View Poll Results: What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • A non L series Engine

25 33.33%
  • A non Z Engine

27 36.00%
  • A Non Nissan Engine

29 38.67%
  • Non Z ECM transplant

2 2.67%
  • Non Z ECM

1 1.33%
  • Harness Grafting

1 1.33%
  • Too many Interior modifications

16 21.33%
  • Too many Exterior Modifications

53 70.67%
  • Any deviation from as the factory made it

2 2.67%
  • ANy deviation from stock not covered by parts supercession

4 5.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?

Member ID
    CZCC-22854

Quote Originally Posted by 72 OJ View Post
    MODERATOR.......................................I ask,what should my reaction be to this T...comment ....please advice ..................... my girlfriend just read this thread and says ,that I am a classy turd ............5th sorry you feel that way, but that is OK
    Ya know, a while back I had a PM exchange with EScanlon after getting a demerit over a post, I can't remember what the infraction was, political or something. Anyway, the point being, I promised to keep with the spirit of the site and "keep it car" in my posts, this is after all an "S30 tech" site at its heart. We ask each other to share knowledge and experience when taking on projects or tackling problems we face with our S30's, and I like to think I have something to contribute in this regard. I know that I have learned a lot from others here, both in a technical sense and in regards to my posting demeanor. To put it bluntly, when I first came to this site, I acted like an a$$hole and pissed a bunch of people off. I have since TRIED to keep my posts light hearted and informative, even if I need to be corrected at times. I HOPE that I have redeemed myself with those that I have offended and have been removed from their ignore lists and maybe even gained some respect in the process.

That said, and in all fairness, this being an opinion pole/ thread, it is my OPPINION that a V8 Z has little in common technically with an S30. I’m sure that the “Z-VETTE” looks like a Z and turns heads and all. I’m sure that it is impressive to the masses at the car shows and all, but just because it looks like a duck doesn’t make it a duck. It no longer quacks like a duck, missing the sweet song of the inline 6, it doesn’t walk like a duck anymore with the new power train. So, in short it ain’t a duck no more.

Thanks for letting me have feelings and an opinion here OJ, I appreciate it.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

OK, I think we've discussed the engine stuff a LOT, so how about discussing other modifications you can make to the S30 that put it 'over the top' or just go too far.

Giant tuner-style wings on the back, a whale tail, spare Tyre on the hatch maybe? Monster tyres? Window tinting? How do you feel about video screens, XBOX, and subwoofers in the S30?
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 08-12-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    Drive Responsibly.
    enjoy classic Rock music.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Interesting point on the sound from my current Z, this morning at the local am coffee car meet, I had several comments on the particular sound she makes, one guy said that it remind him of an old Jag racer, an other mention that it had a very sweet tone like v8 Rover,a very good looking lady mention that it sounds like her ex Aston Martin,a young guy mention that it is not a Chevy roar and one fellow said that she sounds mad and hypnotic ............can we get back to the topic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what about that lime green Z
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 08-12-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Is the sound the engine makes something that can spoil the S30 experience? Some people like the factory sound (if you have an original car) and some people like the Ferrari sound....
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Quote Originally Posted by TomoHawk View Post
    Is the sound the engine makes something that can spoil the S30 experience? Some people like the factory sound (if you have an original car) and some people like the Ferrari sound....
    I've had an aftermarket 1970s vintage exhaust system on my 240 for about 35 years and prefer the throaty sound over the stock exhaust note - especially on a foggy morning. For me, it adds to the sports car's appeal.

After years of driving "quiet" contemporary cars, I was pleasantly surprised by the burbling sound of the exhaust on my Infiniti. It adds another dimension to the driving experience.
    Dennis
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

There is no other sound i've heard that I like better than a throaty sounding L6 with some good exhaust on it. I really agree a foggy morning does reverberate that sound very well!!!

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

Member ID
    CZCC-14809

Quote Originally Posted by MotoManMike View Post
    It's a Zorvette!

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Quote Originally Posted by doradox View Post
    It's a Zorvette!
    Or is it a CorZed? All the king's horses and all the king's will have fun putting this one back together again - if ever.
    Dennis

Member ID
    CZCC-22790

That ebay car is the Zhette! Why?

Quote Originally Posted by MotoManMike View Post
    There is no other sound i've heard that I like better than a throaty sounding L6 with some good exhaust on it. I really agree a foggy morning does reverberate that sound very well!!!
    I agree with the sound of the L6. This one's and L31 with triple webers somewhere in Sweden and its kind of foggy out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4qjb_A3weA

HLS30-140943, 12-72

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

Nice fly by, sounds great!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by roy-73-240z View Post
    That ebay car is the Zhette! Why?

