam, header, from a '91 318is, all electronics, etc., R&P, lsd, over 2 years ago and have really enjoyed it for a daily driver with good mpg and quickness. Working on interior at present. '76, last year. Thinking of SC, next, maybe. Sturdy, takes everything I do to it. Anyway, I admire your determination to do something totally different. Good feature in a grown-up, I was going to say, an old guy, but I graduated from hs in '71, so maybe we don't like the reference. Other than the '70 Z I had when I was 19, the '71 Pantera that blew that Z off the interstate once has always been an infatuation. Good luck with your next project.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Re: BMW 2002 - too similar to the E21 323i I had a few years before the Z. Kick in the pants, actually. For those in the USA who might not be familiar with the early 323i, imagine an old 320i with small chrome bumpers, 4-wheel disc brakes and a 2.3 liter inline six. Mine had (when I finished it) factory Recaros, Alpina/Bilstein suspension, LSD and staggered 15" BBS wheels and tires. Great fun.

But BTDT, still have the t-shirt. Need to move forward, not back.

Member ID
    CZCC-24603

Arne maybe you should post a list of everything you've owned. Seems like all the suggestions on here are cars/bikes you've already had in the past!
    1976 Datsun 620 pickup
    1974 Porsche 914 1.8

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by CW240Z View Post
    Arne maybe you should post a list of everything you've owned. Seems like all the suggestions on here are cars/bikes you've already had in the past!
    No, I don't think I will. I wasn't really looking for suggestions, but the ones offered here so far make for an interesting read. Good stuff.

Member ID
    CZCC-2520

Hey there Arne,
    You and everyone else might think I'm crazy, (and you could very well be right), but I'd love to get my hands on a
    '68 Mazda Cosmo Sport.

What about a Stag or even an E Type ?. Of course you could always move on from the sports cars and look for a
    Firebird/Camaro etc.

Good luck to you,

Rick.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER.
    SINCE IT'S IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER.

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Arne,
    I wish you the best with your pursuits. Kinda sad to see you go. Your contributions to the site, offering calm wisdom and the ability to stand back and look at the big picture, will be missed. Your technical experience has been valuable advice to our group and your willingness to contribute goes "beyond the fence". Please stay in touch with your new-found projects and experiences.
    Chris
    Last edited by 26th-Z; 09-17-2011 at 05:17 AM.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

Arne, you'd BETTER hang around here!

I think one car that could seduce me away from the Z is a Jag XKE. Oh god, if there were an original V12 in it, no question....

And then there was that time, long ago, I could have picked up an incomplete Auburn 851 for around $6000. WHY did I not jump on that?! WHY?!

Then again, the Z just fits me. It's not so valuable that I'm terrified to get a scratch, but it's still old, unique and sexy. Who knows? Maybe a couple of decades down the line when the Z is too valuable, gas is too pricey, and my arms are too weak to crank the manual steering, I'll make a hardtop coupe out of my/our little Miata NA and make that my daily driver instead.

Anyway, you'll have to show us all what you end up getting. Even if it's OT with regard to Z's, we're all still interested.
    My last three sports cars while I still owned all three:

2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i soft/hard top (sold)
    1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (sold)
    1978 Datsun 280Z (enjoying very much )

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

Just saw the listing, BTW. Sweet ride! Good luck with the sale.
    My last three sports cars while I still owned all three:

2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i soft/hard top (sold)
    1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (sold)
    1978 Datsun 280Z (enjoying very much )

Member ID
    CZCC-2033

Best wishes and hope you drop in more often than I do to check on things.

If you decide to go with a 2nd Generation MR2 or 1988 Honda Magna, I may see you on another forum

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Yeah, I could be seduced by an E Type. Not a V12, though. I'd want a Series 1 with covered headlights. A decent Series 1 might be outside my preferred budget, though.

And I did consider Camaros (through '73) before I got the Zs. But I really like smaller, more nimble cars.
    Last edited by Arne; 09-17-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-24866

TR6??? Based on the discussion so far it would fit the bill.....
    ---------
    Frank
    1978 280Z 5-speed Light Brown Metallic HLS30-433666
    Helena, AL

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Honda S600/S800, if you can find an example. I'd absolutely love to own one, although I'm not sure if I'd fit. Take a look at C10 Skylines, although that may be too close to the Z-car. They can be imported for less than you may think. How about a Soviet-era Trabant? They were small...
    2/74 260Z

240 Z Owner/Nut Case dhoneycutt's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4557

Quote Originally Posted by ConchZ View Post
    I'd hate to see you go. You've been a big help to me over the last few years. Thanks for all your input!
    Ditto
    David A. Honeycutt
    United States Air Force, Retired

1972 Datsun 240Z HLS3079961
    A Work in Progress

2004 Mazda 6s
    2009 BMW 535xi

The Only Difference Between Men & Boys... Is The Price Of Their Toys!

