Thread: new sweety

Member ID
    CZCC-23165

Default new sweety

wanted to post a few picks of my latest purchase,
    would a few of you guys look over the pics and give me your honest input.
    Like ive said in another post, I wanted a good starting point for a car i could improve and drive at the same time.
    currently waiting on delivery of new life blood,ie: tune kit, shocks, springs, etc. stuff that is needed to be able to drive safely and reliable one day a week summer only.
    anyways, if you guys have any input whatsoever, please share.
    I've been waiting years to have one of these in my garage that i can actually enjoy.
    information from po was scattered at best, all ive been told is the car lived in cali for it's life, and was brought to tenessee three years ago. i have no other info, so it always makes me wonder.
    thanks,
    I would like to share what i bought it for, but kinda wondering what you folks think it might be valued at in this shape.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6230.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	56797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6240.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	56805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6239.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	56804Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6238.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	56803Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6237.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	56802Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6236.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	56801Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6235.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	56800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6234.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	56799Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6233.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	56798Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6241.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	56806

Member ID
    CZCC-5413

Wasn't this car from East Tennessee? If so, I think I saw it on Craigslist.
    I hope you enjoy the ride.
    73 240Z
    74 260Z

Blue's collection of tech tips - A great place to look for answers
    XenonS30 -The cheap source for FSMs
    Georgia Z Club
    Fiddling with Z Cars - Z car tips & tricks and pictures of my car-loving life.
    Steve's CARtography - Just car pictures.

Formerly known as Koalia Reverend's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-20168

It's a nice looking Z, i wouldn't go under 6K if speaking of value. It has all the parts, no major rust and paint seems to be in okay condition.
    -72 240Z "Goldie"

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

What ever you paid wasn't enough. That's a beautiful car. Lucky rascal.

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

Looks like a great find ....... Enjoy!
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Supporting Member Zedyone_kenobi's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Looks like a wonderful starting point. Your head is screwed on right with the mechanical once over. You had the same exact goals as I did with my car. Buy the nicest driver I could and fix it up while you enjoy it. I think you did very well. Our cars are so much alike, even down to the horrible Yorx AC compressor and torn throttle push rod bushing gasket.

IF you have any questions, please ask us. We are here to help and foster any good will toward Z owners anywhere.
    WELCOME
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691
    93.9% done and getting better every day
    Now with 100% more DATSUN SPIRIT L28 Power
    1968 Datsun 2000 SRL311-03416

Member ID
    CZCC-23165

Quote Originally Posted by Zedyone_kenobi View Post
    Looks like a wonderful starting point. Your head is screwed on right with the mechanical once over. You had the same exact goals as I did with my car. Buy the nicest driver I could and fix it up while you enjoy it. I think you did very well. Our cars are so much alike, even down to the horrible Yorx AC compressor and torn throttle push rod bushing gasket.

IF you have any questions, please ask us. We are here to help and foster any good will toward Z owners anywhere.
    WELCOME
    Thanks for your input.
    I actually will probably never use the ac, so in time will probably clean up engine bay by removing and promptly shipping south to interested heat scorched buyer.
    what do you think the ac components are worth?

anyways, i paid 5900$ for the car so i feel better you guys like what you see.
    does anyone have any more input on anything they see?
    i do find the intake side has alot of extra stuff on it compared to my previous 73. stuff like backfire sys. vacuum diaphrams, and the water sys for intake temp.
    i really hope i can clean this up over time. looks a little crowded around carbs in my opinion.

Member ID
    CZCC-26191

Beautiful Z.
    Please just send all your extra parts to me.

Member ID
    CZCC-22854

Just from the pics, I see a bunch of rubber stuff like hoses seals and boots that are rough. My first addition to your list of things to do will be this, and I highly advise you give it high priority as these out of site out of mind hoses are almost always overlooked. LOOK AT THE FUEL TANK PLUMBING!! All you need do is pull the rear and pasenger side interrior panels to expose and inspect these hoses, well worth a half hour of your time.