I agree with the sound of the L6. This one's and L31 with triple webers somewhere in Sweden and its kind of foggy out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4qjb_A3weA

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I'm not familiar with the L31, but the car in the video sounds nice to me- like an old Jaguar or the like.
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 08-13-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2zcars3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	296.3 KB 
ID:	55589Nice exchange on the neat sounds emitted by Z's. I will like to know on what a proper stance and tire size does to this marvel of a car, IMO the original stance and the skinny 14'' rubber on the S30 was a bit to 4X4ish .....a close/tight tire gap on all corners wheel wells gives this baby an impacting look, mine has the 16''Panasport's and 225.50 16 tires and to me it is the proper stance.. A Zness in Z or not ?,,,,,,a shot of Mike's(one of two/work in progress) Z that is lower than a stock one and mine
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 08-13-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

Stoked L series to 3.1 liter with the diesel crank i'm pretty sure is what he means.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Name:	2zcars3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	296.3 KB 
ID:	55590Mike I F&#%k LOVE MY Z ,,,,,,,,nice shot with a phone cam Z or not, bastard who cares, Frankthef&#k so what, puke I don't think so , duck_ hell no_ a swan yes,the soul is there I invite you to see her, click on pic for a large view, aint she a pretty Z
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 08-13-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Go Fast, Don't Crash 280~Master's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-9867

My opinion (which don't amount to squat) is mods to the outside like g-nose, headlight covers, louvers, cowl hood, air dams, spoilers, flares, mirrors are not that big they have been around since the start but to have mods like square headlights, corvette tail lights, chopping the top, changing the hatch are out of control and make the car look like something out of a horror flick. I like a Z to look like it was supposed to look, not like a crazy fiberglass project from some sculptor. When it comes to the engine transplants of things other than Nissan L engines are not my idea of a true Z. When you put a Chevy, ford, dodge, Toyota ect in it changes the car to a custom hotrod. Inside Upgrading seats, lights, stereo, fabric or gauges is not that big of a deal. Improve on the technology but do go so far out there that you destroy the idea of what the car was meant to be.
    John Thomas Bertrand
    Model: HLS30 STD CPE 2DR
    Color: 305 LIGHT BLUE
    Serial: HLS30-298085
    Engine: L28-081399
    Port of Entry: 34 JACKSONVILLE
    Method of Transport: TRUCK
    Dealer to whom delivered:
    Brown Datsun INC
    213 E Liberty ST
    Lyons, GA 30436

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Do you mean something like putting on the Mega Squirt fuel injection system in stead of the L- Jetronic? I hear of some HybridZ guys doing it with "big improvements." You might notice the difference IF you are thoroughly familiar with the L28E engine.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

Default Simma down nah

Simma down nah Lee, I don't want to be included in trashing anybody, its not my style and I don't have any problems with anyone on here.
    Last edited by MotoManMike; 08-14-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: forgot something

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Bro,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there are no problems at all, just a diverse group of Z lovers with deep connections to her hypnotic enchantment

Member ID
    CZCC-22854

Bro,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there are no problems at all, just a diverse group of Z lovers with deep connections to her hypnotic enchantment
    Do you smoke alot of dope?

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Bwaaa-ha-ha-ha! (Can't help it) Well, he put a V8 in his Z. What does THAT tell ya? Bwaaa-ha-ha-choke-cough-sputter! Lee, you're sure taking a bunch of it, but you seem to be holding up well. Tip-o-the hat to you!
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Everyone has their own opinion as to what level of originality is the minimum necessary for it to be a Z. A Z is NOT a muscle car. A Z is NOT a Ferrari or a Chevy or a Chrysler or a Ford. It's not a jet or a diesel tractor. It's what Mr K envisioned it to be, which probably allows some latitude, but not too much. It's a fun car, a classic car, a elegant car, and it's unlike anything else. It's soul is what sets it apart, the essense of that brought it to popularity back in 1970. It was a mixture of known lines, yet in a unique form. It put the Japanese sport car industry on the map and shook the world. It's historic!!! It wows everyone who sees, even the owner.
    Last edited by bpilati; 08-14-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    Bryan Pilati
    1971 Datsun 240Z (8/71; 920 paint)
    IZCC #583; TZCC #16; CZC #110
    I'm never serious unless I should be.

Member ID
    CZCC-15388

Well said...
    Julio
    1972 240Z (in-progress, 95% complete)
    CZC# 15388

Member ID
    CZCC-21253

I invite you to see her, click on pic for a large view, aint she a pretty Z
    In all honesty, and all seriousness, your Z isn't any better looking then mine or dozens of other Z's that are owned by the members of this club. I really don't see why you think yours is special. In fact there are many that far exceed it.
    Gary
    Guardian of HLS30-91415
    Previous Owner of a 10/70 240Z ('83-'85)

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

26th in the above note you mention ''in his Z'',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Gary in the above note you mention ''your Z''..........So she is a Z

Member ID
    CZCC-22854

Total nonsense, what are you trying to say? Do yoy really talk like this and wink at people after every third word?