Member ID
    CZCC-24528

Arne

Thanks for all the advice you given us since 05.

Ok, Guys. A TR6,GT6,MG,Lotus or a JagXKE. You will spend more time working on these, than driving them. My first choice would be a AC Cobra Kit car with a small block Chevy engine. 914/6 wide body second choice,or a early model 911 71-73S . I also like the second generation Maxda RX7 Turbo.
    Ray
    1974 Datson 260Z
    RLS30-27748 Matching #'s
    L26 Stock w/72 Round Tops
    Interpart Front Spoiler
    Addco Front & Rear Sway Bars
    My Very First Car
    Purchased 5/23/1974

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I drove a '67 MGB as my daily for the better part of 6 years. Properly restored, there's no more maintenance involved on a Brit car than a Z. I know this for a fact, because I've done it. (Sorry, Ray, you pushed one of my buttons!)

But again, since I've done that, the MGs and Triumphs are not much in the running. A Jag coupe or 2+2 could be a possibility. Love the Porsches, although my wife would not be supportive of a 914 (too ugly, in her opinion). A 911 of some sort is still a good possibility, and easier to find and afford in driving condition than a Jag.

Member ID
    CZCC-24528

Sorry Arne

I didn't want to do that or mean to do that. I just remember back in the 70's that most of the British cars having electrial and wiring issues.
    Ray
    1974 Datson 260Z
    RLS30-27748 Matching #'s
    L26 Stock w/72 Round Tops
    Interpart Front Spoiler
    Addco Front & Rear Sway Bars
    My Very First Car
    Purchased 5/23/1974

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

No biggie, Ray. Brit cars (IMHO and experience) have picked up a bad rep, that is not entirely deserved. Most of the problems stem from poor maintenance. I never had a single Lucas failure in 6 years with my MG. Plus my Mom drove her MG 1100 as the family driver for 10 years. No electrical problems with that one either. A whole lot is based on how you care for the car. And frankly, most old Brit cars were trashed, because they were cheap.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by FastWoman View Post
    Anyway, you'll have to show us all what you end up getting. Even if it's OT with regard to Z's, we're all still interested.
    Well, while all the speculation has been interesting, the cold reality is that the Z might not sell. I've got a strong reserve on it, and it is very possible that it won't get bid that high. Since I don't HAVE to sell it, this wouldn't be a tragedy. While I'm ready to do something different, I refuse to give it away. We'll have to wait and see. (Just under 3 days left, as I write this.)

Member ID
    CZCC-9967

Hey there Arne. Good luck with the sale. Just saw your post here. As long as you have fun with your next purchase it doesn't really matter what you get. Saw your mention of the 1100. My second car in 1970 was a 1100 sedan. Loved that car. No power but sure fun to drive.
    Randy Taylor
    2/71 240z

HLS30-23242

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Sale pending. Now the serious shopping can begin....

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

So what can replace a z?

Z4?

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Z4?
    Too new. I still want something I can wrench on myself.

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Hmmm I just worked on a colleagues 2003 BMW 330. Internal fabric on A pillars and B pillars coming off, window seals falling off, water pump and belts failed, front caliper seized.... buy a BMW and I guarantee you will be wrenching

I'd say get a Ferrari 250 GTO kit or a factory five kit. Good investment, prices are only going up:

Here is a nice page: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/18-fact...tercity-lines/

Member ID
    CZCC-7975

I'm happy and sad for you Arne. Best of luck with your search.
    Jeff
    Northville, Michigan
    IZCC #1285
    '78 280 10:1 CR, Arizona Z Car header, urethane bushings, Tokico springs, Illumina struts, Panasports w/Hankook R-S2 225/50R16 tires, Maxima 105 amp alternator
    '74 260Z BRE look-alike crap can for Optima Batteries ChumpCar World Series Racing racing

Member ID
    CZCC-21253

I'd say get a Ferrari 250 GTO kit or a factory five kit. Good investment, prices are only going up:
    Good suggestion. Check out Factory Five's soon to be released 818 design. A mid-engine flat-four turbo (from a Subaru WRX). It's on my list.
    Gary
    Guardian of HLS30-91415
    Previous Owner of a 10/70 240Z ('83-'85)

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Hmmm I just worked on a colleagues 2003 BMW 330. Internal fabric on A pillars and B pillars coming off, window seals falling off, water pump and belts failed, front caliper seized.... buy a BMW and I guarantee you will be wrenching
    Hmmm. He must be hard on cars. I drove an E36 328i as my daily for 8 years. It was almost totally trouble-free. Same with the E21 323i (euro) that I drove for the 5 years prior.
    Last edited by Arne; 10-15-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-1608

Good luck with finding what you need to fill the gap Arne. Keep us posted on what that gap filler is.