Great car!

Member ID
    CZCC-23165

good advice on the rubber, hoses, etc. thanks
    will do this weekend.
    it's our thanksgiving this weekend, so should have a little time to spare

Boat Anchor Repairman Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-24608

Quote Originally Posted by pacemkr View Post
    i do find the intake side has alot of extra stuff on it compared to my previous 73. stuff like backfire sys. vacuum diaphrams, and the water sys for intake temp.
    i really hope i can clean this up over time. looks a little crowded around carbs in my opinion.
    Wait a minute... You're saying that this car is more complicated than a 73 you used to own? That doesn't make sense... The 73's had the first year of the flat-tops and all the associated complexity of the EGR and thermostatic air cleaner and CARB can, and and, and...

This car you've pictured should be way simpler!

Member ID
    CZCC-26208

Congrats on the purchase, she is beautiful and worth every penny of $5900. I love that it is so original and still orange and not painted over in another "more popular" color. As others have said before, inspect the fuel vent lines. Seeing that the car is 40 years old and they look good it would be good to go ahead and start making plans to replace them in the near future as they do breakdown and will start to leak. The job is some what of a PITA but totally worth doing as you should not have to worry about them for another 40 years. Again, congrats and we look forward to more updates and pictures as you work on it.
    08/1970 240z Series-1 #8011 - Silver, black int., 2.4L I-6, 5spd, 90% restored.
    06/1973 VW Karmann Ghia - Black convertible, 4spd, 1600cc air-cooled engine.
    11/2013 Scion FR-S - Silver, 6spd, a car with the soul of a Z for the modern times.
    Restoration thread of my old '72 240z -> http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/o...1972-240z.html

Member ID
    CZCC-23165

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Wait a minute... You're saying that this car is more complicated than a 73 you used to own? That doesn't make sense... The 73's had the first year of the flat-tops and all the associated complexity of the EGR and thermostatic air cleaner and CARB can, and and, and...

This car you've pictured should be way simpler!
    im not sure but i still think this thing looks alot more cluttered.
    my 73 was owned by my brother since almost new, and i think he had removed alot of the hardware over time.
    i also had a 71 motor on a stand for a while, it looked alot cleaner too without the water sys, and anti backfire.

since this was a california car, did it recieve more attention for pollution than the other states' cars. in particular, did the other state cars have anti backfire and pump?

thanks guys for all the input.

Member ID
    CZCC-26581

Thats a good price for that car. Its a solid foundation, very minimal issues to start with. You are lucky to have found one in such shape. Glad it found another owner who will take great care of it. Congratulations. You picked the best color too IMO!! As for the intake manifold, It looks like the smog system has been deleted already. To clean it up further you could get a header or try to remove the header that is on it and remove the tubes on each pipe but most of the time they are so seized with rust its a real fight. Somone has already put the earlier SU carbs on it for you and they appear to be pretty fresh from looking from the outside. They perform WAY better than the original 73 carbs. Depending on how much you want to keep it original many of the things i've said stray farther from it. I really like the way these carbs look with the what I call "euro" style pod filers on them removing the big bulky air cleaner box. Black dragon auto has them. I've got them on my L24 powered Z and noticed a little performance gain with them. Not much I will say but noticeable enough for me to not go back. Have you popped the distributor cap off yet to see if it is still points ignition?

Member ID
    CZCC-23165

actually, just recieved the major tune kit from motorsport auto yesterday in the mail along with new orange wires. you yanks get stuff so much cheaper than we do, that kit would cost 100$ easy here in canada.
    anyways, yeah, it still has point/condens ignition. so im loooking forward to installing that stuff.
    thanks for the input on the water sys on the manifold. that was a concern of mine. would like to go with the header, but was weary about getting rid of those water pipes.
    I'll do a search, im sure i can find a 'how to' on that.
    anyways, thanks so much for the input.