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
    In all honesty, and all seriousness, your Z isn't any better looking then mine or dozens of other Z's that are owned by the members of this club. I really don't see why you think yours is special. In fact there are many that far exceed it.
    His is special because it is his, just like yours is special because it is yours, but Everyone knows Mine is clearly the superior Z.It is without a doubt and obvious to everyone who sees it that isn't a complete and totally blind moronic stooge butt wipe that she is the best Z in the entirety of the face of the slab of concrete that floors my garage! I am proud of her too, but I am not interested in forcing my opinion of my Z on anyone else, when I can enjoy their perfect Zs too!
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Quote Originally Posted by hls30.com View Post
    His is special because it is his, just like yours is special because it is yours, but Everyone knows Mine is clearly the superior Z.It is without a doubt and obvious to everyone who sees it that isn't a complete and totally blind moronic stooge butt wipe that she is the best Z in the entirety of the face of the slab of concrete that floors my garage! I am proud of her too, but I am not interested in forcing my opinion of my Z on anyone else, when I can enjoy their perfect Zs too!
    So, let me see if I'm correctly interpreting what you wrote..... You, like the rest of us, own a Z because you like some things about it. But, you're emotionally secure and mature enough to not have to mention the wonderfulness of your Z in just about every message you post.

You realized long ago that we all bought Zs for as many reasons as there are Zs and "beating your own drum" doesn't make you any better than anyone else. While an owner can make the car special, the opposite is rarely true.

Good attitude!
    Dennis
    Last edited by psdenno; 08-15-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Mr, Deeds let me make a proposal,I am sick and tired of your remarks in regards to my posts on this forum. You as a season member can get all the info on members profile and activities. I imagine that you have a PAYPAL # and the time to take on my offer. I will pay for the time to create a list of my car's "wonderfuness'' and/ or similar remarks in posts( the whole missive and not just selected parts of it ) on the forum..............As of today I have 850 posts, so if I make according to you'' I mention my car's wonderfulness just about every message you post'',,,you have a nice task on your hands.
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 08-15-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-22854

That will be $10,000, cus we all know how much wonderfulness you're car contains, would you like to make a seperate list for the things that illustrate the Zness, that will be extra. BTW who is Mr. Deeds?

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

The winking at every turn reminds me of George Burns...and the guy who played him in 18again...
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

You guys... Comments like these past few should be shared via PM, instead of in the open... Remember, potentially every person on Earth with a computer/Internet could be reading everything the comments on this website.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-17660

I would just like to say.........................

Nevermind I have nothing to say.
    1977 280z
    1974 260z long gone

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I have only seen a couple of cars that started life as Zs that are so far off the mark I don't want them claiming to be related to mine-my only problem with them is that I can't Un-see them-Tomohawk!.

Member ID
    CZCC-17660

One, Two, Three. Three!

Name:	spartan10655885.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	55634
    Last edited by grantf; 08-15-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    1977 280z
    1974 260z long gone

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I once got to the center of a Tootsie Pop in 8 licks.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

You guys... Comments like these past few should be shared via PM, instead of in the open... Remember, potentially every person on Earth with a computer/Internet could be reading everything the comments on this website.
    Do you remember this, owl!

...gotta roll your tongue on that three...and put on some glasses...

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Let me bump in................what about that lime green Z,,,,,,,,,no one has mention the Z or not in that super sexy ,no money object car. No one has mention the proper stance on this cars, the tire size and wheels that enhances the look or takes it away. What about the use of after market gauges. The proper steering wheel .The proper muffler tip. Come on Z lover lets do the forum thing

Member ID
    CZCC-21253

Let me bump in................what about that lime green Z,,,,,,,,,no one has mention the Z or not in that super sexy ,no money object car. No one has mention the proper stance on this cars, the tire size and wheels that enhances the look or takes it away. What about the use of after market gauges. The proper steering wheel .The proper muffler tip. Come on Z lover lets do the forum thing
    I don't understand why you are goading club members to comment on a car of a member that isn't participating in the conversation. The members thoughts on that Z are rightly placed in the restoration thread of that car. Why rehash it here?
    Gary
    Guardian of HLS30-91415
    Previous Owner of a 10/70 240Z ('83-'85)

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

In the Poll, none of those things (rims, tires, stance, gauges, steering wheel muffler tip, etc,) were choices to vote on for this poll. You are welcome to make general comments regarding those things or to start another topic to discuss those things.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