Thank you for all your help to me and others over the years you've been here.

Cheers

James
    Zed not Zee

HS30-00352 still being rebuilt (year 6)
    HS30-101370 chopped in half

CZCC #1608

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

My E46 (2001 330Ci) is the same way. Piece of junk. I'll never buy another BMW.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

My E53 (2005 X5) is one of the best vehicle's I have ever owned - bought it new - 230,000 miles and still driving like new - a few issues but nothing major, but one fantastic vehicle. Drives like the day I bought it!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-6558

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Hmmm. He must be hard on cars. I drove an E36 328i as my daily for 8 years. It was almost totally trouble-free. Same with the E21 323i (euro) that I drove for the 5 years prior.
    It seems like all I hear on that brand is either they were great or terrible. Not sure how much of that is luck of the draw and how much is proper maintenance. But it seems like if you get a good one you are set and if you get a bad one the ownership experience isn't much fun.
    New Site in the works!
    http://www.240Z.me

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I suppose. All of the BMWs owned by myself, my family, neighbors and friends have all been extremely reliable cars. No real problems with any of them.

But I don't think I want something as modern as a Z4 for my play car.

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Saw a Z1 in Paris in 94 or 95

Cool at the time but now looks like a TR-7

Member ID
    CZCC-21253

Quote Originally Posted by 26th-Z View Post
    My E46 (2001 330Ci) is the same way. Piece of junk. I'll never buy another BMW.
    I had the same car. Loved driving it, hated owning it. It was in the shop every 6-8 weeks for yet another check engine light. Ate tires for breakfast. Luckily I had two-years of free maintenance. The very day it turned two it was traded for an A4.
    Gary
    Guardian of HLS30-91415
    Previous Owner of a 10/70 240Z ('83-'85)

Member ID
    CZCC-3035

The infamous "Service Engine Soon" light?

And here I thought that the SES light was only a constant "feature" on GM products...

I guess that the more complicated you make the car, the more often it will need repair. My son had a 325ES that worked great, until he lost a timing belt. The thing that impressed me was that it was 21 years old, and two different BMW dealers actually worked on it at various times. That never happens around here with "foreign" cars. I have had cars that were half that old turned away from Volvo, VW, and Toyota dealers sight unseen just because they were "old". (When I called for service they said no before I could tell them what was wrong.)

Speaking of which, have you considered looking into a Volvo 740/760? I had a 164E which was pretty interesting, but had an OHV engine. By the 7 series they were OHC. Avoid any Volvo with a V6 however. The inline 6 was OK, but the V6 was the same basic Renault/Peugeot piece of junk that came in the Delorian. It was underpowered and had serious reliability issues.
    '71 240Z, Because any fool can drive fast in a straight line.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Well, I've got probably 2 weeks before all the money is in my account. (Then more time before the car leaves the garage, overseas shipping takes time to arrange.) At this time, I'm going to guess that the next car will be a Porsche. Age and model still in the air.

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

I almost got a 944 before I got a Z, the turbos are great. I was very impressed by the Boxster (Cayman must be heaven) as well, but that may be too new for you.
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-7454

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    As long as you're answering questions...

Why is the sky blue?

Arne, I have this for you!

Why is the sky blue?
    The white light from the sun is a mixture of all colours of the rainbow. This was demonstrated by Isaac Newton, who used a prism to separate the different colours and so form a spectrum. The colours of light are distinguished by their different wavelengths. The visible part of the spectrum ranges from red light with a wavelength of about 720 nm, to violet with a wavelength of about 380 nm, with orange, yellow, green, blue and indigo between. The three different types of colour receptors in the retina of the human eye respond most strongly to red, green and blue wavelengths, giving us our colour vision.