Member ID
    CZCC-24608

A stock 73 is way more complicated and cluttered than what you have here. If this most recent purchase is a 73, then someone has made a lot of changes to the carbs and emissions controls.

I took a look back through the thread, and I'm not sure you ever mentioned what year this car is... What is it?

Member ID
    CZCC-23165

sorry for confusion folks,\
    this car is a 72. looks like pretty original.
    was just saying i wanted to simplify the intake side a bit and was comparing to my 73 that i previously had owned.
    my previous 73 had been stripped down quite a bit from the stock config.
    captain obvious. lol , i like that handle.

Member ID
    CZCC-24608

That makes much more sense for the new purchase to be a 72. And with that in mind, it looks pretty original to me too. There has already been some simplifying of the intake side already done though... When supplied new, you had:

A PCV system.
    A throttle opener system.
    An evaporative emissions control system (flow guide operated).
    An air injection system (the air pump system).
    An anti-backfire valve system.
    An intake manifold and carb heating system.

Of those, it looks like everything is intact with the exception of most of the air pump system and your anti-backfire valve (which is incorporated into the air pump plumbing). The only thing remaining from the air pump system is the air galley leading into your exhaust manifold and the check valve (that goes nowhere stub of tube pointing at your front carb).

All of this may sound complicated, but just wait... Here's what the 73 looked like new. Complete with flat tops in all thier glory :

In addition to all the stuff you got in 72, you also get an EGR system, a thermostatic air cleaner, an more complicated throttle opener system, a much more complicated carb and intake manifold heating system, separate idle circuit plumbing, etc!

So if you're comparing your current 72 to your prior 73 and the 73 was simpler, then there must have been some serious work done to that 73!
    Last edited by Captain Obvious; 10-05-2012 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Typo

Member ID
    CZCC-24608

And.... I've been digressing into the comparison of the 72 and 73 and haven't even yet commented on your car in general...

Congrats! It's a beauty!!

Member ID
    CZCC-23165

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10-06 13.40.26.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	56904. YEAH. . 73 had allot of 'work' but i aint gonna tell ya it was professional
    thanks for the time spent with that reply
    here's what my ugly 73 looked like.
    and heres what my 71 motor that i never got to use looked like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10-06 13.40.17.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	56905  

Member ID
    CZCC-24608

Heh. I suspect there are very few 73's or 74's that still have all the emissions stuff still intact.

Congrats again on the new purchase! If that body is as good as it looks, then you got a real nice one there!

Member ID
    CZCC-23165

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Heh. I suspect there are very few 73's or 74's that still have all the emissions stuff still intact.

Congrats again on the new purchase! If that body is as good as it looks, then you got a real nice one there!
    do me a favor.
    i've asked this question already but still have my doubts,, My engine block is stamped on passenger side with 'L26'. what the heck?
    is this a motor previosly in a 260? it does have e88 heads, and round top su's as youve seen in the picks.
    and yes, body is in great shape, an absolute blessing to find like that. paint job is shiny and pretty, but not the best quality tape job, rubber trim and such has a little overspray. but, it has no rust on rails, floors, other prob spot so im happy. just would really like to figure this block stamp issue out.

Member ID
    CZCC-16944

Is the stamp between the 5th and 6th cylinders, on a milled area, and followed by a five or six digit number? If so, then I'm pretty sure the engine came from or is for a 260. I have a '72 and it has an ID plate on the right front shock tower with the VIN and engine number. I can't tell from your engine shots if you have one or not, it might be a little lower. Also, I was curious about the sticker on the hood. That's a tune-up / emission sticker, isn't it? I didn't think they came out until a couple of years later, but could well be wrong on that. Regardless, what year does it say?

Nice car though. I'm positively jealous over the condition of the rubber and plastic I see in the engine compartment.

Chris

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Power wash then paint that motor to make it very nice now that you have it out. Even painting with a brush would be fine.
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

Thread Information