The Lime Green Z...much of what was done still augments the original style of the car-which I like-where that deviates is where it looses me. If that was my version of perfection it would be what was in my garage-that does not mean I don't like it, don't think it is beautiful, or don't respect the effort that went in to building it-I do on all accounts! It simply means I don't like it enough to have built it. It looks well thought out and executed, it is just not as I would have built it.
    I have already said my ideal is to make upgrades blend into the car to the point they are completely overlooked until they are actually put to use.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Guys, don't make me get grumpy...post what you think the thread is for, if you are wrong, as the Original Poster and the Moderator, I will let you know by "being Polite until it is time not to be polite"
    Will
    I don't mind related deviation, it can bring more to a thread than it had, but keep the egos in check to the point of keeping this a polite exchange of ideas and leave the policing and refocussing of content to me.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

hls30.com,,,,,,,,,,so the lime Z still has the Ztric flavor

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

No one has mentioned the proper stance on this car, the tire size and wheels that enhances the look or takes it away. What about the use of after market gauges. The proper steering wheel. The proper muffler tip.
    OK, so what is your opinion on those things? What would it take to negate Zness?
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Even your car has a Z flavor, it is just overshadowed by something decidedly not Z. Think of it like a Deep Fryed Ice cream sandwich, you can still taste the Ice cream sandwich, but it more of an aftertaste than the dominant flavor.

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Taking it personally.......have you seen the ton of insults on this thread and you as moderator did zip.Please be just and treat ALL members in the same manner. Also please respond to my PM,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks. Lee
    Feel free to report any post where you feel you are being insulted. Realize that we may not agree.
    Do remember that it is impossible for us to moderate the thread or forum to your specific likes as it seems that you have been the primary instigator in some of these exchanges. In some cases it is apparent that you choose to see an "insult" when someone disagrees with you. That is your choice to make and deal with accordingly, but understand that we're not prepared to shield you from your decisions.

You brought up the concept of a "Turdymobile", which has offended several members.
    Any responses to that concept that you find objectionable are of your own decision making, you opened the door to them by the concept you proposed. That you choose to mistreat your vehicle is again, your choice. Don't expect others to agree with your choices.

Your concept of fairness/justness is not what we moderate by. If you insult, deride, and otherwise annoy the other members, as you have been doing, then expect to have it handed back. If you do not like what you are receiving, then stop shelling it out to others.

We won't allow them to insult you directly, nor allow you to do it to them either. You should also be aware that the "inuendo" type of insult is pretty much recognizable as an insult and as such will be dealt with as a direct insult.

You have insisted on pushing your enthrallment with the uniqueness of your vehicle. Allow others to choose to disagree. From the posts here and in other threads it has annoyed many members. The replies on this thread speak volumes, and it isn't the majority that seems to be in error. Your vehicle is special to you, accept that others may not be enthralled and may even be appalled at what you have. That is their right. You're very upfront with pointing out what you feel "destroys" the "sexy lines" of the Z, to the point of insulting others and then demanding that they NOT insult you.

Your car is modified, yet you are extremely critical of other people's modifications, to the tune of repeating it ad nauseum. This site is primarily for the Classic Z that has not been as modified as yours is. While we can and do share the love of Z's with those that have changed / modified / modernized their Z as yours is, you won't find the kind of acceptance that you demand, and especially when you demand, cajole and otherwise annoy everyone here.

Hybrid-Z may be a better forum for you. There you will find others that have also done a V8 transplant and love to discuss it.

You should be aware though, that they are even more strict about what they do and don't allow to be posted.
    It may be that you have already been there and that is why you are here.

If you feel that you can no longer participate in this thread or forum without continuing to insult, denigrate, deride and otherwise annoy the other members, then please desist from reading and contributing anything further to it.

If on the other hand you choose to continue to participate; if necessary-- agree to disagree, avoid argumentative posts and please abide by the forum rules.

E Scanlon

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Rewind......me bad there is a type horror,,,,,,THESE CARS (not this cars) so the first line is for the lime Z, the rest of the lines are for the Z's in general.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

I have responded to the above statement, and the post has been deleted,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mike is aware on the personal issue that is the key for this action.'''''''''''''''''''' BTW on the Ebay posts Mr Beck is a regular participant and others as well. Yes I critic what most consider bad taste..........The ''turdymobile/beater Z'' term was shared by others with no remorse. Also the above quote by me has been modified , the one in blue liner on that large post by EScanlon. The site you mention is for builders/hands on work, my current Z is a done car.
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 08-17-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I go to bed and what surprise do I get to step past this morning...

Play nice and stay on topic! Most members know to turn to TNT for Drama, they don't look for or want it in our threads-and as the battle field above shows neither do our Mods or Site Owner.

What do you guys think about alternative finishing on OEM Parts as modifications ?

What about replacing perfectly good oem parts with Billet Aluminum?

Member ID
    CZCC-22854

What do you guys think about alternative finishing on OEM Parts as modifications ?