Tyndall Effect
    The first steps towards correctly explaining the colour of the sky were taken by John Tyndall in 1859. He discovered that when light passes through a clear fluid holding small particles in suspension, the shorter blue wavelengths are scattered more strongly than the red. This can be demonstrated by shining a beam of white light through a tank of water with a little milk or soap mixed in. From the side, the beam can be seen by the blue light it scatters; but the light seen directly from the end is reddened after it has passed through the tank. The scattered light can also be shown to be polarised using a filter of polarised light, just as the sky appears a deeper blue through polaroid sun glasses.

This is most correctly called the Tyndall effect, but it is more commonly known to physicists as Rayleigh scattering—after Lord Rayleigh, who studied it in more detail a few years later. He showed that the amount of light scattered is inversely proportional to the fourth power of wavelength for sufficiently small particles. It follows that blue light is scattered more than red light by a factor of (700/400)4 ~= 10.

No that was brought to us from space time travelers one of which was named Barbarella who later marred Ted Turner.

A hot dog bun company conducted a study that found that 20% of hot dogs were being used to train persons to control gag reflex in the following method:
    Locate the area where the gag reflex is first triggered. The easiest way to do this is to use your hotdog to rub the tongue. Start at the front of the tongue and keep moving back until the gag reflex starts. The point closest to the front of the tongue that causes the gag reflex is the area you need to start desensitizing.

Rub the tongue at that spot where the gag reflex is triggered. Ignore the gagging and continue rubbing for around 10 to 15 seconds. Stop rubbing after the stated time period.

Repeat the same procedure every night for the first week. Rub the tongue in the same spot that the gag reflex is triggered. You should notice less gagging each time that you do this. until eventually there is no gagging at all. If it takes more than a week, continue doing it nightly until the gagging stops.

Move the gag reflex trigger back further by extending the area that you Rub. Rub 1/4 to 1/2 inch further back on the tongue. This new area is now the gag reflex trigger and where you should do your nightly rubbing.

Work on that area nightly until you can rub that part of the tongue without triggering the gag reflex. Each time that you are able to move the hotdog back further, you have disengaged the gag reflex on another part of the tongue.

Continue moving your hotdog back, and rubbing a new part of the tongue, until you can rub the entire visual portion of the tongue without engaging the gag reflex.

And that my friends is why there are only 8 buns to a package.
    Jerry Purcell
    1970 HLS30 00029 Owner since 1976 Now owned by Les Canaday (Classic Datsun Motorsports)
    1972 HLS30 93606 IZCC Registion #105 Original owner back home after full restoration by Classic Datsun Motorsports

Member ID
    CZCC-10882

Good luck Arne - thanks for all the knowledge that you've shared with the board over the past 6 years.

Goose / Wayne J
    HLS30-89526 6/72 original owner

Looking for 1 more ATS 15x6 mag...

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quoted from a different thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose52 View Post
    Wow! What an incredible Z-car journey you've had these past 6 years or so. So much knowledge gained and shared. Are there plans for another Z in the future or are you moving on to something else....
    Yeah, in the six years I've seen more than I would have imagined. Terminal rust, being 'found' by a really special 240Z, working with suppliers to recreate period accessories, great new friends, and now sending my car halfway 'round the world. "What a long, strange trip it's been..."

And no way will I rule out having another Z someday. If I ever have one again, it will be a very different project than the red car ended up being.

Member ID
    CZCC-10665

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
    Good suggestion. Check out Factory Five's soon to be released 818 design. A mid-engine flat-four turbo (from a Subaru WRX). It's on my list.
    Check out Thunderranch's Speedster's or Spiders, they both are really nice. If you really want something that will go up in price check out Thunderranch's 904 replica. A really Posche 904 sold at auction for $12 Million. www.thunderranch.com

Thunderranch does make some cool custom Z parts too as well as the Ferrari 250 kit.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by Montezuma View Post
    Check out Thunderranch's Speedster's or Spiders, they both are really nice. If you really want something that will go up in price check out Thunderranch's 904 replica. A really Posche 904 sold at auction for $12 Million. www.thunderranch.com

Thunderranch does make some cool custom Z parts too as well as the Ferrari 250 kit.
    Fun stuff, all of them. But not practical to drive regularly in all weather, as I do with my fun cars. I don't believe in having a car that sits in the garage all the time. I drove my Z at least once a week, regardless of weather. Its replacement needs to be just as all-weather capable and practical.

Member ID
    CZCC-3035

Personally I was looking for a 928 when I found my 240Z. The problem is that 928s are still way too expensive for my budget. Maybe someday...
    '71 240Z, Because any fool can drive fast in a straight line.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I've found plenty of nice Porsches for about what I got for the Z.