Repainting or chroming OEM alternator brackets don't really bother me, nor does the addition of billet door lock poppers, strut braces, valve caps or any other bobbles and doo-dads, as long as you do it tastefully. Whenever I read a thread like this I always remember "The Klingon", the guy that welded a hood to the roof of his car, YIKES. Some ideas look good in the minds eye but make the other two sore if you get my drift.

In my recent fight to rid my car once and for all of it's vapor lock issues (successfully) I added a 3" cowl induction hood. I wouldn't go so far as to say it looks bad, but I liked the stock hood look much better. I can justify the mod by saying, "The hood was damaged anyway and the intent of the modification, to ventilate the engine compartment, was a success." Did it improve the looks of the car? Not to me....Did it improve the performance? Defiantly.

Member ID
    CZCC-11908

Modifying, replacing, or upgrading wearable items with a more durable version makes sense to me, and doesn't have an overall negative effect on the car. While I don't particularly care for billet aluminum for some things (steering wheels come to mind), replacing door latch components or links that hold on the accessories (even the fuel rail) is fine by me.

Many members have upgraded their alternators from externally regulated to internally. While some have done so for the added juice, others have simply done so to remove a common fault area. It's a logical change that betters the performance of the car, without changing the overall nature of the car.
    Same notion can be applied when it comes to switching from a points distributor to the later model.
    Last edited by zbane; 08-17-2012 at 07:47 AM.
    David

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I like similar if not original finishes-polished carbs, intake, and valve cover do look better that a dirty set, but then having them clean, matching, and uniformly media blasted looks good to. Painted carbs and heads-yuk unless preped correctly and painted carefully. I don't really care for too much color under the hood-I have gone so far as to paint colored plug wires to get them black...metallic silver and black-enev in several shades looks good to me.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Nothing to do with mods but IMO a clean and detailed engine bay shows pride and care, it ills me to see a neglected/dirty engine bay on a shiny car.
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 08-17-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

there you go... That's what we'd all like to see

Please elaborate on what "clean and detailed" means.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Name:	6269300024_large.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	55670Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6269300045_large.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	55671
    there you go... That's what we'd all like to see

Please elaborate on what "clean and detailed" means.
    Here, you ask , that is what I mean by ''clean and detailed''engine bay

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Since that's not an appropriate engine for any stock Z car, it's difficult for people with the stock engine (or most people following this topic) to see your point. I realize that it's quite possible to write a book on this topic, but it's not uncommon to start with some general guidelines.

Please reiterate your idea without the use of photographs, unless your photo is a detail of something very specific.

Larger, quaity photographs would be nice too.
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 08-17-2012 at 10:27 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Name:	zvette.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	55673Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2049.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	554.6 KB 
ID:	55674 My current Z with the LS1 and my former Orange Z , both 72 and Cali cars. Click on pics for a larger view and you will see what I mean by ''clean and detailed'' not SHOW quality but pride and care on what you own . Tom can you post a pic of your 280z appropriate engine bay , those FI motors are a bit hard to detailed
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 08-17-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

The orange one looks somewhat clean and neat. there are some simple things that could have been done to improve the look significantly.

I can't see any details on the other one, because all I see are two giant head covers.
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 08-17-2012 at 11:32 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Tom the LS1/ VETTE motor that is the way they present , clean no messy wires or hardware exposed, both the L24 and the LS1 engines are very simple looking and easy to do maintenance work, that is a feature that I like. Lets us see yours, I will like to see what you have done to improve the look significantly on your z engine bay and motor ,
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 08-18-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I'm for keeping the look, and texture about the same throughout the engine area, with certain exceptions. Things that are sand cast, like the intake and exhaust manifolds cannot be polished, but you can smooth them out to a point. It allows water to drain, so you have less to clean for show. Things that can be polished like crazy, such as the rocker box, AAV, carbs, tubes, etc., get more hand-work and possibly some shiny plating. Rubber should be supple-looking, like when it was new.

As for the billet parts- I usually only add them as required to replace parts that are worn out or 'broken' but would keep with the texture an sheen of the surrounding or similar OEM parts. That is, except for the occasional 'decoration' which might be very shiny or have some color to it ( like a red radiator cap or spark plug wires.) But I would like to see something (not everything ) with a Z emblem or just some nicely printed letters ("Stant: 15 - 18 PSI" or the ubiquitous "Danger: fan" decal on the fan shroud.)

As for the motor, it is painted black as it was from the factory.
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 08-18-2012 at 06:02 AM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

TomoHawk, what about pics on that engine bay, share with us

Member ID
    CZCC-22854

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Tom the LS1/ VETTE motor that is the way they present , clean no messy wires or hardware exposed, both the L24 and the LS1 engines are very simple looking and easy to do maintenance work, that is a feature that I like. Lets us see yours, I will like to see what you have done to improve the look significantly on your z engine bay and motor ,
    You bring up a very valid point, most modern engines-even those in the 350Z and 370Z are presented in the engine bay with all of the "messy wires " and "hardware" covered with an otherwise useless piece of plastic...
    I have seen S30s with this kind of "cover under the hood" treatment to keep from actually having to detail an engine.. There is a huge difference in the time needed to properly clean a normal S30 engine bay and the time needed to take out a cover, wipe the core support, fenders and firewall and install a new cover.

To me these covers are an example of the Fernando school of automotive design-...simply cover it up what lansdsape doesn't work aesthetically-rather than actually design the issues out it out... better to look well done than to actually be well done. Does any serious sports car really need engine bay stylist?
    I am beginning to channel Professor Turgeson(Back to School) on this...

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

As for the motor, it is painted black as it was from the factory.
    Don't you mean Datsun Blue...It isn't a ford after all

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Will, that LS1 with the covers is a very easy/friendly engine to do simple engine service if needed , plugs, coil packs,water pump,fuel rails, ac-alt belt and to do an oil/filter change is a simple none messy task , in a way just as my former L 24
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 08-18-2012 at 07:28 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Any cover that has no other purpose that to hide what is under it should not be there-even when used as a bilboard for a bright red heart! My Z32 has a comparatively small cover over the valley of the intake, it is purely cosmetic, and still there-I even painted it, but when I have time to figure out how to de-clutter that COVERED area it will be gone-that area is spotlessly clean-I take off the cover when I detail the engine.
    I still think a purely cosmetic cover HAS NO PLACE under the hood of a sports car though I do not see a reason not to make a cover with any other purpose more cosmetically pleasing.
    Last edited by hls30.com; 08-18-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Will, it aint no billboard, that is her proper smooth look, sexy just as the rest of her

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Will, it aint no billboard, that is her proper smooth look, sexy just as the rest of her
    I give your car more credit than that-I see that cosmetic cover under the hood as being beneath the quality and promise of your car...it is odd to me that you see it as a part of what she is...must be the feelings/associations/connotation you hold for the word painted on it and not what it actually contributes...

Member ID
    CZCC-11908

it aint no billboard
    It isn't not a billboard, so it is a billboard...

Those covers do have an additional, real purpose besides hiding cables, wires, etc. My I30 has one emblazoned with the Infiniti design over the forward head of the v-6. At first I thought it was just there for looks, but I found it's quite handy in preventing one from accidentally placing hand on hot engine... Some designers may go more for the utilitarian look, trying to integrate that piece of plastic, while others use it as something pretty to look at; something to get your attention.
    David

Member ID
    CZCC-4368

Since these are Datsuns shouldn't the curtains match the drapes? Ya know...engine compartment should be the same color as the car's exterior? And before anyone whines about mine here are pics.

Chuck

Name:	Sany2582.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	218.1 KB 
ID:	55680Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sany2444.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	55681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 84.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	55679
    East Coast Z Nationals held at the Carlisle Import & Kit Nationals - May 16-18, 2014 Carlisle, PA
    www.carlisleevents.com/events/import
    1969 240Z #390
    1971 Fairlady Z
    1971 240Z parts car
    1972 240Z ITS race car
    1972 240Z turbo
    1974 260Z turbo
    1975 280Z my first car
    1978 620 King Cab

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Will-

You could always paint wires and things on the plastic covers. How about transparent covers?

I still like the older vehicles that were so pleasingly designed so that it looked nice even with the wires and parts (coil, carb/chokes, heat ducting, coolant hoses) all over. Some were more like "art" than a machine.

IMO, the covers are there to make the engine more politically-correct, so people in suits or women don't need to touch anything dirty. The engineers put them on so mechanics charge you for the extra time it takes to remove and replace them. With the exception of a few that cover electrical items, belts and pulleys (the dangerous parts) they just keep the dirt and heat trapped close to the engine and discolor, making you want to buy a new vehicle that much sooner.

I haven't seen many plastic covers that couldn't be thrown away without changing the operation of the engine.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

OJ, if I get some photos, I may post them.

Will- the motor is BLACK.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

I give your car more credit than that-I see that cosmetic cover under the hood as being beneath the quality and promise of your car...it is odd to me that you see it as a part of what she is...must be the feelings/associations/connotation you hold for the word painted on it and not what it actually contributes...
    Interesting note, I am in the process of having a custom made cover, yes in red but with the Z emblem and the LS1/VETTE logo ,also some custom made side emblems
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 08-18-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

I still like the older vehicles that were so pleasingly designed so that it looked nice even with the wires and parts (coil, carb/chokes, heat ducting, coolant hoses) all over. Some were more like "art" than a machine.
    Since newer cars have very few components and fluids that can, or need to be, checked or serviced by the owner, the trend has been to enclose everything under covers for a tidy appearance. Hundred thousand mile tune ups and totally sealed automatic transmissions have become the norm.