Member ID
    CZCC-12212

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    I've found plenty of nice Porsches for about what I got for the Z.
    Yeah, but you don't want a NICE one, do you? Don't you want one that you can completely disassemble, repair rust, replace/reskin the roof, etc., etc.? HAHA!

Regards,

Astrohog

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

I sold a '81 911sc Targa back in june and a month or so ago found out it's in Portland, OR through auto auctions. I have no idea how far that is from you BUT look out for a Havana Brown targa top. It would be a great fixer, that's what I always wanted to do but couldn't afford the parts. I sold it for $3200. One rust spot and the battery box was rusty but that's it. But the targa took away from the over all rigidness of the car, didn't handle as well as a hardtop. 13 qts. for an oil change. I wouldn't buy one with a water pump. Clarify that- no front engines. Here's a picture
    Last edited by siteunseen; 10-20-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3000.jpeg 
Views:	188 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	49096  

Member ID
    CZCC-7975

Is that the Z's replacement?
    Jeff
    Northville, Michigan
    IZCC #1285

Member ID
    CZCC-24603

Arne

Were you ever able to make a sound clip of your exhaust system? Just curious to what that Magnaflow sounds like on there compared to the one sold in the MSA Dynomax kit.

Chase
    1976 Datsun 620 pickup
    1974 Porsche 914 1.8

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff G 78 View Post
    Is that the Z's replacement?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by CW240Z View Post
    Were you ever able to make a sound clip of your exhaust system? Just curious to what that Magnaflow sounds like on there compared to the one sold in the MSA Dynomax kit.
    I tried twice, but I don't have the equipment to do it in a manner that is clear enough to be useful. The Magnaflow is a smoother, less guttural sound than the Dynomax. The twin outlet muffler is LOUD though, and required an additional muffler upstream.

Member ID
    CZCC-7975

Beautiful car Arne. Congrats.
    Jeff
    Northville, Michigan
    IZCC #1285

Member ID
    CZCC-10882

Nice car Arne...but aren't there............................electronic gadgets in there.................and some new fangled fuel delivery called fuel injection? Man, I never got past SUs...

Enjoy the ride !

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

Yeah, not just fuel injection, but integrated engine management (fuel and ignition). Currently being handled by an aftermarket chip. Also things like intermittent wipers, semi-functional A/C, power windows, semi-modern tire sizes, etc.

And yet - at heart it is still a late 60's sports car. Small, relatively light weight, and responsive. A unique combination.

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

Come on now Arne - that just's a teaser! Give a little more info that that beautiful Porsche!

Mitchell

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Arne,
    You should note the correlation between the 911 rear suspension and the S30. Nissan made several comparative studies of the 911 during development and testing of the S30. No doubt there is influence.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-5121

Nice 911! What year? When I worked as a Porsche mechanic I used to love it when those early to mid 80's cars came in. They were the easiest to drop the drivetrain out of for clutches, etc. and IMO they drive a bit more like an older sports car too.

Quote Originally Posted by 26th-Z View Post
    You should note the correlation between the 911 rear suspension and the S30. Nissan made several comparative studies of the 911 during development and testing of the S30. No doubt there is influence.
    Uh... wut? I am guessing you've never actually been under a 911. Comparing the 911 suspension to the 280ZX makes a lot more sense (both semi-trailing arm).
    Jon

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

1984 Carrera coupe. Factory Bilstein Sports, limited slip. Moderately fresh engine, very fresh tires, clutch and transmission. Re-chipped to match the cat-delete and sport exhaust.

Haven't driven it a lot yet, still busy cleaning and exploring.

Name:	Untitled30.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	689.4 KB 
ID:	49098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2991.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	49099  

Member ID
    CZCC-10882

Wow - looks really clean. Nicely bought !

Member ID
    CZCC-15138

Very nice Arne. Two things are certain here, 1) you will enjoy your new car and 2) someone in Norway is getting a great car.
    Dan
    Last edited by 240dkw; 10-31-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

She looks fantastic - I just sold my 1929 Ford Roadster and trying to talk the wife into a Porsche................not luck yet. I'm partial to whaletails and slant-nose.

Mitchell

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-8596

I never have cared for slant-noses, but there was a time (20-25 years ago) when I thought whale tails were a must. As I've grown older, I'm no longer of that opinion. My Carrera did come with a tail from the factory, but it was removed years ago by a similarly minded prior owner.

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Default That reminds me of

A friend from Malaysia who sent me a photo of his cars in the 80's:

Name:	Porsche&Z.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	49103  
    Last edited by Blue; 11-01-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Thread Information