I still prefer the "old" days when you could open the hood on a car and see the engine and all its components as well as the ground below the car. Many of the older engines were works of art just like the car's exteriors.
    Dennis

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Quote Originally Posted by cbuczesk View Post
    Since these are Datsuns shouldn't the curtains match the drapes? Ya know...engine compartment should be the same color as the car's exterior? And before anyone whines about mine here are pics.

Chuck

Name:	Sany2582.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	218.1 KB 
ID:	55680Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sany2444.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	55681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 84.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	55679
    TomoHawk,,,,,here is a clear example.neat, clean, functional,,,,,,,it shows PRIDE

Member ID
    CZCC-22854

Interesting note, I am in the process of having a custom made cover, yes in red but with the Z emblem and the LS1/VETTE logo ,also some custom made side emblems
    I know its wrong, but having seen one with this on the air cleaner once I feel obligated to share.............CHEB-Zee.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Quote Originally Posted by 5thhorsemann View Post
    I know its wrong, but having seen one with this on the air cleaner once I feel obligated to share.............CHEB-Zee.
    What are you smoking today 5th,,,,,,,,,,,,,there is some bad stuff in Baltimore be careful . FWIW do a little search/ history on the LS1 engine and you as a hands on guy might see the significance on that marvel of a motor
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 08-18-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-22854

In all fairness, it was on a Z28 big block RatRod, and I know all about the Vette motors. And I'm not smokin, I'm DRINKING!

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Name:  $(KGrHqF,!h8E4pq8ovGrBOP,oIGYug~~0_14.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  1.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!lME4lpili4IBOP,nneWmg~~0_3.JPG 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	55684Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!lME4lpili4IBOP,nneWmg~~0_12.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	55685Name:  $(KGrHqF,!lME4lpili4IBOP,nneWmg~~0_14.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  1.2 KB
    In all fairness, it was on a Z28 big block RatRod, and I know all about the Vette motors. And I'm not smokin, I'm DRINKING!
    Well ,we are getting there, see the connection ""Z 28'' ..................2.8 X two = almost 5.7
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 08-18-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Uh, No.
    I know why they put them in there, for overly challenged people-to make it easier for the engine to look cared about, and for those mechanically challenged(but not financially challenged) to be safer and feel better about popping the hood-a big sheet of logo'd plastic is certainly less intimidating than the engine one hides-do you get that-the cover hides the engine......so much going on under there to be confused about...oh my it gets hot too! It is a good thing to hide all of that and feel better that it looks so neat and tidy-ooohw!

I am just glad some engineer in some engine compartment meeting somewhere had a pair and channeled Mr. K and told that freaking stylist" if you have to put something like that on there it can't be the pink/purple tray from your favorite Barbie Tea Set-and so it was disguised...
    I think that stylist got carried away-as some of you are... like Kevin Klien in In and Out This is for your own good guys...http://youtu.be/Si3WXZtJ5GY

Man up and Stop acting like you had to move that way to get to the toilet.

I'll run out and buy an Arielle Atom and be done with it...
    Last edited by hls30.com; 08-19-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: too much confusion in pot, heat, and toilet...

Member ID
    CZCC-22854

Hey man, my motors dirty as hell and missing half of the heat shield.........................and....I.....DO.... NOT.......EVER.......DANCE........................ ...(in public)

Member ID
    CZCC-22854

Name:  $(KGrHqF,!h8E4pq8ovGrBOP,oIGYug~~0_14.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  1.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!lME4lpili4IBOP,nneWmg~~0_3.JPG 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	55684Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!lME4lpili4IBOP,nneWmg~~0_12.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	55685Name:  $(KGrHqF,!lME4lpili4IBOP,nneWmg~~0_14.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  1.2 KB

Well ,we are getting there, see the connection ""Z 28'' ..................2.8 X two = almost 5.7
    It was a late 80" or early 90's Z28, not a real one like in your attachment.......... CHEB-ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...WHOPEEE

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

You got your manly pass in post 277!

That clip always makes me bust out laughing! And to think "panty waste" married Phoebe Cates...
    http://youtu.be/PqMIfeTc-CM
    Last edited by hls30.com; 08-18-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

That's it? Nothing can follow Phoebe Cates Klein?

What about the L28E turbo engine? Does that give the 280Z Zness?
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Hey, TomoHawk where is the promise engine bay picture , like to see the improvements and Zness you made on it
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 08-20-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

That's it? Nothing can follow Phoebe Cates Klein?

What about the L28E turbo engine? Does that give the 280Z Zness?
    Like you should even be asking that question...L6 in a Z-Hmmmm...not to mention I the fact that my 240Z was going to have 2 swapable drivetrains, each installed on a fully loaded crossmember with quick disconect hoses so I could take out a dozen fasteners, lift up the front end and swap them out quickly-after the cross members were indexed to the car. One original, and one L28ET!

After Phoebe everything else was anticlimaxtic....according to Judge Rienhold...doesn't anyone ever knock anymore?
    Last edited by hls30.com; 08-20-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Name:  120px-Chevrolet_Corvette_C5_LS1_engine.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  3.8 KB
    It was a late 80" or early 90's Z28, not a real one like in your attachment.......... CHEB-ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...WHOPEEE
    5th.............you are a bit off, the LS1 has no relation to those mention engines other than the overall dimension, it is an all aluminium block , weight is only 380 lb and kicks a$$, 340RWHP and 365RWT. The L24 weight is 427 lb-150 rated hp, making this transplant very attractive , plus it gets 32 MPG HWY
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 08-20-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Wait a minute now, if you wanna play that game...LS7 505 horsepower / 475 lb.-ft. torque not quite 32 mpg-but putting a V8 in a Z is not done primarily for gas mileage-if gas mileage is your ultimate goal, a volkswagon TDI engine will drop right in a Z-with room to spare and get mighty close to 50pg with the right tranny!

What about the LSA 556 bhp (415 kW) at 6100 rpm and 551 lbft (747 Nm) at 3800 rpm.

As luck would have it, the LS7 and the LSA are available with bright red valve covers with CORVETTE Written on them for those into such things...I am sure someone could make up something similar for the tdi engine-hough a Cadillac badge on the LSA would be something different-soo many of those corvette covers already in Zs...

Aint I a stinka!

Truth is I looked at all of these-the Cadillac LS Crate motors were a serious deal for a while, I even looked at buying a rolling Vette chassis, and putting it under my 240Z. but in the end it would have been a rebodied Vette to me-not what I wanted. I did look at Jag and BMW 12 cylinders for the Alpha1 rebody-after I found that a Ferrari V12 was 20k in need a rebuild...

I settled on a modified L28ET with some stealth tricks to make it more Ferarriesque Alpha1GTO-still in the works.

For the 240z, A quick change drivetrain was the ticket-change car show classes in an hour-sucker someone with the OE Drive train early, and worry the crap out of them later in the morning with the modified L28ET!
    Last edited by hls30.com; 08-21-2012 at 05:24 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

OJ-

First of all,
    I only take photos for myself- anything else is for vanity, and I don't do that.

Secondly,
    If I wanted great mileage, I'd install my micro-fusion powerplant and get infinite "gas mileage".. But for now, we all use the infernal combustion engines.

Phoebe Cates-
    She got MUCH better looking with age- like a fine wine or liquor. Unfortunately, she has no twin sister(s).

Will-
    Remember that Mr. Ferrari also won races like the Milli Miglia and LeMans 24 with I4- I6- and V6 engines... And Drum brakes all around!
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 08-21-2012 at 06:02 AM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Will, 340 at the rear wheels is plenty, I came across this seductive Z and had to have her .................Can you post pics of the Alpha Z

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

TomoHawk, all that critique on proper engine presentation , and you deny us to see what you have done to your Z ................BTW on your profile I believe there are some old pics of your Z, it will be nice to see the improvements you have made
    Last edited by 72 OJ; 08-21-2012 at 06:30 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Never mind all the talk about HP or WHP or whatever acronym you like.. first learn to drive well. Horsepower is an excuse for a lack of driving skill.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-844

I see this thread has wandered way off course. It's a shame, but probably not surprising given the controversial nature of the subject.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

OK...

One of the choices for the poll was Interior Modifications. What modifications to the interior make you think the S30 has lost its appeal, or Z-ness?

My choices:

• Subwoofers
    • Video screens
    • Racing seats with custom logo'd inserts
    • roll bars
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

Bryan, this is typical....on course off course....................the poll is still open and the Zness converse pop's up

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

OK...

One of the choices for the poll was Interior Modifications. What modifications to the interior make you think the S30 has lost its appeal, or Z-ness?

My choices:

• Subwoofers
    • Video screens
    • Racing seats with custom logo'd inserts
    • roll bars
    I have all the above.............................Tom come on, post pics of your Z, with all the nice and informative posts you make , you must have a Zweet Z

Member ID
    CZCC-844

Bryan, this is typical....on course off course....................the poll is still open and the Zness converse pop's up
    The wheels came off this thread over 100 posts ago when the fighting started. Several people are at fault, but a lot of your posts have been deleted. If you were to take the initiative and help change the tone, I think we could get this thread back on course.
    Bryan Pilati

Member ID
    CZCC-22854

It's the "show us picks of your engine bay Tom" thread now.

Member ID
    CZCC-844

It's the "show us picks of your engine bay Tom" thread now.
    Did you check the gallery?
    Bryan Pilati

Thread Information